Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: A MONDAY KIND OF MONDAY  (Read 72141 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re: A MONDAY KIND OF MONDAY
« Reply #90 on: October 06, 2008, 08:25:15 AM »

Off to get cleaned up for lunch out with friends.

WBBL.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #91 on: October 06, 2008, 08:25:38 AM »

Can't do a page dance now. Will do one later today to make up for it.

;D
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Ginny

« Reply #92 on: October 06, 2008, 08:28:32 AM »

Monday morning greetings!  I'm just arriving at work, because I had a doctor's appointment this morning.  Just a routine follow-up - 2 blood tests and a flu shot.  He wants me to stay on the blood thinners until after I retire.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #93 on: October 06, 2008, 08:28:47 AM »

Happiest of birthdays to DR JMK!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #94 on: October 06, 2008, 08:31:18 AM »

Favorite screen comedians:

Charlie Chaplin - THE CIRCUS, CITY LIGHTS, the Mutual comedies

Buster Keaton - STEAMBOAT BILL, JR., SHERLOCK, JR., THE GENERAL

The Marx Bros. - HORSE FEATHERS, THE COCOANUTS, DUCK SOUP, ANIMAL CRACKERS

W. C. Fields - THE BANK DICK, NEVER GIVE A SUCKER AN EVEN BREAK, IT'S A GIFT

Thanks, DR Matt--I plumb forgot about Buster Keaton and W C Fields!
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #95 on: October 06, 2008, 08:32:18 AM »

So... I know we're not supposed to talk the P-Word here on HHW - Politics, that is - but...

-And this is essentially a bi-partisan - well, actually non-partisan issue, question, query...

It's been interesting reading some of the analyses of the Vice Presidential Candidates debate - as well as some of the continued follow-up of the first Presidential Candidates debate.  I keep reading about how some people are "frustrated" that they didn't learn anything new about the candidates... How they were hoping to see if either candidate had a change in opinion or policy about a particular issue.  Well...

Now that we're just a month away from the Election, wouldn't you hope that there would be no changes in opinions or policy on either side?   Unless someone ends up having a major slip of the tongue, or something unseemly is brought up from their past, I would think that both sides would "simply" be standing by and on their platforms and continuing to spread the word about their platform.  There really should be no "shocking" news at this point in the race.  Right?

Yes or No?

-I do know there is still the "Undecided" portion of the electorate, but I'm not referring to them.  ;)

*bk - You can ask and choose to delete this post, but I really am looking for just "Yes" or "No" answers.  -And if anyone would care to elucidate, they can just PM me with their prose.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #96 on: October 06, 2008, 08:33:39 AM »

He wants me to stay on the blood thinners until after I retire.

:-\

Is it possible that your condition is related to your job?  Maybe some sort of allergic reaction to bookbinding glue?  ;)

In any case... How's your foot this morning?
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #97 on: October 06, 2008, 08:38:23 AM »

The roadshow version of Far From the Madding Crowd ran 168 minutes.  The only other longer cut listed on the imdb is 170 minutes.  So, the uncut International version runs two minutes longer than the US version.  Chips and Madding Crowd are cause for celebrating - except they're from Warners and I think we all know by now that the color will be off.  The only way it can be escaped is if this release is like the recent western set, where they just didn't give a crap about the transfers at all and put up whatever source they had and didn't do anything - hence, a couple had decent color.

MBarnum

« Reply #98 on: October 06, 2008, 08:41:31 AM »

A very, very, very (that is 3 verys) Happy Birthday to you JMK of the Pacific Northwest!

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #99 on: October 06, 2008, 08:43:31 AM »

Happy birthday, Dear Reader JMK!
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #100 on: October 06, 2008, 08:44:03 AM »

Falafel!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #101 on: October 06, 2008, 08:44:09 AM »

Glad to hear about GOODBYE MR. CHIPS (wonder if they'll locate the snipped material from the original roadshow version) and especially FAR FROM THE MADDING CROWD, which I like to torment Betsy with by showing her the scene where the idiot Collie leads all the sheep off the cliff.  Of course I maintain our late collie Ethel was the stupidest dog ever, but Betsy loved her like no other.

I'd love for LORD JIM to finally get released, too.  Love that Kaper score with all the Gamelan stuff.

Are you aware that the score, as it appears on LP, was remastered for CD?  It sounds wonderful.

But of course.  You think you're the only FSM geek around these parts?  ;)
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

« Reply #102 on: October 06, 2008, 08:45:41 AM »

Glad to hear about GOODBYE MR. CHIPS (wonder if they'll locate the snipped material from the original roadshow version) and especially FAR FROM THE MADDING CROWD, which I like to torment Betsy with by showing her the scene where the idiot Collie leads all the sheep off the cliff.  Of course I maintain our late collie Ethel was the stupidest dog ever, but Betsy loved her like no other.

I'd love for LORD JIM to finally get released, too.  Love that Kaper score with all the Gamelan stuff.

Lord Jim has been out on DVD for years.

Really?  Region 1?  (I don't have one of those dagblasted newfangled all region players).

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

« Reply #103 on: October 06, 2008, 08:46:38 AM »

Happy Birthday, DR JMK!

Thanks for the snark-free wishes, RLP!   ;D

Ginny

« Reply #104 on: October 06, 2008, 08:47:26 AM »

He wants me to stay on the blood thinners until after I retire.

:-\

Is it possible that your condition is related to your job?  Maybe some sort of allergic reaction to bookbinding glue?  ;)

Could be, DR Jose, could be.  If anything, the lack of time for regularly-scheduled exercise and the amount of sitting I do are probably the biggest health risks of my job.

In any case... How's your foot this morning?

Thanks for asking.  As Richard predicted, it swelled up a little overnight.  I'm wearing my lace-up shoes again today and will try sleeping in a compression stocking to see if I can prevent that.

JMK

« Reply #105 on: October 06, 2008, 08:47:27 AM »

According to the press release, CHIPS will be the intact roadshow version.

MADDING CROWD will be the uncut international version, not the version that played the US.

I wonder if that will have that brief song Chips sings toward the end, then?

JMK

« Reply #106 on: October 06, 2008, 08:48:25 AM »

Happiest of birthdays to DR JMK!

Thank you for coming out of retirement to wish me that, Ginny!   ;D

JMK

« Reply #107 on: October 06, 2008, 08:49:01 AM »

A very, very, very (that is 3 verys) Happy Birthday to you JMK of the Pacific Northwest!

Thanks, Mike, though where did you get a picture of me in my longjohns?

Kerry

« Reply #108 on: October 06, 2008, 08:49:19 AM »

Happy Birthday, Dear Reader JMK!
I like boat races.

JMK

« Reply #109 on: October 06, 2008, 08:50:26 AM »

Thanks, Kerry.  My paternal grandmother came from your county, BTW.  ;)

MBarnum

« Reply #110 on: October 06, 2008, 08:51:42 AM »

Sad news to report: Actor Robert Arthur has passed away. I remember him best in the teen film YOUNG AND WILD (1958) opposite my good friend Carolyn Kearney. He certainly was a lot older then I thought...he played teenagers right up into his mid 30s!

Robert Arthur, 83, a youthful-looking actor who had supporting roles in such 1940s and '50s films as "Twelve O'Clock High," "Just for You" and "Hellcats of the Navy," died of congestive heart failure Wednesday at his home in Aberdeen, Wash., said his friend Harold Fairbanks.

Also known as Bob, he was born Robert Paul Arthaud on June 18, 1925, in Aberdeen. After high school, he served in the Navy, then went to Hollywood looking for work as an actor.

He was cast in bit parts in Warner Bros. and 20th Century Fox films, and then got what he considered his big break in the 1948 western "Green Grass of Wyoming," part of the "My Friend Flicka" series.

Soon after came a series of supporting roles in military dramas, including "Twelve O'Clock High" with Gregory Peck (1949), "Air Cadet" (1951), "Take the High Ground!" (1953) and "Hellcats of the Navy" with Ronald Reagan (1957).

Arthur also appeared in "September Affair," a drama starring Joseph Cotten and Joan Fontaine (1950); "Ace in the Hole," the 1951 film noir starring Kirk Douglas; and "Just for You," a 1952 musical starring Bing Crosby, Jane Wyman and featuring Natalie Wood.

Arthur had some parts in TV productions, including "The Lone Ranger," but left acting in the 1960s. In 1991, he returned to guest star as the minister who marries Jesse and Becky on the TV sit-com "Full House."

While his acting career was on the shelf, Arthur bounced around to several jobs before becoming an insurance salesman.

He also became an activist for the rights of gay senior citizens and was involved with the Log Cabin Club for gay Republicans.

Kerry

« Reply #111 on: October 06, 2008, 08:54:53 AM »

Thanks, Kerry.  My paternal grandmother came from your county, BTW.  ;)
Did she do the Kerry dances?
I like boat races.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #112 on: October 06, 2008, 08:56:15 AM »

Tonight, I'm having dinner with my friend Bruce Pomahac at O'Neal's and then we're seeing this Schmidt-Jones tribute at Merkin Hall.

There are a LOT of theatre-related events tonight here in NYC..

Broadway in South Africa at Symphony Space.

The aforementioned Broadway Close Up: Jones & Schmidt tribute at Merkin Concert Hall.

Revival: Broadway's Next Act at Carnegie Hall's Zankel Hall.

A Ricky Ian Gordon concert and Judy Kuhn back at Joe's Pub.

And Julie Andrews is receiving the 2008 National Arts Lifetime Achievement Award tonight too from Americans for the Arts[.

Plus the usual Monday night events at Splash, Birdland, The Metropolitan Room, The Triad, The Duplex, etc., etc., etc.

Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #113 on: October 06, 2008, 09:09:42 AM »

JMK - Lord Jim was indeed a region one release - I say "was" because it appears to be out of print - readily available for higher prices via amazon sellers, although this list price on it was high to begin with, I think - about 24.98.

http://www.amazon.com/Lord-Jim-Peter-OToole/dp/B0002GTWQA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1223309260&sr=1-1

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #114 on: October 06, 2008, 09:15:38 AM »

DR JMK,

Enjoy your chocolate cake today.

JMK

« Reply #115 on: October 06, 2008, 09:17:17 AM »

DR JMK,

Thanks, Jane--and just the right amount of candles, I might add!

JMK

« Reply #116 on: October 06, 2008, 09:17:56 AM »

Oooh, isn't that sweet department:  Why, some thoughtful person has subscribed me to Fox News Alerts for my birthday.  I just wonder who that might have been.  ;)

singdaw

« Reply #117 on: October 06, 2008, 09:24:37 AM »

I think DR JMK wrote that he is without this year, due to DW Betsy's travels.

Cybil makes hers with mayonnaise!   ;)

singdaw

« Reply #118 on: October 06, 2008, 09:26:57 AM »

How many licks does it take to get to the center of a Tootsie Rolls Pop?

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #119 on: October 06, 2008, 09:27:10 AM »

I missed DW Betsy has not returned home, or is she too tired to make the cake?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10   Go Up