Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: THE IMPONDERABLES  (Read 24946 times)

DAW

Re: THE IMPONDERABLES
« Reply #120 on: January 26, 2009, 10:37:36 AM »

Thanks for the link, DR JRand58!

DAW

« Reply #121 on: January 26, 2009, 10:38:06 AM »

Back to eating onions.  NO ONE is gonna seat near me at this afternoon's meeting!

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #122 on: January 26, 2009, 10:40:36 AM »

Back to eating onions.  NO ONE is gonna seat near me at this afternoon's meeting!

Do they ever?   ;D
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #123 on: January 26, 2009, 10:42:06 AM »

well, suppose I should get back to work. There is lots of it to do, I just don't feel like doing it

Ditto.  I just can't get motivated today...
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

DAW

« Reply #124 on: January 26, 2009, 10:45:08 AM »

Do they ever? 

Not if they can help it!

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #125 on: January 26, 2009, 11:02:14 AM »

Here's a commercial announcement for those of you who live in the Los Angeles area...or are willing to fly in.

::)

I will be signing copies of my book, ONCE UPON A TIME IN HOLLYWOOD: From  the Secret Files of Harry Pennypacker, on this comong Saturday, January 31st, at 1 pm at the Mystery and Imagination Bookstore, 238 N. Brand Blvd., Glendale, CA 91203.

The phone number of the store is 818-545-0206.

So, please drop everything.  Quit your job.  Leave your spouse.  And, just get on a plane and attend this gala event.

Thanks.

;D

But we already HAVE our copy!

If I may recommend a place for a late lunch/early dinner post signage, I'd suggest Jax Bar & Grill, just up the Boulevard and across the street at 339 N. Brand.  It's a nice, wood-paneled joint with good food at decent prices.  Der B and I used to eat there fairly often, back when I was working in Glendale. 

Drop by and I'll sign it anyway.

:)
You can dream…or you can do.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #126 on: January 26, 2009, 11:06:17 AM »

Good Afternoon!

Well... Maybe all those Broadway shows did not close after all. At least it didn't seem like they had from the rather lackluster turnout this morning. ??? :-\
Make Your Own Luck.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #127 on: January 26, 2009, 11:06:49 AM »

Here's a commercial announcement for those of you who live in the Los Angeles area...or are willing to fly in.

::)

I will be signing copies of my book, ONCE UPON A TIME IN HOLLYWOOD: From  the Secret Files of Harry Pennypacker, on this comong Saturday, January 31st, at 1 pm at the Mystery and Imagination Bookstore, 238 N. Brand Blvd., Glendale, CA 91203.

The phone number of the store is 818-545-0206.

So, please drop everything.  Quit your job.  Leave your spouse.  And, just get on a plane and attend this gala event.

Thanks.

;D

I'm tempted.  My grandnephew is turning one and I would love to see him.  The fares are actually decent with the cheapest round trip at around $540.  For that "great" fare I can fly through Portland or Seattle, non stop is more expensive & difficult to get.

I bet there are better deals between L.A. & the East Coast.

NPR did a big story yesterday on fare wars--they're the lowest they've ever been.  Most airlines are now offering $49 fares one way to major cities.

I looked for some of those deals.  They aren't happening from here :( at least I couldn't find them.  Visiting L.A. would be nice & I would like to visit my friend in Philadelphia & as a bonus see Craig.  For a good price I would even go while it is cold.

Try SW.  They're always running deals.  Sandy and I are going to Austin again the first week in march for about $438.00 round trip.
You can dream…or you can do.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #128 on: January 26, 2009, 11:07:27 AM »

Moving on...

I am - what else? - a Monkey.

:) ;D
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #129 on: January 26, 2009, 11:09:16 AM »

Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #130 on: January 26, 2009, 11:14:02 AM »

DR Jane - Keep checking for airfares, but make sure you go through each airline's websites. As others have already mentioned, there are some great deals out there right now, with new specials coming up almost hourly.

I booked my ticket for Memphis last week. Northwest extended their winter fare sale, and I ended up with a better price than the ones that came up in December and at the beginning of this month. In fact, it cost me $50.00 more last year for the same itinerary.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #131 on: January 26, 2009, 11:15:02 AM »

And now... Lunch!

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #132 on: January 26, 2009, 11:27:50 AM »

I am a Tiger, as I said, but neglected to add....metal.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #133 on: January 26, 2009, 11:37:03 AM »

Back from the errand and a very brisk long jog, I even wrote the opening line of the new chapter just to do it, and now I shall be on my way to Druxy's.

DAW

« Reply #134 on: January 26, 2009, 11:39:07 AM »

I am a Tiger, as I said, but neglected to add....metal.

Tomovoz

« Reply #135 on: January 26, 2009, 11:58:38 AM »

! ! ! ! !  HAPPY AUSTRAILIA DAY TO DR TOMOVOZ  ! ! ! ! !

Thank you DR DtM

I hope DR Edi coped as well as possible today.

"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #136 on: January 26, 2009, 12:00:13 PM »

I am one of those people who just did not ever "Get" Lena Horne.

I would prefer Leslie Uggams (on a good day!) Is she still on the Mitch Miller show with Diana Trask?
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #137 on: January 26, 2009, 12:04:32 PM »

DR DAKOTA CELT

The solar eclipse this morning combined with the continuing Mercury retrograde compounded computer and communication problems.

BUT the Mercury retrograde ends on February 1 - so we only have six more days of this stuff to endure.

Hallelujah!
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #138 on: January 26, 2009, 12:05:06 PM »

Last night DR Jose said:
Quote from: Dan (the Man) on January 25, 2009, 10:34:12 PM
Well, I'm off to start a book I'm pretty sure I first heard about here--THE RED LEATHER DIARY.  I hope it's as good as what I've been hearing about it.

Are you sure you didn't hear about the book on Twitter? 

And you can also check it out here:  http://www.redleatherdiary.com

*It's actually very "cool" book, and a very good read.  DRs Jane and Ginny et all may find the "premise" quite fascinating.

D'oh!  Yep, it was on Twitter.  And yes, I think a lot of people here might like this book.  I'm enjoying it much, especially because of the early '30s New York City setting.

I will have to check out both Twitter and the book.
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #139 on: January 26, 2009, 12:06:43 PM »

Happy Australia Day Tom!!

Have a great day!

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #140 on: January 26, 2009, 12:10:29 PM »

And the word of the day is: STEATOPYGIA!

Something I no longer have a problem with.

And The Song Of The Day Is: TOO FAT POLKA

Odd, I'd have thought it would have been HALLELUJAH, I'M A BUM!

Or BABY GOT BACK.

for some reason that reminds me of a clip from youtube link that Edi put on the board some time ago of that song being done to a clip from Pirates of Penzance.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #141 on: January 26, 2009, 12:15:24 PM »

Today's Visitor Log:

Visitors from Arizona:

Proof the Penaut Butter on the tree trunk trick works;

der Brucer

We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #142 on: January 26, 2009, 12:17:08 PM »

SNAKE:
 (wood)

and...

Celebrities include:
Mendelssohn - Jacqueline Onassis - Picasso - Audrey Hepburn

The person born in the year of the snake often make their way to the top of success. Unlike the Dragon however, they are more restrained and refined. They are in no means, pushy, and have a knack for being at the right place at the right time. They make decisions quickly and firmly.

Intelligent and careful, snake-people make good research scientists, philosophers, detectives, or professors. They have a very analytical mind, yet seem to have an ability to "sense" a good thing when they see it.

They lean toward elegance and expensiveness. It is unlikely to find a snake person wearing bold colors and gaudy dress. In money matters, the Snake has good fortune, but is often considered "tight", except with close friends and loved ones.

The Snake and its complementary sign, the Dragon, form the "House of Mystery" in Chinese mythology. The Dragon is the gaudy magician, the Snake is the contemplative mystic. The snake is closely associated with plots and counter-plots, scandal and corruption. The expression "long snake" in Chinese means "intrigue". Unlike in America, the traditional Chinese believe it unlucky to kill a snake which enters the house because it could be the bearer of good fortune.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #143 on: January 26, 2009, 12:17:14 PM »

Old Stand-by

New Arrivals - Red Winged Black Bids with the Mourning Doves

der Brucer
« Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 12:19:17 PM by DERBRUCER »

DERBRUCER

« Reply #144 on: January 26, 2009, 12:31:38 PM »

TOD (non-Bond spy movies)

The Man Who Knew Too Much
The Man Who Never Was
The Ipcress File

der Brucer

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #145 on: January 26, 2009, 12:32:37 PM »

Winston Churchill, George Gershwin, Michael Jackson, Madonna and I are Dogs.

We are all going to meet for drinks tonight to discuss this.

I am Also. How about Sixish?

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #146 on: January 26, 2009, 12:36:48 PM »

There were people out by the pool tanning the last two days.  They obviously weren't natives as natives don't go out to the pool until the air temperature is at least 80 degrees.  It couldn't have been more than 78 on Saturday; what were those fools thinking?!?!?!

Bring the warm!

An acquaintance of mine was in FL at Disney World and the guy looked at them oddly when they came to the rides in short sleeved shirts and he was wearing a parka.

Still my favorite memory is when I was on a trip to DC with other youth and it was April. DC was having a cold April and we proceeded to play game of Volleyball outside at the 4H center in Chevy Chase, MD. It was about 45 degrees out and we soundly defeated the southerners where wearing having winter gear. We were dressed in sweatpants and shorts. There was a gal from Mississippi who had on snow boots, a heavy parka, earmuffs and thick gloves. We shook our heads.  THe gal from New Mexico thought it was nice out.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #147 on: January 26, 2009, 12:54:44 PM »

Back from Druxy's and must now write.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #148 on: January 26, 2009, 12:56:28 PM »

I'm up, I'm up.  Last night, the weather person reported that we would have the rains back this morning making commutes horrible.  Naturally, the sky is bright blue, no clouds and, wait for it, no rain.

Well, "LA" is more than just Studio City:

LATIMES

Scattered showers that cooled temperatures in Southern California over the weekend turned into pea-sized hail Sunday night and early this morning in foothill communities lining the San Gabriel Mountains.

About 11:30 p.m. Sunday, officials started receiving reports of the hail, which blanketed streets and accrued up to half an inch in some areas, said Stuart Seto of the National Weather Service. The hailstorm appears to have moved east, starting in Altadena and passing through Sierra Madre and Duarte, with the last reports coming about 12:40 this morning from Glendora.

Some lightning and brief, heavy downpours accompanied the light hail (hail isn’t considered severe until it reaches three-quarters of an inch, Seto said). Freezing levels had dropped to 4,000 feet, which helped make the hail.

der Brucer

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #149 on: January 26, 2009, 01:03:11 PM »

Winston Churchill, George Gershwin, Michael Jackson, Madonna and I are Dogs.

We are all going to meet for drinks tonight to discuss this.

I am Also. How about Sixish?

I don't know that club--how about Velour?
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12   Go Up