Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: TO BE A CYNIC OR NOT TO BE A CYNIC - THAT IS THE QUESTION  (Read 5001 times)

FJL

Re: TO BE A CYNIC OR NOT TO BE A CYNIC - THAT IS THE QUESTION
« Reply #120 on: March 22, 2020, 04:20:09 PM »

My brother has asked me if I want to go to the Old Folk's Hour at WalMart at 7 a.m. on Tuesday.....why - I said to myself - not?

My parody book volume 5 is sold out at Walmart.  Or at least out of stock. 
https://www.walmart.com/ip/21st-Century-Oldies-Volume-5-Broadway-Parody-Lyrics-What-You-Did-Got-Snubbed-9781729845646/886594255

it looks like we sent them 3 copies, just really so it would show up on their site, but why were they charging close to $10?

FJL

« Reply #121 on: March 22, 2020, 04:22:01 PM »

It's still $5.99 Amazon.  Why would Walmart charge more?

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #122 on: March 22, 2020, 04:39:19 PM »

Gee, BK, and I thought I was being amusing, as usual.  Perhaps we all need to use smiley faces, so that no one can misunderstand our posts.  😜
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #123 on: March 22, 2020, 04:43:58 PM »

Hello, everyone.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #124 on: March 22, 2020, 04:44:12 PM »

It's a quiet, slightly rainy day here.

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #125 on: March 22, 2020, 04:50:37 PM »

So, since I've been home all day, here is the exciting news from my street:

1. Passersby on their bikes like my wildflower yard.
2. One neighbor was arguing on the phone with his father that this whole virus is a hoax.
3. A neighbor was trying to dig a tree stump out of his yard and hit the water line.
4. A couple of kids were apparently fishing in the canal. I don't know if they caught anything.

Exciting, this quarantine thing.

It is always nice to have entertainment.  Why are you not also getting out for walks?

The oak pollen is so heavy here that walking in it would be too nasty to consider.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #126 on: March 22, 2020, 04:53:01 PM »

Finished the Chinatown book - at the end he thanks his editor twice, but apparently the editor's job was not correcting numerous name misspellings, numerous incomprehensible sentences that I'm sure happened when the author revised but no one caught, and just a lot of sloppy writing.  I can't remember much about the Fosse book - is it, too, like this one?

Martin Gottfried's Fosse bio was the one where tall, gorgeous black dancer Thelma Oliver was called Thelma Ritter, who was anything but.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2020, 05:29:30 PM by John G. »
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #127 on: March 22, 2020, 04:54:13 PM »

Finished the Chinatown book - at the end he thanks his editor twice, but apparently the editor's job was not correcting numerous name misspellings, numerous incomprehensible sentences that I'm sure happened when the author revised but no one caught, and just a lot of sloppy writing.  I can't remember much about the Fosse book - is it, too, like this one?

Martin Gottfried's Fosse bio was the one where tall, gorgeous black dancer Thelma Oliver was called Thelma Ritter, who anything but.

Oh my.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #128 on: March 22, 2020, 04:56:19 PM »

All of BK's posts about food made me salivate for a very nice meal. There's a little Indian restaurant in Brentwood that I sometimes order from, so I went to their website. They've changed the software and it's buggy. I phoned and placed the order the old-fashioned way, but the woman got my address wrong--3 blocks off. The driver called, though, and I now have my food.

BBL.

Jane

« Reply #129 on: March 22, 2020, 05:13:24 PM »

So, since I've been home all day, here is the exciting news from my street:

1. Passersby on their bikes like my wildflower yard.
2. One neighbor was arguing on the phone with his father that this whole virus is a hoax.
3. A neighbor was trying to dig a tree stump out of his yard and hit the water line.
4. A couple of kids were apparently fishing in the canal. I don't know if they caught anything.

Exciting, this quarantine thing.

It is always nice to have entertainment.  Why are you not also getting out for walks?

The oak pollen is so heavy here that walking in it would be too nasty to consider.

I am sorry it is so hard on you.  We had hundreds of oak trees in Ashland.  Even Sherlock was allergic to them.

Jane

« Reply #130 on: March 22, 2020, 05:15:02 PM »

All of BK's posts about food made me salivate for a very nice meal. There's a little Indian restaurant in Brentwood that I sometimes order from, so I went to their website. They've changed the software and it's buggy. I phoned and placed the order the old-fashioned way, but the woman got my address wrong--3 blocks off. The driver called, though, and I now have my food.

BBL.

What is the name of the restaurant?   We order food to go when we have family dinners at my brother's.

Jane

« Reply #131 on: March 22, 2020, 05:15:47 PM »

Normally we pick up the food.  We should think about having it delivered.

John G.

« Reply #132 on: March 22, 2020, 05:30:19 PM »

BBL.

Glad you got your food.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #133 on: March 22, 2020, 05:36:51 PM »

Watching Pasolini's version of The Canterbury tales. It has its moments, but overall, I'm finding the movie boring. The pacing is all over the place. Too much Pasolini and not enough Chaucer. Plus, the badly dubbed Italian is irritating and too loud.
― Voltaire

Jane

« Reply #134 on: March 22, 2020, 05:41:11 PM »

I learned a new word today.

Covidiot: Noun

"A stupid person who stubbornly ignores social distancing

A stupid person who hoards goods, denying them from their neighbors & spreading covid-19 fears.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #135 on: March 22, 2020, 05:42:03 PM »

BBL.

What is the name of the restaurant?   We order food to go when we have family dinners at my brother's.

India's Tandoori. Apparently, there are two restaurants in LA with that name or very similar. Make sure it's the Brentwood location (Wilshire Blvd).

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #136 on: March 22, 2020, 05:44:53 PM »

Larry, so sorry about your surgery being postponed. I know what it's like to anticipate and plan and do for weeks to prepare, and then it has to all be done over again.

Rest and relax. Covid-19 is enough to worry about.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #137 on: March 22, 2020, 05:46:59 PM »

There is a man on TV talking about things to do while at home and each and every thing he mentioned was about the internet and apps.....no mention of reading a book, listening to music, or talking to someone else in the house.

Jrand, you are sooo last century! Books went out of fashion yeeeaaaarrrsss ago! Along with so much else.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #138 on: March 22, 2020, 05:48:32 PM »

Just shoot me now.....I thought it was Monday and rolled the trash bin down to the street.

Now the neighborhood knows I've lost it......

;D

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #139 on: March 22, 2020, 05:54:26 PM »

Just placed another Gelson's Instacart but to deliver here directly - will come Friday - not a big order, just a new jar of Noxema (not something folks are hoarding) and hopefully some tuna (which people ARE hoarding), a couple of other minor items that should be in stock.

Wouldn't you do just as well at Amazon? Or are they out of items you're looking for?

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #140 on: March 22, 2020, 05:55:46 PM »

Is there any reason when you have early surgery you can't (maybe because of age or whatnot) have support  that you need to be there from the night before, rather than being out looking for a cab at 5 am?

Other than the insurance not covering it?

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #141 on: March 22, 2020, 06:06:54 PM »

Some of you may have seen the article last Friday in the NY Times By David Katz, MD. He feels the US (and others) is taking too general of an approach to the pandemic. Today, Tom Friedman echoed Dr Katz's opinion. I am also of that view. We are wrecking the economy and lots of financial lives, too. Be safe, yes -- more cleaning, distancing -- but some of the restrictions here make no sense to me. No more drive-in theatres, for instance. There aren't many left, to start with, but how could that speed the spread? Like Dr Katz, I feel we need a targeted approach.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #142 on: March 22, 2020, 06:07:42 PM »

BBL.

Glad you got your food.

thanks. Me, too. Particularly after BK's stories.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #143 on: March 22, 2020, 06:08:57 PM »

George, I've been meaning to ask you how your sister's haircut went. Are the two of you still speaking?

John G.

« Reply #144 on: March 22, 2020, 06:11:48 PM »

I learned a new word today.

Covidiot: Noun

"A stupid person who stubbornly ignores social distancing

A stupid person who hoards goods, denying them from their neighbors & spreading covid-19 fears.

There was a herd of covidiots at the donut place I went to earlier today. When I walked in the door, I was the only customer in the place. I heard the door open, but it wasn't until I turned around that I saw 15 or so people had jammed into the place behind me.
― Voltaire

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #145 on: March 22, 2020, 06:33:43 PM »

A Very Happy Birthday to both Stephen Sondheim and Andrew Lloyd Webber!! :D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jane

« Reply #146 on: March 22, 2020, 06:34:12 PM »

BBL.

India's Tandoori. Apparently, there are two restaurants in LA with that name or very similar. Make sure it's the Brentwood location (Wilshire Blvd).

Thanks.  I found it.  Of course who knows when we will go to LA again.

George

« Reply #147 on: March 22, 2020, 06:34:16 PM »

At 9:50 this morning, Dr Glickman, the urologist who was going to remove the tumor from my kidney, phoned to say that he and Dr Aronoff had decided to postpone the surgery for 4 weeks or so.

I wish he'd called before the first round of Surprep!

:o AARRGGH!!  That's too bad, Larry.  Hopefully, it won't get postponed again the next time.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #148 on: March 22, 2020, 06:34:33 PM »

I strolled in the other door, was able to not only get all the bread items for Mom and me but the deli was open and I was able to get a pound of ham

That's great, Vixmom!

George

« Reply #149 on: March 22, 2020, 06:34:43 PM »

He ended up handing me a package with 4 full double breasts in it, way more than I wanted  but I thanked him profusely and bought it

Nice!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Up