Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10   Go Down

Author Topic: THE UNSEEMLY BUTTO  (Read 26283 times)

Jed

Re:THE UNSEEMLY BUTTO
« Reply #180 on: January 21, 2004, 04:13:09 PM »

Well, I just sampled my first (and second, naturally) of DR Jane's Sour Cream Cookies.  They do definitely resemble snickerdoodles in appearance, but I wouldn't think anyone would mistake them after tasting.  Also, they're not as dense as any snickerdoodles I've had over the years.  A very nice, simple cookie.  Not a whole lot to it, but quite pleasant.  I can see them going very well as an accompaniment to some nice fresh fruit, perhaps.
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #181 on: January 21, 2004, 04:14:24 PM »

...and I still remember walking into a Men's Store so a friend could get a jacket, and a man following us and telling the clerk:  "I would like to see something in men's underpants."  

I'm sure as I scroll down, someone else will have beaten me to the punch, but...

Was it in Grace Brothers?

der Brucer
« Last Edit: January 21, 2004, 04:17:01 PM by DERBRUCER »
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #182 on: January 21, 2004, 04:20:13 PM »

Darling, those clubs were in Amsterdam, as I recall.   ::)

No dear. they were in London - before I even met you!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #183 on: January 21, 2004, 04:21:14 PM »

Very windy here in Los Angeles, California.  Will settle in for a long night of DVD watching.  Picked up Divorce American Style and an early copy of The Front.

We'll have two new Unseemly Interviews coming very soon, and also some new Juliana's Journal entries.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #184 on: January 21, 2004, 04:29:08 PM »

Have I mentioned that I can barely keep my eyes open?

Michael

« Reply #185 on: January 21, 2004, 04:29:44 PM »

TCB  That sounds like a fun event!  If nothing comes up to prevent me, I think I shall attend.  However, I'll have to check the dates, but I THINK that's around the time that Pirates of Penzance opens at UPS...and I happen to be in the cast, so I might be otherwise occupied :)

UPS? I rather have FEDEX
« Last Edit: January 21, 2004, 04:36:15 PM by Michael Shayne »
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #186 on: January 21, 2004, 04:35:59 PM »

That is true DRMichael Shayne - but I don't think the US is one of them.

Yes. I believe you can sue in the Provice of Quebec, Canada, but not any of the other provinces. If I remember correctly the biography of Errol Flynn that said he was a Nazi had a trial in Quebec because of what the book said. England has a very strong libel law.
Never stop dreaming.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #187 on: January 21, 2004, 04:40:31 PM »

I'm sure as I scroll down, someone else will have beaten me to the punch, but...

Was it in Grace Brothers?

der Brucer

Quite possibly - we left soon after and headed for OxFam!  ;D
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #188 on: January 21, 2004, 04:40:59 PM »

I can see them going very well as an accompaniment to some nice fresh fruit, perhaps.

OK, who'll be the first to pile on that line!

der Brucer (der trouble-maker)

DERBRUCER

« Reply #189 on: January 21, 2004, 04:50:11 PM »

DERBRUCER I was going to make some rather negative comments on that gross picture,

Which gross picture: Hercules as Li'l Abner or the Gov of CA?

der grossenpicxenposter Brucer

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #190 on: January 21, 2004, 04:51:19 PM »

Well, DR TCB, it's a little bit apples and oranges. While A STAR IS BORN was a remake, it was a musical remake of a non-musical film. Adding songs to an established source is a viable reason for remaking something. So many of our great stage and screen musicals did this.

This is a person (Leslie Bricusse) who was largely responsible for producing one film remaking the story (which has been remade to death) using the same basic material with some additions. Not quite the same thing.

Ah, I see MattH!  Turning a non-musical into a musical is not considered a remake, even though they call it a remake, and that is considered acceptable.  That must be what made Lost Horizon - The Musical is such a great film! :D
« Last Edit: January 21, 2004, 05:01:16 PM by TCB »
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #191 on: January 21, 2004, 04:56:01 PM »

Maybe it was our story and it WAS Lost Hairzon!

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #192 on: January 21, 2004, 04:57:47 PM »

Well, I just sampled my first (and second, naturally) of DR Jane's Sour Cream Cookies.  They do definitely resemble snickerdoodles in appearance, but I wouldn't think anyone would mistake them after tasting.  Also, they're not as dense as any snickerdoodles I've had over the years.  A very nice, simple cookie.  Not a whole lot to it, but quite pleasant.  I can see them going very well as an accompaniment to some nice fresh fruit, perhaps.

Try freezing a couple, and see if you like them better frozen.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #193 on: January 21, 2004, 04:57:50 PM »

Lost Hoirzon - The Musical such a great film! :D

Spelling, dear: It's "Lost Horrorizon"

Robin

« Reply #194 on: January 21, 2004, 05:03:54 PM »

Wow, is OZ really that violent? Hmmm...I was thinking about renting the series on DVD but I don't fair to well with graphically violent shows...I just thought it was about loving prisoners!

Well, I couldn't even describe the violence without making this an NC-17 website.  After seeing a particularly brutal scene, I felt personally assaulted.  No doubt this was the intention of the show, but if you get upset with seriously graphic violence, it might be better to take a pass on this trip to Oz.
Mankind needs God...like fish need bicycles!

Jed

« Reply #195 on: January 21, 2004, 05:14:44 PM »

Quote from: Jed on Today at 04:13:09pm
I can see them going very well as an accompaniment to some nice fresh fruit, perhaps.

OK, who'll be the first to pile on that line!

der Brucer (der trouble-maker)

I knew somebody would!  Thanks for not letting me down, der Brucer.

Jed

« Reply #196 on: January 21, 2004, 05:19:25 PM »

Well, that was fun.  Removing some biscuits from the oven, and the dish towel I was using for an oven mitt burst into flames right in my very hand!  No damage done, but I did find out that my smoke detector is very sensitive. :D

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #197 on: January 21, 2004, 05:19:53 PM »

No, DR MBarnum. While it has some of that, it is very violent and unpredictable. Better to let me inundate you with pics from the series (privately for there is considerable nudity) that you'd no doubt enjoy.

Could you also maybe privately e-mail to some other interested folks? ;) ;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Joy

• I want to be a horsie.
    • Our Wedding:  The Musical
« Reply #198 on: January 21, 2004, 05:21:04 PM »

I don't do the Li'l Abner comics that much, but what I've read I've enjoyed.  I have the entire run of Kitchen Sink reprints, which are great.  I also have the rare hardback from the fifties called The World of Li'l Abner, and I, of course, have my incredible original art panel by Mr. Capp himself.
Yes, but do you have a Shmoo?  I've always wanted a Shmoo.  http://www.lil-abner.com/shmoo.html

Farmer, pointing the way with radish.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #199 on: January 21, 2004, 05:29:33 PM »

Jed - you need one of these!   ;D
« Last Edit: January 21, 2004, 05:30:06 PM by JRand53 »

George

« Reply #200 on: January 21, 2004, 05:31:39 PM »

It is to Jackson's (et al) credit that Mr. Townsend remains nameless on the dvds whenever they speak about Viggo replacing "another actor."  That's tact, and that's style.

I remember reading something last year that specified Mr. Townsend as the replaced actor, but it said that the reason was that after they started filming, Peter Jackson felt that Stuart Townsend was just too young to play the part.  The character is supposed to have been around the block and basically Townsend wasn't.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Danise

« Reply #201 on: January 21, 2004, 05:34:21 PM »

Evening all!

I've been looking at all the recipes we have on the board and was wondering if we should maybe either have a all recipe topic/folder.  It would be nice to be able to get to them without going through tons of posts.  I know there’s the search feature but it I think it would be faster and easier if they were just together.

If I ever say anything to anyone that hurts them, please let me know.  It is never my intent.  

Meat Loaf sang:
Did I say that?
Sometimes you know I over react,
And what I say is not a matter of fact.
And I wish that I could take it all back.

Did I say that?

I finished reading Benjamin Kritzer yesterday.  I honestly enjoyed it and  I did feel sad for Benjamin at the end. :)  It was a little before my time but it brought back a lot memories of my own childhood.

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #202 on: January 21, 2004, 05:44:26 PM »

I'm watching THE FULLER BRUSH GIRL with Lucille Ball and Eddie Albert....so funny.  This was one of my summer time movies.  WTTV Channel Four during the summer - would show a movie the SAME movie at 10 am and 10 pm Mon-Fri!!!

I would be sure to watch the movie at 10 am on Monday morning and if it was good, I could see it 10 times in five days.  This was a keeper.  I also saw ALL the Ginger Rogers - Fred Astaires, "King Kong", and a lot of Katharine Hepburn movies this way!!!

« Last Edit: January 21, 2004, 05:45:40 PM by JRand53 »

George

« Reply #203 on: January 21, 2004, 05:52:27 PM »

This article was posted on Playbill.com today:
Herman Says Broadway Mame Will Blow Her Horn in 2005-06, Prior to TV Movie

The best news in the article (in my opinion--IMO in Internet lingo) are these lines:

Reports about Cher starring in a TV movie musical of Mame this year are also premature, he said.

"That's sort of on hold, the TV movie," Herman explained. "I think we all want to do it legitimately one more time and then we'll worry about filming it. I want to see it on the stage again."

I'm sorry, but I just don't want to imagine Cher as Mame.  I think that she is a good actress, but she ain't no Mame.

George

« Reply #204 on: January 21, 2004, 05:59:40 PM »

Okay, here's an Ask BK and DR Question for the day:  

I have both the audio CD and DVD of Elaine Stritch At Liberty.  What I'd like to know is (mainly because I'm lazy and don't want to do it myself) what are differences between the two?  Obviously, they were preserved in their respective forms of media at different performances, but how much is relatively the same and which sections are different?  Has anyone compared?  Has anyone taken the time to make an audio recording of the DVD and combine it with the CD to make one big giant complete version?  Does anybody care?  (a 1776 reference.)  Just curious.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #205 on: January 21, 2004, 06:19:23 PM »

Danise: Glad you honestly enjoyed it.  Now time to visit Kritzerland so you can be all caught up for Kritzer Time.  After that, you're on your own.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #206 on: January 21, 2004, 06:21:29 PM »

Well, that was fun.  Removing some biscuits from the oven, and the dish towel I was using for an oven mitt burst into flames right in my very hand!  No damage done, but I did find out that my smoke detector is very sensitive. :D

I must send this to my son's girlfriend.  When she was here over the holidays I kept telling her not to use the dish towel as it might catch on fire.  She would switch to the pot holder while giving me one of those "oh sure" looks.  Thanks for vindicating me.  :)

Robin

« Reply #207 on: January 21, 2004, 06:24:01 PM »

Yes, but do you have a Shmoo?  I've always wanted a Shmoo.

Well, I have a Shmoo!  And you can have one, too!  Dark Horse Comics is marketing Li'l Abner statuettes...so far, they've released Abner, Daisy Mae, Fearless Fosdick and this adorable li'l critter...
« Last Edit: January 21, 2004, 06:25:51 PM by Robin Anderson »
Mankind needs God...like fish need bicycles!

Danise

« Reply #208 on: January 21, 2004, 06:27:03 PM »

I'm already 45 pages into Kritzerland.    :)  I always look at the page number just before I quit so I know where to start back at.  People say, "Use a bookmark!"  but I never do.  If you can't remember the page number or what you've already read, how can you say your enjoying the book?  

How about my recipe idea?

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #209 on: January 21, 2004, 06:27:07 PM »

Listening to the score of THE BLACK SWAN, a complimentary CD sent to me by my pal, historian Rudy Behlmer, for having put him in touch with the recognized expert on all things Sabatini, Jesse Knight, for some background material.  I also noticed that the dust jacket cover that Rudy used for the article in the booklet is from the copy of my dust jacket that I xeroxed for Rudy.  I recognized the old tape mark over the "e" and "l" on Rafael.  

I also noticed that this album was produced by our very own Mr. Nick Redman.  Sounds quite smashing.  Nice job, Nick!
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10   Go Up