Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: MY HEAD FEELS THICK  (Read 11885 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re: MY HEAD FEELS THICK
« Reply #90 on: February 12, 2011, 01:53:21 PM »

Back from errands and whatnot.  I decided to treat myself to Du-Par's thinking the pancakes would make me feel better.  I can now say without equivocation that Du-Par's is done - every since the purchase by Tiny Naylor's it has slowly but inexorably heading into the toilet, but one could always count on the pancakes.  Well, said pancakes are now horrendously bad and not even a shadow of what they once were.  The short stack consisted of three HUGELY lumpen things resembling pancakes - I twice had to tell my waitress that I wanted the melted butter put on by the chef - that was always the way they came unless you said otherwise - what made them so great was the melted butter was put on just as the cakes came off the griddle.  She merely took the pancakes back and poured it on herself.  The batter seems to be different and tasteless, and their syrup is now sans sweetness.  It's just glop you pour on these way to thick pancakes.  The pancakes were always much thinner.  I shall not return ever.

Ginny

« Reply #91 on: February 12, 2011, 01:56:58 PM »

Sorry to hear that about Du Par's, BK.  It's sad when a place you've loved goes bad - I think it's almost easier when places just close.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #92 on: February 12, 2011, 02:04:12 PM »

Back from errands and whatnot.  I decided to treat myself to Du-Par's thinking the pancakes would make me feel better.  I can now say without equivocation that Du-Par's is done - every since the purchase by Tiny Naylor's it has slowly but inexorably heading into the toilet, but one could always count on the pancakes.  Well, said pancakes are now horrendously bad and not even a shadow of what they once were.  The short stack consisted of three HUGELY lumpen things resembling pancakes - I twice had to tell my waitress that I wanted the melted butter put on by the chef - that was always the way they came unless you said otherwise - what made them so great was the melted butter was put on just as the cakes came off the griddle.  She merely took the pancakes back and poured it on herself.  The batter seems to be different and tasteless, and their syrup is now sans sweetness.  It's just glop you pour on these way to thick pancakes.  The pancakes were always much thinner.  I shall not return ever.

Sad to hear.

I have some very fond memories of doing breakfast meetings at Du Par's.  There were always a bunch of show biz people about.

It was like the Schwab's of the SF Valley.
You can dream…or you can do.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #93 on: February 12, 2011, 02:25:14 PM »

Callie and Ricky conspired to wake me up at 6:30 this morning

Thanks for the meth lab advice; I would never have known what one smelled like. Two nights ago, someone was walking about between 3 and 4am. At this moment, I don't think anyone's been in the apartment since then. Perhaps Count Dracula is my neighbor?

The ether smell is not always accurate,.  The Tacoma Police Department told me, when this whole apartment complex seemed to have turned into a meth lab, that there are usually two types of meth labs.  The ones that were being run in my complex were what they referred to as dry labs.  I don't really understand what that means exactly, but the police said it was doubtful that I would have ever smelled anything from the dry lab.

Don't ask me, that is all I know.

Maybe it's a hothouse for growing marijuana?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #94 on: February 12, 2011, 02:27:08 PM »

From Cilla:
I didn't think that Social Network seemed that one sided.  It wasn't all "pro" for any side of the situation. I did enjoy it

We watched it last night.  While I liked it Keith & Craig both enjoyed it more than I did.  From what I've read about it I was surprised it wasn't all pro for any side of the situation.  The only one dimensional person was Sean Parker.

That'll teach you to swallow all the junk in the media abot what's real and what isn't!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #95 on: February 12, 2011, 02:27:37 PM »

I just got an e-mail from Donald Rumsfeld (now calling hiself Don) promoting his new book  How in the Hell did I get on this mailing list?

Lose a bet?

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #96 on: February 12, 2011, 02:35:19 PM »

Not DuPar's!

What the hell?

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #97 on: February 12, 2011, 02:45:07 PM »

I've had a fantastic but long day and I am happy to be home. Toyland was good and I accomplished some things I needed to take care of, and my 2-hour lunch date with Rebecca was a lot of fun. Her husband, the wonderful actor Danny Stone, stopped by, and it was great to spend some time with him as well.

Cillaliz

« Reply #98 on: February 12, 2011, 02:46:12 PM »

Today I opened a window and within about 20 seconds this is what I saw

Cillaliz

« Reply #99 on: February 12, 2011, 02:48:16 PM »

I like to give the cats fresh air when I can.  They love sitting in the windows

Ben

« Reply #100 on: February 12, 2011, 02:48:55 PM »

So I guess Ricky has been accepted as an annoying but loved little brother cat

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #101 on: February 12, 2011, 02:51:41 PM »

DR CILLA IS FREE!!!   :D

Cillaliz

« Reply #102 on: February 12, 2011, 02:58:57 PM »

So I guess Ricky has been accepted as an annoying but loved little brother cat

Yup.  They're all getting along quite well

Cillaliz

« Reply #103 on: February 12, 2011, 02:59:44 PM »

DR CILLA IS FREE!!!   :D

:D  You can say that again!

Laura

« Reply #104 on: February 12, 2011, 03:00:29 PM »

Little Ricky looks bigger than the girls.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

Laura

« Reply #105 on: February 12, 2011, 03:01:40 PM »

I am sorry to hear that Dupar's has gone downhill. I have gone there several times with BK.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

Jane

« Reply #106 on: February 12, 2011, 03:04:41 PM »

Or his mother?  What was her name again?  Karol?

;D

Cillaliz

« Reply #107 on: February 12, 2011, 03:05:22 PM »

Little Ricky looks bigger than the girls.

Little Ricky isn't very little anymore.  He's a lot bigger than Boo and I think he's bigger than Callie now, too

Jane

« Reply #108 on: February 12, 2011, 03:06:20 PM »

Jane may have gone walking or lunching?

Long hike.  I should have dressed in my summer clothes it was so warm on the uphill portion of the hike.

Cillaliz

« Reply #109 on: February 12, 2011, 03:06:49 PM »

He's getting big, but still gets insecure like a little kitten at times and cuddles up close to me.  I like that

td

• td
« Reply #110 on: February 12, 2011, 03:07:20 PM »

My patient is resting comfortably.  Going out only every two hours.  Plus a little crate-free time for petting.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Jane

« Reply #111 on: February 12, 2011, 03:07:49 PM »

Ben defrosted the freezer in anticipation of grocery shopping tomorrow. He also met a friend this morning at the Greenmarket at Union Square and then went to CVS and bought 3 boxes of Cheerios (on sale with the CVS card) and 4 cans of Campbell's Soup (also on sale with the CVS card). Anthony has spent much of the day looking at YouTube videos and he is now loading up his Walkman in anticipation of our trip to the hospital on Wednesday for my appendectomy.

Who is going to keep us posted?

Jane

« Reply #112 on: February 12, 2011, 03:10:02 PM »

Did you try their boysenberry syrup?  Has that also changed?  Sooo sad!

Cillaliz

« Reply #113 on: February 12, 2011, 03:14:08 PM »

My patient is resting comfortably.  Going out only every two hours.  Plus a little crate-free time for petting.

I'm sure she is very relieved to be home with you and Mum

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #114 on: February 12, 2011, 03:23:04 PM »

Good afternoon, all.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #115 on: February 12, 2011, 03:25:34 PM »

Been a long but fun day. Went to the movies to see the Met live broadcast of "Nixon in China." What a great score. I haven't heard it in ages, but the woman playing Madame Mao (Kathleen Kim, I think) was perfect. Janis Kelly as Pat Nixon just great and the men all good.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #116 on: February 12, 2011, 03:27:58 PM »

TOD: I have always loved going to library book sales. The ones in Louisville were legendary. They would take up three sides of the main library and you could browse books for hours. Always found some great stuff there, from books to albums (I remember finding the "Two Gents" cast recording at one). There was a library book sale this morning at my neighborhood branch. It was small but I managed to find a John McPhee book I didn't have ("Irons in the Fire") and a paperback of Tolstoy's "Kreuzter Sonata," which I've never read.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #117 on: February 12, 2011, 03:28:30 PM »

Glad Miss Molly is feeling somewhat better or at least resting comfortably, td.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #118 on: February 12, 2011, 03:30:36 PM »

Sorry about the pancakes, BK. Do you know if the management has changed hands? That's usually the reason for drastic quality changes. Whatever the reason, it feels like a betrayal when you have to write off an old favorite, be is restaurant, book store or any business you've patronized regularly in the past. Sucks.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #119 on: February 12, 2011, 03:31:27 PM »

Off to make chili for a cookoff at church tomorrow.
― Voltaire
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up