Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down

Author Topic: THE SAN FERNANDO VALLEY OF THE DOLLS  (Read 21663 times)

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
Re:THE SAN FERNANDO VALLEY OF THE DOLLS
« Reply #180 on: December 02, 2003, 07:00:54 PM »

Okay, okay...here's page 7!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

SwishySarah

• Swish On!
« Reply #181 on: December 02, 2003, 07:01:39 PM »

Whooooooooo's got a clean room?

Oh!

I know!

SWISHY'S got a clean room!!!

*does the clean room dance*

No more cleaning for me, no sir. I loooooath cleaning. The vacuum is not my friend. We iz not friends no more.
...Walk in the sunshine...

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #182 on: December 02, 2003, 07:03:11 PM »

Say, I've got an idea.  Okay "I've got an idea".

No, no... I've got an idea -

Let's play the Name Game!

Go!

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #183 on: December 02, 2003, 07:03:35 PM »

I'm not sure where the mean spirited gossip is, but I'll post this in hopes of moving to page seven so I can get out of widescreen view, which is what I dislike about page six

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #184 on: December 02, 2003, 07:07:49 PM »

Oops...too late...oh well :)

Name Game?
I have a name game story.  Does everyone know that name song that preschoolers like to sing?  It goes something like this, using my name -

Ann ann bo ban
banana fanna fo fan
me my mo man
Ann

Hope everyone knows what I'm talking about.  Anyway, a while back I was working in a daycare center, and that was one of the usual daily "circle songs" that the kids sang every day to help learn everyone's names.  Until one day when we got a new boy in there named Tucker...then the song mysteriously went away... :D
« Last Edit: December 02, 2003, 07:08:42 PM by Ann »

Joy

• I want to be a horsie.
    • Our Wedding:  The Musical
« Reply #185 on: December 02, 2003, 07:12:44 PM »

Oh well, it didn't work.  Maybe this time.

I have finally caught up (more or less) with the last several days, and here is what I have to say on what I have missed:

RE:  Hotels
I had my Bachelorette Party at the Hotel Edison, and the fact that we received not one single call from the front desk to shut the hell up should tell you something.  It was the perfect place -- not too seedy, but seedy enough to look the other way from girls making several trips up the elevator with bags of liquor and...er...party favors, not to mention hot black strippers.

RE:  Detectives
Sherlock Holmes, with whom I spent many a long, cozy night on the floor by the wood stove when I was a young 'un.   Consider the immortal words:

"Life is infinitely stranger than anything which the mind of man could invent."

On hope:
"There's an east wind coming all the same, such a wind as never blew on England yet. It will be cold and bitter, Watson, and a good many of us may wither before its blast. But it's God's own wind none the less and a cleaner, better stronger land will lie in the sunshine when the storm has cleared."

On the existence of a higher power:
"Our highest assurance of the goodness of providence seems to me to rest in the flowers. All other things, our powers, our desires, our food, are really necessary for our existence in the first instance. But this rose is an extra. Its smell and its color are an embellishment of life, not a condition of it. It is only goodness which gives extras, and so I say again that we have much to hope from the flowers."

On men:
"Evil indeed is the man who has not one woman to mourn him."

On women:
"And yet the motives of women are so inscrutable . . . Their most trivial action may mean volumes, or their most extraordinary conduct may depend upon a hairpin or a curling-tongs."

RE:  Debbie Gravitte
Although I am sure I would like her in person, I cannot stand to hear her sing.  I find her voice grating for some reason.  But I love to listen to Patti Lu.  Go figure.

RE:  From Justin to Kelly
I freely admit that I saw this trifle of teen trash, and although I was entertained by it, I would NEVER recommend it to anyone, ever.  But I'm glad I saw it.  Swishy, I agree with you -- too much damn riffing.  That's why I can no longer bring myself to support Clay Aiken.  After he butchered poor "Vincent"... shudder.
Farmer, pointing the way with radish.

Joy

• I want to be a horsie.
« Reply #186 on: December 02, 2003, 07:14:29 PM »

DR Ann, the "mean-spirited gossip" I refer to is the "Page Six" of the New York Post.  Sorry, should have better explained that New York reference.

Danise

« Reply #187 on: December 02, 2003, 07:15:16 PM »

I was just about to post and I hit the refresh button by accident and lost the whole post.  Aggggh!!!    I’ve been side tracked ever since so I’ll try to post this once again.  Hope I can remember everything I said the first time.

I love your new picture DR Danise!  You are using your vacation time wisely!  It rivals DR Emily's!   ;)

I was using irony....LOL...how could I have escaped the DOTV wars?  LOL.  :P

Oh, and I keep forgetting - congratulations to DR Ann on her recital (NOT rectial) last night.  The program sounds terrific!  Something for everyone, and everything for music lovers!  ;D

DOTV wars   I remember I got chewed out royal on another board at another time long ago for making that reference but I guess this is a good time to say that I'm glad that you and Jennifer like my new picture.  I think it does a good job of hiding the eye patch and the peg leg.

Us vs them.  Here vs there.  I'm somewhat of a veteran in that regard as well.  When Broadway.com was shutting down and Broadway World was just starting up there was a lot of that kind feeling.   I posted on both boards because I had friends on both and saw no problem with talking to either one.  I just made it a point to not carry tales from one board to the other.  Same now.  I talk to people here, I talk to people there.  I don't talk to people there about here and I don't talk to people here about there unless they post on both boards like I do.  I think there are some very nice people on both boards.  

So far as the journal goes, I can't honestly say who started writing one first--I didn't know about this board until a few months ago but I do know that Ray did do one last year for DOTV on another of Rob's boards--www.dotvfans.com which was pre-Broadway World. I don't remember any kind of journal on Broadway.com but I could be mistaken.

I think that's most of what I said the first time.

D

« Last Edit: December 02, 2003, 07:17:18 PM by Danise »
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #188 on: December 02, 2003, 07:16:21 PM »

Ahh, I see.  Thanks Joy :)

Joy

• I want to be a horsie.
« Reply #189 on: December 02, 2003, 07:24:31 PM »

And as far as all the drama lately, I just have one thing to say:

But seriously, folks, this isn't the Springfield Junior High School cafeteria, is it?  Who gives a hoot who did what first, or how many posts we have, or what our status is?  You know what makes this board superior to others?  Lack of flame wars.  Respect for the opinions of others.  A genuine love and compassion for each other.  So let's keep it that way and not act like a bunch of bratty 13-year-olds, whaddya say.

Come on, people now, smile on your brother!
Everybody get together; try to love one another right now.

Joy

• I want to be a horsie.
« Reply #190 on: December 02, 2003, 07:26:26 PM »

I never liked the name game because people would take the opportunity to call me Joy the Boy.

Joy boy bo boy
Banana fanna fo foy
Me my mo moy
Joooooy

Danise

« Reply #191 on: December 02, 2003, 07:33:57 PM »

Yes, I'd much rather do this:

Than this:

or this:

or this:

D
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Joy

• I want to be a horsie.
« Reply #192 on: December 02, 2003, 07:34:33 PM »

So here I am, still at work at 10:32 p.m., having stayed late to work on a brief that's due this week.  I finished at around 9:00, but I'm waiting for the car service, which seems to be very busy right now.  So I guess I'll just keep posting away...

So, anyone have a job for me in LA during December 22 - January 9?  

Joy

• I want to be a horsie.
« Reply #193 on: December 02, 2003, 07:34:57 PM »

Well said, Danise.

Joy

• I want to be a horsie.
« Reply #194 on: December 02, 2003, 07:40:17 PM »

Oh yes, heartthrobs...

Can't do anything with the 50s and 60s, but I will admit to you that I had crushes on the following 80s heartthrobs:
Ralph Macchio (sp?)
Kirk Cameron (sort of)
Tom Cruise (SO obvious - but I loved the man and I had every pinup that was published from 1985-1988 of him on my wall.  There was no room for paint.)
Michael Douglas (had a thing for older men)
Harrison Ford (there it is again)
Marc Singer (from "V", anyone remember "V"?)

And that's pretty much it.  When I got older, around college age, I added Patrick Stewart to my list.  Although I didn't have any pinups.

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #195 on: December 02, 2003, 07:42:47 PM »

DR Joy: In defense of Clay Aiken, "Vincent" was his single worst performance on "American Idol".  He said he wasn't fond of the song and it wasn't something he felt he could sing, but they selected it for him.  

Now I happen to think he "could" sing it extremely well...if he got it!  Why he doesn't get it is beyond me.

But everything else he sang was golden, IMO.

Sadly, this is not my opinion of his first CD.  One listen-through and I'm done with it.

I do strongly urge folks to check out Harlemm Lee!!!!!

Michael

« Reply #196 on: December 02, 2003, 07:44:26 PM »

And congratulations to each and every Hainsie/Kimlet for the amazing achievement of crossing the ten thousand post line in only forty days.  On to twenty thousand, shall we?

40? That's so bibical
Never stop dreaming.

Danise

« Reply #197 on: December 02, 2003, 07:44:59 PM »

Well said, Danise.

Thanks, Joy.  I hope you get to go home soon!  Be safe!

Posted by: Joy  Posted on: Today at 10:40:17pm  
Oh yes, heartthrobs...

Can't do anything with the 50s and 60s, but I will admit to you that I had crushes on the following 80s heartthrobs:
Ralph Macchio (sp?)
Kirk Cameron (sort of)
Tom Cruise (SO obvious - but I loved the man and I had every pinup that was published from 1985-1988 of him on my wall.  There was no room for paint.)
Michael Douglas (had a thing for older men)
Harrison Ford (there it is again)
Marc Singer (from "V", anyone remember "V"?)

And that's pretty much it.  When I got older, around college age, I added Patrick Stewart to my list.  Although I didn't have any pinups.

Yes I remember "V" and Marc "Beast Master" Singer

Harrison Ford--Great minds think alike there.   :)

I like Patrick Stewart but not sure he has "hunk" appeal.

D

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Michael

« Reply #198 on: December 02, 2003, 07:45:38 PM »

Woke in the middle of the night and thought I'd have some chance at being the first post, but no, not with those Pacific people around.
I'll go with the three people at triangle points at the end of Splendor in the Grass: I think Zohra Lampert is amazingly sexy, and figure Natalie Wood's character must appreciate that too.  These two make worthy rivals for the interest of heartthrob Warren Beatty.

BK worked with Zohra Lampert on the opening episode of Doctor's Hospital or whatever is was called.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2003, 07:46:00 PM by Michael Shayne »
Never stop dreaming.

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #199 on: December 02, 2003, 07:46:48 PM »

I dislike Page Six, as I dislike all mean-spirited gossip columns, so I post in the hopes that I can push us onto Page Seven.

What on earth on Page 6 was mean-spirited?  The worst thing that I read was that a character on a TV series was "repulsive" or something...not a person, but a character.

Have I misread something?  Was this a joke that went sailing over my head?

Somebody help me figure out what was wrong!
« Last Edit: December 02, 2003, 07:52:37 PM by Ron Pulliam »

Danise

« Reply #200 on: December 02, 2003, 07:46:51 PM »

But he (Patrick Stewart) does have the same B-day as Harrison Ford, July 13th, if I'm not mistaken.
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #201 on: December 02, 2003, 07:55:54 PM »

What on earth on Page 6 was mean-spirited?  The worst thing that I read was that a character on a TV series was "repulsive" or something...not a person, but a character.

Have I misread something?  Was this a joke that went sailing over my head?

Somebody help me figure out what was wrong!

Dear Reader Ron--

You're skipping posts again.  Tsk, tsk.

As Dear Reader Joy clarified, her allusion was to Page Six (with its infamous gossip column) of the New York Post, not page six of the Haines His Way dot com Discussion Forum.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2003, 07:56:44 PM by Jay »
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #202 on: December 02, 2003, 08:00:25 PM »

Dear Reader Ron--

You're skipping posts again.  Tsk, tsk.

As Dear Reader Joy clarified, her allusion was to Page Six (with its infamous gossip column) of the New York Post, not page six of the Haines His Way dot com Discussion Forum.

I have an excuse...I'm not a well person.

I left work early feeling feverish, achy and nauseous.

I napped a bit and have been catching up with blurry eyes and a scratchy throat.

What?  Whaddayamean ya ain't buyin' it?

I'm tellin' ya I'm not a well person!

But, you are correct.  I missed that one teensy tinsy post about the New York Post.

Thanks for keeping me grounded, Jay!

Michael

« Reply #203 on: December 02, 2003, 08:03:34 PM »

« Last Edit: December 02, 2003, 08:03:48 PM by Michael Shayne »
Never stop dreaming.

MBarnum

« Reply #204 on: December 02, 2003, 08:18:03 PM »

Thank you Michael Shayne, oh yes, thank you!  :)

And that reminds me that I would add Gary Conway to my list.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2003, 08:19:00 PM by MBarnum »

Jay

« Reply #205 on: December 02, 2003, 08:27:52 PM »

So, like, am I the only person here who saw Beefcake?  (The movie, Dear Readers, the movie.)

Jay

« Reply #206 on: December 02, 2003, 08:28:47 PM »

Chicken soup, Dear Reader Ron, chicken soup.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #207 on: December 02, 2003, 08:33:11 PM »

Here's a little bit more information about CLay AIken's rendition of "Vincent." Fifteen minutes before the show began that night, the producers changed the arrangement of "Vincent" cutting a different part of the lyrics than he had been practicing for three previous days. He didn't even have a chance to sing the new version with any accompaniment before the show started. He was trying during his backstage time to learn the altered cuts in the song, and that's why he went up on the lyrics during the live broadcast. When I found that out, I completely eliminated "Vincent" from my mind as dirty pool on the part of the show's producers. As far as I'm concerned, his renditions of every song during his weeks on the show were simply astounding.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #208 on: December 02, 2003, 08:36:54 PM »

No, I saw BEEFCAKE. Wasn't wild about it, but it was kind of fun for a quasi-documentary. I wanted it to be more revelatory, if you know what I mean.

Speaking of beefcake, here's the infamous beefcake picture of George Nader that sent Universal into panic mode because his bathing suit is SO skimpy.

If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

MusicGuy

• ...at an audition to accompany Guy Haines...
« Reply #209 on: December 02, 2003, 08:53:49 PM »

Even though I know there is a one hour time difference, it still seems awfully late for Master Bruce to not be to his palatial Studio City Mansion by now.  Those mean cable TV persons are just extending the workday way too far into the night.

If anyone wants to see classic sensitive teen-idoldom, just watch an early episode of "The Young Lawyers" which featured a character named Walter, who was thinking of going to Canada so as not to be drafted.  It was played by a very heart-throbby young actor.  Such a face!!
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up