Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: THE SAN FERNANDO VALLEY OF THE DOLLS  (Read 21415 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
THE SAN FERNANDO VALLEY OF THE DOLLS
« on: December 02, 2003, 12:18:56 AM »

I already tried posting this once and it didn't work - so I'll try again.  You've read today's sordid and red-hot notes, so now all that is left to do is post, post, and post again.  Sorry I'm so up, man, but that's the dolls.

« Last Edit: December 03, 2003, 12:08:30 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:THE SAN FERNANDO VALLEY OF THE DOLLS
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2003, 12:21:33 AM »

And congratulations to each and every Hainsie/Kimlet for the amazing achievement of crossing the ten thousand post line in only forty days.  On to twenty thousand, shall we?

Tomovoz

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2003, 12:34:40 AM »

Annette of course.
But seriously; John Kerr and Dirk Bogarde were my pinup guys. Didn't really go for for the Avalons, Fabian, etc of my childhood, nor Elvis or Ricky. Bobby Darin and Bobby Vee were favourite singers in the pop world but not pin up guys. I thought Billy "Crash" Craddock was hot (He was big star in OZ for two years or so) and New Zealand's Johnny Devlin was certainly enough for me to stay home and watch the TV pop shows of the time. A special mention of course to Tommy Kirk.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jed

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2003, 12:42:17 AM »

50s and 60s heartthrobs?  A bit out of my realm here.  Heck, I grew up in the age of Paula Abdul. :D
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2003, 12:51:43 AM »

Woke in the middle of the night and thought I'd have some chance at being the first post, but no, not with those Pacific people around.
I'll go with the three people at triangle points at the end of Splendor in the Grass: I think Zohra Lampert is amazingly sexy, and figure Natalie Wood's character must appreciate that too.  These two make worthy rivals for the interest of heartthrob Warren Beatty.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Noel

• Musings on musicals
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2003, 01:09:57 AM »

BK said he had a question from Ira Levin's son.  Which reminded me that, long ago, my mother and the young Ira Levin went out on a few dates.  I've often wondered whether she inspired A Kiss Before Dying, and since we lived 2 blocks south of the Dakota, she might have been the model for Rosemary, too.

So, my BK question is: Does he look anything like me?

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2003, 01:12:18 AM »

I assume by heart-throbs were talking about teen idols...I mean my heart-throb from the time I was about six or seven was Sophie Loren, who doesn't fall into the category of teen idol exactly.

Tomovoz

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2003, 02:00:03 AM »

Thanks to DR Jed I shall now book into the nursing home. You could have at least mentioned heartthrobs that were in their fifties like quite a few of us dear readers. Isn't there a Mrs Robinson out there somewhere? Catherine Deneuve still has it.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2003, 02:52:05 AM »

Yes, TRIO will have episodes of QUEEN FOR A DAY at 8 pm and 11 pm EST on Wed, Thurs, Fri.  I think.  WWW.triotv.com for their complete schedule!

No, DRJANE I didn't cry this time, the first four ladies didn't have such heartbreaking stories.  Although it was nice to see the lady win and get a wheel chair and exercise bike for her son with cerebral palsy, along with a freezer, a month's supply of frozen tv dinners, aluminum cookware, a sewing machine, some fashions, makeup by Merle Norman, and a drive in a golden Imperial to Universal International for her own private screening of SPARTACUS!

Well....hmmmmmmmmmmm.....Troy Donahue and Tommy Kirk in the movies.  Elvis, of course, and Fabian in music.  And James Franciscus and Doug McClure on television.   And lots more!  The fifties and sixties were a golden time for golden boys.  ;D
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2003, 04:30:38 AM »

Ohhhhhhhhh....A Kiss Before Dying ...what a movie!

And here is your Allison Hayes Picture of the Week - she is getting tough with the help in Count Three and Pray the motion picture debut of Miss Joanne Woodward.

Kerry

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2003, 04:48:08 AM »

I had the usual heartthrobs (not all exactly teen heartthrobs but the movie magazines used to feature  all agesof "Stars") -- George Nader, Tab Hunter, Rock Hudson, Tommy Kirk, Tony Perkins (esp. in "Tall Story" before Mr. Perkins became so dangerous), Don Grady, James Franciscus, Richard Chamberlain (still a fab fave), Fabian,  Paul Petersen, James Darren, Michael Callan, my good friend George Chakiris  :) all those Warner stars (esp. Van Williams).  (I envy DRMBBarnum who gets to see reruns of "Surfside 6." )

And I loved/love Kim Novak.  

I'll write more later.  The fershluganah sun isn't even up yet.
I like boat races.

Noel

• Musings on musicals
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2003, 05:00:40 AM »

A Kiss Before Dying had one of those only-on-the-page "tricks" to it that couldn't be replicated on film.

DW Joy appeared many times on New York 1 yesterday, donating to the coat drive.

There's frost on the islands of Broadway.  I better put on my -- Hey, where's my coat?   ???

steveg

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2003, 05:47:23 AM »

My 50's heart throbs were Marilyn, Liz and Sophia.

Last night a local educational channel in New York, WNYC - channel 25, ran the kinescope of the 1959 broadcast of "Kiss Me Kate" starring Alfred Drake and Patricia Morison.  It was like a trip back in time since I remember watching this broadcast live in '59 when I was 12. The show was severely abbreviated since it ran only about 1hour 15 minutes or so without commercials, but did include most of the songs.  Drake and Morison were terrific and you got a good feel of what the show must have been like when originally produced on Broadway.  Julie Wilson had the Bianca/Lois part, not Lisa Kirk, which I don't understand since Lisa Kirk is on the album that Capitol produced back in '59.  When I saw Pajama Game back in '56, Julie had taken over the lead from Janice Page but I had no recollection until seeing this of what she looked like.  Jack Klugman and Harvey Lembeck were the two gangsters and Klugman looked very young, the same as he obviously looked like in the then contemporaneous original production of "Gypsy."  He definitely looked younger than Merman did then, although she did look much better in '59 than she did just a few years later in '63 (or earlier, when filmed) when she was in "Mad....World," where she looked "old baggish" playing Dorothy Provine's mother.

Note to WEL, one of the other web sites that sells books notes that the book you were looking for, "Ever After ...," is due for publication in January, 2004.  I found it right away doing a google search as follows: "Ever After" musical book.
I'm just a bagel on a plate of onion rolls.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2003, 05:49:34 AM »

Well, in the past few days, I've posted pics of a couple of heartthrobs from my youth: Vince Edwards was definitely one. I'll be posting pics of others through out the day. Oh, bk, what a DANGEROUS can of worms you've opened with this topic. And our younger members will see some of the folks we thought were sexy when we were their ages or a bit younger.

I also have to say that bk provided my first belly laugh of the day with his channeling of VALLEY OF THE DOLLS in that paragraph on page one with song lyrics planting their trees on top of one another. Just hilarious. OK. Off to find some hunks' pics for posting.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

MusicGuy

• ...at an audition to accompany Guy Haines...
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2003, 06:12:58 AM »

Although it was nice to see the lady win and get a wheel chair and exercise bike for her son with cerebral palsy, along with a freezer, a month's supply of frozen tv dinners, aluminum cookware, a sewing machine, some fashions, makeup by Merle Norman, and a drive in a golden Imperial to Universal International for her own private screening of SPARTACUS!

DR Jrand --   I think I just scared the hell out of Sugar, by bursting out laughing when I read the above, in reference to QFAD.  I had forgotten how wonderfully bizarrethe "prize lists" were that those poor folks got saddled with.  Yea, there was usually something that really helped them, like the wheelchair, but then the rest got so wonderfully varied.  An interesting side-note:  this Dec. 13th, I will play for a private Christmas party in southern California that is given by the owner of Merle Norman Cosmetics.  I'll see if I can get you a gift pack!

Danise

« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2003, 06:13:34 AM »

Good morning all!  Isn't it nice that I can say that and not be in a rush to catch the bus?  I'm sure it is enjoying the freedom of not being caught as well.  No, Good morning-late--gotta run--for me this week.   I could get used to this way of life as I sit here in comfort with my hot cup of tea.

Good vibes to those who need them for the condo.  I hope to be moving soon to a nicer house myself.  Something a bit more modern would please me greatly.  

It's still 45 degrees here in warm, wonderful, sunny Florida, according to Weather Bug.  Do you all have the bug?  I find it most handy.  It's free and sits in the bottom right hand corner of your computer screen with the temperature.  If there’s a storm or any kind of breaking weather advisory it changes to a little flashing lady bug to let you know something is afoot.  Opps, guess I should have posted this yesterday.  Anyway I find it useful and it brings to mind a good question for the next time we can ask them–what are some of  your favorite web sites/tools–besides HHW, of course.  

As far as heartthrobs of the 50's & 60's go.  Humm, I was born at the end of the 50's so I have no memory of them and was still a bit young in the 60's as well.  I do remember the Monkees, however.

I have a memory of being so proud because my Dad had just bought The Monkees Headquarters album (not CD–we didn’t have CD’s back in that time for you younger folk) and a family friend was teasing me about liking Micky.  He said something about why don’t you like Davy–he’s more your height?  Which, of course, angered me to no end and the madder I got, the more I was teased.   I remember feeling very indignant about the whole thing.  

DR Noel–Lost your  coat?  Well, I hear they’re having a coat drive.  Maybe you could get one there that looks like the one you lost?   ;D

DR Ann- Glad to hear that all went well.  

BK–Hope lunch is better for you today.  There is nothing worse then biting into something you expect to be good and it turns out to be nasty.  

Well, I guess I need to go have more fun today.  I’m still chuckling over poor Bear and that car backfiring.  He so sensitive for a dog.  If we pass a house that has music playing, he’ll stop and listen.  He looks so cute when he turns his head side to side like he’s trying to figure out what’s going on.  Of course the Christmas lawn decorations have him very puzzled as well.  Brandi just seems to take everything is stride.  Nothing bothers her.

Have a good day all.  Will check back later.  

Congrats to all on passing the big 10 mark!

D
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

MusicGuy

« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2003, 06:14:15 AM »

OOPS....sorry DRs --  I just proved that I don't know how to use the "quote" feature correctly.  My response also appeared in the "quote" section.
 ???

MusicGuy

« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2003, 06:23:52 AM »

Dear esteemed, wired, zingy, hopped-up, reefer madness, wall-bouncing BK --

Calm, my little aspidystra, you must now take deep breaths and cast out the demons of dollitude, thereby entering a zen-like state.  Otherwise you will be locked in a room with Deepok Chopra and forced to listen to an endless tape-loop of Patty Duke trying to sing.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2003, 06:38:17 AM »

SteveG - Thanks.  Drama Book Shop still has it listed as a November release that is now officially late.  They'll call me when it comes in.

BK - Any word on when the technical problems with the radio show will be fixed?  Since I am having problems both at work and at home I assume it is not my computers, and other DRs have posted about it too.

Teenage heartthrobs: Brandon DeWilde and the whole cast of "Spin and Marty" (especially David Stollery).
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2003, 06:43:24 AM »

Yes, I am not sure if MR BK was channeling Ms Jacqueline Susann (isn't she great) or the misses Helen Deutsch and Dorothy Kingsley, but he did a wonderful job!  ;D

DR Danise I do have the Weather Bug at home, and while it takes a bit of time to load at the beginning, it is nice to have - the local temperature is always in your tray!

DR NOEL - I think I liked the original AKBD movie because of the casting of Robert Wagner as a psychopath, Mary Astor as his mother, George MacCready as a wealthy old man, and Virginia Leith as a victim - not to mention Jeffrey Hunter as the good guy!  And the first murder is still pretty unexpected and shocking!  Gerd Oswald did a nice job directing.  Remake not so hot, but I like the 1956 movie a lot!

Well DRMG - I want the makeup travel case and the lovely Merle Norman signature compact just like the models had, and I almost forgot the Sarah Coventry "Starburst" earrings and pendant!  What a haul!  And as DRMBARNUM said last night - next Wednesday night we can see the 1958 Miss America Contest!

DRsteveg - what fun to see KMK!  Remember in the 1960's when Monsanto would present Broadway shows?  And you could go into their stores the next day and get the TV soundtrack album?  I have Brigadoon and they may have done Kiss Me Kate, too.

I will just post this picture of Jeffrey Hunter and Robert Wagner.  I think it has been on HHW before, but it is always good to see.

MusicGuy

« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2003, 06:43:47 AM »

Now then DRs...idols, heart-throbs, etc.. ;

Well, when I was really young I think I had a crushes on Gale Storm. Ann Sothern, and Eve Arden.  I later realized that I really wanted Gale's apartment, Ann's sense of style and independence, and Eve's wonderful wit and independence.

OK, a little later it kind of got transferred to  Don Grady, David Stollery, Bobby Rydell, George Nader, Richard Chamberlain, Bob Conrad, George Chakiris, and a few others.  

It was fun living right in the middle of "old Hollywood" (2 blocks from the Capitol Record Tower) from about 1966 to 1970.  I would encounter any number of these type folks at various movie theatres, restaurants, etc., around town.  I use to eat lunch at the Vine street Brown Derby a couple times a week, and it was a wonderful spot for people watching.  

I now officially sound like an old poop, living in the past.  But you know what kids?  A lot of the people back then who had celebrity recognition, also had a lot of style, class, professionalism, and grooming that went along with just being well known.

I never once saw Mr. Stanley Kramer at his usual booth wearing a torn T-shirt, dirty jeans, and grungy sandals with dirty feet.

I'm afraid all of the changes up to the present can't all be regarded as progress.

Matt H.

« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2003, 06:51:19 AM »

OK, here's my very first crush. Sorry for the quality of the picture. It's Guy Madison.

MusicGuy

« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2003, 06:51:50 AM »

;D  :o   :-X

Oh my God Jrand...

Do you know how quickly we all would probably be thrown out of the Living Room, if we started to suggest captions for your pic of Jeff Hunter and R. Wagner??  The look on Wagner's face is just almost too easy to caption.

But NAY !!  I shall leave well enough alone, and be a good K/K.  It's just a good thing that TD isn't commenting on that right now, and I think Oz--Tom might be asleep at the moment.

By the way, wasn't Emily (cow-eyes) McLaughlin married for a while to Jeff Hunter??

:P

MusicGuy

« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2003, 06:54:07 AM »

DR MattH --

Well, a thousand huzzahs to you;  your pic of Guy Madison is, of course, just about the ultimate.  He almost deserves his own category above mere "heart-throb"......

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2003, 06:59:04 AM »

Yes he was!

And please share the story - if you encountered Miss Gale Storm!  8)
« Last Edit: December 02, 2003, 06:59:43 AM by JRand53 »

Matt H.

« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2003, 07:01:27 AM »

In junior high school, it became this fine fellow: Pernell Roberts. (No cracks about all the cowboys! There were a LOT of westerns on TV back then.)

MusicGuy

« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2003, 07:10:26 AM »

DR Jrand --    Unfortunately, I never got to meet Ms. Storm.  I did however get to meet Ann Sothern several times in later years, and she was very sweet to me.  She was visiting a friend of mine, and she would always pull up in her terribly elegant Siver Cloud I, and I remember she had a cute little dog that would wait for her out in the car.  Her daughter had a small restaurant in Hollywood for a short while, and I knew a couple of the dancer/waiters that worked there.

I thought for fun I'd post this picture of another very handsome and talented guy that I had the fun of meeting and interviewing......a few years ago...  ;)

Matt H.

« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2003, 07:13:19 AM »

Here's my guy somewhat older, but even in this daddy bear state, I find him sexy. And next to him is heartthrob #3: Gregory Harrison. It was SO exciting to see Gregory in the FOLLIES revival a couple of years ago. I thought he was the best of the four principals. I had tickets for STEEL PIER, too, but the show closed before I got to NYC that summer.

Matt H.

« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2003, 07:18:17 AM »

DR MG, I loved Ann Sothern; PRIVATE SECRETARY was a must growing up.

Always liked Johnny MAthis, too, and that super handsome fellow in the picture with him might qualify as a HHW hearthrob discovery!  :)

Matt H.

« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2003, 07:34:56 AM »

I would love to have seen that Drake/Morison KISS ME KATE. I've often been tempted to request it at the Museum opf TV and Radio, but I have always found something else I wanted to see more.

A dear friend sent me a copy of the Mary Martin ANNIE GET YOUR GUN some years ago, and when you see things like it, KATE, WONDERFUL TOWN, BLOOMER GIRL, it makes you a little sad that TV doesn't do adaptations of Broadway any more. We're lucky when we get an INTO THE WOODS or SMOKEY JOE's CAFE for TV viewing.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up