Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: THE SAN FERNANDO VALLEY OF THE DOLLS  (Read 21445 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:THE SAN FERNANDO VALLEY OF THE DOLLS
« Reply #120 on: December 02, 2003, 01:43:09 PM »

Um, it was called FAMILY AFFAIR. A FAMILY AFFAIR was the first Andy Hardy picture with Lionel Barrymore as Judge Hardy.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #121 on: December 02, 2003, 01:45:54 PM »

Thanks Ron. My reason for watching TT was Mr Conway. Some years later I used to watch a TV show (something about a Family but I can't remember the title) just to see the wonderful Brian Keith. I always thought Mr Keith should have been cast in "The Winds Of War" with Polly Bergen instead of Robert Mitchum. (No I don't mean that Polly should have played the Robert Mitchum role - it's just early here OK)

Robert Mitchum was horrible.  I have always been a fan of Brian Keith and agree he would have been good.  I do however think Ed Asner would have been perfect.  

Tomovoz

« Reply #122 on: December 02, 2003, 01:46:48 PM »

If Mr Conway pointed his guns at me I would certainly do as I was told. Actually he would only have to suggest it. "Dont Take Your Guns To Town".
Thanks Matt.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #123 on: December 02, 2003, 01:47:03 PM »

DR MATTH - isn't that strange?  Different people like different things about ZIEGFELD GIRL.  I think, as DR RON pointed out, the movie ultimately belongs to Turner - but I enjoy Hedy's story.

Do you have a favorite Hedy Lamarr movie, or are you just NOT a fan at all?
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jane

« Reply #124 on: December 02, 2003, 01:47:51 PM »

I think DR Jane has coined a new word term that should come into wide usage:

HEAT THROB!

LOL.  That works for me, even if it was unintentional.

Tomovoz

« Reply #125 on: December 02, 2003, 01:48:41 PM »

Great casting idea Jane. The show could have been so good. I would not have cast Ali McGraw as Natalie either.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #126 on: December 02, 2003, 01:51:55 PM »

Tastes change and my "Heat Throbs" of later years are Reuben Blades and have I ever mentioned Kevin Spacey on this site?
Are there any other fans of "The Millagro Bean Field War" out there? Wonderful music too.
James Thurber 1957

Jane

« Reply #127 on: December 02, 2003, 01:59:17 PM »

Great casting idea Jane. The show could have been so good. I would not have cast Ali McGraw as Natalie either.

NO WAY!!!  I would have cast Pete Duel as Byron if he had not sadly ended his life.  Now there was a heart throb.  They could have at least cast someone with charm and humor for the role, not Jan-Michael Vincent who only knew how to sulk.  It was interesting to me Ben Murphy was cast as Byron's brother when I had wanted his T.V. co star from Alias Smith & Jones as Byron.

Matt H.

« Reply #128 on: December 02, 2003, 02:01:31 PM »

Hmmmmm. I just read that Len Cariou is going to do KISMET for Reprise! Now, I think Len Cariou was a wonderful actor in the 1970s (saw him in APPLAUSE and A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC; obviously heard him on the cast albums of SWEENEY TODD and DANCE A LITTLE CLOSER), but the last couple of times he's sung in public lately, he had considerable vocal problems with pitch, sustain, and tone. And KISMET is one of the real larynx-busting scores for a baritone. Wonder whose idea it was to cast him in this role?

Matt H.

« Reply #129 on: December 02, 2003, 02:04:54 PM »

DR Tom, I guess I'm just not really a Hedy fan. I can't say that I've seen every movie she made, but the three or four I have seen I didn't think she did anything in them but look beautiful.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #130 on: December 02, 2003, 02:09:22 PM »

Jrand, I'm afraid downloading wouldn't be enough - I need to have the album in my hands, to feel it beneath my fingers, to be tactile with it, to swoon over the cover.

No, no, they can't take that away from me.

Tomovoz

« Reply #131 on: December 02, 2003, 02:10:18 PM »

So who's "Hedy"? I guess your comment was for Jack.
James Thurber 1957

MBarnum

« Reply #132 on: December 02, 2003, 02:11:39 PM »

Brian Keith has long been a favorite of mine too! Love FAMILY AFFAIR! He was good in THE WESTERNER too, which TV Land used to show.

My current heart throb is Mr. Patrick Warburton! Although Tom Selleck still looks mighty fine.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2003, 02:18:14 PM by MBarnum »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #133 on: December 02, 2003, 02:12:44 PM »

Here it is for MR BK and any other brave soul....at this website, you can download Miss Patty Duke's United Artists Album...Songs From Valley of the Dolls!

http://www.topqualityrockandroll.com/mm-VODrecord.html

Matt H.

« Reply #134 on: December 02, 2003, 02:23:05 PM »

DR MBarnum: Have you been watching Patrick on LESS THAN PERFECT this season in a recurring role? He's been really funny. I never got around to buying the DVDs of THE TICK, but I'd like to.

MBarnum

« Reply #135 on: December 02, 2003, 02:31:43 PM »

Matth, I have never hear of Less then Perfect? Didn't even realize Patrick was on anything at this time! Doggone it!

I saw an episode of THE TICK, but thought it was horrible!

Hey, was anyone here a fan of the short lived series from about a year ago called GREG THE BUNNY?

Jed

« Reply #136 on: December 02, 2003, 02:34:19 PM »

Tom - I seem to remember enjoying "The Milagro Bean Field War," but since I was only 14 or so when I saw it, I really only remember enjoying Sonia Braga. :)
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Jed

« Reply #137 on: December 02, 2003, 02:43:55 PM »

One of my favorite Patrick Warburton performances was on an episode of the very short-lived (only 12 episodes aired) "Hiller and Diller."  Either Kevin Nealon's or Richard Lewis' character was recounting the evening's events, making themselves out to be quite heroic.  In their dreamlike recollection, they were played by Patrick Warburton.  Warburton delivered a number of wonderfully comedic melodramatic lines, such as, "I have to go upstairs... where the fire is!" and "The children... I must save the children... for they are our future."  Not the least bit funny on the written page, but trust me, he was hilarious.
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Tomovoz

« Reply #138 on: December 02, 2003, 02:44:43 PM »

But who could forget the Spiderwoman? Time to watch the show again Jed. I love the pacing of the show and its whimsical nature. The David Grushin score (on his "Migration" album) is beautiful. Even Melanie Griffith is OK.
James Thurber 1957

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #139 on: December 02, 2003, 02:55:18 PM »

Hey, was anyone here a fan of the short lived series from about a year ago called GREG THE BUNNY?
Der Brucer was, but he kept forgetting when it was on.  Either that, or they kept moving it.  Either way, it sure disappeared quickly.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

MBarnum

« Reply #140 on: December 02, 2003, 02:59:34 PM »

I LOVED Greg the Bunny. It was very original and very, IMHO, hilarious. I could never get any of my buddies or co-workers to give it a chance though, as soon as they saw that half the cast were puppets!

I keep hearing rumors of the episodes coming out on DVD, but alas, nothing so far.

Matt H.

« Reply #141 on: December 02, 2003, 03:01:32 PM »

I bought SCREAM 3 because of the presences of Patrick Warburton and Patrick Dempsey.

SwishySarah

• Swish On!
« Reply #142 on: December 02, 2003, 03:02:53 PM »

Hello, fellow DR's. I haz just returned from a long, coffee filled day. I had 4 Starbucks coffees today, isn't that sad? I got one this morning, on the way to school. After first period, I went into my old science teacher's room for our weekly chit-chat, and his wife (aslo a teacher at the school) had brought him a coffee he didn't want. So I took it. Later, during lunch, a friend of mine was sneaking out to grab some food and wanted to know if I wanted to go. So we drove over to Starbucks, and I got yet ANOTHER coffee. After school, I went to Borders to get a book for History, and when my mom pulled up in the car, she had gotten me a coffee. You'd think I'd be sick of them, but no. Peppermint Mochas are wonderful.

50's heartthrobs? Well obviously, I didn't like them in the 50's, but Gene Kelly is wonderful. Just so classy and handsome and *drool*.

Maya: I was in love with Matthew Broderick for the majority of 4 years. I watched FERRIS BEULLERS DAY OFF every day. Don't remember WHEN that was, but I loved him. He was so dreamy :).

Ron: I completely agree with you about Paris Hilton. She is a skank, born into money, with no obvious morals whatsoever. And she is NOT an idol to anyone today, I promise. I actually think she's kind of funny looking.

Jose: Now, every time you post, I'll have a stupid grin on my face for a few minutes. You have quite an infectious smile!

I'm listening to the Kelly Clarkson CD. I love her voice...but she has a riffing problem. As in she NEVER STOPS RIFFING. I don't even MIND it when someone does it a few times per song or whatever. But she can't even let a note go by without shaking her voice. It's SO weird!

Oh, and I am officially the "female half" of a duet in my show choir. I'm kind of surprised that I got it, but I guess it's exciting. Sometimes I wish I didn't get these things though.

Ann: CONGRATS ON YOUR RECITAL!! You are the champion :).
...Walk in the sunshine...

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #143 on: December 02, 2003, 03:08:05 PM »

I like Patrick Warburton a lot in a movie called The Woman Chaser, about a car salesman in 1960's Hollywood who is trying to make a movie.

My video is in B/W, but I saw it on cable and it's in color!  Strange....but Patrick is great!  And he does ballet!

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #144 on: December 02, 2003, 03:13:15 PM »

Dance of the Vampires... where have you been Dear Ron?

Immersed in other pursuits, I guess.  

Tomovoz

« Reply #145 on: December 02, 2003, 03:15:16 PM »

So who's Kelly Clarkson Sarah ? Is she these year's Mariah, Britney or ? I use to try and keep up with all the latest (until I retired from teaching) by watching video hits or whatever but I found most of the female singers could well have been the same person. Have not really found anyone "interesting" since Sheryl Crow. I don't even find Norah Jones' voice very interesting. It is so long since I heard a new "pop voice" that said "must have" in my collection. Michelle Branch seems to have possibilities.
James Thurber 1957

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #146 on: December 02, 2003, 03:18:10 PM »

DR Tom, I guess I'm just not really a Hedy fan. I can't say that I've seen every movie she made, but the three or four I have seen I didn't think she did anything in them but look beautiful.

Beautiful was what she did best!  That's all I remembered about her in this film from childhood....mesmerizing beauty!!

She was a "movie star", not an actress!!

:)

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #147 on: December 02, 2003, 03:24:23 PM »

DR TomFromOz:  Jody, the little red-headed boy, was played by Johnny Whitaker.  The little girl who played Buffy (with her Mrs. Beasley doll) (and whose name I forget) died of a drug overdose in her late teens/early 20s.

Kelly Clarkson won the first "American Idol" competition.  Her runnerup was, amazingly, Justin Guarini.  

They made a movie that opened and closed in about 15 seconds and is now languishing on video store shelves.  It's title:  "From Justin to Kelly With Love."

Gag-o-rama!

Matt H.

« Reply #148 on: December 02, 2003, 03:25:21 PM »

Since Sarah's not online at this moment, I'll answer for her. Kelly Clarkson was the first winner of AMERICAN IDOL.

Maya

• I've always wanted to see the lights of Broadway..
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #149 on: December 02, 2003, 03:26:27 PM »

SWW--I also enjoyed Greg the Bunny.  Even before Avenue Q, something about the idea of puppets and kiddie show characters acting vulgar and humanlike just struck me as sooo funny.  My favorite character was Count Blah.  

Swishy--Matthew Broderick has always been adorable, yes!  And I totally agree about Gene Kelly...he had a great butt.

Congrats on the duet!  I'm sooo proud of my lil sis!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Up