Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: YE OLDE NOTES  (Read 33578 times)

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
Re:YE OLDE NOTES
« Reply #150 on: August 09, 2005, 01:36:37 PM »

DR Ron Pulliam....

My brother and I may be exceedingly similar, but we are still two different people.   ;) (almost a Frank Loesser reference...)

But speaking of my brother, former DR Jay, we decided recently that we needed to do something special to celebrate the 75th birthday of our mother.

For various reasons, including the fact that one of her dear friends from Brooklyn moved out there, we are taking her to Vegas for a long weekend in October.  Jay will drive her out from the County of Orange, and I will fly out of Rochester's International Airport to meet them.  ORiginally, I was going to fly out on Saturday though they were not going to arrive until Sunday, and depart on Tuesday.  But while working with Orbitz, which had given me a lovely price on a Saturday night, which in conjunction with my flight, made it actually cheaper to fly out and take an extra night in the hotel.  But when I got to purchasing, Orbitz let me know that the price they quoted wasn't truly the price I would be paying for Saturday night.  I was not happy to find that out.

So, 2 nights at the hotel instead of one.  But the Jet Blue sale that is going on right now (til tomorrow, I think) has some very nice deals....

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #151 on: August 09, 2005, 01:38:43 PM »

I fought the mundane-stay-at-home un-inspired urge and went for a 4 mile power walk.  I'm not at the office eating cold fried chicken from Safeway and it's very yummy.  

DR Elmore - a local theatre company- 42nd Street Moon in San Francisco who specializes in semi-staged rare or lost musicals has "Golden Apple" as part of their season this year.  I'll be sure and check it out when it plays in early 2006.

DR Jason - can one still rent the 1970's orchestrations for "Company" when licensing the show?  I know the standard set is the revival.  Any clew?

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #152 on: August 09, 2005, 01:41:22 PM »

Sweet Super Sugar Crisp, I am back and I am caught up. It took some doing, as there have been so many goings-on in these here parts. Ascensions! Congrats to FJL and Hisaka and soon Cillaliz.
Happy birthday to td (waterhouse) and Der Brucer. Happy Anniversary to Ben and Ant.
Did I miss anyone? I hope not.
I DID miss MattH who was in town here. I would have given you PLAYBILLS in advance of your shows. Wouldn't that be fun to walk into the theatre and be asked, "Playbill?" and casually say, "Nope. I already have one." Sounded like you enjoyed SCOUNDRELS as I did.

Ginny

« Reply #153 on: August 09, 2005, 01:43:41 PM »

Welcome back, DR Rodzinski!  How was your visit to the midwest?
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #154 on: August 09, 2005, 01:46:09 PM »

I got in about 2am last night, since our ATA pilot was late arriving and nobody knew where he was. (I'd complain about ATA, but they're not doing too well). So the upshot of it was, I barely got to see TPunk this morning and she is now flying westward as I type. :(

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #155 on: August 09, 2005, 01:49:56 PM »

The Midwest was great. I mean, good people out there. I hate  that every time I go, more of what I remember as farmland or woods has been built on by lousy McMansion subdivisions, but I guess that's the way of the world these days.

I attended the Lake County Fair, the Fair of my youth, and enjoyed, yes, delightful corn on the cob, and an elephant ear.

Rummaging through my mom's garage, I found her old Playbills for NO STRINGS and CAMELOT from a visit she made out here as a young lady.

Jason

« Reply #156 on: August 09, 2005, 01:54:07 PM »

Welcome home, DR Rodzinski! Hope you had fun in Indiana....

DR Matthew: The original 1970 orchestration is available for COMPANY. It is listed as the "Alternate Orchestration."

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #157 on: August 09, 2005, 01:55:07 PM »

Also, I am deaf.

Okay, that is HYPERBOLE, but tell me if this happens to anyone else... You may remember I was a little sick when I left. I was a little congested on the trip. The flight to Chicago gave me no problems, but my return flight caused pounding pain in my ears. And now, they are plugged up. My hearing is muffled by 50%. This has happened to me before. Sometimes it clears up on its own. Sometimes I gotta seek medical help.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #158 on: August 09, 2005, 01:57:50 PM »

Who said Allison Hayes was boring? To me, va-va voom!

I also like Diana Canova. I can't think of her without seeing her dressed as the Statue of Liberty on that classic "Happy Days" episode.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #159 on: August 09, 2005, 01:58:41 PM »

Pogue, you should post pix of your PSYCHO III sign.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #160 on: August 09, 2005, 02:00:43 PM »

Sure - during my dinner hour, I will try to download some look-alikes from the Pontiac website and post them.

How glad was The Vixter to see all the back-to-school ads in Sunday's paper?

School doesn't start again here until September 7 so it's still far away as far as she's concerned.

Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

vixmom

« Reply #161 on: August 09, 2005, 02:07:05 PM »

Also, I am deaf.

Okay, that is HYPERBOLE, but tell me if this happens to anyone else... You may remember I was a little sick when I left. I was a little congested on the trip. The flight to Chicago gave me no problems, but my return flight caused pounding pain in my ears. And now, they are plugged up. My hearing is muffled by 50%. This has happened to me before. Sometimes it clears up on its own. Sometimes I gotta seek medical help.

You need to buy "Ear-planes" before your next air trip.  The Vixter & I both suffer terribly from the change in cabin pressure and this wonderful invention usually prevents  the pain, discomfort and followup  deafnesss..

Available in CVS and other local drugstores

http://www.earplanes.com/earplanes.htm

vixmom

« Reply #162 on: August 09, 2005, 02:08:51 PM »

Well Welpocme back dear Rodzinski you have been missed I must now brave the terrors of the Long Island Expressway

laters wienerschitzel caio- ders

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #163 on: August 09, 2005, 02:11:21 PM »

Yes we need to see the Pogue sign.

Until DR CP mentioned it, I hadn't really studied the art work on the Gary Cooper Collection....and he is indeed correct, it includes stills from the Ronald Colman version of BEAU GESTE.....strange!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #164 on: August 09, 2005, 02:12:22 PM »

Well off to dress rehearsal-family picture night of PIPPIN.  The cast kept asking about blocking the curtain call...and I kept saying ask the director...I don't know.  So tonight, I guess we will block it....or rather I guess I will, since we open on Thursday!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #165 on: August 09, 2005, 02:12:43 PM »

Yes as DR RODZINSKI discovered there is more than corn in Indiana.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #166 on: August 09, 2005, 02:22:08 PM »

A reminder to fans of the show that a new RENO 911! comes on tonight at 10.

Thanks! :-* I can never be reminded enough! ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Donna

• It's never too late.
    • Cabaret West
« Reply #167 on: August 09, 2005, 02:30:25 PM »

Topic of the Day -- I can't say that any film, play or book changed my life but some were very influential. First of all, I grew up on Astaire/Rogers films and on all those MGM musicals. The films definitely influenced my choreography, as I used a lot of props as the jumping off point for many of my dances. I don't remember which film it was that I saw this in but, when a boy in my grammar school kissed me on the cheek, I hauled off and slapped him across the face--BECAUSE I SAW IT IN A MOVIE! It's no doubt that children learn by imitation, and I'm convinced that there would be less violence in the real world if the reel world wasn't so graphic in their depictions (fat chance of turning this around, especially since the impressionable can now watch films over and over again on video).

JRand54 -- Regarding your Allison Hayes [Cheesecake] Picture of the Month: When Teresa Wright passed on, I did some research on the net and found this excerpt from her Hollywood contract:

The aforementioned Teresa Wright shall not be required to pose for photographs in a bathing suit unless she is in the water. Neither may she be photographed running on the beach with her hair flying in the wind. Nor may she pose in any of the following situations: In shorts, playing with a cocker spaniel; digging in a garden; whipping up a meal; attired in firecrackers and holding skyrockets for the Fourth of July; looking insinuatingly at a turkey for Thanksgiving; wearing a bunny cap with long ears for Easter; twinkling on prop snow in a skiing outfit while a fan blows her scarf; assuming an athletic stance while pretending to hit something with a bow and arrow...

MattH -- I, too, agree that those earlier Tony Award shows were classier. Credit has to be given to Alexander Cohen and Hildy Parks, the husband and wife team who produced and wrote them.

Re: Kevin Spiritas -- Kevin will be the featured performer at the 2005-2006 Cabaret Series at the Ruth B. Shannon Center for the Performing Arts at Whittier College on February 25, 2006. Cabaret West is a co-sponsor of the series. I don't know if BK mentioned this or not, but Kevin was Hugh Jackman's standby in "The Boy From Oz." He played Dr. Craig Wesley on "Days of Our Lives" for 7-1/2 years and made his Broadway debut in "A Chorus Line." His got his film break in "Friday the 13th VII."

Club Cabaret at The Shannon Center has three more performances left if any of you are in the area  With table seating on the stage, the ticket includes a free beverage and cheese plate. The remaining shows are: Scott Dreier on August 12 in "It's Standard Time." Scott has tons of musical theatre experience in California in lead roles. Besides standards and Broadway, he will also do a special tribute to Stephen Sondheim in honor of his 75th birthday. On August 13, Karen Benjamin & Alan Chapman will do two shows: At 7:30, it's "Movie Music Madness" which will feature movie songs from the '30s, '40s and '50s. It'll be part cabaret, part sing-along and part game show as the audience will get a chance to compete for prizes answering questions about the music, writers and films. At the 10:30 show, they will do "Obscene and Not Heard," a collection of racy and politically in-correct songs by Alan and others. If you're easily offended, skip the show! Here's where it'll be http://www.shannoncenter.org OR, for more, see the CabWest website at http://www.cabaretwest.org.

Ginny

« Reply #168 on: August 09, 2005, 02:44:16 PM »

OK, here goes.  I think I've cropped this photo so it won't send us into widescreen:

"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #169 on: August 09, 2005, 02:45:20 PM »

Also, I am deaf.

Rodzinski -- Ever since you arrived at this here site, I have thought that you should seek medical help.  Perhaps you and I could find a 2-for-1 coupon!
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

MBarnum

« Reply #170 on: August 09, 2005, 02:56:27 PM »

Welcome back DR Rodzinski! Whilst you were away enjoying the company of your clan my computer was returned from the Best Buy repair shop, rather scurffed up, but mostly in working order (the DVD/software compatibility issue was not resolved!), and I have been in the process of finishing some CDs for you.

Jennifer

« Reply #171 on: August 09, 2005, 03:03:47 PM »

DR Jed, isn't tonight's BOSTON LEGAL a repeat?

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #172 on: August 09, 2005, 03:08:30 PM »

I'm taking my Sunset Blvd recordings and moving to an island.

Cillaliz

« Reply #173 on: August 09, 2005, 03:19:36 PM »

Hi all, welcome back DR Rodzinski

Cillaliz

« Reply #174 on: August 09, 2005, 03:22:33 PM »

Well, I took the cats to the vet today. It was a good news/bad news type of thing.  Callie who was bordering on death last winter now has a clean bill of health. That was very exciting because they didn't think she would survive.  

Nilla, on the other hand has apparently broken a tooth and has a big abscess in his mouth. OUCH!  I only noticed that he wasn't eating as much. He doesn't act like it hurts.  He goes in for teeth cleaning and probably extraction of the offending tooth on Friday morning.    At least it appears that this is fixable, so I'm concerned, but not terribly so
« Last Edit: August 09, 2005, 03:24:00 PM by Cillaliz »

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #175 on: August 09, 2005, 03:50:38 PM »

OK, here goes.  I think I've cropped this photo so it won't send us into widescreen:

Wow!  That's pretty darned snazzy!
« Last Edit: August 09, 2005, 03:52:56 PM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jed

« Reply #176 on: August 09, 2005, 04:06:49 PM »

DR Jed, isn't tonight's BOSTON LEGAL a repeat?

Yes, it is, but as the show hasn't been shown at all since March (and ABC never aired a single rerun of it during the season), I'm still looking forward to seeing it tonight.  Reruns of this are far more appealing to me than 95% of the first-run stuff on TV the past couple months.  The new season starts September 27th, which I am greatly looking forward to.
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #177 on: August 09, 2005, 04:26:46 PM »

Apparently, Donna has not been reading this site, or she would know that all those things were mentioned, and that I, in fact, put together Mr. Spirtas' show and directed it.  So, she will be getting both of us in Feb.

Now, opinions needed section:

In Japan, they do these wonderfully cool things called mini LP packaging.  They are slightly bigger than jewel case packages (instead of 4x4 they are basically 5 1/4 x 5 1/4).  These releases look exactly like what their name implies - miniature LP albums.  I really love them, and I'm thinking of trying to bring this style of packaging to Kritzerland.  I think if I were to do this, we would, as always, see a host of other specialty labels suddenly imitating us as if they'd thought of it themselves.  For cast albums, for example, we would do a gatefold mini LP - just like the cast albums of Subways, or  Sound of Music or Hello, Dolly! on LP.  The interior two pages of the gatefold would have lots of photos.  The back of the jacket would have track listing and maybe credits.  Then, inside the sleeve would be a single double-sided page which fold open and is, in essence, eight panels of text, even though it's just like a folded piece of paper, so in essence you'd get eight pages of text.

What do you all think of this idea?

I visited our pressing plant today and showed them the packaging and our gal there was completely blown away by it and will be talking to her printers tomorrow to see how much they think it will cost them to do it.  If it's the same price (she actually thinks it may be LESS expensive, but we shall see) or even a few pennies more, I may just try to do it.  But, I'd like some opinions.  They'd be much easier to ship, no broken jewel cases or hubs ever, and I could conceivably lower the shipping costs by seventy-five cents.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #178 on: August 09, 2005, 04:29:54 PM »

(Continued sound of tapping fingers on desk...)

Oh, DRAT!

Damn, damn, damn, damn....

You KNOW what I meant...

STUART....

Let your DB know I have him on my mind!

(And so sorry!)
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #179 on: August 09, 2005, 04:31:21 PM »

Well, the afternoon is a wash.

Another day, another dollar....

Time to go home, crank up the PC and live BB6 feeds...and veg out.

« Last Edit: August 09, 2005, 04:34:22 PM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10   Go Up