Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down

Author Topic: BUG-A-BOOS  (Read 29923 times)

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
Re:BUG-A-BOOS
« Reply #180 on: August 11, 2005, 06:14:27 PM »

[move=UP,scroll,6,transparent,100%]
CONGRATS CILLALIZ ON YOUR ASCENSION TO THE HHW HEAVENS!!
[/move]
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #181 on: August 11, 2005, 06:16:53 PM »

In honor of Cillaliz, The Page 7 Celebration Dance!:

Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Danise

« Reply #182 on: August 11, 2005, 06:21:43 PM »

About the airport—I’ve always caught the local shuttle who picks you up hours before your flight.  I consider myself a good traveler because like DR Pogue, I make my way through the lines then either sit with a word puzzle or read a book until time to board.  

This will be the first trip with a lap top computer so I am hoping I will be able to get a little posting in while I wait.  
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Danise

« Reply #183 on: August 11, 2005, 06:22:45 PM »

Time for bed.  Have a good evening everyone!
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Cillaliz

« Reply #184 on: August 11, 2005, 06:24:08 PM »

Thanks all for the welcome to the heavens. Nice view from up here

Jennifer

« Reply #185 on: August 11, 2005, 06:50:48 PM »

DISCUSSION OF BIG BROTHER LIVE FEEDS.

Wow this endurance challenge could make things interesting!  I guess people on the west coast can watch before they've even seen the show.

I think it's a crazy idea to put them in that box. I would be freaking out.
Now apparently they are allowed to bribe people with the contents of their box (you hold a button and lose if you take your hand off, then each gets to open a mystery box).

Cillaliz

« Reply #186 on: August 11, 2005, 06:57:27 PM »

DISCUSSION OF BIG BROTHER LIVE FEEDS.

Wow this endurance challenge could make things interesting!  I guess people on the west coast can watch before they've even seen the show.

I think it's a crazy idea to put them in that box. I would be freaking out.
Now apparently they are allowed to bribe people with the contents of their box (you hold a button and lose if you take your hand off, then each gets to open a mystery box).

LIVE FEED DISCUSSION

One hour and no one has let go....this could last a long time. I think until they start opening boxes and they get freaked out

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #187 on: August 11, 2005, 07:05:46 PM »

What's worse, and is my TRUE bug-a-boo is when he (or anyone) puts back, let's say, a bag of potato chips (Baked Lays, nowadays, natch!) with maybe 2 chips left.  Or...puts an ice cube tray back in the freezer with one cube in it.  (And hasn't re-filled the rest of the spots!)  Or a half gallon of orange juice with maybe a quarter inch of OJ left.

I actually coined a new noun for just such a phenomenon here in our household.  I call it a "Betsy", as in "You've left a Betsy of juice in the bottle again."   ;)
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #188 on: August 11, 2005, 07:23:48 PM »

Good Evening!

Back from seeing Tough Titty... A very thought-provoking evening.  A wonderful troupe of actors in a work filled with some beautiful images - physical and literary - and some laugh out loud exchanges, such as:

What's this?
-Gefilte fish.
What's gefilte fish?
-Jewish Spam.

:)

The play deals with one woman's battle with breast cancer, and her life as a woman, a mother, a friend, a wife... a survivor.  There is a beautiful old Hebrew poem printed in the program which sums up the spirit of the show perfectly, beautifully...

When we stand on the low rungs of the ladder of sorrow,
we cry.
When we come to the middle,
we're silent.
But when we climb to the top of the ladder of sorrow,
we convert sadness into song.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #189 on: August 11, 2005, 07:24:31 PM »

Off to the Cabaret...

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #190 on: August 11, 2005, 07:30:06 PM »

Welcome to Goddesshoodness, DR Cillaliz!
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Cillaliz

« Reply #191 on: August 11, 2005, 07:42:16 PM »

Thanks DR Dan

I've been watching the live feed of BB6, pretty boring right now, this could go on all night

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #192 on: August 11, 2005, 07:47:15 PM »

My chief bug-a-boo are women people who count out change when paying for their purchases in a store when there is a long line of customers behind them.  The amount total on the cash register is something like $4.68, and instead of simply handing over a five dollar bill, these women people will extract four rolled up singles from their change purses and then rummage through the coin compartment for two quarters, a dime, a nickle and three pennies (carefully filtering for Bicentennial quarters and Weedie pennies), never giving a thought to the people behind them who are suffering in wait.  Totally inconsiderate!  Grrrrrrrrrr!!!
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #193 on: August 11, 2005, 07:48:18 PM »

Yes, I used to go ballistic when my partner would put a Coke back in the refrigerator with less than a swallow left in it and not replcae it in the frig so it could be getting cold.

That might be one reason why I've been partnerless for 7 years.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #194 on: August 11, 2005, 07:52:54 PM »

Sorry, DR Ron, that you won't be joining the widescreen revolution, but it's totally understandable when you've got a set that works and suits your needs just fine. It is not a necessity, and I'm sure you could use the money elsewhere.

You're probably the smartest of us all. When the time comes and you're ready to take the plunge, the prices will be ever-lower, and you'll find a really sweet deal.

Matt H.

« Reply #195 on: August 11, 2005, 07:55:36 PM »

Nice to welcome a new goddess to the heavens. I'm sure you've found out by now that it's lovely up here. (A Lane-Lerner reference).

Matt H.

« Reply #196 on: August 11, 2005, 08:00:59 PM »

Got around to TONY ROME tonight. Not an inspired crime drama/mystery, and the pace was pretty flat, I thought. Lots of interesting people in the cast, and I'm sure some of our straight HHW gentlemen would enjoy seeing Jill St. John and Sue Lyon and Gena Rowlands in various stages of undress.

I recorded this off the FMC, so the qualilty wasn't the greatest with a slightly soft focus and somewhat pale Deluxe color. To give them credit, they did show the entire Panavision frame, however, so at least I saw the entire image, unexciting as it was.

Matt H.

« Reply #197 on: August 11, 2005, 08:04:22 PM »

After watching CSI in high definition on CBS tonight, I thought I'd put in one of the Season 1 DVDs of CSI. This was the season that CBS decided not to issue in anamorphic DVD (even though they were filmed in high definition), so these were full frame transfers. Of course, all of the other seasons look far better than this does with the enhancement they have, but the transfers are still very sharp and looked good if not great. I may watch one or two more before putting the box back on the shelf.

Matt H.

« Reply #198 on: August 11, 2005, 08:05:05 PM »

I have some decisions to make about tomorrow's DVD so I can list it properly in the Friday Media Check.

Decisions, decisions. . . .

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #199 on: August 11, 2005, 08:20:30 PM »

So has anyone watched any of The Muppet Show Season One collection yet?  We all seemed so eager to get it, but I haven't read anything here about it this week.

(I should talk--my copy is still in the cellophane.)
-- Anaïs Nin

Matt H.

« Reply #200 on: August 11, 2005, 08:24:03 PM »

I didn't buy it. I had bought some of those individual DVDs with three episodes each on them, and I think that will be all I'll get. I do like them, but I think what I have will suffice.

Matt H.

« Reply #201 on: August 11, 2005, 08:25:21 PM »

Speaking of the Muppets, I saw that THE MUPPET WIZARD OF OZ was also released on DVD this week. I didn't watch it on the network last year, and I haven't picked this up either.

Can some folks who saw it give thoughts and opinions? Thanks.

George

« Reply #202 on: August 11, 2005, 08:26:21 PM »

So has anyone watched any of The Muppet Show Season One collection yet?  We all seemed so eager to get it, but I haven't read anything here about it this week.

(I should talk--my copy is still in the cellophane.)

I went to Costco today and they had it but I didn't get it.  It wasn't (and still isn't) listed on costco.com, so I ordered it from deepdiscountdvd.com.  It hasn't arrived, yet.  Grrr. >:( If I had known that Costco was going to carry it, I would've just gotten it in person...not on-line.  Darn it. :P

Matt H.

« Reply #203 on: August 11, 2005, 08:27:11 PM »

We;;, I guess it's time to call it a night. Off to bed now.

Hope everyone has a good rest of the evening.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #204 on: August 11, 2005, 08:28:19 PM »

My chief bug-a-boo are women people who count out change when paying for their purchases in a store when there is a long line of customers behind them. ...
As one of those serving these people, I can both sympathize and disagree at the same time.  These are usually very old women, whose bodies are failing them.  They are also often on limited incomes, having to pinch their pennies and feeling embarrassed because of it.  As a cashier, I try to be as patient as I can with them, to be supportive and caring for them... I think sometimes that I'm the only friendly face they see all day.  Today I had a repeat customer, who asked me again to help her run her charge card through the swiper, and I was glad to help her, taking her through the process step by step.

I know how frustrating this can be to the other customers in line.  But we have several checkers working at once, several lines for customers to wait in.  It's rare for us to have more than two customers waiting in line.  And, as a checker, I do try to speed things along as best I can without being rude.  Most of our customers are quite friendly and forgiving, something I am grateful for.

Remember, DR DTM, that little old lady could have been your grandmother!  (Ouch, did I really resort to that hoary cliche?   ::))
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #205 on: August 11, 2005, 08:37:13 PM »

As one of those serving these people, I can both sympathize and disagree at the same time.  These are usually very old women, whose bodies are failing them.  

No, DR SWW, it's never little old ladies 'cause I just push them right out of the way.
-- Anaïs Nin

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #206 on: August 11, 2005, 08:41:32 PM »

Muppet Wizard of Oz wasn't terribly good, IMO.  The notion of a modern Dorothy living in a trailer park, working with her Aunt and Uncle in a diner, and wishing to escape to a better life, that was good.  Unfortunately, the Muppets themselves were somewhat wasted in this effort.  The jokes weren't up to par, the songs were forgettable...oh, wait, that might be a plus, come to think of it.

The real problem was in superimposing the Muppets, with their own characteristics, upon the familiar characters of Oz.  They didn't mesh very well.  The familiar Muppet zaniness, which is quite modern, was not well served by the morality of Oz, which is more American Victorian in style; nor was Oz well served by the modernizing influence of the Muppets; Miss Piggy as a motorcycle-riding and leathered Wicked Witch was jarringly out of place.

It's been long enough between major projects that the Muppets can stand a good shot in the arm, an updating.  This film didn't do it.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #207 on: August 11, 2005, 08:42:24 PM »

No, DR SWW, it's never little old ladies 'cause I just push them right out of the way.
Clean-up in Aisle Seven!!!

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #208 on: August 11, 2005, 08:55:00 PM »

I know how frustrating this can be to the other customers in line.  

It never bothers me to have little old ladies (or children) in front of me in line. It does bother me when there's only one check-out lane open.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #209 on: August 11, 2005, 08:56:09 PM »

BK and Pogue have supped.  A good time was had by all (or both, in this case).  We laughed and laughed until...you know the rest.  I'm home first because I only live about two miles from the restaurant  in the Feliz of Los while BK has to go back over the hill into the Valley of San Fernando.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2005, 09:44:22 PM by Charles Pogue »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up