Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: STRANGE ADVENTURES  (Read 29440 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:STRANGE ADVENTURES
« Reply #90 on: August 24, 2005, 11:18:31 AM »

I'm sooooo tired.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #91 on: August 24, 2005, 11:27:58 AM »

VERY HINKY GOINGS-ON!

I just came back to the site and it had logged me off.

I had to think really hard to remember my password.

And now I have a headache.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #92 on: August 24, 2005, 11:28:58 AM »

I know!

I'll go to lunch now.

Eating always makes me feel better.

Today...szechuan chicken and rice, braised green beans and hand-made dumplings!

Ahhh...I'm feeling better already!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #93 on: August 24, 2005, 11:30:00 AM »

From the WHEN WILL THEY EVER LEARN Department:

Competing DVD Formats at Impasse as Deadline Nears
By Alex Pham
Times Staff Writer

August 24, 2005

A fight over the next generation of DVDs appears inevitable as manufacturers of rival technologies near a self-imposed deadline without agreeing on how to merge their designs into a single standard.

Although some executives hold out hope that a last-minute compromise can be reached, many analysts are skeptical that the two camps — led by Sony Corp. and Toshiba Corp. — can reach a deal that would allow them to jointly roll out new, high-definition DVD players and movies by Christmas.

The impasse recalls the battle 20 years ago between VHS and Betamax for dominance in the fledgling home video market.

Toshiba backs a format called HD DVD, while Sony is behind the Blu-ray format. Both promise ultra-crisp pictures and crystal-clear sound using high-capacity discs the size of current DVDs. Sony and Toshiba want to avoid a format war because consumers are likely to hold off on buying either technology until a winner is established.

"Late August is the practical time limit" to reach an accord, Yoshihide Fujii, Toshiba corporate senior vice president, told the Yomiuri newspaper in Tokyo on Tuesday.

Executives from Sony and the Blu-ray Disc Assn. acknowledged Tuesday that time was running out, but that a deal was still possible.

"We are still optimistic that we can still craft an 11th-hour solution," said Andy Parsons, a spokesman for the Blu-ray association.

Toshiba and Sony plan to launch devices in the coming months. Toshiba has said it will ship an HD DVD player for about $1,000 by Christmas. Sony plans to incorporate a Blu-ray player in its PlayStation 3 game console, set for release in spring 2006; the company also will sell stand-alone Blu-ray DVD players.

Because the underlying technologies are so different, it would take six to nine months for the companies to modify the design and manufacturing of their products to accommodate a unified format once executives agree to a deal, said P.J. McNealy, an analyst at American Technology Research.

Movie studios also are backing off plans for a big debut this holiday. Paramount Pictures, which said in January that it would release 20 films on HD DVD, recently said it would not release any this year. And NBC Universal, which had pledged to release 16 titles on HD DVD, said Tuesday that it was unclear whether those movies would be out by the end of this year.

(The above excepted from LA TIMES)

der Brucer

Whatever will Matt H do?

We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #94 on: August 24, 2005, 11:30:44 AM »

BIG BROTHER.

DR RonP, what did you think of watching April compete in the veto challenge. Now THAT was too funny! :)

I felt sorry for her for the first time.  Truly, she was pitiful.

At least she didn't try to B.S. the Diary Room about her inability to perform physical tasks.

But how surprising was Janelle?  If she hadn't had trouble with that last rope, she'd have won without any trouble at all.  

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #95 on: August 24, 2005, 11:41:41 AM »

DR Elmoore:  I find your ghost story fascinating.....  Spooky, but fascinating.

Both my mother's and father's families have many accounts, some funny and some terrfifying, of paranormal activity.

I'm just back from an orchestra rehearsal of Act One of THE GOLDEN APPLE, which so needs a complete recording, if only for an appreciation of its compositional brilliance.  Every scene seems to be variations on two or three themes and its truly boggling.  Some of it sounds like Moross' BIG COUNTRY score, some parts remind me of Respighi's "Ancient Airs and Dances," and then there are "Windflowers" and "Lazy Afternoon," two examples of perfection in songwriting.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2005, 11:57:14 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #96 on: August 24, 2005, 12:15:55 PM »

Both my mother's and father's families have many accounts, some funny and some terrfifying, of paranormal activity.

I'm just back from an orchestra rehearsal of Act One of THE GOLDEN APPLE, which so needs a complete recording, if only for an appreciation of its compositional brilliance.  Every scene seems to be variations on two or three themes and its truly boggling.  Some of it sounds like Moross' BIG COUNTRY score, some parts remind me of Respighi's "Ancient Airs and Dances," and then there are "Windflowers" and "Lazy Afternoon," two examples of perfection in songwriting.

The only ghost I have ever seen (and both Vixdad and I have seen it although he poopoos the idea of it being anything but a trick of the light) is the ghost of our late lamented pussycat Bandit who I occassionally see napping in the window or walking under the coffeetable.  
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #97 on: August 24, 2005, 12:17:49 PM »

Here is my ask BK question

Can you ewxplain to me the process by which a story goes from book to the screen.

For example, say I thought one of your books would make a great movie... what steps would I have to take to get it to the screen?

« Last Edit: August 24, 2005, 12:18:36 PM by vixmom »
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #98 on: August 24, 2005, 12:20:53 PM »

JMK I suggest you walk through house #2 with two more contractors.

Pogue I remember the accident with Brock Peters.  He was always a pleasure to watch.

Matthew congratulations on your new status.

Elmore your ghost story is very sad.  Has anyone else in the building seen him?

Jason one of my Wednesday hiking group members was explaining the benefits of his CPAP and trying to convince me to go to the sleep clinic here.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #99 on: August 24, 2005, 12:24:56 PM »

I'm just back from an orchestra rehearsal of Act One of THE GOLDEN APPLE, which so needs a complete recording, if only for an appreciation of its compositional brilliance.  .

Your comments on the RCA OBC, please.

der Brucer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #100 on: August 24, 2005, 12:39:43 PM »

Elmore your ghost story is very sad.  Has anyone else in the building seen him?

We've never discussed it, but I suspect there are several ghosts in the building:  the lesbians on the fourth floor swear they have a ghost who takes towels off the shelves and leaves them folded on the floor.  The Ansonia on 73rd and Broadway has a little girl's ghost who haunts one of the towers.  My friend Bill Tynes claimed to have seen her.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #101 on: August 24, 2005, 12:50:47 PM »

Your comments on the RCA OBC, please.

der Brucer

The OBC recording is pathetically short, and I wish the RCA producer had the foresight/clout of Goddard Lieberson to record the complete show on 3 LPs with that fantastic cast.  The show is thorough-composed, and the album can give you a section of, say, "Helen Is Always Willin'" but it cannot show you how brilliantly the melodies in that song are developed in a 10-minute scene.  

The entire opening "Nothing Ever Happens In Angel's Roost," takes the harmonies and melody and runs rampant through a number of moods: Helen's boredom, the three townsladies' chauvinism, Mother Hare's mysticism and cynicism, and Penelope's elation that the Spanish-American War is over and the boys are coming home, at which point "My Love Is On the Way" ends the sequence, which is about 7-8 minutes long.

The only spot on the OBC that shows how some of the piece is composed is truncated "Judgment of Paris."  The theme is on the sax, Mrs Juniper's Angel food sequence is a variation on the theme, and it's about 75% recorded from the entrance of Paris to the can-can off.  Unfortunately, the opening agitato sequence with the balloon is gone (very BIG COUNTRY), as is the ladies' first appearance with their baked goods and the introduction of the theme.  I think the bits and pieces on the OBC arewell-performed and I'm grateful we have what we have.  Alas, it's about one-third of the score.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #102 on: August 24, 2005, 12:55:31 PM »

Wow!  It must be a genetic thing.

Spooky!

In fact, I'm going to probably very nearly almost always be thinking of you as "Spooky Elmore" from now on!

:D

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #103 on: August 24, 2005, 01:01:48 PM »

I know!

I'll go to lunch now.

Eating always makes me feel better.

Today...szechuan chicken and rice, braised green beans and hand-made dumplings!

Ahhh...I'm feeling better already!

Had all but the dumplings.  There were only three of us, and the dumpling plate holds 10 dumplings.  I can't eat 3 of them AND the chicken and green beans...so.

But it was soooo gooood!
« Last Edit: August 24, 2005, 01:30:54 PM by Ron Pulliam »

FJL

« Reply #104 on: August 24, 2005, 01:09:01 PM »

DR Ron - Now you've made me hungry.

Some blintzes and cocoa would hit the spot for some reason, but my dinner guests tonight are lactose intolerant.  :(

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #105 on: August 24, 2005, 01:13:11 PM »

Thanks for your comments, DR elmore, I'm going to get out my cast CD and listen to it.  Right now, I'm on a "Mack and Mabel" kick.  Gotta love it!

MBarnum

« Reply #106 on: August 24, 2005, 01:14:04 PM »

I am sad to report that an ATTACK OF THE PUPPET PEOPLE actor has passed away (which is big news to the likes of me!!). Jack Kossly, who played Sgt. Patterson died of a stroke way back in June! But I only now learned of it....I guess that is why he never answered my inquiry for an interview  :'(

He also was in THE MAGIC SWORD, WAR OF THE COLASSAL BEAST, THE AMAZING COLOSSAL MAN, and EARTH VS THE SPIDER and worked as an acting coach for several decades.

I recall that his mother was a survivor of the famous Triangle Shirt Factory fire.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #107 on: August 24, 2005, 01:20:30 PM »

I think the bits and pieces on the OBC arewell-performed and I'm grateful we have what we have.  Alas, it's about one-third of the score.

Like getting one of those "Highlights" albums of a Puccini opera.

der Brucer

PS Thank you

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #108 on: August 24, 2005, 01:32:43 PM »

Here is my ask BK question

Can you ewxplain to me the process by which a story goes from book to the screen.

For example, say I thought one of your books would make a great movie... what steps would I have to take to get it to the screen?

You'd have to find a producer or studio who liked the book enough to want to option it or have it adapted into a screenplay.  Producers, as a lot, are mostly ignorant people who place far too much reliance on what their teenage "readers" coverage is.  I happen to think the Kritzer books would make three beautiful films, or they could all be rolled into one mini-series or much longer film.  They're soft, but soft in a good way and a way that movies need to get back to.  People are so ready for a film with characters and heart and simplicity and no bombast and I think a look back at a much simpler and better time would be just what the doctor ordered.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #109 on: August 24, 2005, 01:38:05 PM »

You'd have to find a producer or studio who liked the book enough to want to option it or have it adapted into a screenplay.  Producers, as a lot, are mostly ignorant people who place far too much reliance on what their teenage "readers" coverage is.  I happen to think the Kritzer books would make three beautiful films, or they could all be rolled into one mini-series or much longer film.  They're soft, but soft in a good way and a way that movies need to get back to.  People are so ready for a film with characters and heart and simplicity and no bombast and I think a look back at a much simpler and better time would be just what the doctor ordered.

So, BK, is this something that you might actively pursue, or would you just wait until someone else comes to you wanting to do it?
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #110 on: August 24, 2005, 01:41:01 PM »

I got to watch about 45 minutes of THE BARKLEYS OF BROADWAY. The Technicolor is richer than richer - really, it looks like they're used Ultra-Resolution on this (though they haven't) because the color is so deep. The film looks a tad dark to me, though. Maybe that's one reason to color looks so overly saturated.

Anyway, a robe Fred wears used to look like dark purple or navy. Now, it's easy to see that its purple with red and blue piping running through it. Amazing color and detail which DVD affords us.

I have noticed a few spots of color print damage and one long shot where the color is obviously out of registration.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #111 on: August 24, 2005, 01:58:27 PM »

Yes, we did do junk food for lunch - Burger King. If I'm going to have  a burger, I like the taste of theirs, so it was fine.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #112 on: August 24, 2005, 02:03:42 PM »

Well, it was really the line she was responding to, one of Helen's many shockers.  That I can't repeat on a family site - but Miss Clark simply said, "Well, dear, anyone who has to talk about it that much isn't getting anything."

Imagining the response is Miss Petula Clark's voice makes me laugh!  ;D
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #113 on: August 24, 2005, 02:04:16 PM »

Imagining the response is Miss Petula Clark's voice makes me laugh!  ;D

Me TOO!!!!!  

Matt H.

« Reply #114 on: August 24, 2005, 02:06:02 PM »

Back to THE BARKLEYS OF BROADWAY again. It's easy to see that this was a follow-up to the successful Garland-Astaire teaming of EASTER PARADE. "My One and Only Highland Fling" is such a rip-off of "A Couple of Swells."

I don't think Judy Garland lasted long enough during the production process to have filmed anything for the film proper, but her costumes were made and fitted, and I wonder if any of her wardrobe tests (stills or footage) still exist? That would have made a much more interesting special feature than some of what is offered on the disc.

And did Irene design Ginger's dresses totally differently from the designs for Judy, or were Judy's designs simply rebuilt for Ginger? There is that one famous photo in the Freed Unit book that shows Judy visiting the set in one of her BARKLEYS costumes after she had been replaced while Oscar Levant looks on.

Matt H.

« Reply #115 on: August 24, 2005, 02:09:43 PM »

Next week, Fox issues that Shirley Temple boxed set with LITTLE MISS BROADWAY, CURLY TOP, and HEIDI in it. Interestingly, you can buy LITTLE MISS BROADWAY and CURLY TOP separately but not HEIDI (it was released in a separate DVD a few years ago which I have, but it seems to be out of print now). The price of the two separate discs is about the same price as the boxed set of three films.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #116 on: August 24, 2005, 02:10:56 PM »

DR JRand -- are you familiar with a production of "Plain and Fancy" being done in or near Nappanee?

Why yes I am, DRRLP.  It is at Amish Acres, in Nappanee at the Round Barn Theatre (as opposed to my Hazel Day Longden Theatre on Round Barn Road in Greencastle).  

At Napannee they do shows nine months out of the year and PLAIN AND FANCY runs in repertory with the others in the season.  When a new show is rehearsing, P/F is up.  You can see it from May to October on different dates and weekends.  8)

http://www.amishacres.com/aa_musical_theatre/musical_theatre.htm

It's a great space.  I have only been there once, to see something OTHER than P/F....but if you're traveling back through Indiana, it might be a fun place to visit!  8)
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jason

« Reply #117 on: August 24, 2005, 02:12:37 PM »

My roommate spent last year at Round Barn in Nappannee...and DR Jose spent a summer there a few years back. Oh, the stories they have to tell. I actually visited Jenn when she was up there last August. It's beautiful, but I can't imagine living there year-round.

Matt H.

« Reply #118 on: August 24, 2005, 02:14:16 PM »

Other than the Temple films, I didn't see much of interest being released on DVD next week. Well, I liked HOUSE very much during the season, but I haven't been watching the reruns, and I don't think they are episodes I will want to revisit. HOUSE is available next week. Ditto NIP/TUCK.

I didn't see SAHARA at the movies (can't stand Penelope Cruz), but it's coming out next week also.

Matt H.

« Reply #119 on: August 24, 2005, 02:16:56 PM »

I am finally going to get to see TWO WOMEN. It's coming on TCM at some point tonight/early morning tomorrow, and I have the DVR set to record it.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up