Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: THE LIKES OF ME  (Read 24672 times)

MBarnum

Re: THE LIKES OF ME
« Reply #90 on: February 16, 2009, 11:00:30 AM »

Well, when you GET to LA, dear reader Jeanne, then we'll do Indian food.

Well, I guess I am just chopped liver.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #91 on: February 16, 2009, 11:03:20 AM »

I shall now be on my way to the editing room.  I'm running late because I was waiting to see if the rain would stop, but it's really coming down - problem is my umbrella is in the car.  Oh, well.

FJL

« Reply #92 on: February 16, 2009, 11:04:39 AM »

Page 4 MISS SADA THOMPSON Rain Dance

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuOufFsimdY

(the second opening credits from the show FAMILY; Sada seems to be trying not to look at the camera, but stellar as always)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #93 on: February 16, 2009, 11:07:05 AM »

Well, when you GET to LA, dear reader Jeanne, then we'll do Indian food.

Well, I guess I am just chopped liver.

But of the finest quality, I am sure.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #94 on: February 16, 2009, 11:07:41 AM »

Any HHW reviewers finished with their Criterion RICHARD III disks......or were those left to others.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

FJL

« Reply #95 on: February 16, 2009, 11:10:12 AM »

(an old Yeshivah of Flatbush song about FAMILY)

Nothin' could be keena than to be in Pasadena Tuesday evening
Teardrops by the torrents with the fam'ly known as Lawrence Tuesday evening
Once I thought that Aaron Spelling's series were foul
Then I saw Gary Frank in a towel
Oh, nothin' could be keena than to be in Pasadena Tuesday evening

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #96 on: February 16, 2009, 11:11:09 AM »

Tax season proceeds apace.

Completed two returns from yesterday which had "open items." 

I also got a draft to the client of the extremely involved return with the foreign subsidiaries (each of which needed their own return) - I'm sure the client is out today because of the holiday, but at least it'll be waiting for them when they get in tomorrow and they'll have plenty of time to look it over at their convenience.

Hey, FJL, can you clarify something for us?  Betsy has an S125 plan, so on her W2 her total wages are more than her taxable wages.  Which do we report--the total or the taxable?
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Laura

« Reply #97 on: February 16, 2009, 11:14:38 AM »

Just send in all the money, JMK.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

FJL

« Reply #98 on: February 16, 2009, 11:20:55 AM »

JMK- If you mean that box 3 or box 5 on the W-2 (social security and Medicare wages) are greater than box 1, then on the 1040, you still report the amount that's in box 1 on the wages line.

I don't know the local rules, but in some states the 125 plan can be an addback on the state return.  State (box 16) wages can often be a different (higher than Federal) number entirely.

Kerry

« Reply #99 on: February 16, 2009, 11:22:25 AM »

TOD:

Bruce, stick with salads.  And hummus.
I like boat races.

JMK

« Reply #100 on: February 16, 2009, 11:25:23 AM »

JMK- If you mean that box 3 or box 5 on the W-2 (social security and Medicare wages) are greater than box 1, then on the 1040, you still report the amount that's in box 1 on the wages line.

I don't know the local rules, but in some states the 125 plan can be an addback on the state return.  State (box 16) wages can often be a different (higher than Federal) number entirely.

Thanks--that's exactly what I meant.  I'll expect your consultation fee to be both exorbitant and tax deductible.  :)

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

« Reply #101 on: February 16, 2009, 11:26:17 AM »

We did go into a bit of a panic when our original tally of my Farmer expenditures were added until we noticed I had receipts going back to 2006 in the file for some stupid reason.

Kerry

« Reply #102 on: February 16, 2009, 11:28:56 AM »

BK, I love both Indian and Greek food, so if you can wait to sample them I will happily take you to both upon my visit to LA in April.

If you can't wait, I recommend finding a good Indian place that serves buffet style for lunch, this way you can sample each item and decide what you like and don't like and then you can go back for more of what you do like. Some Indian food is spicy but not all...Butter Chicken is a good choice...it is more on the sweet side. Some Indian foods will taste totally different then what they look like they will taste...so sample away!

Greek food: Some of my friends think Greek food is bland. I love it. Stuffed grape leaves are very tasty. Again the flavors can vary...some you may love, and some you may not.

Again, I would love to treat you to lunches at both types of restaurants, so don't hate it before I get there!

What is Butter Chicken?

Most of experiences with Greek and Indian foods have been less than stellar.  I'm not fond of lamb, but I do like Feta Cheese.
I like boat races.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #103 on: February 16, 2009, 11:29:53 AM »

On TV Tonight!™

CBS - WORST WEEK
ABC - THE BACHELOR, TRUE BEAUTY
NBC - CHUCK, HEROES, MEDIUM
FOX - HOUSE, '24'
TNT - THE CLOSER, TRUST ME

LOL!  Love the trademark, DRMattH!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #104 on: February 16, 2009, 11:31:19 AM »

Well, the stump was ground up in record time--it took the guy a little over an hour to do the job.  I was worried last week that this would not get accomplished at all--when public services came by last week to mark out where the underground lines layed, they marked a blue line across the stump, indicating the water line.  I had to go back and forth on the phone a number of times during the week to find out how deep the line was beneath the ground and that the service valve was out of the way before convincing the stump grinder guy that it would be okay to do his work.  But the job is now done and I have to figure out what to do with the pile of wood chips.  I dont like using this stuff for mulch--it's really not a good quality.  My brother-in-law might come by later today to see if he wants to use it around his swimming pool.

A little over an hour!  I admire your endurance.

I'm simply relieved that the process being described wasn't a "euphemism".
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #105 on: February 16, 2009, 11:37:07 AM »

TOD:

I love Greek food.  But, as with all things, some Greek restaurants do it right and some don't.  I love feta cheese on salads and in special dishes.  I love lamb cooked on a spit and shaved for serving in souvlaki.  I never had lamb chops until a few years ago, but I knew "mutton".  Mutton is vomit-inducing (to me).  The lamb chops prepared  at Angela's Restaurant in Alameda are molto delicioso!

I'm quite fond of Indian foods as well.  One of my co-workers is Indian and she's a good cook.  She brings in stuff from time to time. We've yet to find a local restaurant that does Indian food that meets her standards, however.  She knows  some near her home, but that is too far for us to go for a staff luncheon.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #106 on: February 16, 2009, 11:39:00 AM »

I shall now be on my way to the editing room.  I'm running late because I was waiting to see if the rain would stop, but it's really coming down - problem is my umbrella is in the car.  Oh, well.

No garage?

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #107 on: February 16, 2009, 11:42:46 AM »

Good Afternoon!

Well, a friend wanted to meet up at the local Starbucks a little while ago, so I went...  Good times.

Then once I got home, I decided to take care of some cleaning in the kitchen and the bathroom and the bedroom... Again, good times.  ;)

And now I'm about to head out to meet up with some friends and folks at the Fifth Ave. Apple Store.  And, yes, good times should ensue.
Make Your Own Luck.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #108 on: February 16, 2009, 11:43:45 AM »

I rather enjoyed "Desperate Housewives" last night.  I can understand why others might not, though.  Every story had some ugliness in it....Susan's insane jealousy (and a rather inexplicable ugliness toward her friend, Katherine); Tom's near-insane meltdown that left what will be a lifetime scar on his relationship with his son's; and Gaby's semi-blackmail of Carlos' boss and the insincerity of their relationship with the boss' wife and future baby; and Orson's pathetic hacking of Brie's computer to learn what Andrew's salary is...very disturbing and unsettling.

Still....it opens up quite a nest of future conflict that can lead practically anywhere.

I HATED "Brothers and Sisters".  Hated it,  hated it, hated it.   These people are NUTZ!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #109 on: February 16, 2009, 11:45:06 AM »

I woke up one hour ago.

I got out of bed and scratched my butt.

I then took my daily meds and headed for the kitchen to make coffee.

Life is good.  The coffee is good.

The SciFi Channel's airing of episodes of "Dead Like Me" is audible in the background.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #110 on: February 16, 2009, 11:47:37 AM »

DR Laura - I thought you might appreciate this "Tweet" that just came up.  It's from Amanda Hesser who used to write the Food column for The New York Times Magazine.  She's no longer with the Times on a full-time basis, but still contributes regularly.  In any case...

"Here's my tried and true recipe for burnt toast. I like the broiler method: turn on flame, lay innocent bread in toasting range, walk away."
Make Your Own Luck.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #111 on: February 16, 2009, 11:51:33 AM »

I watched "Rome Adventure" last night.  Overall, this film looks wonderful.  The scenery is gorgeous as is Max Steiner's score.  The colors look bright and natural on my TV setup.  I wish there were more of a "tour of Rome" than we got just because my first trip to Rome was 13 years after this film was made and I'd have loved seeing what was considered "touristy" back then. 

The story isn't bad, but some of the lines and acting are.

Some of the more intimate scenes were banal. 

But I still love the bit with the brass candlestick (!).  I'd call that a candelabra because it held three candles.  But to port it across and Italy and back to the U.S. because it's a mark of "Don Porter's" (Troy Donahue's) "integrity" is gleeful fun for me.

Who else here remembers Don Porter, the actor?  My fondest memories of him are from his stint on "Private Secretary" with Ann Sothern and as Gidget's father on the TV series.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2009, 11:53:45 AM by Ron Pulliam »

Laura

« Reply #112 on: February 16, 2009, 11:51:53 AM »

That's even easier than my recipe: put bread in toaster. When it pops up, push it back down. Repeat.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #113 on: February 16, 2009, 11:54:21 AM »

I should get back to SciFi channel (or "Parrish", I haven't decided) and my coffee.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #114 on: February 16, 2009, 11:55:05 AM »

And not that DR SWW needs any more culinary "advice" or "musings" right now, but...

There have been some recent additions to the Twitter culinary family:

Name (screenname) -If you want to check out their latest "tweets", just enter their screenname after http://twitter.com/

Dave Lieberman (davelieberman)
Amanda Hesser (amandahesser)
Mark Bittman (bittman)
Ruth Reichl (ruthreichl)
Michael Ruhlman (ruhlman)
Richard Blais (richardblais)

Etc., etc., etc...

And most of the major newspaper now Twitter via their Dining & Wine sections.  It's been kind of cool getting previews of some articles and recipes days before they appear in print or officially on-line.  It's also been reading how they recommend recipes and restaurants to each other.
Make Your Own Luck.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #115 on: February 16, 2009, 11:55:15 AM »

I'm thinking of having some spaghetti for lunch.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #116 on: February 16, 2009, 11:55:28 AM »

That's even easier than my recipe: put bread in toaster. When it pops up, push it back down. Repeat.

I think I'll send that one in to Amanda. ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #117 on: February 16, 2009, 11:55:56 AM »

This is the last day of my 5-day weekend.  Sigh. 

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #118 on: February 16, 2009, 11:59:21 AM »

And here is a link to an article from Consumerist.com concerning Facebook's latest "Terms of Service".  It's been causing quite a bit of "noise" and "chatter" on the web this morning.  I know some people who have already modified their Facebook profiles and accounts accordingly. -And, yes, some legal challenges are already in the works.

Facebook's New Terms Of Service: "We Can Do Anything We Want With Your Content. Forever."
Make Your Own Luck.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #119 on: February 16, 2009, 11:59:32 AM »

On my day off... I am watching ATWT...

I suspect that the cast had way too much fun...  Today's episode was fun...

Spoiler below!!

adkfjaopeiu tpaweioukdnkadht Gotta lajkdfpaeiuroweur love adkhaoeuiroeiwu a lajkdfaopewiruowepur story jfaodfjaoweiur about kaldjfoaieuroewiur Cinderfella! akdjfaoeif
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10   Go Up