Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Down

Author Topic: CLEAN AS A WHISTLE  (Read 21231 times)

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
Re:CLEAN AS A WHISTLE
« Reply #210 on: February 12, 2006, 07:17:13 PM »

I would like to know the following: Where did Psycho play in its first run on Hollywood Blvd. and where did The Magnificent Seven play in its first run on Hollywood Blvd.  Or, even better, what was playing at the Vogue Theater anytime between April and September of 1960.

So far a goose egg.... NDSU only subscribes to the Theater Times Database for the Upper Midwest and Northeast and that has a historical database that shows theater premieres...

WE have hte LA times Index and WHEN my errant student worker shows up, I will go down and have a peak... :-)
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #211 on: February 12, 2006, 07:17:48 PM »

Other movies that would work and that were playing somewhere on Hollywood Blvd between those dates: Village of the Damned, The Time Machine, Inherit The Wind, Midnight Lace, Portrait in Black, High Time or Pollyanna.  Just need to know what theater they were in - extra points for the Vogue.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #212 on: February 12, 2006, 07:19:12 PM »

Here is a website I came across

http://www.cinematreasures.org/theater/496/
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #213 on: February 12, 2006, 07:24:27 PM »

still waiting for student worker...... I am in circ and the possible other lead is in reference.....

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #214 on: February 12, 2006, 07:31:50 PM »

Philip Carey.... I like him as an actor....

Yeah. He's solid.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #215 on: February 12, 2006, 07:32:06 PM »

We only have LAT index going back to 1980....

I am surprised we dont have it before that. WE have Mpls Star-Tribune going back to the 1800s and the same with NY Times.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #216 on: February 12, 2006, 07:36:58 PM »

Off to check UND....

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #217 on: February 12, 2006, 07:52:05 PM »

There's a full moon tonight.  With the snow, it's so bright outside that I can see a glow coming through the drapes.  

Has there ever been a werewolf in the snow movie?
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #218 on: February 12, 2006, 07:55:21 PM »

Off to check UND....

...erwear?  Blue plaid boxers here.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #219 on: February 12, 2006, 08:08:22 PM »

I began the evening with BREAKFAST AT TIFFANY'S, the original DVD release. Grain or not, I like it, and I'm keeping this one. Though I admit I watch it fairly often, I like the way this looks and sounds.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #220 on: February 12, 2006, 08:08:52 PM »

There's a full moon tonight.  With the snow, it's so bright outside that I can see a glow coming through the drapes.  

Has there ever been a werewolf in the snow movie?

HOWLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #221 on: February 12, 2006, 08:09:35 PM »

...erwear?  Blue plaid boxers here.

LOL DAN!!!

NO it is the abbreviation for the University of North Dakota

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #222 on: February 12, 2006, 08:10:12 PM »

I began the evening with BREAKFAST AT TIFFANY'S, the original DVD release. Grain or not, I like it, and I'm keeping this one. Though I admit I watch it fairly often, I like the way this looks and sounds.

I love that movie.... Great writing and great acting

Matt H.

« Reply #223 on: February 12, 2006, 08:10:37 PM »

I talked to the fella tonight at the time COLD CASE was playing, so I set the DVR to record it, and watched it later in the evening. The fella is still nursing a cold though it's in the final stages. Should be fine in another day or two. Thankfully, I felt better today, too, so we should be able to get together at some point this week. Not sure if Valentine's Day is going to be possible, but we'll see.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #224 on: February 12, 2006, 08:11:25 PM »

We've gotten snow the past week here in Georgetown, Kentucky.  It snows through the day or night, is all billowy white in the morning and then is pretty much gone by late afternoon...at least on the drives and the streets.  Best kind; looks pretty and then is outta here.

Matt H.

« Reply #225 on: February 12, 2006, 08:13:50 PM »

I love that movie.... Great writing and great acting

I agree. One of the greats, and it amazes me that the movie won its only awards for the music (which is brilliant) while the direction, performances, writing, and photography won nothing. Just the delightful walk around the five and dime was worth SOMETHING!

Matt H.

« Reply #226 on: February 12, 2006, 08:15:01 PM »

COLD CASE had a rerun tonight which I hadn't seen, a moving story with a very surprising murderer.

FJL

« Reply #227 on: February 12, 2006, 08:16:04 PM »

Dan - There is the famous medley:

Where tree-tops glisten
And children listen
To hear werewolves in the snow...

Werewolves in the snow
Exchanging glances
Werewolves in the snow
Exchanging glances

So if anyone makes that movie, there is a ready made theme song.

Matt H.

« Reply #228 on: February 12, 2006, 08:16:10 PM »

And DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES, well, good and bad. More about that tomorrow after others have weighed in.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #229 on: February 12, 2006, 08:23:10 PM »

Good Evening!

WHEW!

Nothing like a snow day to help one be productive!  Let's see...

-I got all but two boxes/piles of "Nick stuff" put away and/or hidden.
-I set up my IKEA shelving in my room.  And now I have so much more room in my room.
-I went ahead and dug out my car.  Since it was powdery snow, it was not that difficult a task.  *And it felt great to get out of the apartment for a while.
-I went to Pathmark to buy vacuum cleaner bags and recycling "trash" bags.
-I went to the Chinese place around the corner and picked up some dinner - the Hot & Spicy Chicken Combo (comes with an egg roll and pork fried rice) and Hot & Sour Soup.
-I ate my dinner.  :)
-I vacuumed the living room.
-And I just started a load of laundry.

So, as far as getting my room set up, I just have to transfer the contents of one my storage bins to the dresser, and then put the rest of the "Nick stuff" away.  *Even my roomies were amazed at how much stuff I got done in there today.

Oh...

-And I caught up on the rest of the posts so far today.

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #230 on: February 12, 2006, 08:25:06 PM »

...And I was just chatting with a friend of mine who works behind the scenes at Encores!, and it's looking like this past weekend's presentation of Kismet may have been their highest attended and highest grossing show in the Encore's series so far.  -And they had another quite full house today with just a few cancellations due to the weather.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #231 on: February 12, 2006, 08:26:18 PM »

...And while walking around my neighborhood earlier, a very wonderful thought kept running through my head:  There's no other place I'd rather be right now than here in New York City.

:)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #232 on: February 12, 2006, 08:26:50 PM »

Well, time to attend to the laundry, and take a nice, long, hot shower...

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #233 on: February 12, 2006, 08:35:28 PM »

I am delighted KISMET has done so well, but I'm surprised attendance wasn't adversely affected by the weather. Way to go!

Matt H.

« Reply #234 on: February 12, 2006, 08:38:46 PM »

DR JRand, you posted early this morning about Ann Blyth in KISMET and seemed to have a bit of doubt that it was her real singing voice used on the soundtrack. Yes, she really did have that soprano voice. I remember seeing her sing on variety shows like Red Skeleton, so it was Ann doing her own singing in KISMET and ROSE MARIE. She was dubbed for some mysterious reason by Gogi Grant for THE HELEN MORGAN STORY, but the credits clearly identified that it was Gogi doing the singing there, one of the few times a dubber got screen credit.

Matt H.

« Reply #235 on: February 12, 2006, 08:40:35 PM »

Added another film to the DVR today: THE UPSIDE OF ANGER with Joan Allen and Kevin Costner. This movie got good reviews especially for the two leads (surprising in Costner's case), so I'm looking forward to seeing it.

Matt H.

« Reply #236 on: February 12, 2006, 08:42:33 PM »

Guess I'll be heading down to bed now.

Good night, everyone!

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #237 on: February 12, 2006, 08:46:42 PM »

Other movies that would work and that were playing somewhere on Hollywood Blvd between those dates: Village of the Damned, The Time Machine, Inherit The Wind, Midnight Lace, Portrait in Black, High Time or Pollyanna.  Just need to know what theater they were in - extra points for the Vogue.

Well, BK, I don't suppose it does you any good to know where THE TIME MACHINE played in Redondo Beach back in 1960; but I believe it was The Strand.

« Last Edit: February 12, 2006, 08:49:08 PM by TCB »
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

MBarnum

« Reply #238 on: February 12, 2006, 09:06:01 PM »

For the DRs who picked up that 50 DVD pack of movie musicals awhile back, there is another nifty one out now called DARK CRIMES...50 vintage film noir, mystery, and thrillers on DVD...some basic titles like STRANGE LOVE OF MARTHA IVERS and DOA, but most are ones I have never heard of...THE CAPTURE with Lew Ayres, THE LIMPING MAN with Lloyd Bridges, PLEASE MURDER ME with Raymond Burr and Angela Lansbury, THE WRONG ROAD with Helen Mack...just a nice assortment of films from the early 30s up through the 1950s...a couple of them are British films and a few are actually episodes the live TV program STUDIO ONE...I just watched one episode which starred Robert Sterling. Fun.

I got all 50 movies for just $22.99.

MBarnum

« Reply #239 on: February 12, 2006, 09:08:39 PM »

Here is the link where you can see the entire list of titles. You can click on each title for more info...

http://206.191.17.254/ViewProductDetails.asp?productid=16
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Up