Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: DO I HEAR AN ANNIVERSARY WALTZ?  (Read 28161 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:DO I HEAR AN ANNIVERSARY WALTZ?
« Reply #120 on: November 09, 2003, 01:54:59 PM »

DR Noel, you are exactly right. THE BOYS IN THE BAND was advertised with exactly that catch phrase. It didn't help to make it a hit at the box-office, but it certainly was a different way to advertise a controversial film.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #121 on: November 09, 2003, 01:55:56 PM »

LOL...Fashions by Junior House of Milwaukee!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #122 on: November 09, 2003, 02:00:18 PM »

Andrea:  I am so glad you are amused!

Levels of Membership:  Br. Mark Bakalor did not say what the levels above Sr. Member are.

I'm guessing it is something we shall have to strive to learn for ourselves.

Are we experiencing a small lull/letdown/laxity?

I spoke with my mother for about an hour and when I returned, we were still on page 4 and only five or six new posts had appeared.

Is it time to SPIKE THE PUNCH???????

MBarnum

« Reply #123 on: November 09, 2003, 02:01:47 PM »

JRand, that is the loveliest picture of Gale Storm that I have ever seen! She is adorable!

And I must, must, must (that is 3 musts) get Jacques Bergerac's book! I adore him too...hubba, hubba! I wonder if the needs to do an interview to get the word out about his autobiography?? Hmmmm...where to find that man!

...on to the next post...

Matt H.

« Reply #124 on: November 09, 2003, 02:03:21 PM »

I, too, loved Gale Storm. OH, SUSANNAH was a Saturday night MUST around my house. Years later, I got so see some MY LITTLE MARGIEs in syndication, but I was too young to have seen that show when it was first broadcast.

Jed

« Reply #125 on: November 09, 2003, 02:04:25 PM »

My my my (that is 3 my's), what a lively and sparkling anniversay soiree we are having!

As I mentioned later on last night, I've been around here since very near the beginning.  I was a faithful reader of The Real A, and later found BK's musings at some site which shall not be named.  I found this site from an ad at sondheim.com just about a week or so after HHW was created, and started posting a couple weeks later (a check of the archives tells me my first post was 12/4/01).

I've so enjoyed the two years here that it's a bit difficult picking out specific highlights.  I greatly enjoyed hearing about the whole process of putting together the The First Nudie Musical DVD, as well as the Kritzer trilogy.  What If's, both by BK and other DR's, always bring a smile to my face.  The day that BK had us write the notes for him using "the style" was uproarious fun.  And it's hard to beat a lively and sparkling live chat with the HHW crowd, and I fondly recall a number of times hanging around after most of the chatters had left and just shooting the breeze with DR Laura.

Only 4 hours to anniversary chat!
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Tomovoz

« Reply #126 on: November 09, 2003, 02:04:55 PM »

I though I heard someone knocking but it was a dark moon so I did't notice it was Gale Storm. Memories are made of photos like this. Thanks Jack.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

MBarnum

« Reply #127 on: November 09, 2003, 02:06:42 PM »

A VERY HAPPY DAY TO ALL HHW
DRs PAST AND PRESENT
![/color]

I discovered HHW for myself by way of the wonderful
JRand53, one of the nicest people I have had the pleasure of meeting via the
internet! Lovely Den Mother also directed
 me to this here sight so
eventually I decided to join you all...and it has been great fun! I have learned
lots about the stage and plays and things I was not knowledgeable about. Learned
of new singers and movies I would never have come across (if it weren't for BK
and JRand53 I wouldn't be the Bollywood addict that I am
today)

So, glad to be a part of this here sight and to have met
all you wonderful DRs! Hope to see you all here at the 3rd, 4th, 5th, ....and
50th anniversaries
« Last Edit: November 09, 2003, 02:08:59 PM by MBarnum »

Jed

« Reply #128 on: November 09, 2003, 02:07:49 PM »

Levels of Membership:  Br. Mark Bakalor did not say what the levels above Sr. Member are.

Ron - I believe that if you re-read that post on the Tech board, you will find that the 6th and 7th membership levels are the "Global Moderator" and "Administrator" levels reserved for the types of BK, Mr. Mark Bakalor, and Craig.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2003, 02:09:39 PM by Jed »

MusicGuy

• ...at an audition to accompany Guy Haines...
« Reply #129 on: November 09, 2003, 02:14:32 PM »

Dear Jrand --

Oh YEA !!!!   ;D ;) ::)  :D

THis really is the most popular site on all of the internet, when even the ever-perky Ms. Storm deigns to bestow her cute little punim on these pages.

But I just know that she has to hurry over to Mrs. Odets apartment to discuss what to do about Freddie.  [..cue the bubbly woodwinds, and pizzicato strings..]

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #130 on: November 09, 2003, 02:16:55 PM »

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

MattH: I'm not sure how old I was when my father bought our first TV set.  I know it was sometimes at our house and sometimes at his gas station, but it ultimately returned to our house.

I watched "My Little Margie" on TV in the early 50s.  I was 4 when the series started and I was 7 when it ended in 1955.  I'm sure I saw the show at some time in between and Gale was also on the radio at that time and a recording artist.

I'm not sure "MLM" was available to me very much after that.  It seems like eons since I last saw an episode.  I guess I missed out on its revivals over the years.

« Last Edit: November 09, 2003, 02:18:39 PM by Ron Pulliam »

Matt H.

« Reply #131 on: November 09, 2003, 02:17:53 PM »

I spent part of this afternoon watching MEET ME IN ST. LOUIS on laserdisc for the millionth time. Oh, there are so many moments in that film that are so warm, loving, and memorable. I guess all the warmth and loving feelings flowing here today put me in the mood to experience something like that when I wasn't on-line.

If you haven't seen it lately, I urge you to rediscover it.

Andrea

« Reply #132 on: November 09, 2003, 02:19:27 PM »

Is it time to SPIKE THE PUNCH???????

For the sake of my studying... stop the funnies!

Danise

« Reply #133 on: November 09, 2003, 02:23:05 PM »

What a nasty day.  It’s not raining but the wind is blowing hard in the trees and temperature is turning cooler.  I know your Northerners will laugh but we’re down to 70 degrees. Considering we were in the 80's yesterday, that’s quite a drop.

On a day like today, I broke out the DVD of Errol Flynn’s “Robin Hood” to enjoy.  I also ate a pomegranate. I fear I had more then the six of myth.  

As far as how I came to the site, well, let’s just say I lurked for a LONG time not sure if I should say something or not.  

I am going to try to make the chat–not sure how long I’ll stay.  I had planned on staying the whole time since I have tomorrow off but I had one of my attacks last night and was up most of the night.  

In the meantime let's party!

D
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Matt H.

« Reply #134 on: November 09, 2003, 02:23:52 PM »

DR Ron, one of the local stations here played MY LITTLE MARGIE reruns in late afternoon hours before the local news. Then, in the late 60s, early 70s, a local CBS station started featuring old black and white TV episodes on Friday nights after the local news since CBS had no late night variety show then. MY LITTLE MARGIE was one that seemed to be asked for a lot, so I saw probably a dozen episodes of it along with old OUR MISS BROOKS, DECEMBER BRIDE, I MARRIED JOAN, BURNS AND ALLEN, and THE JACK BENNY PROGRAM. Once they had run those into the ground, they started showing old serials like FLASH GORDON which also took off in the ratings. Amazing what they used to show, all this eons before TV LAND.

MusicGuy

• ...at an audition to accompany Guy Haines...
« Reply #135 on: November 09, 2003, 02:29:02 PM »

Well DRs, persons (how very P.C. is that..) do not live by ham chunks alone, and so I have just finished making a big pot of red pasta sauce (or "gravy" as my Italian friends call it) with ground round, sweet Italian sausage, and diced left-over pork loin.  It smells tres yummy, and DR Kerry and I shall stuff our greedy gobs with it later this evening.

I'm going to catch a concert by a young musician that I have wanted to hear, at 4:00 this afternoon (our time).  I should have no trouble saying a Hale and Hearty (or Alan and Matthew) hello and mazel tov at the live chat this evening.

My only problem with live chat is I'm a REALLY crappy typist, and I get bogged down from the speed with which everything proceeds.

8)

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #136 on: November 09, 2003, 02:31:28 PM »

Ron - I believe that if you re-read that post on the Tech board, you will find that the 6th and 7th membership levels are the "Global Moderator" and "Administrator" levels reserved for the types of BK, Mr. Mark Bakalor, and Craig.

Jed and other DRs:  This is what Br. Bakalor said:

Membership Levels:
"There are seven different levels of community membership. Each of these levels is signified by the number of stars next to their name in posts.

"When a member first registers they are a "Newbie" and show one star. When a user has contributed at least 50 posts to the forums they are then "Full Members" with two stars. The same progression continues with more than 250 posts and 500 posts.

"Forum administrators and moderators are signified by their different star ratings, as well. The number of posts required and the naming of each membership level can change. "

There seems to be a separation between "levels of community membership", which Br. Bakalor says are seven, and the star ratings of forum administrators and moderators.  I do notice, however, that Br. Mark does not signify there's anything beyond 500 posts, and it would be "unseemly" to generate more stars for community than for administrators/moderators.

But there could be different colors (as eBay has for their buyers and sellers) and maybe something other than stars beyond level 6.

I guess someone will find out all the levels and let us know definitively...but it seems to me that it might be more fun to wait and find out.

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #137 on: November 09, 2003, 02:37:21 PM »

DR Ron, one of the local stations here played MY LITTLE MARGIE reruns in late afternoon hours before the local news. Then, in the late 60s, early 70s, a local CBS station started featuring old black and white TV episodes on Friday nights after the local news since CBS had no late night variety show then. MY LITTLE MARGIE was one that seemed to be asked for a lot, so I saw probably a dozen episodes of it along with old OUR MISS BROOKS, DECEMBER BRIDE, I MARRIED JOAN, BURNS AND ALLEN, and THE JACK BENNY PROGRAM. Once they had run those into the ground, they started showing old serials like FLASH GORDON which also took off in the ratings. Amazing what they used to show, all this eons before TV LAND.

All those show were part of my youth...and Pinky Lee, and People's Choice and December Bride!!!!

I loved "People's Choice" with Cleo the Bassett Hound making little comments every now and then.  And "December Bride" was fun, as was its spinoff, "Pete and Gladys" with Harry Williams reprising his "Pete" role and Cara Williams giving form to the never-seen-on-"December Bride" character of "Gladys".

And, ohmigosh, I was NUTZ about Joan Davis!!!!

I also had some un-PC favorites -- "Beulah" and "Amos 'n' Andy"!

And of course, there was "I Love Lucy" which was a primetime phemomenon through my formative years!  (I blame Ethel for everything!!!)

MrMarkBakalor

« Reply #138 on: November 09, 2003, 02:38:03 PM »

My free-for-all question is:  what is the "Privacy Report" subscript that appears here now before a page loads?  I've never seen it on any other site.

There is no such file sent from HainesHisWay. Perhaps this is related to some software you have running locally on your machine such as a virus detector (though I have no idea why it would go off only on haineshisway.com pages).

Is this something that has been happening to you for months or perhaps just in the last few days? If so, it might have something to do with the new webhost.

Do you get this "report" when trying to access ANY page at this site. For instance, do you get it when loading a journal entry page or the radio show page, or Juliana's Journal page, etc.?

The more info you can offer the better chance we have of understanding what's going on. That said, it's pretty safe to say that this is not coming from HainesHisWay and is probably something happening locally on your machine in response to something of which I do not know.  :)

Tomovoz

« Reply #139 on: November 09, 2003, 02:39:00 PM »

DR Kerry & other interested readers:I have just received a catalogue (and I wrote earlier that this was a cat free environment) from Dress Circle in London which lists a Pal format video of Anna Russell (CBC archives Toronto). "Never before available". Very expensive but some of you DRs may be interested "The Clown Princess Of Comedy".
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #140 on: November 09, 2003, 02:43:47 PM »

DR Ann "shared" with us:

"I was hit with the flu.  I found myself in a groccery store parking lot, unable to do anything but run for the bushes every few minutes...sometimes not making it.  After three hours of this, it was now dark and very cold, my wonderful friends drove over and rescued me, brought me home, and left me to my misery, which lasted until about 4 am.  I'm happy to report that water and saltines now stay down..gonna try soup next..."

Thanks, so much, for sharing this in such detail.

"I shall enjoy leftovers tomorrow :)"

Oh, sweetie, I sincerely hope not.   :-\  All of yesterday's leftovers are in the bushes today.

Get plenty of rest and try to get well.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2003, 03:12:14 PM by Ron Pulliam »

Jed

« Reply #141 on: November 09, 2003, 02:44:04 PM »

I guess someone will find out all the levels and let us know definitively...but it seems to me that it might be more fun to wait and find out.

Agreed... and with the numbers some of you folks rack up, we may well find out by week's end!  :D

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #142 on: November 09, 2003, 02:48:22 PM »

What are you saying, DR Jed?  What's your point huh?  Huh? HUH?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #143 on: November 09, 2003, 02:49:48 PM »

DR Ron - I think there is a DVD set of My Little Margie episodes, although Oh!Susanna! is only available from private collectors.

I have MLM Set 1 on Vhs....is there a particular episode you are fond of?

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #144 on: November 09, 2003, 02:52:30 PM »

DR Ron - I think there is a DVD set of My Little Margie episodes, although Oh!Susanna! is only available from private collectors.

I have MLM Set 1 on Vhs....is there a particular episode you are fond of?

Jack:  Thanks so much for the thought.  I haven't seen the show since 1960, probably, so I don't know from episodes!!!

I loved "Oh! Susannah!"  It deserves to be seen for Zasu Pitts alone!!!

Maya

• I've always wanted to see the lights of Broadway..
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #145 on: November 09, 2003, 03:09:14 PM »

BK--I love the idea of a Mary Bond Davis interview!  That woman has some pipes on her.

I don't know from Gale Storm but she certainly is purty!  I guess I'm just an ignorant youngun!  ;)

Jennifer

« Reply #146 on: November 09, 2003, 03:11:06 PM »

BK wrote:
Now, where in tarnation is Swishy Sarah - do you think she got "found out"?  Not like her to miss out on our big celebration

Didn't Laura II come on (or was it Maya) and tell us that Swishy's father found out about her internet sneaking and said he would not look the other way. Then one or the other came on to say Swishy got a B in algebra and was hoping to be back on HHW in a few days. Or am I dreaming this all? :)

Maya

• I've always wanted to see the lights of Broadway..
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #147 on: November 09, 2003, 03:18:04 PM »

Jennifer, I did say that the other day!  She DID get a B, and should be rejoining us soon....I just checked the e-mail she sent me and it should be around the 12th when she's allowed back on.  

She loves her new waitressing job, btw!  Knowing Swishy too, she's raking in the tips!!

Jennifer

« Reply #148 on: November 09, 2003, 03:18:25 PM »

DR Emily wrote:
Jennifer: I never get cool stuff like that in my Publi-Sac.  Although since my little sister is normally the person who goes through the baggie, it's possible she is hoarding all these snacks for herself and then doesn't tell the rest of us.  

I thought everyone gets the same goodies in their publi-sac.  You should check if your sis is hoarding the food. They have been including much more food recently.

It's funny, when i was younger i hated the publi-sac. And now I love it!

Jennifer

« Reply #149 on: November 09, 2003, 03:24:30 PM »

DR RonP wrote:
There are SEVEN LEVELS of MEMBERSHIP.  This according to Br. Mark Bakalor (referencing, again, the imagery of him as Jesuit priest...possibly in charge of discipline at a Jesuit High School).

Moving along, Newbie, Junior Member, Full Member and Senior Member are the first four levels.

In order to reach the 5th Level, one must exceed 500 posts!

Isn't that GREAT?!!  A REASON to LIVE!!!!

RonP not nice to tease me like this :)
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Up