Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: FOR WHOM THE BELLS TOLLED  (Read 35128 times)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
Re:FOR WHOM THE BELLS TOLLED
« Reply #150 on: April 15, 2008, 10:40:11 AM »

I care not what is scheduled for the television tonight.  I shall be at work, after which I shall serve der Brucer some breakfast for dinner.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

singdaw

« Reply #151 on: April 15, 2008, 10:40:34 AM »

THIS sounds like it might be up DR JoseSPiano's alley!

singdaw

« Reply #152 on: April 15, 2008, 10:41:47 AM »

Anyone have some gossip for page six?

Define "good."       8)

FJL

« Reply #153 on: April 15, 2008, 10:42:26 AM »

OMG, that guy looks like a larger John Travolta (a little bit, anyway)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #154 on: April 15, 2008, 10:43:11 AM »

As long as we're pu pu'ing fine dining ...

Does anyone have memories of eating/drinking at an actual Don the Beachcomber's or Trader Vic's?
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

singdaw

« Reply #155 on: April 15, 2008, 10:44:58 AM »

I was very tired last e'en

But were you reticent?   That's what I wanna know!     :)

singdaw

« Reply #156 on: April 15, 2008, 10:45:57 AM »

OMG, that guy looks like a larger John Travolta (a little bit, anyway)

The picture up top, or the one below?   ;)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #157 on: April 15, 2008, 10:49:14 AM »

THIS sounds like it might be up DR JoseSPiano's alley!

I've read it!  It's a very good read, filled with lots of interesting stories and lore, and some good recipes, too.  It's much more than a cookbook - it's the history of the city, and of the immigrants who arrived there.

The cover you're showing, btw, is the paperback - the hardback is Merrick red where the paperback is Taxicab yellow.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #158 on: April 15, 2008, 10:51:17 AM »

***CONTINUED VIBES OF COMFORT***[/size][/color]
to DR elmore3003!![/size][/color]

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%][size=8]~~~DITTO!!~~~[/size][/b][/glow][/move]
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #159 on: April 15, 2008, 10:53:38 AM »

Hello, everyone.

I spent the morning trying to catch up on a lot of little things on my to-do list that have fallen through the cracks repeatedly. That's right, I'm still trying to take care of things I intended to do a few weeks ago.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #160 on: April 15, 2008, 10:56:48 AM »

TOD:

The restaurant that comes to mind for me is one that our LA DRs may recall: Zito's Italian restaurant on Pico Blvd, a couple blocks from Westwood Blvd. Not only did I love their spaghetti, they served a really tangy salad dressing that makes my mouth water right now as I write this! Lots of vinegar! Don't know if the restaurant is still there.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #161 on: April 15, 2008, 10:57:25 AM »

I was hungry to start with and now I'm STARVED!

W try to BBL.

George

« Reply #162 on: April 15, 2008, 11:00:21 AM »

No, your DVD's arrived today.   ;D

Your DVD's what arrived??  No!  It should be "your DVDs arrived"...there should be no " ' ".  They're plural, not possessive.

;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

singdaw

« Reply #163 on: April 15, 2008, 11:00:33 AM »

Hurry back to us, DR Jeanne!   :)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #164 on: April 15, 2008, 11:01:14 AM »

Good Afternoon!

...And my taxes are done!

:)

-And, yes, I'm still smiling!
Make Your Own Luck.

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #165 on: April 15, 2008, 11:01:16 AM »

Does anyone have memories of eating/drinking at an actual Don the Beachcomber's or Trader Vic's?

We ate at Trader Vic's in Palo Alto for Valentine's Day this year.  The service sucked big time, but the cocktail was lovely.  The food was just ok.  

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #166 on: April 15, 2008, 11:05:26 AM »

TOD:  While it was certainly not "elegant" or "fine dining," the earliest eating out experience that I can remember is Farrell's Ice Cream Parlour in Palos Verdes [CA].  I was perhaps 5 or 6, and remember being simply overwhelmed by all the ice cream choices.

Oh, how I miss Farrell's!  When we lived in Seattle, we would go to Farrell's regularly. I loved all of that noise!  -And the ice cream, of course.  When we moved to DC, there was a Farrell's in Tysons Corner, and it was a common place for my friends and family to go and hang out.  -And eat ice cream, of course.  Alas, they started adopting "quiet hours" which sort of spoiled the whole experience.  But when it wasn't "quiet", it was still quite a fun time.  And the number of "birthdays" - real and otherwise - my brothers and I would have there over the years just so that we could be the focus of all the bells and whistles and drum-beating and sirens... :)

If the group was large enough, we would order a Zoo to split.  The one thing I semi-regret was not ordering - and finishing - a Pig's Trough.  And I was also very fond of their Green River fountain drink.
Make Your Own Luck.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #167 on: April 15, 2008, 11:10:11 AM »

I am alternating between yard work and reading.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #168 on: April 15, 2008, 11:10:41 AM »

FJL:
I've been compared to far far worse people than Jane in my day, and to none better than Jane in my estimation.

That is so very sweet, thank you.  

I almost didn't make it to HHW this morning, boy am I glad I didn't miss this :D

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #169 on: April 15, 2008, 11:11:44 AM »

TOD Three:

The first time der Brucer and I hit NYC together, we had tix to see Forum in revival (by that time with David Alan Grier).  Before, der B insisted that we head to the village for dinner, and by chance we were able to get a table at Po, as walk-ins.  It's a tiny place, and usually crammed with reserved tables, so it was a real chance that we were able to get in.

The meal was marvelous.  Batali was experimenting with grains that night, not what one usually thinks of for an Italian restaurant.  But one dish involved bulgar wheat, and there was a totally different grain involved with the main course.  And it was amazing food.

Batali shortly after that moved on to Babbo, and then multiplied like a rabbit to the point that he isn't even in NYC all the time any more.  And the new owners of Po have added a second outpost, in Brooklyn.  And yes, if the opportunity came up, I'd gladly return.

I <heart> Pó.  -And after Batali's departure, they still serve some excellent food at some surprisingly reasonable prices.  It's also just a few doors down from one of my favorite places in the Village, Cornelia Street Cafe.  A cool, little funky place with a nicely varied menu, and they have a small performance space downstairs where they host all sorts of music groups as well as poetry and book readings.  And a great weekend brunch to boot!   And then across the street there's Pearl Oyster bar, home of one of the best, if not The Best, lobster roll in the city.  -Which has led to a few spin-offs and lawsuits in the past year or so.
Make Your Own Luck.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #170 on: April 15, 2008, 11:12:28 AM »

I cannot imagine dining anywhere on Valentine's Day, and getting good service.  It's just not gonna happen - testy customers, swamped kitchens, too much for any server to handle.  If anything, if I were to go out for dinner on that day with der B, it would be so we could sit back and laugh and laugh at all the unhappy people.

Which is why we, instead, dine in on Valentine's Day.  We're too nice to follow the other plan.   ::)

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #171 on: April 15, 2008, 11:14:13 AM »

Matt H:
BONES had a very entertaining and funny outing tonight. Some good looking motorcycle racers were also part of the package, too, though I didn't get the correct murderer.

Thanks to the snow covering our satellite dish, & our delay in discovering it, we missed most of the second half of BONES.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #172 on: April 15, 2008, 11:14:44 AM »

My head is spinning, trying to imagine DR Jose splitting a Zoo with anyone else.

Kidding!   ;)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #173 on: April 15, 2008, 11:15:17 AM »

I spent some time discussing the situation with elmore, and we agreed that the least offensive course of action was to have piano, drums, and reed - that that will at least keep some of the flavor of his orchestration.  It's certainly not optimal, but prerecording at this point isn't an option.  

I've sent e-mails about the instrumentation and I've also asked for all finger pointing to stop - they're upset with me for going to the Festival to vent my frustration, and I certainly was upset about the entire situation, but now it's time to just get it done.  

Ginny

« Reply #174 on: April 15, 2008, 11:15:38 AM »

Back at my desk after a foray near the table where we have tax forms for people to pick up.  There were 5 or 6 guys there trying to figure out which forms they needed and joking about how they'd see each other at the post office later this evening.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #175 on: April 15, 2008, 11:15:39 AM »

I should start getting ready for work.

Hasta la.

George

« Reply #176 on: April 15, 2008, 11:16:32 AM »

I've posted this before, but it's completely appropriate for today:

Evidence has been found that William Tell and his family were avid bowlers. However, all the league records were unfortunately destroyed in a fire. Thus we'll never know for whom the Tells bowled.

:D

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #177 on: April 15, 2008, 11:18:59 AM »

We went once or twice to the one in Washington, DC.  All I remember is their famous Coconut Shrimp and the fancy glasses/canisters/vases for the fancy adult drinks.  I seem to remember there being two Trader Vic's locations in DC, or that it moved to a new location.  But I think at this time, there is no longer a TV in DC.  -And according to their website, that seems to be the case.  The restaurant in the Capital Hilton is now Twigs, not TV's.
Make Your Own Luck.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #178 on: April 15, 2008, 11:19:10 AM »

BK - You could always have one of the newspaper people cross the stage with a sign reading "Insert Second Keyboard Solo Here!"

That is, if you were feeling snarky.

{{{{{{{{BK}}}}}}}}

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #179 on: April 15, 2008, 11:20:32 AM »

bk - Well, since it looks like I'll be out in L.A. the second week of May, how about a second keyboard for a weekend of the run?  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12   Go Up