Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12]   Go Down

Author Topic: FOR WHOM THE BELLS TOLLED  (Read 34327 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:FOR WHOM THE BELLS TOLLED
« Reply #330 on: April 15, 2008, 08:21:10 PM »

AMERICAN IDOL tonight:

The two Davids once again were the highlights of the show. I typically didn't like Jason Castro, still don't get his appeal in terms of talent. I thought all of the girls had problematic performances.

Carly's voice seemed weird tonight as if she were struggling to make it do something. There wasn't any mention of her being under the weather, but I was very unimpressed with her song tonight and fear this may be the end. Syesha also tried to trick up her rendition with all this melisma, but it was VERY off-pitch noodling around with notes and sounded REALLY horrible (and the tape editors used part of it in the wrap-up at the end of the hour. This may be a problem for her, too). I also didn't like Brooke much tonight.

So, Kristy Lee, despite some off pitch notes, actually had the strongest of the four female vocals, a BIG surprise (and the phrasing and sustain on her last notes were superb).

Bottom three: Carly (going home), Syesha, Brooke.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #331 on: April 15, 2008, 08:21:18 PM »

The New York Times Manual of Style and Usage (2002) can KISS MY ASS!

;)

George, I always felt like you did, that the apostrophe didn't belong. Imagine how stunned I was when I first learned that some English teachers were saying it should be used! Then I saw how much deviation there was from one style manual to another. Sigh. At one company where I worked my technical editor and I put together our own style manual, as I felt we needed consistency and, if I was going to hold our writers to a standard, it was only fair to spell out what that standard was. And now, of course, we have the lose/loose, etc problems that were mentioned here. Oy!

My sympathies. And don't get me started on how many nonverbs are now used as verbs. I realize language must evolve, but, but...

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #332 on: April 15, 2008, 08:21:57 PM »

Just go to your "my eBay" page and your won items will be there, and one of the options is "Leave feedback."  eBay will never contact you to leave feedback and few sellers will, either.  It's been my experience that sellers usually want the buyers to leave feedback first, as that indicates receipt of and satisfaction with the item.

Thanks, JMK. I use ebay so infrequently, and rarely win when I do, that I forgot how to leave feedback on my own.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2008, 08:22:14 PM by Edisaurus »
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Matt H.

« Reply #333 on: April 15, 2008, 08:24:48 PM »

Page Twelve Cowardly Lion Dance!!!

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #334 on: April 15, 2008, 08:25:04 PM »

Tumwater sounds like the name A.A. Milne would have given for Winnie the Pooh's favorite watering hole/spa!

;D

Matt H.

« Reply #335 on: April 15, 2008, 08:26:35 PM »

I watched last night's SAMANTHA WHO? to see the sexy Timothy Olyphant and Barry Watson battle for Samantha. They are somewhat similar in facial looks, but I definitely know which one I'd take. At any rate, it was an OK episode.

Edisaurus

« Reply #336 on: April 15, 2008, 08:27:47 PM »

My neighbor came to me tonight and apologized profusely, seems they not only accidentally opened my phone bill, they accidentally paid it too! LOL, I told them I have more bills if they'd like to pay them too

I wish I had neighbors like that!

In my neighborhood, when someone else opens your mail, it is intentional! (Lots of mail theft here.)
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Matt H.

« Reply #337 on: April 15, 2008, 08:28:07 PM »

I ended my evening with tonight's BOSTON LEGAL. I liked the Shirley's father case. The bomb case and the woman suing Jerry couldn't have been less interesting.

Nice to see Daniel Hugh Kelly in a prime time show and away from the delusions of his daytime character.

Edisaurus

« Reply #338 on: April 15, 2008, 08:29:54 PM »

Oh, Cillaliz, your lions reminded me of a pair of gargoyles at the base of some steps in a nearby neighborhood. When you walk past them, their eyes turn red and they growl. I suppose it's supposed to scare people, but the owners only succeeded in bringing more foot traffic by their house!

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #339 on: April 15, 2008, 08:33:29 PM »

My neighbor came to me tonight and apologized profusely, seems they not only accidentally opened my phone bill, they accidentally paid it too! LOL, I told them I have more bills if they'd like to pay them too

Lucky you, Cillaliz! I've had neighbors open my bills, but never pay them. In fact, my neighbors apparently pay at the last minute, which was when I received the bills.  :(   ;)

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #340 on: April 15, 2008, 08:37:44 PM »

Apparently, yes.  Louis said he just pays whatever bills come in the mail and it was there so he paid it.  Pretty funny. At first they were so embarrassed they opened my mail they didn't want me to pay them back.  I will though.

I've often suspected that some people pay bills without looking at them closely. (not me!!) I've had solicitations from charities designed to be bills, presumably hoping that this will happen.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #341 on: April 15, 2008, 08:39:11 PM »

Forgive me for being E & T (easy & trashy)

So that's what "E&T" means!! And all this time I thought...

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #342 on: April 15, 2008, 08:41:03 PM »

Cillaliz, please post your neighbors' address so that we can all mail bills to them.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Matt H.

« Reply #343 on: April 15, 2008, 08:45:57 PM »

I've been meaning to mention that ELI STONE did well in the ratings in its Sunday night slot after DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES, equal to the ratings of the last new episode of BROTHERS & SISTERS before the strike.

I'm feeling slightly encouraged that ABC may give it another season.

Matt H.

« Reply #344 on: April 15, 2008, 08:46:12 PM »

I have some writing to do so I'll get started on that and then head down to bed.

Good night!

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #345 on: April 15, 2008, 08:57:38 PM »

Matt H, the snow interrupted MEDIUM last night & we have no idea how it ended.  Please help.

MEDIUM SPOILER!

We lost our connection just as Joe was talking to Kelly Preston, for the second time, in the restaurant.  Did he tell her he would not accept her terms?  What else happened?  What did the killer really look like & who was the guy in her dreams?

Thank you.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #346 on: April 15, 2008, 09:07:46 PM »

'night again.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #347 on: April 15, 2008, 09:21:06 PM »

The renovations at the store continue.

The latest is a new sign in front.  We are no longer to be known as Super G.  We will henceforth be known as Super Giant.

I am now working at a euphemism.   ::)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #348 on: April 15, 2008, 09:22:24 PM »

And I've got some shut-eye to get before tomorrow.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #349 on: April 15, 2008, 09:58:19 PM »

"FOR WHOM THE BELLES TOLLED"

The story of French capitalists who forced maidens into servitude collecting highway fees.

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #350 on: April 15, 2008, 10:13:48 PM »

And don't get me started on how many nonverbs are now used as verbs.

Does that mean you don't approve of re-gifting?

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #351 on: April 15, 2008, 10:44:36 PM »

Well, unless someone tells me NO!, I think I'm going to get THIS TV. :D

Of all the TVs that I looked at (at Costco and Costco.com), this is the only one that had only one 1-star (negative) review on Amazon.com.  All of the others had several...so it's practically a 5-star rating overall!  Almost the exact same 1-star review is at epinions.com and was posted on the same day.  But the 1-star review was mainly about Best Buy's customer service, not just about the TV crapping out.

Good Choice,George

Thanks.  Costco has this in stock, but my sister's boyfriend went to Circuit City and they have the next generation of this model.  It's about $300 more, but Fry's has this new edition for about the same price as Costco's earlier edition.  I think we'll be planning a field trip for this weekend. :D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #352 on: April 15, 2008, 10:48:35 PM »

Happy new TV buying DR George!

And thank you, Michael!  

I didn't expect to see the "perfect" TV and buy it the moment I saw it, but I certainly want one NOW! ;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #353 on: April 15, 2008, 11:03:34 PM »

Well, I'd like to get to bed early tonight, so I'm doing the Wussburger thing.  Good night, Der Brucer. :)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #354 on: April 15, 2008, 11:12:29 PM »

Back from a meal and a run-through.  The run-through wasn't as good as the night before, but we got through it without too many snafus and tomorrow we'll go back to doing detail work as we're missing one of our leading players.  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12]   Go Up