Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: MELON BALLS  (Read 25773 times)

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
Re:MELON BALLS
« Reply #150 on: April 04, 2005, 02:28:54 PM »

Actually, it's a Sunday in the Park With George reference...you'll understand when you watch it!

Joey, the reference is in the second act...but you must watch the whole thing!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #151 on: April 04, 2005, 02:29:18 PM »

That is a VERY detailed painting, DR George. Most impressive.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Ginny

« Reply #152 on: April 04, 2005, 02:32:21 PM »

Well, I'm very happy.  My Reds came back from a six to four deficeit in the bottom of the ninth with back-to-back home runs to win their opener, seven to six against the New York Mets.

...and, DR Charles Pogue, it's a gloriously sunny Opening Day here in SW Ohio.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #153 on: April 04, 2005, 02:32:57 PM »

DR JANE:I’ve never seen or read Old Yeller but it seems to be interesting and heartwarming. Unfortunately, both the movie and the book are not translated/captioned in Japanese but I’ll try to get it in the near future. Thank you.

Do you need the book or the movie to be translated for you to watch?  Your English seems so good to me.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #154 on: April 04, 2005, 02:34:14 PM »

The commentary on Call Me Madam points out that Ethel Merman's lipsynching (to herself) on Hostess with the Mostest leaves something to be desired.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Joey

• Always and forever.
    • My Website
« Reply #155 on: April 04, 2005, 02:36:21 PM »

Joey, the reference is in the second act...but you must watch the whole thing!

f I had my way I would see it on stage first. It is at the top of my must see it on stage, must get cast recording, and must get DVD lists.
There is no music without silence, only noise...

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #156 on: April 04, 2005, 02:44:23 PM »

Off to be the orchestra at a Pajama Game rehearsal.  Taking the boys with me.  When I did my preliminary run-through last week, I was somewhat shocked at the level of use of the "F" word amongst these high-schoolers.  Lord only knows what my kids are going to do with this information.  :)
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Jane

« Reply #157 on: April 04, 2005, 02:45:32 PM »

There's a bad side to recycling?

I despised group projects, although they do teach a very important lesson: Don't trust anyone else. Do it yourself.

Even that doesn't always work.

Vixmom will enjoy this middle school tale of woe.

Bryan was doing a group project when we took a trip to Los Angeles.  Normally all the students in the group receive the same grade.  However the teacher felt Bryan deserved a lower grade since he had not been in class.  More frustrating, the teacher didn’t seem to doubt me when I explained the following....

Bryan worked on that project during both of the 4½ hour flights and while we were in Los Angeles.  Before leaving he and I purchased, without reimbursement from the other students, most of the supplies needed for the project.  So basically Bryan did 90% of the work and received a B while the other students received A’s.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #158 on: April 04, 2005, 02:49:23 PM »

Don't forget your address, Jane.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #159 on: April 04, 2005, 03:08:06 PM »

Is it the same as Lincoln's Gettysburg Address?

DRJOSE should be on his way to his Indy hotel as we speak.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #160 on: April 04, 2005, 03:11:14 PM »

Is this a  polka they are dancing to? ;D

It's a WALTZ!!!!!  Tchaikovsky, dontcha know.

I'm back from a lovely long luncheon with Mr Jonathan Tunick, greatest living orchestrator and friend.  The fur flew, tales were told, and a tasty lunch was consumed.  We have a project.  More to follow . . .
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jane

« Reply #161 on: April 04, 2005, 03:13:08 PM »

When I was but a wee sprig of a twig of a tad of a lad of a youth, it was often said that I resembled the painting of Blue Boy.  

I was often told I had a Mona Lisa smile.  I almost cried the first time I saw the painting-it's not one of my favorites ;D.  I still love the song.  :)
« Last Edit: April 04, 2005, 03:13:35 PM by Jane »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #162 on: April 04, 2005, 03:16:16 PM »

DRJANE it is certainly an improvement over a Mona Lisa Nose!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #163 on: April 04, 2005, 03:22:43 PM »

Hmmmmm....there seems to be a new import Soundtrack CD from Hans Christian Anderson, but I can't imagine that it beats BK's.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=68056&item=4714369270&rd=1
« Last Edit: April 04, 2005, 03:23:04 PM by JRand54 »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #164 on: April 04, 2005, 03:32:51 PM »

:(   All of my bookmarks have disappeared.  I hate technology sometimes!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #165 on: April 04, 2005, 03:44:53 PM »

Good Afternoon!

I'm here!! I'm here!!

And, yes, we did hit some traffic on the way to the hotel.  We were at one intersection for about five cycles of the lights.  But we're here.

...And there's a Maggie Moo's about 100 feet from the hotel...

::)

Nice hotel.  And this time we have kitchens - stovetop burners and ovens!  Yeah!

Although, I was thinking I could probably just buy two whole meals from the Maggiano's across the street and live off of those for the week, and still have food leftover to take back to Richmond  next Monday.

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #166 on: April 04, 2005, 03:46:04 PM »

DR Jrand - I keep meaning to mention...  I don't have to attend any day rehearsals this week, so, if you happen to have a few extra hours, I guess we could get together before Sunday.  If you are so inclined and available.
Make Your Own Luck.

MBarnum

« Reply #167 on: April 04, 2005, 03:46:13 PM »

I think I am going to Seattle this weekend with my buddy Mark....his boyfriend lives there and so they alternate weekends either up there or in Wilsonville and he asked if I wanted to  tag along this trip...that should be fun as I have only been to Seattle once...maybe I will buy some Hong Kong DVDs in Chinatown!
« Last Edit: April 04, 2005, 03:48:31 PM by MBarnum »

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #168 on: April 04, 2005, 03:52:07 PM »

DR George - Richard Nelson actually has some ties to Richmond, VA, and to my alma mater, Virginia Commonwealth University.  I believe he either lived in Richmond for a time, went to or taught at VCU, and/or...  But he used to do a lot of the promotional art for some for some of the theatres in town.  And, yes, his Sweeney Todd for the Barksdale Theatre is one of my favorites.

He's a close friend of one of the theatre department profs I used to work with a lot at school.  When we did Little Shop of Horrors, Richard donated his time and talent to the department and came up with quite a lovely poster for the show - which I still need to get framed.  The original hangs in the director's bathroom - at least it was the last time I was over at the house.  ;)

But truly great artwork.

*And if anyone is still looking for his book, it might be worth it to check the bookstore listings in Richmond, VA.  Maybe even a place called Black Swan Books.  And VCU's Bookstore also had copies of it from time to time.
Make Your Own Luck.

Jane

« Reply #169 on: April 04, 2005, 03:53:29 PM »

JRand-ROTFLOL

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #170 on: April 04, 2005, 03:53:50 PM »

I think I am going to Seattle this weekend with my buddy Mark....his boyfriend lives there and so they alternate weekends either up there or in Wilsonville and he asked if I wanted to  tag along this trip...that should be fun as I have only been to Seattle once...maybe I will buy some Hong Kong DVDs in Chinatown!

Ah, Seattle...  I haven't been back since I lived there.  When I was nine years old.  I'd really love to go back as an adult.  And I still remember the Chinatown there.  Although, the Chinatown up in Vancouver is truly amazing.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #171 on: April 04, 2005, 03:57:31 PM »

All this talk of grades and such... Makes me very thankful - and fortunate - that my parents made the decision - and the sacrifices - to send me and my three brothers through the parochial school system.

Even back then it was a little "scary" when I would talk to some of my friends who were in the public school system - friends I went to parochial grade school with - and hear what they were studying.  And not studying.  However, they did get out of school around 2:15 usually, while we went till 3:30.  I guess that's why I never got hooked on "General Hospital".

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Danise

« Reply #172 on: April 04, 2005, 03:58:54 PM »

Hi all.  I’m tired.  My body is all discombobulated.  Now THAT’s a fifty cent word for you.  Yes, I am discombobulated and will be that way for at least a week or two.

DR Jose, I am so impressed with your notebook computer.  It’s so cool how you can stay in touch like that.  I want one.  I may yet get one.  

I haven’t told you guys the news.  When I came home on Friday, there was a big FOR SALE sign at the mausoleum err house to our East.  I don’t know if that means that the people who were going to buy it changed their minds or what.  

I had noticed that they didn’t seem to be doing anything to the house last week.  Is it possible they saw Bear and changed their minds???  Have I mentioned lately that Bear is such a good doggie.  

My boss had told me that I should wait to put up a privacy fence because whoever moves in might just do that.  Wouldn’t THAT be handy?  

So I might start looking at notebooks again.  We’ll see.

I have a cute little story that I got at work today”

THAT’S NOT MY JOB

This is a story about four people named, Everybody, Somebody, Anybody and Nobody.  There was an important job to be done and Everybody was sure Somebody would do it.  Anybody could have done it, but Nobody did it.  Somebody got angry about that, because it was Everybody’s job.  Everybody thought Anybody could do it, but Nobody realized that Everybody wouldn’t do it.  It ended up that Everybody blamed Somebody when Nobody did what Anybody could have!  

Whew!

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #173 on: April 04, 2005, 04:01:37 PM »

When I was but a wee sprig of a twig of a tad of a lad of a youth, it was often said that I resembled the painting of Blue Boy.  

SELTZER!

When did it become unpopular with the populace to call seltzer SELTZER?  Sparkling water just doesn't do it, does it.  I like SELTZER!

Now that could be sort of a fun "hook" for a new dining establishment...  The waiters and waitresses could walk around with SELTZER bottles, and "serve" tableside.

*And I remember making sodas in science class in Mr. Sharack's fourth grade class.  It was a way to demonstrate the properties of carbon dioxide - and a very delicious one at that!

**And now I also remember "playing" with mercury - spinning around drops in the palm of my hand and watching them evaporate/sublimate....  Hmm... Was that legal?  healthy?  Or was I "playing" with a different type of mercury?
Make Your Own Luck.

Danise

« Reply #174 on: April 04, 2005, 04:07:50 PM »

Good morning all!! After a rainy nasty blustery weekend it is finally clearing up.  The blue sky is peeking through and it is getting warm, nearly fifty!! I didn't wear a coat to work today!!

Smarty.  ;) :D  That must be that thick Yankee blood I've heard about!  I'll have you know I did wear my coat was glad I did!

On the down side, I bought some rose petal sachet in my suitcase to make it smell better.  I had my coats in there as well.  Well, I thought they smelled very nice (still do) but my boss is allergic to it.  I had to put my coat in a bag.  :(

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Jane

« Reply #175 on: April 04, 2005, 04:11:45 PM »

Sandra, nice story of meeting Isabella Taylor.

I’m enjoying the photos of favorite paintings.  Sorry I have none to add, photos of favorite paintings that is.

Except for modern art I like almost all styles.  I can't say I have a favorite artist.  When I visit an art museum my favorites are usually the old masterpieces, except for the Mona Lisa.  I'm also fond of American folk art, in particular I like Jane Wooster Scott.  In the past I have mentioned how much we enjoyed the Norman Rockwell museum. My favorite impressionist is Pissaro.

It is late and I haven’t walked yet today.  I should get out of here before the floor guy returns and makes the house stink again and my ability to breathe diminishes.

Danise

« Reply #176 on: April 04, 2005, 04:12:27 PM »

I've been doing interesting things.

But you didn't say what interesting things you were doing!

Art.  I'm afraid I don't know very much about.  I'm in the "I like what I like." catagory. No real rhyme or reason as to why.
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Danise

« Reply #177 on: April 04, 2005, 04:13:13 PM »

Breath well, DR Jane!
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Danise

« Reply #178 on: April 04, 2005, 04:24:47 PM »

Here is the version of Hans Christian Anderson that I bought at Footlights.
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Jane

« Reply #179 on: April 04, 2005, 04:28:49 PM »

Thanks Danise and GOOD VIBES on getting nice neighbors.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Up