Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: MELON BALLS  (Read 25579 times)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
Re:MELON BALLS
« Reply #90 on: April 04, 2005, 11:53:09 AM »

Green Acres was a docudrama.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #91 on: April 04, 2005, 11:53:24 AM »

And one for Mahler.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #92 on: April 04, 2005, 11:54:09 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%][size=20]Texas Two-Step!!![/size][/move]
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #93 on: April 04, 2005, 11:58:32 AM »

Other favorite illustrators: John Clymer, W.T. Benda, Andrew Loomis, Steven Dohanos.  Of paperback cover artists: Robert Maguire, Robert McGinnis, Victor Kalin.  Pinup artists: Elvgren, Earl Moran.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #94 on: April 04, 2005, 12:00:38 PM »

As for the TOD: I have always been a big fan of Seurat and pointilism in general. There is one in the IMA that I like quite a bit. I believe it is of a woman in a field.

Glad you're feeling better Joey, but actually, it's a picture of Louis' Waffle Stove! ;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #95 on: April 04, 2005, 12:06:56 PM »

My favorite painter, and artist in general, is Isabella Taylor, wife of the celebrated author Philip Taylor. I had the pleasure of meeting Isabella at the Desert Botanical Garden when she was here in town. She was sketching a picture of a prickly pear cactus and stopped to ask me what I thought about it. She was really nice and it was really great meeting her.
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #96 on: April 04, 2005, 12:08:14 PM »

Rodzinski - did you ever finish viewing the movie?  Strange seeing a different version, eh?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #97 on: April 04, 2005, 12:09:48 PM »

Haven't heard from Mr. Walter Willison.  So, I don't know whether to eat or save myself for dinner.  Perhaps I'll eat, and then if dinner happens I'll just do a salad.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #98 on: April 04, 2005, 12:12:05 PM »

I have not, BK. Yesterday the Gal had her shows to watch and we saw a movie at the movies, but I am going to have to lay down the law and tell her in no uncertain terms that if we can't watch that DVD, I shall cry.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #99 on: April 04, 2005, 12:13:00 PM »

Venosa did a lot of Santana and Miles Davis covers.  You would probably recognize his truly freaky Davis covers, including the one with people's skins pulling back--but it is not representative of the bulk of his work.  There is some truly beautiful visionary stuff he did, all glowing trees and ethereal bodies.  Methinks he did a lot of "vitamin A", if you catch you my drift.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #100 on: April 04, 2005, 12:13:28 PM »

MR BK did you watch Mr. Arch Hall in WILD GUITAR.  The first few minutes are a trip back to Benjamin's LA!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #101 on: April 04, 2005, 12:13:56 PM »

Was he young and healthy?

JMK

« Reply #102 on: April 04, 2005, 12:14:47 PM »

What about Vargas?   The stuff adolescent boys' dreams are made of!!

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #103 on: April 04, 2005, 12:15:10 PM »

Well, baseball season is here.  I turn into my hometown team to the Cincinnati Reds who have a 3-1 lead.  After ten minutes of watching they're tied at 3-3.  I'd like for them not to disappoint me until at least AFTER the All-star break this year.

The premimun channels are giving us a free preview today, so instead of watching ESPN, I'm watching their feed which gives us local commercials.  So seeing a commercial for Skyline Chili is interesting.

Speaking of hometown matters, my interview came out in the local hometown monthly newspaper INSIDE FORT THOMAS.  It was complete and intact with lots of pictures.  Probably the best interview I've done after my Unseemingly Interview on this site here.

Joey

• Always and forever.
    • My Website
« Reply #104 on: April 04, 2005, 12:18:03 PM »

Glad you're feeling better Joey, but actually, it's a picture of Louis' Waffle Stove! ;)

I don't get it. You'll have to explain it to me then I will need to do penance for not knowing something that should be common knowledge. :)

In the meantime, more pointillism!! I am admittedly no expert. I just like the style.

There is no music without silence, only noise...

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #105 on: April 04, 2005, 12:22:46 PM »

So, what happens if you don't own a video camera? We don't own one, and I certainly wouldn't jump to buy one for an assignment. Heck, much of the time my kids were in middle and and high school, we didn't even have a working television, which presented a problem when the kids were assigned to watch a movie for an assignment. The teachers always looked askance at us for not having a television.

My point exacty.  Fortunately we do have a working one at the moment and we will allow her to use it, but we resent the fact that the teaher just assumes that this is something everyone will have. We happen to personally know a child in that class that not only doesn't have a video camera, they don't have a car and for a good few months  recently they didn't even have a home as they were foreclosed upon.

Out here in many of the schools, teachers are no longer using red pens to correct students' work, because the red ink hurts the children's feelings and lowers their self esteem.

I heard this on NPR this morning!!! I also heard recently that some schools are no longer publishing  "Honor Rolls" as it hurst the feelings of the children that aren't included on the list.

Also, out here, teachers have been known to show movies in class instead of teaching. Not educational movies, but "movie-theater movies."

YES!!!
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

vixmom

« Reply #106 on: April 04, 2005, 12:24:03 PM »

I have not, BK. Yesterday the Gal had her shows to watch and we saw a movie at the movies, but I am going to have to lay down the law and tell her in no uncertain terms that if we can't watch that DVD, I shall cry.

;D You're my kinda man Rodzinski!!

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #107 on: April 04, 2005, 12:30:00 PM »

When I taught Composition at a college in Ohio, we were told not to mark with red ink. And that was for COLLEGE STUDENTS!! Of course this was a system where you had the choice of grading papers "Pass" and "No Pass". And some teachers developed more comically arcane grades like "No Pass Plus". If a student failed, or I should say, Did Not Pass the class, they had so many levels of appeal, they could usually move right on.

JMK

« Reply #108 on: April 04, 2005, 12:34:15 PM »

When I taught Vocal Jazz at Clark College in Washington, we had actual grades, but they were pretty much pointless, since the whole raison d'etre (or so it seemed) of the school was to get bodies in classrooms with tuition checks in hand (and a failing student is most likely not going to be around next term).  It was one of the reasons I left after a couple of years.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #109 on: April 04, 2005, 12:35:51 PM »

Is there a link to said interview, DR CP?

JMK

« Reply #110 on: April 04, 2005, 12:38:22 PM »

I started watching Darling with Julie Christie last night.  Forgive me if there are those who love this film, but I am finding it pretty unbearable.  Schlesinger just does not strike me as someone who should be trying an English version of new wave cinema.

vixmom

« Reply #111 on: April 04, 2005, 12:41:41 PM »

When I taught Composition at a college in Ohio, we were told not to mark with red ink. And that was for COLLEGE STUDENTS!! Of course this was a system where you had the choice of grading papers "Pass" and "No Pass". And some teachers developed more comically arcane grades like "No Pass Plus". If a student failed, or I should say, Did Not Pass the class, they had so many levels of appeal, they could usually move right on.

When I was taking an Oceanography course in college I had a question on a test

"What are sea mounts commonly called?"

Being a smart-ass and also not knowing the correct answer  I wrote 'I commonly call them sea mounts"

I was given full credit!

Same test we also had an essay question "Why is the sea salt?"

Again, not knowing the correct answer I replied with  a old folktale I had learned as a child regarding a magic mill that would grind out whatever you commanded and the thief who had taken the mill out to sea and commanded it to grind salt without knowing how to turn it off. "

I also received full points for that essay with a note from the teacher saying he remembered this story fondly from his youth

And hence  I remain an uneducated moron regarding all matters of oceanography  but I have darn good self esteem!!! ;D
« Last Edit: April 04, 2005, 12:43:00 PM by vixmom »

JMK

« Reply #112 on: April 04, 2005, 12:43:25 PM »

When I was taking an Oceanography course in college I had a question on a test

"What are sea mounts commonly called?"

Hump-back whales?   ;D

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #113 on: April 04, 2005, 12:45:10 PM »

I guess what we are learning is that the children of Long Island are being prepared quite nicely for college!

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #114 on: April 04, 2005, 12:48:29 PM »

Same test we also had an essay question "Why is the sea salt?"

Again, not knowing the correct answer I replied with  a old folktale I had learned as a child regarding a magic mill that would grind out whatever you commanded and the thief who had taken the mill out to sea and commanded it to grind salt without knowing how to turn it off. "

I also received full points for that essay with a note from the teacher saying he remembered this story fondly from his youth

And hence  I remain an uneducated moron regarding all matters of oceanography  but I have darn good self esteem!!! ;D

I believe it is in Grimm and is called "Why the Sea Is Salt".
"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #115 on: April 04, 2005, 12:55:37 PM »

What about Vargas?   The stuff adolescent boys' dreams are made of!!
Speak for yourself.  I already mentioned Tom of Finland.

vixmom

« Reply #116 on: April 04, 2005, 12:56:42 PM »

"Why the Sea Is Salt"

You can read it here

http://www.readprint.com/chapter-6500/Andrew-Lang

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #117 on: April 04, 2005, 12:59:41 PM »

No link to said interview.  Their website is in the process of being reconstructed.

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #118 on: April 04, 2005, 01:03:21 PM »

When I was at Caltech, I used to walk to the Huntington Gardens in San Marino to study on the weekends.  I would read in the gardens and then get out of the sun by wandering through the mansion, which contains an incredible collection.

One room has, on the wall facing you as you enter, Jushua Reynolds' Sarah Siddons as the Tragic Muse

on the wall to your right Gainsborough's Jonathan Buttall: The Blue Boy

And to the left Thomas Lawrence's Sarah Barrett Moulton: Pinkie

I have ever since had a special affection for those paintings and the lovely spring days I spent with them.  
« Last Edit: April 04, 2005, 01:04:29 PM by William F. Orr »
--Wayland Flowers

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #119 on: April 04, 2005, 01:06:41 PM »

They also have a large collection of William Blake watercolors, but only a few of them are on display at any one time, as the sunlight deteriorates them.  So there were always new Blakes to discover.
--Wayland Flowers
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9   Go Up