Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: MELON BALLS  (Read 25500 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
MELON BALLS
« on: April 03, 2005, 11:58:40 PM »

Well, you've read the notes, you know all there is to know about melon balls, and now it is time for you to post until the cows come home, which will be shortly after they find and eat some melon balls.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2005, 12:00:16 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:MELON BALLS
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2005, 12:02:47 AM »

And the word of the day is: SELTZER!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2005, 12:05:36 AM »

Welcome six GUESTS!  We're talkin' about painters.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2005, 12:06:03 AM »

My goodness, in about seventy-five posts I'll be achieving a new plateau.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2005, 12:49:15 AM »

Seurat (of course), the Hildebrandt brothers (I know them from their many book illustrations, which are intricately, detailed paintings.  They do beautiful work).  That's all I can think of right now. :)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2005, 12:52:50 AM »

I'm fond of Turner...been lucky to see several of  hispaintings in the flesh (or in the paint, as it were) in galleries.  Just very evocative and romantic stuff.  They stir me like a great piece of music.  Looking at a Turner painting while listening to Miklos Rozsa could probably kill me with beauty.

Most of my other favourite painters are illustrators...like Maxfield Parrish; N.C. Wyeth; Frank Frazetta.

As promised my detailed explanation of why the end of Being Julia doesn't really work.  WARNING: SPOILERS AHEAD!

I don't think Julia's revenge on those who done her wrong comes off...for several reasons.  First off, she doesn't have to hire the girl.  To hire her, just to humiliate her is a bit calculatingly cruel on Julia's part.  

Secondly, everyone keeps talking about what a great looker this girl is when, in fact, she is not particularly good-looking and certainly not a patch on Annette Bening.  

Thirdly, despite what they all say and seem to think, she isn't a very good actress, given what we see of her in auditions and rehearsals...even given that they are trying to emulate a certain style of the day, it still isn't particularly good.  

Fourthly, the scene in which they all think the girl is so funny isn't that funny and neither is her performance...and just because they are all laughing doesn't make it funny to us in the audience.  

Fifthly, we do not see enough of the play to know that what Julia is doing is amazing!  

We know she is changing the play and some of it we've seen, but we need to see and know more.  When she's relating it to her own life and giving her ad-libs and revisions double-meanings, we have no idea how she can depart from the scene and the play and still make it fit the context of the whole.  So when Jeremy Irons tells her to keep all her alterations in, we don't know how it works.  If we had seen the whole scene played out or seen other scenes that made us understand exactly what she was doing and where she was departing, then it would look like the amazing feat it was supposed to be.  

As it standsI think it is a lazily written scene (and Ronald Harwood is a good enough writer not to be that lazy)...because he takes the easy road by not showing us the original context so that we're able to contrast it to what Julia is actually doing.  That would have been amazing and dangerous.  To know the original, see the departure, she how she gave it double meaning, and could still make it work within the play she is performing. But all that stuff about the girl's lovers makes no sense because there's been no reference to it before.  

I think a little study of Ferenc Molnar, who has done this sort of thing in plays like THE PLAY'S THE THING, might have helped.

Sixthly, even the revised revenge version of the scene isn't all that funny.  Just because the audience in the film's theatre is laughing, doesn't mean the real audience in the theatre.  It's all a little too forced, obvious, and precious.  

And finally, Julia needs more real motive to exact this sort of revenge.  Now it only seems beneath and unworthy of her.  She hasn't really been all that wronged.  After all, she is the first to cheat and to pursue an affair which with a drip who her closest friend warned her in no uncertain terms would end badly. And her greatest victim...the actress...hadn't really done anything to her before she starting plotting her revenge on her. Also she was simply no real threat to Julia.  It was like shooting fish in a barrel.   Julia's behaviour is the worst of anyone in the film.

Danise

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2005, 03:47:29 AM »

Hey folks, it’s DARK outside!  It feels like five forty two instead of six forty two AM.  And it’s cold as well!  Only fifty!  Burrrr!  Laugh all you want but I’m wearing my light coat to work today.  

DR Jose, I hope you didn’t go out for “coffee” last night—caffeine keeps you up.   ;) :D

Hi DR Hisaka!    “Good morning/afternoon/evening to you!”  I don’t have a clew what time it is where you are.  I’m still sorting MY time out!

Sorry DR Jane but not everyone has a citrus tree in their yard down here.  In fact, right now, we have no fruit trees of any kind.  I think I shall be getting one of those dwarf lemon trees.  I’ll order it tonight.

Gotta run for the bus—at least while I still have a bus to run to.  Oy.  I haven’t heard anything about what has been decided but I bet we will lose it.

Have a good day all!

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2005, 05:08:31 AM »

Good Morning!

Painters... Seurat, Caillebotte (sp?), Monet, Manet, plus some other non-French ones... ;)

Well, time to get myself together for today's travel adventures...  Well, I hope we don't have to deal with any "adventures"...

Laters....
Make Your Own Luck.

Michael

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2005, 05:10:08 AM »

Mario.

He did a wonderful job in my bedroom. Two coats
Never stop dreaming.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2005, 05:34:39 AM »

Good morning, all!  Sorry, daylight saving time and I are not friends.  when the alarm went off at 5:30, excuse me 6:30, I knew it was lying and the body would not budge.   I'm now in that 5-14 day limbo where I have to readjust and I hate it.

Painters?  Michelangelo, Rubens, Rembrandt (when do we get a new clean print of CARNIVAL IN FLANDERS?), Watteau, Fragonard, Boucher, Chardin, Tiepolo, Turner, Sargent, Lautrec, Seurat, Van Gogh.

Illustrators:  Rockwell, Wyeth, Brian Wildsmith was one I loved during the 1960s, and I'm certain I'm passing up others.  I'll weigh back in later!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2005, 05:48:32 AM »

bk noted:

They do the balling, I do the buying

Did he steal this line from Hugh Grant?

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2005, 06:07:33 AM »

Hey folks, it’s DARK outside!  It feels like five forty two instead of six forty two AM.  And it’s cold as well!  Only fifty!  Burrrr!  Laugh all you want but I’m wearing my light coat to work today.  

Good morning all!! After a rainy nasty blustery weekend it is finally clearing up.  The blue sky is peeking through and it is getting warm, nearly fifty!! I didn't wear a coat to work today!!
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

DERBRUCER

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2005, 06:09:12 AM »

TOD: Salvador Dali:

All-Time Favorite:

Runners up:

der Brucer (Last Supper is in DC's National Gallery)

vixmom

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2005, 06:12:51 AM »

I have always loved the work of Norman Rockwell, I wanted to live in those pictures and know those people.  I like the "masters" Raphael, da Vinci, Michelangelo...I am afraid I have never been able to grasp the value of abstract or "pop" art, Picasso and Warhol leave me cold.  

vixmom

« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2005, 06:14:24 AM »

Good Morning dear derB and dear elmore.  I hope you are feeling well this morning.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2005, 06:15:49 AM »

Note to vixmom:

RE: Stella Awards

I think you have a good case against a certain playwright. His insistence on referencing a certain gemstone brought you great emotional distress. You need only to point out various exchanges on this board to highlight the fact that the pain is on-going. His attempt to hide behind his departed Mother to avoid blame for his inconsideration is egregious - SUE!

der Brucer (anticipating a share)

DERBRUCER

« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2005, 06:22:33 AM »

Good Morning dear derB and dear elmore.  I hope you are feeling well this morning.

Quite well, thank you. The dogs have been de-watered and the trash taken curbside. Sussex county still relies on each homeowner to arrange for his own waste removal. The state (Delaware) is in the throes of angst over mandated "recycling" - do we or don't we.

Soon it will be time to tend the live stock. The Grackles are back in force and have been joined by a flock of red-winged Blackbirds - all of whom have prodigious appetites.

der Brucer

DERBRUCER

« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2005, 06:39:45 AM »

N. C. Wyeth's son Andrew did some "modern art" vixmom might enjoy:

der Brucer

DERBRUCER

« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2005, 06:44:17 AM »

...I am afraid I have never been able to grasp the value of abstract or "pop" art, Picasso and Warhol leave me cold.  

Well, before Picasso brought us "Disconnected Lady with Spare Parts" he did things like this:

der Brucer

vixmom

« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2005, 06:58:25 AM »

N. C. Wyeth's son Andrew did some "modern art" vixmom might enjoy:

der Brucer

Yes this I like!

vixmom

« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2005, 07:00:58 AM »

Well, before Picasso brought us "Disconnected Lady with Spare Parts" he did things like this:

der Brucer

And this is wonderful!

I lieka picture that I can look at and see a story in, that makes me feel connected to the people in the picture.  When I see a bunch of paint splatters on an enormous wall sized canvas it just akes me think of a dropcloth that has been accidently framed  (I am so unsophisticated....)

Ginny

« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2005, 07:02:14 AM »

'morning!  Today is my last day of vacation - back to work tomorrow at noon  :(

Painters - Mark Tobey, Mary Casssatt, Frida Kahlo.  I also collect images of reading women, such as this one by Renoir:

"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

vixmom

« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2005, 07:02:43 AM »

Note to vixmom:

RE: Stella Awards

I think you have a good case against a certain playwright. His insistence on referencing a certain gemstone brought you great emotional distress. You need only to point out various exchanges on this board to highlight the fact that the pain is on-going. His attempt to hide behind his departed Mother to avoid blame for his inconsideration is egregious - SUE!

der Brucer (anticipating a share)

No case there,,, I am apparently the one who cause the undue emotional stress, i just thought it was funny.....

now my school district and particularly my typoing theacher...there I may have a case!!! ;D

vixmom

« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2005, 07:13:56 AM »

Still catching up on the weekend's posts as the DH had control of the computer  all Ssaturday night and all of Sunday...

RE: Teachers:  I did not in any way mean to disparage teachers in general.. just the teachers in my daughter's middle school..  K - 5 were great years.  

As far as underpaid and overworked the starting salary for  a first year teacher is $45,000 for a 180 days a year , they also get full medical/dental and a pension plan and full tuition reimbursment for additional educational credits.   This is for a 22 or 23 year old who has not yet achieved their masters degree.  

Tomofoz mentioned that in his 30 years of teaching experience... the problem we are having in this school  dear Tomofoz is that most of these teachers haven't even been alive for 30 years and have an average of 4 years teaching experience.  We questioned the Vixter as to whether a video was one an option or the assignment and she said the teacher said it must be a video. She told us that a  kid raised his hand and said he didn't have a video camera and the teacher told him to use his parents' camera. It never occured to this 24 year old nitwit that perhaps the family didn't own a video camera!! (Or if they did that they were not about to let their 11 year old have the use of it!)
« Last Edit: April 04, 2005, 07:18:07 AM by vixmom »

vixmom

« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2005, 07:15:06 AM »

DR Mshayne  awesome Larry Moore site!!

MBarnum

« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2005, 07:18:56 AM »

DR JRand54, there will most definitely be some Hong Kong musicals in your future! LOL!

Joey

• Always and forever.
    • My Website
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2005, 07:25:09 AM »

Morning all! I am finally back to the land of the living though I am still abit more tired than I should be. The health center decided I had 3 things wrong with me. Two of which I had before last week, and then a virus that multiplied the first two to the point where I was out all week, but I am feeling much better. I have one last stop at the health center to do a blood test just to be safe. I had a busy busy weekend but I'll update on that later.

As for the TOD: I have always been a big fan of Seurat and pointilism in general. There is one in the IMA that I like quite a bit. I believe it is of a woman in a field.

There is no music without silence, only noise...

Joey

• Always and forever.
    • My Website
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2005, 07:28:45 AM »

Which reminds me, I need to see Sunday in the Park with George.

Joey

• Always and forever.
    • My Website
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2005, 07:34:10 AM »

Actually the Indianapolis Museum of Art has the best collection of pontilism in the U.S. (at least that is what I've been told), I would say those of you making the trip to Indy to stop by it if you liked, but it is currently closed for renovation. It should be opening back up in about a month. ::)

vixmom

« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2005, 07:36:49 AM »

DR JRand54, there will most definitely be some Hong Kong musicals in your future! LOL!

I had no idea you were a fortune teller!!!

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Up