Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: MELON BALLS  (Read 25567 times)

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
Re:MELON BALLS
« Reply #120 on: April 04, 2005, 01:08:14 PM »

No link to said interview.  Their website is in the process of being reconstructed.

I tried a couple of searches for it, that explains why I had no luck, I could only find a link to a 2004 issue
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

vixmom

« Reply #121 on: April 04, 2005, 01:09:36 PM »

DANCE TIME!!!!!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #122 on: April 04, 2005, 01:11:48 PM »

Oh.....hmmmm.....maybe someday, DR CP.  I understand all about Under Construction.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #123 on: April 04, 2005, 01:12:06 PM »

I'm getting dizzy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #124 on: April 04, 2005, 01:12:15 PM »

When I was but a wee sprig of a twig of a tad of a lad of a youth, it was often said that I resembled the painting of Blue Boy.  

SELTZER!

When did it become unpopular with the populace to call seltzer SELTZER?  Sparkling water just doesn't do it, does it.  I like SELTZER!

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #125 on: April 04, 2005, 01:12:22 PM »

Sorry DR Jane but not everyone has a citrus tree in their yard down here.  In fact, right now, we have no fruit trees of any kind.  I think I shall be getting one of those dwarf lemon trees.  I’ll order it tonight.

Gotta run for the bus—at least while I still have a bus to run to.  Oy.  I haven’t heard anything about what has been decided but I bet we will lose it.

LOL.   Growing up in Los Angeles it seemed almost everyone had a lemon tree.  We didn't  ;D but enough people around us did.

Good vibes on the bus situation!

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #126 on: April 04, 2005, 01:12:25 PM »

Joe has had for many years three signed Russ Elliot prints.  This is one of them.

Alas, we have put up no pictures in the new house yet, so they are still boxed.   :-[
"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #127 on: April 04, 2005, 01:13:06 PM »

RE MONK AND MINDY, it was a slip of the typing finger, but anything would have to be better than that show, though it certainly pleased a lot of people in its day. Just not me.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #128 on: April 04, 2005, 01:13:38 PM »

Thanks for the paintings, DRSWW.  I am always awed in the presence of ART.  My favorite museums are The National Gallery in DC and the Guggenheim!

DRJOEY is correct.  The IMA is closed - most of the times I have been there, you can't see the paintings because people stand in front of them talking to each and ignoring the art.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #129 on: April 04, 2005, 01:13:42 PM »

I did watch Wild Guitar.  Terrible movie, but some lovely shots of early sixties LA.  The transfer is so fuzzy that it's hard to tell what's playing at the Egyptian, although I finally figured out it was Sweet Bird of Youth.  I just wished they'd turned the camera around and shot Pickwick Books.  There's a nice semi-shot of Diamond Jim's though.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #130 on: April 04, 2005, 01:14:56 PM »

I made two egg and cheese burritos.  Not too fattening, very low fat grams, and quite yummilicious.  That way, if dinner does happen, I can still eat a little something later.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #131 on: April 04, 2005, 01:16:54 PM »

DANCE TIME!!!!!

Oy--it's all clear now.  She's not sleeping, she's comatose from the centrifugal force.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

MBarnum

« Reply #132 on: April 04, 2005, 01:19:19 PM »

I so wish I were at home on my couch taking a nap! I am very SLEEPY!

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #133 on: April 04, 2005, 01:20:09 PM »

One room has, on the wall facing you as you enter, Jushua Reynolds' Sarah Siddons as the Tragic Muse

Nice speech, Eve.  I wouldn't worry so much about your heart. You can always put that award where your heart ought to be.

Matt H.

« Reply #134 on: April 04, 2005, 01:21:12 PM »

My point exacty.  Fortunately we do have a working one at the moment and we will allow her to use it, but we resent the fact that the teaher just assumes that this is something everyone will have.

If you are THIS bothered by the assignment (and I'm not saying I agree with it either), have you gone and questioned the teacher about it, getting the insight of his/her educational objectives behind such an assignment and possible alternatives for those who are not fortunate enough to have sophisticated equipment to use? I know in my own case, I never gave an assignment I couldn't justify for its educational intention and content.

As for movies in the classroom, I certainly showed them once VCRs and TVs in the room became available, but again, they were never time wasters or fillers in place of lessons. We occasionally saw movies based on literary works we had read. We discussed the changes in the printed work and the story on the screen. I also used film clips to teach point of view, the various types of irony, and other terms we used in literature discussion. (It was also a sneaky way of introducing them to film classics in small chunks.)

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #135 on: April 04, 2005, 01:27:12 PM »

Bruce the CD would be great-thanks.  I’m finally going to have a CD player in my car.  I’m so excited.

Rodzinski I’’m relieved to say we didn’t have any children in the audience for Sin City.  

Matt H,  do you avoid all movies with excessive violence?

Joey welcome back to the land of living.  Continued good health vibes!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #136 on: April 04, 2005, 01:32:29 PM »

Jane, e me your address.

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #137 on: April 04, 2005, 01:43:03 PM »

Nice speech, Eve.  I wouldn't worry so much about your heart. You can always put that award where your heart ought to be.

ROTFL
--Wayland Flowers

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #138 on: April 04, 2005, 01:44:42 PM »

And wouldn't we all love to have seen Mrs. Siddons as Margo Channing?
--Wayland Flowers

Matt H.

« Reply #139 on: April 04, 2005, 01:47:05 PM »

Matt H,  do you avoid all movies with excessive violence?

Yes, I do. I learned my lesson with PULP FICTION. I was so sickened by the violence in that movie (I was literally nauseous when I walked out of the theater) that I now read reviews very carefully before venturing out into a theater.

(As I've said here before, I am such a gullible viewer that I believe EVERYTHING I see as real, so I can't sit there and tell myself it's just a movie. It doesn't work for me that way.)

I avoided KILL BILL Vol. 1 for the very same reason even though the reviews said the violence was so overplayed as to be funny. It wouldn't have been for me.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #140 on: April 04, 2005, 01:47:32 PM »

And wouldn't we all love to have seen Mrs. Siddons as Margo Channing?

Well, she looks like she'd burn down a plantation.... :)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #141 on: April 04, 2005, 01:50:33 PM »

That's what television is, my dear, nothing BUT auditions!

vixmom

« Reply #142 on: April 04, 2005, 01:56:38 PM »

DANCE TIME!!!!!

Is this a  polka they are dancing to? ;D

MBarnum

« Reply #143 on: April 04, 2005, 02:02:07 PM »

DR Matth, I feel pretty much the same way as far as movie violence goes. It is quite often just too graphic for my tastes.

I am not one who needs "realism" in my movies...so when a character is shot, I am able to still believe what is happening on the screen even when there is no blood and brain matter flying about! LOL!

vixmom

« Reply #144 on: April 04, 2005, 02:05:08 PM »

DR Matth, I feel pretty much the same way as far as movie violence goes. It is quite often just too graphic for my tastes.

I am not one who needs "realism" in my movies...so when a character is shot, I am able to still believe what is happening on the screen even when there is no blood and brain matter flying about! LOL!

I agree,  If Quentin Taratino had been directing LOTR, the Fellowship would have been drowning in gore and guts on those battlefields and cursing up a storm.  

I find the overuse of "language" and gore in the name of realism, is terribly distracting and detrimental to the story that is supposedly being told.

« Last Edit: April 04, 2005, 02:08:43 PM by vixmom »

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #145 on: April 04, 2005, 02:06:39 PM »

Well, I'm very happy.  My Reds came back from a six to four deficeit in the bottom of the ninth with back-to-back home runs to win their opener, seven to six against the New York Mets.

Kerry

« Reply #146 on: April 04, 2005, 02:17:56 PM »

I like watermelon, but cantaloupe and honeydew are melons from the devil.  I do not like to ball melons, and I don't like melonballs.  I will not eat them on a boat; I will not eat them with a goat.
I like boat races.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #147 on: April 04, 2005, 02:24:09 PM »

Glad you're feeling better Joey, but actually, it's a picture of Louis' Waffle Stove! ;)

I don't get it. You'll have to explain it to me then I will need to do penance for not knowing something that should be common knowledge. :)

Actually, it's a Sunday in the Park With George reference...you'll understand when you watch it!

Speaking of SITPWG, another illustrator that I absolutely love is Bill Nelson.  I've only seen his work in a book about his work called "Finishing the Hat:  The Illustrations of Bill Nelson[/b]" (below is another of his pictures...the book is out of print).  He designed some magazine and album covers and posters, such as Sweeney Todd and Angels in America for some regional productions.  He's done a lot more than albums and magazines and posters, but those are what I remember.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #148 on: April 04, 2005, 02:25:26 PM »

The detail in Bill Nelson's work is absolutely incredible!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Matt H.

« Reply #149 on: April 04, 2005, 02:26:36 PM »

I finished BELLS ARE RINGING this afternoon (all the extras, too; I had never seen Dean Martin's cut number. One of Jule Styne's less memorable songs).

Dean Martin was perfect casting as Jeff Moss, but honestly, is there a worse example of lip-syncing by a major star than Dean's in "I Met a Girl"? I mean, there are times when we hear his voice on the soundtrack, and he's not even moving his lips. Often he comes in after the voice has begun singing, and it's clear he's not sure of the words either. Just terrible.

Susan Hayward's "I'll Plant My Own Tree" isn't great either, but since Eileen Wilson sang the song on the soundtrack album but Margaret Whiting dubbed her for the actual movie, I wonder which track Susan was lip-synching to. That might be why her miming isn't very good. She's much better lip-synching in other films, whether it's her voice or someone else's.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9   Go Up