Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: NAMELY JULY  (Read 17899 times)

Tomovoz

Re:NAMELY JULY
« Reply #90 on: July 01, 2005, 05:12:22 PM »

Over two and a half hours - a guest appearance by a crank an that's it!!
I spy an Elmore!!
I hope you found some more toyland goodies DR Elmore.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #91 on: July 01, 2005, 05:13:09 PM »

And an appearance by DR Michael.  I hope your back feels better Michael.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Michael

« Reply #92 on: July 01, 2005, 05:19:59 PM »

I think Advel is helping out. But we will see when it wears off it I will still be in pain.

Was watching Season 1 of Bewitched. Finished one where Paul Lynde was the guest star and he wasn't Uncle Arthur. Also there was another episode that had a touching moment to it and made me  cry about. That pain medicine!!!
Never stop dreaming.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #93 on: July 01, 2005, 05:47:40 PM »

This must be the dog days of summer, baby.  You DON'T want me to start bitch-slapping, do you?  I am in that mode, baby.

I went to Grant's and we finished the galley fixes and printed out a new copy.  We then spent two hours monkeying with ideas for the cover - and, towards the end, came up with one that we both are really fond of.  We'll tinker with it a bit more, but I think we've found it.

This weekend, I'll re-proof the new galley - I've already found five more things we missed.  As most of you know from my rantings with my other books, this seems like a never-ending process - you proof and proof, think you've got it all, and then you find something else.  At some point, we'll just lock it and if we miss a thing or two we'll be far ahead of most books published these days, which are so sloppy and so rife with errors that you just sit and scratch your head.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #94 on: July 01, 2005, 05:48:22 PM »

Hello, everone!  We finished up early in the Music Division, around 2:30, so we decided to see if we could move our train reservatins up from 7:00 to 3 or 4.  We just missed the 3:00 train but we changed tickets for the 4:00 Metroliner.  I've just finished catching up on all the posts since Wednesday.

Yes, DRTomovoz, I'm very lucky with folk named Tom; my brother Tom is two years young than I, and I love him dearly.  My friend Tom Murray, who's been assistign me on  BABES IN TOYLAND is another lucky acquaintance, as are you and DRTCB.

DRHisaka, I've heard most of the PORGY AND BESS recordings in its musical theatre incarnations; I've never heard the Cleo Laine or Mel Torme jazz versions. While I'm fond of excerpts, PORGY is an opera and I prefer to hear it complete.  My favorite is the Houston Grand Opera recording:  the cast is in real character from so many performances (there's no better Maria than the late great Carol Brice), and no one conducts the piece better than the under-appreciated John de Maine.  There was a broadcast of the New York City Opera's wonderful production around three years ago, and I wish that would come out on DVD.  I am not a fan of Trevor Nunn's eccentricities in the Glyndebourne production on DVD.

Yes, we did make a couple of discoveries in 1903 BABES IN TOYLAND research.  I have no memory of what it was I unearthed, but DRJose was able to decipher an important quote in Victor Herbert's handwriting that has eluded all of us for four years!  Tom Murray discovered the name of a copyist Herbert used, Charles Gisling, who's addressed as "Mein lieber Gisling" on the first page of the Act One Finale.  Oh, yes, I discovered "Reuben Glue," a parody of Victor Herbert songs with lyrics by Anne Caldwell for David Montgomery and Fred Stone (stars of the 1902 WIZARD OF OZ and THE RED MILL) to perform in Herbert's 1912 version of Cinderella, THE LADY OF THE SLIPPER.

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #95 on: July 01, 2005, 06:04:15 PM »

Well, if you want more posts......

Here's the first delivery of 100 tons of landscaping materials.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #96 on: July 01, 2005, 06:11:19 PM »

DRJose, I am around on Monday, but I may have a visit from my Father, which would take up my time this week.  Give me a call, and I'll let you know if I've heard what his plans are.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

MBarnum

« Reply #97 on: July 01, 2005, 06:13:15 PM »

Welcome back DR Elmore3003...glad you made good discoveries on your expedition.

MBarnum

« Reply #98 on: July 01, 2005, 06:16:19 PM »

Media check:

DVD: TROCADERO (1944) starring Rosemary Lane and Johnny Downs...another movie from the 50 Classic Musicals set.

VHS: MYSTERIOUS ISLAND (1929)

CD: Actually I am listening to Raagaa.com which is playing the soundtrack to the knew Bollywood movie WAQT.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #99 on: July 01, 2005, 06:20:10 PM »

DRHisaka, I've heard most of the PORGY AND BESS recordings in its musical theatre incarnations; I've never heard the Cleo Laine or Mel Torme jazz versions. While I'm fond of excerpts, PORGY is an opera and I prefer to hear it complete.  

I don't have the Mel Torme PORGY, but I have the Cleo Laine/Ray Charles PORGY and the Ella Fitzgeral/Louis Armstrong PORGY (and if I remember correctly, those two were recorded about 20 years apart by the same producer).  These can only be listened to as jazz recordings, much like BK's Sondheim in Jazz series, not as any kind of a cast recording (they're not the whole show).  But if you love jazz, they're both very different and both very good (in my humble opinion, IMHO in Internet lingo).
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

MBarnum

« Reply #100 on: July 01, 2005, 06:22:44 PM »

Got many errands run and am now doing laundry as tomorrow morning I drive to Washington to go camping at a place called Lake Merwin Campers Hideaway where I will be roughing it with about with my buddies Mark and James, Gregg and Randy, Heath, Wes, and about 10 other gay men.

This is the place...

I have never been before but I understand it is a pretty nice place...evidently you have to have a membership, keeps the riff raff out, LOL!...Gregg and Randy will have their boat and there is a diner and an indoor swimming pool and sauna and hot tub...that is what I call roughing it! LOL!
« Last Edit: July 01, 2005, 06:27:42 PM by MBarnum »

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #101 on: July 01, 2005, 06:23:04 PM »

Holiday weekend?  What holiday weekend?

I'm working through the weekend.  I won't get a day off until next Thursday.

And I've got dinner to fix.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #102 on: July 01, 2005, 06:24:26 PM »

Hello people.  It has been an interesting day.  The seller's  at our morning closing  didn't realize that the people buying their house were planning on living there... they were most suprised when told they were supposed to be delivering the keys and vacant possession.  They had not only not started packing, they had'nt even begun looking for a new place to live!  They seemed to think that these nice people had come along and were going to give them half a mill for their house and then just let them stay in it indefinitely.

When their very embarrassed  attorney said , But I explained you needed to be out of the house." the wife replied , "I didn't know you meant today, I thought you meant eventually!"
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

vixmom

« Reply #103 on: July 01, 2005, 06:26:25 PM »

The next closing nearly ended in a fistfight overt eh removal  (or not) of a 45 foot boat

Jed

« Reply #104 on: July 01, 2005, 06:26:25 PM »

My goodness, I go E&T for a couple days and I come back to find a lovely new photo for DR Hisaka and DR Jason has returned!  Welcome back, good sir.

My E&T ways shall continue through the weekend.  Ann and I have decided to jump in the car this evening and make a whirlwind weekend trip to Reno.  One of my best friends from college lives there, which is a wonderful bonus for housing costs.  Another pair of college friends are down there this weekend visiting the first friend as well, so it'll be a nice CWU music department reunion of sorts.  Also, neither Ann nor myself have ever been to Reno, and we have a bit of a travel bug in us at the moment, so we looked at the 12-hour drive and decided, "Oh, what the hell."  Bring on the air conditioning!
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Jed

« Reply #105 on: July 01, 2005, 06:29:20 PM »

MBarnum - I've never heard of Lake Merwin, but it looks quite wonderful.  Enjoy!

vixmom - Ha! :D

vixmom

« Reply #106 on: July 01, 2005, 06:30:53 PM »

The last closing the people were sensible but the bank was not as I had a nitwit from an out of state trying to convince me that it was necessary for me to record a mortgage for $0.00 to "protect their interest" I eventually was able to persuade her to let me speak to her manager who finally made her see reason.

vixmom

« Reply #107 on: July 01, 2005, 06:35:59 PM »

Oh, and I was at a  closing  last night until 6:30 waiting for a bank to call me back with an approval on my HUD-1, when I finally gave up on them and called them I was answered by a recording saying the offices were closed and my efforts to reach a living  human all resulted in voice mail.

I received a phone call at noon today  from the person I was originally speaking to last night around 5:15, the same one who went home after promising to review my HUD and call me right back... she had a change she wanted made and initialed by the borrowers and she  was quite suprised to find that the borrowers weren't still there in my office 20 hours after we first spoke... did she think we were all just gonna camp out until she felt like getting back to us?!

vixmom

« Reply #108 on: July 01, 2005, 06:39:28 PM »

camping at a place called Lake Merwin Campers Hideaway where I will be roughing it with about with my buddies Mark and James, Gregg and Randy, Heath, Wes, and about 10 other gay men.

is this a euphamism?   ;D

Looks wonderful have a great day!!

vixmom

« Reply #109 on: July 01, 2005, 06:42:01 PM »

Welcome home dear elmore.  I am glad your trip was successful and I hope you have a nice visit with your dad

vixmom

« Reply #110 on: July 01, 2005, 06:44:06 PM »

.  Ann and I have decided to jump in the car this evening and make a whirlwind weekend trip to Reno.  

Well look out for the sherriff's department!

have a wonderful time!!  

vixmom

« Reply #111 on: July 01, 2005, 06:44:53 PM »

I came, I read, I frenzied

vixmom

« Reply #112 on: July 01, 2005, 06:45:12 PM »

goodnight

MBarnum

« Reply #113 on: July 01, 2005, 06:52:19 PM »

Jed, the lake is about 10 miles from Amboy..and I have to also drive through Battleground.

MBarnum

« Reply #114 on: July 01, 2005, 06:57:58 PM »

A couple of music related deaths today...Luther Vandross passed away as did Renoldo Benson of the FOUR TOPS.

Tomovoz

« Reply #115 on: July 01, 2005, 07:06:34 PM »

Only heard about Luther Vandross on our radio - which is odd as he didn't ever make the charts here (except for a duet) and The Four Tops were one of the few R & B groups that ever got airplay in OZ.
James Thurber 1957

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #116 on: July 01, 2005, 07:13:58 PM »

DR MBarnam -- take pictures!!

DR Vixmom -- your closing story had me in stitches. So, what happened to the couple who didn't plan on moving? Do they have some time, or are they evicted as of now?

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #117 on: July 01, 2005, 07:14:48 PM »

A whirlwind weekend in Reno? Is this our first HHW wedding?
« Last Edit: July 01, 2005, 07:15:19 PM by DearReaderLaura »

Jed

« Reply #118 on: July 01, 2005, 07:19:43 PM »

A whirlwind weekend in Reno? Is this our first HHW wedding?

The same thing Ann's mother asked when we told her of our travel plans. :D  Our answer, "Goodness, no!"  A good while until anything like that!

Besides, didn't Noel and Joy already beat us to that title?

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #119 on: July 01, 2005, 07:52:45 PM »

I watched myself in FOREVER PLAID tonight. I haven't taken that show off the shelf and watched it in quite awhile.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up