Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: OVERLOAD  (Read 25698 times)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
Re:OVERLOAD
« Reply #150 on: November 17, 2005, 03:08:26 PM »

Nay! Nay!

Television buying is MAN'S WORK!

:D

The manly man always buys his TV alone, or in the company of other manly men!
And you came by this information...how, exactly?

::)

My Mom always helped Dad build his TV sets!  She kind of had to, since he always appropriated the dining room table as the HeathKit construction area, and it was the easiest way for her to get the table back quickly.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #151 on: November 17, 2005, 03:09:12 PM »

I'm heading downstairs now to clean the bedroom areas and then into the den for some TV entertainment.

WBBL.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

td

• td
« Reply #152 on: November 17, 2005, 03:16:42 PM »

Other than hectic, busy lunches during a work shift (which were handled in the usual way: just keep moving like a shark) the one time which springs to mind as to being completely and totally overloaded was quite some time ago.
I had just finished up playing Nugget in a four week run of EQUUS, when I began my next project. The theater company which produced EQUUS, Laurel Highlands Regional (with whom I had a three year working relationship) accepted my proposal to stage Harvey Fierstien's SAFE SEX with my fellow actors Denise Pullen and Mark Calla.  Our intent was to each direct one of the one-acts and give the box office take to the Pittsburgh AIDS Task Force.  The theater agreed to a 70/30 split of the profits and we were set to go for two weekends in August.
At the time, I was working at Carnegie-Mellon, as was Denise, and my job involved walking around the campus as supervisor of dining services' Mobile Carts Units. I was in before seven and out just after four, Monday through Friday AND I had just begun a live-in relationship with someone I had met on the closing night of EQUUS.  For safety's sake, I'll call him Greg - the name which I used for his character in my play THE END OF THE WORLD ON NEW YEARS' EVE.  Greg was a skilled carpenter and worked on several films (THE DARK HALF, CREEPSHOW) which were filmed in Pittsburgh; he asked to be a part of SAFE SEX as designer and construction foreman.
As part of his plan, discussed with the theater, Greg also took it upon himself to redesign the theater's auditorium - a converted church sanctuary - by building seating platforms, creating a more indoor amphitheater feel to the place, with three moveable levels of seating platforms, reconstructing the sound/light/stage mangement booth, as well.
So in those fateful days in the 80s, I roamed the campus, went home to dinner, then off to rehearsals.  After rehearsal (I was directing "Manny & Jake") I'd arm myself with a powertool and go to the theater's basement and help on the construction of sets and platforms.  On weekends, it was more building and getting the pieces into the theater proper, as it was when I wasn't rehearsing my two actors.
At the end of the day, a quick stop at a bikers' bar for a brew was in order.  
Don't even go there!  I didn't survive through the drinking, but, from an offshoot of that drinking: POOL.  I learned to play a nice relaxing game of pool.  I didn't know that pool could be such a savior.  Thinking, skillful and sometimes arguementative, the game captured me and let me take the worries of the day out on the cue stick and the balls.  Pool also brought my first soulmate to me, for when I declared that I was tired of going to str8 bars to play and that I knew of other bars in the city with pool tables, our little troupe trooped over to The Norreh.  A private club -open all night.  Those pool sessions led to a couple of singing gigs at benefit performances.  It was during one of those gigs that I finally noticed The Norreh's bartender, John, who had  certainly been noticing Greg and I.   Not only was John an incredible person and a great bartender - he was a mean pool player, too.
So now, whenever I know that I'm about to be inundated, I find the nearest pool table, grab a partner and have a nice relaxing time.

There's so much more to this tale, but, the important parts concerning the TOPIC OF THE DAY have nearly all been told.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

td

• td
« Reply #153 on: November 17, 2005, 03:18:49 PM »

This morning I went for a walk, and this is what I saw:

DR Laura!  How far do those hawks travel?  I was greeted by a hawk when I woke up this morning, sitting in the tree outside our kitchen window.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #154 on: November 17, 2005, 03:21:11 PM »

And you came by this information...how, exactly?

My Mom always helped Dad build his TV sets!  She kind of had to, since he always appropriated the dining room table as the HeathKit construction area, and it was the easiest way for her to get the table back quickly.

I came by this information through association with OTHER manly men.  

Dude!  Take a chill pill.  The comment was tongue-in-cheek.  :-*

And it had nothing to do with "building" anything.

« Last Edit: November 17, 2005, 03:36:54 PM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

td

• td
« Reply #155 on: November 17, 2005, 03:21:40 PM »

I have a wireless mouse (not keyboard) and I use two double-A batteries.  I've had it a little less than a year and I've only had to change the batteries once...and not too long ago.  It was a Logitec brand.  Hope that helps.

Ditto.
Another option is the rechargeable batteries, you know, the kind you can get for your digital camera, walkman, etc. . .

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #156 on: November 17, 2005, 04:22:49 PM »

It's almost time to go home.

I come by this information from 1) knowing how to read a clock, and 2) knowing that the end of the day is at a specific time.

Just in case...
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #157 on: November 17, 2005, 04:45:32 PM »

I came by this information through association with OTHER manly men.  

Dude!  Take a chill pill.  The comment was tongue-in-cheek.  :-*
I thought it was obvious that my comment was tongue-in-cheek, without smilies or underlining.

And it had nothing to do with "building" anything.
Of course, true manly men are good at building things other than their credit records.  (And true manly men's wives know how to cope with their manly men.)

(Almost forgot the smilie:  :-*)
« Last Edit: November 17, 2005, 04:47:03 PM by S. Woody White »
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #158 on: November 17, 2005, 05:05:25 PM »

I am a spy!

A grocery store from a rival chain has just opened across the highway from where I work.  I couldn't resist, and dragged der Brucer with me to see what they had.

I'll admit, they have the snazziest store in Rehoboth.  Lots of mirrors (no smoke, however, in honor of the Great American Smoke-Out and, well, there's no smoking in stores or restaurants in Delaware in any case), to make the displays look even larger.

And they have a great produce department.

And they're offering loads of discounts...for the first sixty days they'll be in business.

But I have to question the wisdom of opening this week, one week before Thanksgiving.  Sure, they'll get the crowds, or at least some of them, but the staff seems horribly undertrained.  For example, we bought some items (they had a great price on steaks), including Brussels sprouts.  The checker didn't know what they were.  (No, I didn't tell her what the PLU code was, that would have been too rude.)  And she was having problems with knowing how the register worked, which isn't a good thing, particularly in the express lane.

There's also a serious problem with their parking lot.  Parking lots in Delaware are a joke anyways, but this lot has no exit!  OK, exageration, but there's a clearly marked entrance to the lot on the highway, but no exit on the highway at all.  Instead, there is a poorly marked exit on one of the side streets.

The store itself is fine.  But whoever planned that parking lot got paid plenty for nothing.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #159 on: November 17, 2005, 05:35:26 PM »

I thought it was obvious that my comment was tongue-in-cheek, without smilies or underlining.Of course, true manly men are good at building things other than their credit records.  (And true manly men's wives know how to cope with their manly men.)

(Almost forgot the smilie:  :-*)

I don't know...maybe it's just me, but the use of

isn't tongue-in-cheek or humor.  It screams out, "Oh! Brother!" to me.

It lives or dies by its placement.  And following that sentence --- "And you came by this....how, exactly?" --- came off as you being contemptuous of my statement.

I can't help it.  That's the way I read it.

But I accept your word that it wasn't your intent.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2005, 05:38:00 PM by Ron Pulliam »

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #160 on: November 17, 2005, 05:36:56 PM »

Tonight at 7 we have an HOA meeting.

Dang!  It's a week early, but Thanksgiving will do that to schedules.

I wanna go.  I don't wanna go.

I wanna go.  I don't wanna go.

No matter what, I'm outta there before 8 p.m.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #161 on: November 17, 2005, 05:47:00 PM »

Jose, I could go for some vanilla cake with chocolate frosting.  Instead I’m munching on my new addiction, Island Princess toffee coated macadamia nuts covered in milk chocolate & topped with powdered sugar.

TCB we are going on Holland America and will be traveling with friends.  Thirty days is a long time.  Where did you go?

Jane

« Reply #162 on: November 17, 2005, 06:01:48 PM »

Is this really news department:  the new Harry Potter film made the front page of The Oregonian today.  Oy.  The reviewer said it's easily the best film of the bunch.

It should be since the book was better than the previous ones.

Jane

« Reply #163 on: November 17, 2005, 06:10:51 PM »

Jennifer I like the Spoiler space.

Ben, your boss was a gem.

Jane

« Reply #164 on: November 17, 2005, 06:18:02 PM »

Vixmom, thanks for reminding me why I don’t always miss the days when the children were little.  I didn’t have a job outside the home.  I did have a husband who was rarely home and often out of the country.  I remember days when both children needed to be someplace at the same time and their mother to be with them.

See you in May, 2007. ;D

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #165 on: November 17, 2005, 06:49:51 PM »

TCB we are going on Holland America and will be traveling with friends.  Thirty days is a long time.  Where did you go?

Holland American ships are wonderful.  Great service.  The 30 day cruise I took back in 2002, was the maiden voyage of the Star Princess.  It was built in Italy, and we were told that it was too large to sail through the Panama Canal, so it was sent through the Suez Canal instead.  We picked up the ship in Singapore and traveled to Thailand, Taiwan, Hong Kong, two cities in Japan, then across the Pacific to Hawaii, and finally on to Los Angeles.  I didn't even realize it at the time, but I had broken my back prior to leaving on the trip.

« Last Edit: November 17, 2005, 06:50:57 PM by TCB »
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #166 on: November 17, 2005, 06:56:37 PM »

Good Evening!

We ran the first act today!  -Well, almost all of the first act - we need to finish up choreographing "Who's Got The Pain?"  But we ran the act, and it went pretty well for a first time.  And by the beginning of next week, we should have the second act sketched in.

Tomorrow will be a choreography clean-up day.  All dancing, all the time.

:)
Make Your Own Luck.

Jane

« Reply #167 on: November 17, 2005, 07:01:19 PM »

Jason I’m sorry your family couldn’t visit you during your difficult year.  I know how that feels and so we do our best to visit our children.  It was difficult going so long without seeing Craig, but Romania is very far.  I just read your second meltdown, maybe crying was better than loosing it some other way.

Ron, interesting overload story.

Jane

« Reply #168 on: November 17, 2005, 07:02:47 PM »

Bruce, FJL and Skip- I agree with the great review.  

JMK turn on the discovery channel and Betsey will love the new HDTV.

Cillaliz, congratulations!!!

TCB the trip sounds fantastic, one I would like to do.  Did your back ruin it for you, or should I ask if the trip is why your back never healed?

Cillaliz

« Reply #169 on: November 17, 2005, 07:05:11 PM »

Thanks Jane.  This Great smokeout is driving me crazy. Nothing is worse than every channel showing people smoking. LOL, I wonder if they realize that!

Michael

« Reply #170 on: November 17, 2005, 07:07:41 PM »

Guess Who!
Never stop dreaming.

Jane

« Reply #171 on: November 17, 2005, 07:08:22 PM »

LOL-They should show people who are dying, or very ill, from smoking.

'night

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #172 on: November 17, 2005, 07:13:54 PM »

As for the Topic of the Day...

Well, tech weeks are supposed to be "overloaded", so... I've been through plenty of those.  I'd have to say the hardest ones were when I was working on shows for my alma mater.  Since we were working around a college student's typical schedule, we never really started rehearsals until 7:00 or 7:30, which meant that tech week rehearsals would routinely go into the wee hours of the morning.

There was a time when I was in college - I forget which year right now - where I was going through one of those periods where "everything" just seemed to be closing in on me.  Classes, financial issues, family issues, personal issues... the whole shebang.  *Of course, in retrospect, a lot of "it" was just in my head, but at the time...)   Well...  I just decided to take a break from my life at that point, and I headed down to Charlottesville to visit a friend of mine. I basically went into hiding for a few days. I hung out with my friend and her friends, and basically did not give a thought to anything else going on in my life at that point and time.  Yes, the time away did end up complicating some of the other "issues", but being able to come back and face things with a clear mind and a rested body (ah, sleep!) made things a bit easier to deal with.

There were other times when I would "escape", but it was after that particular episode when I started to make concerted efforts to not take things too seriously... all the time.
Make Your Own Luck.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #173 on: November 17, 2005, 07:15:16 PM »

Bruce, FJL and Skip- I agree with the great review.  

JMK turn on the discovery channel and Betsey will love the new HDTV.

Cillaliz, congratulations!!!

TCB the trip sounds fantastic, one I would like to do.  Did your back ruin it for you, or should I ask if the trip is why your back never healed?

Actually, I always have so much pain in my back, that I never noticed the difference on the trip.  Of course, when you spend most of the day lounging by the pool, you don't have much cause to notice that your back is hurting.  Within six weeks of returning from the cruise, my back had gotten so bad, that I couldn't even lie still long enough for them to do x-rays.  I had to have two surgeries, and was off work for three months without pay.  That is the part I have never recoved from -- the debt.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #174 on: November 17, 2005, 07:28:19 PM »

DR Jason - I remember having two similar breakdowns when I was in college.  And they both happened to happen in the middle of flute lessons I was accompanying.  Both sobbing fits were the result of not letting myself cry when I needed to cry - I just kept all of it in.  So... In the middle of playing a Bach sonata, the waterworks just turned on.  Thankfully, the flute teacher was sort of a friend, and she was very understanding.  Needless to say, I was very embarrassed.  Both times.

Thankfully, most of the times I cried in my piano studio was not during a lesson.

:-\

*Nowadays, if I know I'm in need of a good cry, I will watch one of the following movies: "Cinema Paradiso", "The Joy Luck Club", or "The Color Purple".

:'(

:)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #175 on: November 17, 2005, 07:30:25 PM »

DR td - Feel free to e-mail me the details you left out of your story.

;D
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #176 on: November 17, 2005, 07:36:12 PM »

RE: Terrance Mann - I've actually hung out with him a few times at various theatre conferences.  A very nice guy, very "cas" - as in casual.  And I have to say that he cleans up very nicely.

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #177 on: November 17, 2005, 07:41:33 PM »

DR Cillaliz - Here's to the next 23... and 2300 hundred smoke-free days!  Congrats!
Make Your Own Luck.

Cillaliz

« Reply #178 on: November 17, 2005, 07:42:38 PM »

DR Cillaliz - Here's to the next 23... and 2300 hundred smoke-free days!  Congrats!

Thanks Jose, I actually got upset about something tonight and went out for a drink....but I did not smoke.  That's a real test for me.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #179 on: November 17, 2005, 07:47:38 PM »

I really want some ice cream, chocolate, cake, candy and/or cookies right now...

Must resist!  Must resist!
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Up