Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: OVERLOAD  (Read 24973 times)

Jennifer

Re:OVERLOAD
« Reply #90 on: November 17, 2005, 10:08:40 AM »

I wasn't sure if "corker" was good or bad! :)

Thanks DRs George and RonP.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #91 on: November 17, 2005, 10:08:49 AM »

I feel like half the day is gone, and yet it is only just after ten.  That is what happens when you get up at six.

Jennifer

« Reply #92 on: November 17, 2005, 10:11:49 AM »

My poor baby niece!  We went over to my sister's last night to try to take a surprise Christmas photo (we want to put the baby's picture on stamps).  We tried on sunday, but she cried.

So yesterday we made my sis go upstairs and spent 30 minutes trying to get this baby to smile with her christmas bib and hat on. But she wouldn't. :(

Well finally we had another photo shoot on her changing table (with me standing on stepladder over her).  I realized the hat was making her cry. So i just sort of arranged it on her head (without it actually being on). Now i have to choose from the 40 pics i took!

Btw, is it very hard to take pics of a baby since they move every other second!
« Last Edit: November 17, 2005, 10:12:48 AM by Jennifer »

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #93 on: November 17, 2005, 10:17:32 AM »

TOD:

I tend to get overloaded every Christmas season.  Cleaning my house from top to bottom and then decorating it, putting up my two trees, decorating the House of Mom and putting up her tree, shopping for gifts, writing out cards, baking cookies, attending school concerts, my great-niece's birthday party, my own birthday party, attending various holiday parties, wrapping gifts--Oy to the World!  By December 26 I'm a worn out rag.  But it's Christmas and I love it.

And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #94 on: November 17, 2005, 10:20:07 AM »

I'm happy to report that The Last Starfighter CD has received its first review, and it's a corker.

http://www.talkinbroadway.com/sound/nov1705.html

WONDERFUL!!!!
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #95 on: November 17, 2005, 10:20:13 AM »

Walla, walla, walla--oomph!
Tell me more, tell me more!
Did you get very far?
Tell me more, tell me more!
Like does he have a car?

And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #96 on: November 17, 2005, 10:23:33 AM »

TOD:

I tend to get overloaded every Christmas season.  Cleaning my house from top to bottom and then decorating it, putting up my two trees, decorating the House of Mom and putting up her tree, shopping for gifts, writing out cards, baking cookies, attending school concerts, my great-niece's birthday party, my own birthday party, attending various holiday parties, wrapping gifts--Oy to the World!  By December 26 I'm a worn out rag.  But it's Christmas and I love it.

That sounds like FUN!

Truth to tell, I try to get as much done as early as I can.  Cards and special gifts for the ladies in my family go out the weekend after Thanksgiving.  Each year, I send the ladies a special "seasonal" jewelry item, usually a pin.   A couple of years, I sent special Christmas ornaments, but the feedback I got was minimal.  So....

I don't decorate at home, but I put up a tree in the office, along with some lights.

My biggest ordeal is making travel plans, and then actually doing the travelling.  

Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #97 on: November 17, 2005, 10:24:50 AM »

Oh, poor Giuseppe!

He hit-a the walla!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #98 on: November 17, 2005, 10:25:23 AM »

Sometimes, it's cathartic to walla in self-pity.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #99 on: November 17, 2005, 10:27:24 AM »

Great review!

My turn to paint....walla ceiling?  
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #100 on: November 17, 2005, 10:28:23 AM »

"Corker" good.

"Lemon" bad.

"Da Bomb" good!

"Da Pits" bad!

"Aces" good!

"Bogus" bad!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #101 on: November 17, 2005, 10:28:39 AM »

I don't get it either.  You know when you audition what the schedule will be, you know it will take time - if you can't make the time, don't audition.

SINCE WHEN did it become the norm for the director to work around the schedules of cast member, or musicians, or tech people?  The world is crazy!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #102 on: November 17, 2005, 10:29:44 AM »

I think it's time for some us to realize we are still living in the 20th Century, theatre-wise.  Sad, but true.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #103 on: November 17, 2005, 10:37:54 AM »

TOD: The most overloaded I've been recently was when one of Sandra's friends was in crisis and we tried to be a support system for her. It was very draining.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #104 on: November 17, 2005, 10:38:30 AM »

This morning I went for a walk, and this is what I saw:
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #105 on: November 17, 2005, 10:38:43 AM »

That is my feeling - don't audition if you don't have the time - OR, let us know up front if there are problems, then we can make the decision to use or not use you.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #106 on: November 17, 2005, 10:52:33 AM »

That is my feeling - don't audition if you don't have the time - OR, let us know up front if there are problems, then we can make the decision to use or not use you.

Very few people have such phenomonal talent, that a WHOLE show can be planned around them.  ;D  Much rarer than some audititioners think.  ;D

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #107 on: November 17, 2005, 11:16:22 AM »

According to my Futurama calendar, today is the birthday for both Rock Hudson (1925) and RuPaul (1960).  Just had to share. ;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #108 on: November 17, 2005, 11:40:29 AM »

I have just splurged.  Yes, you heard it here first.  I just bought a 32" HDTV LCD widescreen unit.  With a nice giftcard the Tigard Pops gave me, plus various Fred Meyer coupanage, I got a $1200 unit for less than $800, so I'm not feeling too capitalistic.   ;D  Could someone in the know about these things (MattH?  TD?) email me because I have a plethora (ooh, a Howard Cossell reference) of probably stupid questions about it.

jmkauffman@aol.com

Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

vixmom

« Reply #109 on: November 17, 2005, 11:49:36 AM »

I have just splurged.  Yes, you heard it here first.  I just bought a 32" HDTV LCD widescreen unit.  With a nice giftcard the Tigard Pops gave me, plus various Fred Meyer coupanage, I got a $1200 unit for less than $800, so I'm not feeling too capitalistic.   ;D  Could someone in the know about these things (MattH?  TD?) email me because I have a plethora (ooh, a Howard Cossell reference) of probably stupid questions about it.

jmkauffman@aol.com

Very nice too!!! Congratulations on your new purchase!!

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #110 on: November 17, 2005, 11:51:58 AM »

Very nice too!!! Congratulations on your new purchase!!

I may or may not survive DS Betsy's return from work today.   ;D  Although I did warn her I was probably going to get one.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #111 on: November 17, 2005, 11:58:53 AM »

Congratulations...and good luck!! ;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

FJL

« Reply #112 on: November 17, 2005, 12:00:01 PM »

Re people auditioning - Sometimes people just audition for everything in sight, just so they can say they were offered it if that happens.  Not fair to the people involved with the show, of course, but lots of people we know love to say they were offered something but turned it down.  Human nature, I guess.

FJL

« Reply #113 on: November 17, 2005, 12:02:20 PM »

So glad that Starfighter review seemed to acknowledge BK's contributions to the industry in general.

FJL

« Reply #114 on: November 17, 2005, 12:06:43 PM »

My worst experience with overload was in law school, when we had back-to-back exams.  My first (and last, thank goodness) experience with taking caffeine pills to stay awake all night studying.   Did well on both exams, which remain on my transcript forever for what that's worth, so I guess it was the "correct" thing to do, but I felt wired and out of control for days afterwards because of the caffeine.

Ben

« Reply #115 on: November 17, 2005, 12:35:18 PM »

One month from today we will be in Dublin!!!

One week from yesterday is my last day at the office and I know, judging from past years that I won't be posting as much. I'll be on Long Island for the Thanksgiving holiday and then I'll be at the Equity office volunteering for the Stephen J. Falat Holiday Gift Basket Project and then we will be in Dublin. Once there I may not be able to post at all. We won't have a computer in the room and while there are assuredly Internet cafes in Dublin, I don't know if we will be able to post much so I need to make up for it over the next few days.

Oy, the catching up I will have to do!

Jason

« Reply #116 on: November 17, 2005, 01:04:21 PM »

I just remembered a moment of overload! It was finals week of my junior year of college - fall semester. I had my piano class final on my last day of school before I was to go home for Christmas break, and this final was VERY important. For my degree, I had to pass four semesters of class piano to move on to my required two semesters of private lessons, but here's the thing - I'm a terrible pianist. Within that week I had closed a show, taken five written exams, prepared a 6-song vocal jury (in four languages) and was dealing with a dog in our house that pooped all over the kitchen floor. When I got into the piano final, I froze. I couldn't play any of the prepared stuff properly - not even scales - but when it came to the sight-reading I did just fine. The only people in the room were my teacher and the head of the Keyboard department, and when Dr. Scott asked me if I had practiced and why was I able to sight-read better than play my prepared stuff, I broke down right then and there, crying and saying "I don't know" over and over again. And we're not just talking about babbling and a couple of tears. We're talking hunched over the keyboard with heaving shrugs kind of sobbing. The head of the Keyboard dept. looked at me with the most incredulous look in her eyes - she wasn't sure what was going on, and neither was I. My teacher - a very stern man who rarely showed any kind of affection for any of his students - patted me on the hand and said, "Well, I don't know why you're going on like this - you passed the exam" and then asked me to leave the room.  Ms. Taylor, who'd never seen such a display in a piano jury, walked me out to her office (because I think she thought I was suicidal at that point) and gave me some pictures from the show I had just done the previous weekend. After I calmed down, she gave me a hug and sent me home. I got home and just laid on the bed and bawled until I felt better, packed up my stuff and went home for Christmas.

I've never been so embarrassed in my life.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #117 on: November 17, 2005, 01:09:23 PM »

Life is funny like that.

Things set us off, and there's no "why"...

There is only "because"....

Cillaliz

« Reply #118 on: November 17, 2005, 01:12:21 PM »

There's a bit of confusion as to what day this is.

According to my calendar, today (the 17th of November) is the Great American Smoke-Out.

However, the same calendar posts tomorrow (the 18th of November) as National Great American Smoke-Out Day.

In any case, I strongly suggest climbing on the shoulders of your favorite smoker-you-wish-wouldn't, and singing a chorus of "On Top Of Old Smokey" in honor of this day, and as a fab way of dropping a hint.

Let us hope that some day soon, the only smokers we will know will be the devices used for flavoring meats.

Well, I've gone 23 days without so much as a puff....

vixmom

« Reply #119 on: November 17, 2005, 01:14:14 PM »

I may or may not survive DS Betsy's return from work today.   ;D  Although I did warn her I was probably going to get one.

Wait a minute she wasn't along for the purchase?   ::) You brave, brave, foolhardy man!

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Up