Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: OVERLOAD  (Read 24738 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
OVERLOAD
« on: November 17, 2005, 12:31:01 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes were overloaded with interesting factoids, and now it is time for you to post until the overloaded cows come home.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2005, 12:18:41 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:OVERLOAD
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2005, 12:31:37 AM »

And the word of the day is: WALLA!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2005, 12:54:25 AM »

I wish to note that the new discussion topic is not locked.  So, if it's locked in the morning, it ain't my doing.

I wish to note that no one is in the jernt but me, so it wouldn't matter if it was locked or not.

I wish to note I am toddling off to bed.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2005, 12:55:40 AM »

Walla Walla, Washington!
or
Walla Walla Sweet Onions...mmmm, good! ;D

Topic of the Day:  I have never "ever gone completely on overload..." or anything near it.  For the most part, I'm a pretty even tempered kinda guy.  I've gotten upset over things, but never blown up or been completely overwhelmed...so far. ;) You never know what can happen in the future.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2005, 12:56:08 AM »

I wish to note that in less than six hundred posts, we shall achieve our new plateau.

And now - Dino at the piano.

WALLA, baby, WALLA!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2005, 12:57:30 AM »

I'm here, but I'm still compiling songs for tomorrow's (later today's) lunch at work.  Right now, I've got Cleo Laine's "Jazz" CD.  Cleo Laine can do no wrong! (in my humble opinion) :D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Michael

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2005, 03:12:04 AM »

From yesterday I wrote and Ron Pulliam answered

Quote from: Michael S on Yesterday at 10:36:06pm
and now the Sound of Music.

I have a  2 questions

On the trailer for the rerelease was the voice over Malachi Throne?

On the comparisons section

There is text information explaining the process of the restoration. It would have been nice if it was a little more informative like the documentary Warner Bros. provides when they restore their library of classics.

The 2005 restoration vs 2005 video version. IMHO the video transfer looks better. The sky looks bluer than the film restoration. Shouldn't they be the same? WHy the difference?

Confused, I am, over this.

What are the distinctions between "restoration" and "video version" as stated above?

What "video transfer" are you talking about?  The current DVD release?  A previous one
?

So now I will clarify

The show a scene from the film and do a same time comparrision. The scene is split down the middle with the older version on the left and the newest version on the right.

One of the comparrision should the 2005 FILM restoration on the left and on the right was the 2005 Final Digital VIDEO restoration. I thought  the video transfer looked better. This is evident to me in church bells riging after the wedding and the climb every mountain finale clips. The sky looks bluer than the film restoration's. Also the grass looks greener in the climb every moutain finale Shouldn't they be the same? Why the difference? Anyone else see the difference.

The other side by comparisons include

1993 film transfer vs 2005 Film Restoration
The difference is noticable in the interior of the abby where you can see the detail of the bricks is notceable.
Never stop dreaming.

Ben

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2005, 04:06:10 AM »

Morning Larry.

Bye Larry.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2005, 04:13:19 AM »

Good morning, all!  Dear Friend BK, I send you good vibes to combat the overload!  

I think my greatest moment of overload was in 1994, after my Mother's death, and I couldn't finish the Sally Mayes' charts in time for the session, meaning the booking of an extra Saturday morning session for the brass and reeds.  My memory is that we buried my Mother on Thursday, and we started the recording the next week.  I remember scoring the "Fireworks" number in my parents' house before coming back to NYC, and Sally was angry because I didn't have time to score "When the Weather's Better."   However, Patrick Brady did a great job with it.  I also remember scoring the three Christmas on Broadway numbers for Lanny in the cafeteria of my Mother's hospital two weeks earlier and Fed Exing them to New York.  Between her death, the two recordings, maintaining a semblance of a Drama Book Shop employee, and traveling back and forth to Ohio, I was a mess.

You were fantastic about it, although I'm sure that privately you were looking through the yellow pages for a hit man.

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2005, 04:13:48 AM »

Morning Larry.

Bye Larry.

Howdy, Ben!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ben

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2005, 04:19:39 AM »

Jason, I think I will skip Giant this evening. I'm not overloaded but I do have things here at work that need to be finished before the big vacation and I think I need to relax at home for the evening instead of laughing at a woman in a green tinted wig.

Ben

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2005, 05:26:43 AM »

This post was rescued by doing it in Wordpad. I clicked Post, it took forever and then came up "Cannot Find Server". Well, here it is again, folks. My tale(s) of woe.

I had two episodes of overload, one not so serious and the other a wake up call.

In college I pulled an all nighter to try and finish a lighting project. I was not and am not technically savvy and all the shop classes in the theatre department were difficult. Lighting was a reall bear. Between all my other classes and trying to design a lighting project for Virginia Woolf I overextended myself and almost passed out one morning in class. Not so bad, I'm here to tell the story.

10 years ago, in January of 1995, I was promoted to a management position at my current place of employ, The Foundation Center. I had risen through the ranks fairly quickly and my boss at the time thought it would be a good fit. It was one of the absolute worst times of my entire life. I hated it almost from the beginning and instead of asking for help I tried to struggle through on my own. I was working seven days a week including full days on Saturday and Sunday. No one knew I was coming in but all that work wasn't helping. I just kept falling farther and farther behind to the point that in May of 1995 I woke up one day and knew that if I went into the office something very unpleasant would happen. I packed a bag and went to LaGuardia airport. I was going to go back to Minnesota because my sister's wedding was in a month anyway and that seemed a good plan. I got to the ticket counter and the clerk said a one-way ticket to Minneapolis would be approximately $800. I remember distinctly saying to myself (and out loud) "I may be falling apart but I'm not crazy" I walked away from the counter and decided, since US Air was just a terminal away and they had an hourly shuttle to DC that I would go there and decompress. I went to DC and took the subway into the city getting off at DuPont Circle. I went to a bookstore and looked at guide books and found a couple of guest house addresses. I walked to the first one, they had a room and I signed in. I called my boss and left a slightly hysterical phone message, I called one of my sisters in Minneapolis and I called a friend in DC. She still remembers my phone message. I said, "Hi, Kren, I'm in DC. I think I quit my job" I cried, a lot, slept for the first time in weeks and woke up actually feeling like I could survive. I was hungry for the first time in weeks. I ate (something I had not been doing) and then played tourist. I went to the National Zoo and saw the Pandas. I went to the Folger. I wandered all over and realized I had made the right decision. I stayed in DC for two days of complete relaxation. I came back to the city and almost everyone at the office was very supportive and understanding. There was one person who initially was supportive but as time moved on she became difficult and unpleasant. My initial plan was to come back in a much diminished position (my boss asked me to stay the summer) and help clean up the mess. I agreed but as weeks turned into months and other opportunities came along I decided that it wasn't such a bad place after all (I also met Anthony during this time and thought maybe a move back to Minnesota wasn't the best idea), as long as I wasn't doing what I had been doing. The administration wanted me to stay and we worked out a position and here I am, 10 years later still at the same place but in a different position. It's something I'm completely comfortable doing and I can continue for a long time. If I had stayed in the original position, I don't know what would have happened other than I would have had an even worse breakdown, I imagine.

End of story. And now I must get back to work (again).

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2005, 05:52:37 AM »

There's a bit of confusion as to what day this is.

According to my calendar, today (the 17th of November) is the Great American Smoke-Out.

However, the same calendar posts tomorrow (the 18th of November) as National Great American Smoke-Out Day.

In any case, I strongly suggest climbing on the shoulders of your favorite smoker-you-wish-wouldn't, and singing a chorus of "On Top Of Old Smokey" in honor of this day, and as a fab way of dropping a hint.

Let us hope that some day soon, the only smokers we will know will be the devices used for flavoring meats.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Ginny

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2005, 06:22:29 AM »

Thursday greetings from wintery SW Ohio!  It's very cold and I drove to work this morning in snow flurries.

TOD - Overload usually takes a physical toll on me.  Sometimes I get an awful rash on my hands, sometimes bronchitis or pneumonia.  The one time I've had elevated blood pressure, my doctor asked what was going on in my life.  I said, "Well, I'm recovering from oral surgery, my Mom is across the street having oral surgery, my husband is retiring and having shoulder surgery this week, and I have new job responsibilities."  He told me to come back in a month or so, at which time my BP had returned to normal.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2005, 06:22:56 AM by Ginny »
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2005, 06:28:05 AM »

Overload?  I dont have time for overload, I have a full time job, complete with 60 mile round trip commute,  a house, a husband who needs to get to the cardiologist, and a child who needs to get to music lessons, and choir rehearsal and Confirmation Class and Girl Scouts and dancing school, and Youth Group and play rehearsal and the Santa Lucia rehearsal and friends' houses, and the library for research and the craft store for some school project and there's the PTA meeting and the Youth Group Parents Meeting and the Luther League Quake trip meeting and then we have to plan the Sunday School lesson to teach Sunday morning  and the Girl Scouts nuts are in so let's go pick those up and  you sold how many cases?! Wrll Iguess that's good you were the high seller for the troop . Okay now lets divide those up and call everyone who bought and deliver those and get the money in by when?  WHEN?! Ok, well we're  just going to have to get that done by tonight because Saturday we'll be in the City for the Girl Scouts trip and the meeting to make the costumes for the Town Christmas Tree Lighting parade is Tuesday, we need a red sweatshirt and red turtleneck and black sweatpants witha white stripe down the side?  I think a trip to Walmart will take care of all of that ,okay oh and th Thanksgiving basket to donate for the church is due so lets get that stuff bought and put together.  Oh and Ryan's birthday party is Sunday we have to get a present and a card.  Do we have any clean socks to wear? Well I don't care if they match exactly, your father is shellacing a shelf in the basement  so I can't run the dryer or we'll all blow up  or something  from the fumes or at the very least all the clothes will smell like shellac so wear what's in your drawer... No, I don't care what color socks you wear who 's looking at your socks anyway?  Okay I'll drive you to school. I need gas.Who ate all the bread? No, of course I cbought it to eat but you have to tell me when you eat it all so I can buy more. Who put the empty milk container back in the refrigerator?   Does nobody in this house know how to unload the dishwasher besides me?

Overload?  Sorry, no time for it.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2005, 06:29:12 AM by vixmom »
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2005, 06:35:59 AM »

I'm up, I'm up.  I was planning to get up at seven, but the phone rang at six - Tower Records in NY - I've been trying to get paid on CDs they've sold over the last three months.  Apparently, this fellow was in the dark about that (I'd been told calls had been made).  So, as soon as he gets his Last Starfighter order, then he'll start dealing with the payment.  Apparently, the normal way they do it is that the consignee has to come into the store in person.  I told him that wouldn't be happening and that we were never told that.  He'll deal with it (as he put it, we're the show music buyer's "guys"), but it's complicated.  Hopefully, all this will get sorted out in the next few weeks, because they have over 250 CDs, and I'd have to imagine that at least fifty of them have sold, a not insignificant amount.

The thing about overload is that you either deal with it, or go to the hospital, having had a breakdown.  I deal with it, although as the overload gets larger, I get more unpleasant when things aren't done the way I need them to be done.  Last night, for example, I was REALLY unpleasant, but I would have been very SWEET had the things been done.  

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2005, 06:36:12 AM »

It's EARLY!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2005, 06:38:22 AM »

Can one of our New Yorkers get me the address (with zip) of Tower Lincoln Center?  It will save me scads of time going through invoices.  Thanks.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2005, 06:40:15 AM »

Never mind, I found it in an e-mail.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2005, 06:42:24 AM »

And ALWAYS save long posts!  In Word or WordPad, but the easiest way is just to highlight your post, click "apple C" for mac users, or Ctrl C for other users.  That puts it in cut and paste - if the post doesn't go through, you just click "apple V" or ctrl V and voila, you've got the post back.

Jennifer

« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2005, 06:44:47 AM »

BK, congrats on getting the play cast. I know who Matthew Ashford is.  My gosh he has been on and off Days of Our Lives forever.  I used to watch it when I was a teenager and he was on!

Ben

« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2005, 06:48:00 AM »

All that work for nuttin'  ;D

Tower Records
1961 Broadway
New York, NY 10023
(212) 799-2500

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2005, 06:52:24 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~DON"T LET THEM DRIVE YOU CRAZY VIBES~~~~~ [/move] FOR BK
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

Ginny

« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2005, 07:01:56 AM »

:o  DR vixmom - You need to join Jane and me at Flanigan's Inn for that retreat we were talking about yesterday!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2005, 07:16:09 AM »

Congratulations on the cast for the play!  I don't know these guys!  But I have heard of them both!  And of course, Miss Tammy Minoff.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Ginny

« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2005, 07:18:11 AM »

DR Ben - My DH Richard and I both walked away from management positions that other people thought were "good fits."  Neither of us has ever regretted doing so.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2005, 07:18:24 AM »

I am not too sure about the "restoration" comparison, etc, on THE SOUND OF MUSIC, but I finally asked someone about a similar question after watching the JOURNEY TO THE CENTER OF THE EARTH dvd.

I was told - if it is true - that in a video restoration, the film itself is not touched - it is transferred to video form which is then tweaked.  A film restoration is, of course, a tweaking using actual film elements.

I think.....

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2005, 07:20:10 AM »

Just been on overload a couple of times, and certainly nothing as dramatic as DR BEN's story.  Whew!

Just doing a heavy work schedule, traveling for a workshop, and directing a play all at the same time.

The only way I can do it, is by blocking my time - and concentrating on ONLY what is happening in that block of time.  When I am directing, I don't think about my job, when I am traveling I don't think about my play (unless I have down time) - usually works for me.

Ben

« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2005, 07:29:41 AM »

Yes, Ginny, I don't regret leaving the position at all. The money I would be getting now would not make up for it in the least because I see the person who was eventually hire to replace me and what she has to do just confirms my belief that I would have self-destructed had I hung on as manager.

Ben

« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2005, 07:30:35 AM »

Oh, heck. Let us keep moving. Onward and upward to page 2 (almost)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up