Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 14   Go Down

Author Topic: SHAZAM!  (Read 33394 times)

Emily

Re:SHAZAM!
« Reply #210 on: January 10, 2004, 05:59:43 PM »

Oh and by the way... Brooks did not look anything like what I pictured him as from his voice on the cast album for SFANW.

Don't you hate it when that happens?

Just don't get me started on when I first saw a picture of Garrison Keillor... it scarred me for LIFE!
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Michael

« Reply #211 on: January 10, 2004, 06:02:23 PM »

I am well into January 2002 and so far there is at most a handful of postings for each day. Did most of them disappear when the there was a switch over to the new server?
Never stop dreaming.

Danise

« Reply #212 on: January 10, 2004, 06:04:07 PM »

Good evening all.

I LOVE the artwork for the book!  Wish I could be that creative.

I didn't have much luck today.  

I could find anything for the wedding gift within my budget.  I'm all for giving a nice gift but there wasn't anything on the register under $50.00!   I think I’m just going to get a gift card for $25.00 and leave it at that.

I tried to make the book work on my PDA but couldn't.  Guess I'll just have to get used to scrolling from one side to the other.  It won’t convert to “tag” whatever that means.  

Burrrr it’s COLD here in Florida!  41 as I type this and we have a wind chill advisory.  It makes me feel really bad to think about what I thought I saw on the way home from the mall.  Now I only caught a glimpse out of the corner of my eye but as I passed a pasture, I saw a cow laying down and something trying to get up behind it.  I think it was a calf that had just been born.  Poor baby to be born on such a cold day and night like this.

I keep fighting with myself about going back and taking another look to see it that IS what I saw. If it was what I thought  I pray the person who owns the cow/calf will come and take them to a nice warm barn.   I don’t know what I could do about it even if it was but I want to  do something so badly.  

My dad was a real softie when it came to the animals.  I know your going to laugh but I remember a night like tonight when we moved the kitchen table to between the living room and  the kitchen, then we lined the kitchen floor thick with newspapers and brought the 2 cows & pony into the house to be warm.     My mom almost had a fit but she was pretty good about it.  She didn’t want them to be cold either.

She was pretty good about most things I or he brought home over the years.  I know I was pushing it the time I brought the rat home but she changed her tune from, “Get that nasty thing out of here” to “What are we going to feed it” pretty quick.

So far as the Special K “diet goes–it’s on the back of the cereal box.  I was watching a program earlier tonight about the low carb diets.  I don’t know how I got on that channel but anyway, I think I’m going to try the South Beach diet.  It sounded pretty easy to follow and healthy.  

I already went to the web site and liked what I read there.  I just  need to go find the book at Half.com or maybe E-bay.    

Where else should we be?

Alone?  Who's alone?  I've got my TV, my DVDs, my CDs, my LDs, my PC and this forum.

If worse came to worse, I'd pick up the phone and call someone.  But "alone" is not a problem for me.

I have to agree.  It's just my Mom (and she's already in bed), the dogs and me.  I've never been one for going out–especially at night.  I'd rather be home and comfortable.

I had a thought about OZ.  Here in the Northern hemisphere, the further North you go the colder it gets.  Does it do the same in OZ only the further South you go?
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #213 on: January 10, 2004, 06:04:35 PM »

The designers tonight were Doug and Rick and the carpenter was Ty.  As DRJose said, the designs were interesting!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #214 on: January 10, 2004, 06:06:33 PM »

Thanks again, friends, for the warm thoughts.  We've been trying to keep busy so as not to think.

Re skating: DR Sandra and I watched skating this afternoon -- we saw the tour of "Starlight Express." It was, uh, interesting.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #215 on: January 10, 2004, 06:08:51 PM »

For the first time in a couple of months, I'm grilling steaks on my balcony.

All for the lack of a grill pan, too!  I'm "into" Tyler Florence's indoor grilling techniques, but I lack the proper grill pan to do justice to N.Y. strips.  

Never fear:  A proper pan has been ordered.  When we are in rainy season, November through May, it's the rare Saturday when it's not raining here.  Today is such a rare day.

Michael

« Reply #216 on: January 10, 2004, 06:18:33 PM »

Here is an old trivia question anyone remember the answer???

What Tony-award winning Broadway performer (between the years 1970 and 1995) got her start by dubbing another actresses' singing voice in a film? Name the performer and the film. Bonus points if you can name the Broadway musical star who dubbed Jean Paul Belmondo's voice in the classic French film, That Man From Rio.
Never stop dreaming.

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #217 on: January 10, 2004, 06:22:07 PM »

Hello everyone from my parent's house in very snowy eburg.  I have  read the first half of today's notes, but my eyes are hurting so I'll take a break now.  
DRLaura, my deepest sympathies on your pet loss.  I came home yesterday to find my little Shy had died that morning.  My parents held him at the end, for which I am grateful.  Even though he was only a rodent, he was a precious pet to me, and I shall miss him greatly.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #218 on: January 10, 2004, 06:22:14 PM »

DR Danise I am still puzzled by the question you posted on the DVD site...grrrrrrrrrrr.  Someone MUST know the answer!

Michael

« Reply #219 on: January 10, 2004, 06:24:04 PM »

From another column

What if Stephen Sondheim, at the time of A Funny Thing Happened On The Way To The Forum, had written Sweeney Todd instead? And it goes something like this (to the tune of Comedy Tonight):

Something with razors,
Something with meat pies,
Something for everyone
In Sweeney Todd tonight!

We've got Johanna,
We've got Judge Turpin,
Watch out! The blood will flow
In Sweeney Todd tonight!

Nothing that's cute,
Nothing that's sweet.
You'll see it's true
You are what you eat!

You'll find the story,
Gets pretty gory,
You'll find that nothing turns out right...
Company tomorrow
Sweeney Todd tonight!

People get shaved here,
No one gets saved here,
No one finds happiness
In Sweeney Todd tonight!

Old Mrs. Lovett,
Thinks nothing of it,
To bake a little priest
In Sweeney Todd tonight!

Todd gets revenge,
Turpin's the prize,
One thing's for certain,
Everyone dies...

No pretty sets here,
No safety nets here,
Nothing that's breezy and/or light...
Merrily tomorrow,
Sweeney Todd, Sweeney Todd, Sweeney Todd,
Sweeney Todd, Sweeney Todd...
Tonight!

Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #220 on: January 10, 2004, 06:27:28 PM »

Here is another One.

What If Frank Loesser had written Sweeney Todd? And it goes something like this (to the tune of Sit Down, You're Rockin' the Boat):

I dreamed last night that a customer named Turpin,
Came in the shop, for he spied my barber chair.
And as he sat, well, I sharpened up my razor,
For the Judge he had his jury right there!

And I said to the Judge, sit down,
Sit down, I'm slittin' your throat!
Said to the Judge, sit down,
And my razor'll work such wonders,
And your blood will flow down your fancy coat!
Sit down, sit down, sit down, sit down,

And then I dreamed Mrs. Lovett made a meat pie,
And in this pie there were fingers, toes, and knees.
And people came and they ate up all the meat pies,
So we needed more ingredients to please...

And I said to the folks, sit down,
Said to the folks, sit down,
Just relax while I strop my razor,
Just a little nick and that's all she wrote!

And still I dreamed, this time of a beggar woman,
Who sung of muffs and a jig-jig in the hay.
And as she sung, well I realized, she's crazy,
How could I have known this was Judgment Day?

And I said to my wife, sit down,
Said to my wife, sit down,
And I suddenly felt the panic
Of a sinking man on a sinking boat
Sit down I'm slittin' my throat!
Sit down, I'm slittin' my throat!

If you want me to stop just tell me
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #221 on: January 10, 2004, 06:29:23 PM »

Okay Craig Brockman tried one too!

Ok Bruce, you asked for it.. you got it.. here goes... What IF Sondheim used the music from "A Comedy Tonight" from instead of "The Ballad of Sweeney Todd"..
-----
Barber named Sweeney
Barber quite meanie
Barber hates everyone
A Murdering Tonight!

Barber with much rage
Barber with no cage
Barber set loose again
A Mudering Tonight!

Nothing but chills
Nothing like Mame
Sweeney's in london
Going insane

Old scores to settle
New lives to mettle
Meat Pies for everyone
A Murdering Tonight!

Barker and Lovett
they like to covet
They're not above it
A Murdering Tonight!

Turpin does die
pays for his crime
Lovett is next with
Sweeney behind

Jo' and her sailor
Look even paler
Confused like everybody else
Comedy Tomorrow

Murdering Tonight!

Never stop dreaming.

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #222 on: January 10, 2004, 06:29:55 PM »

I'm sorry to hear about Shy, Ann. I remember your posting about him just recently and we were all hoping you'd post a photo.

Danise

« Reply #223 on: January 10, 2004, 06:30:06 PM »

DR JRand53, I wish I could be of more help but that's all I remember.   It sure made an impression.  I didn't watch LIS until I was in my teens and it come on it afternoons when I came home from school because of it.

The same with Star Trek.  I remember the first show, "ManTrap" and sitting on my Moms lap covering my eyes every time she changed into the creature.  I didn't see Star Trek until my teens and the reruns either.
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #224 on: January 10, 2004, 06:31:00 PM »

Oh, and re the topic of the day: I don't believe I've ever seen either a Bogart or Bacall film. Or a Gregory Peck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #225 on: January 10, 2004, 06:31:27 PM »

The Museum of the City of New York is at 1220 5th Av between 103rd and 104th Streets.  

The suggested donation for individuals now is $7.  Here is a link to the site, check out the theatre collection.  My favorite exhibition is Broadway! The History of American Theater

http://www.mcny.org/visit.htm#directions
« Last Edit: January 10, 2004, 06:35:54 PM by JRand53 »

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #226 on: January 10, 2004, 06:32:18 PM »

Robin & Jane, here's another thing I've noticed about male stars of yesterday...and for that matter, the female stars.  They were adults!  The men were men, not little boys, the women had class and grace; they all had a certain maturity that so many of today's stars seem to eschew.  I mean when Cary Grant or Gary Cooper were in their twenties and early thirties...it didn't seem like you were waiting for the them to grow up.   They had savoire faire, knew how to carry themselves, conduct themselves; they had a sense of personal dignity and responsibility and composure that radiated from them.  They seemed like fully developed, mature, grown-up people.  It may be why so many of them could remain major stars for 25-30 years.  They didn't act like adolescents like so many of the stars in their twenties and thirties  (and sadly, even in their forties) do today...

Very true!

Jane

« Reply #227 on: January 10, 2004, 06:36:19 PM »

You may be even more surprised to learn that the young Bogey was considered to be a "pretty boy" by studio moguls and it kept him from getting better parts for quite a while in the 30s.

Amazing isn’t it?  However I was just expressing my opinion of his looks.  

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #228 on: January 10, 2004, 06:39:29 PM »

Well, as I sit here on the verge of attaining HHW God status, I think it would be a good time to reflect on the various milestones that have led me up up to this point.

Do any of you DRs remember this one from October 24, 2003 at 9:40:53 PM?  My very first post here on this new board:

I'm here, I'm finally here!

I'm sorry for being so errant and truant the past couple of days... CAMELOT rehearsals are going very well, but after eight hours of rehearsals, two hours of total commuting time, plus a couple of hours of post-rehearsal work (can you say, "orchestra parts"?)... And I still have a trace of jet lag in my system... In other words, I've been tired. I was hoping that I'd be back in the swing of things by this week - the second week of rehearsal - but my body is still adjusting.

I know.. Excuses, excuses....

-I also can't seem to find a small enough picture to post here...

Well... I do have some busy-work to take care of tonight... I hope to check back later tonight and catch up on all the posting. And I have two more days of rehearsal to go this "week"... And I actually think I may have to take the Metro into DC this weekend due to the protest tomorrow, and the Marine Corps Marathon on Sunday...

As for the weekly media check: Nada, zip, zero, zilch, goose-egg, 0.

Or this wonderful piece of prose from November 30, 2003, 3:01:13 AM:

Well... I guess I'll have to The Exorcist a mature, grown up chance/viewing. I'm pretty sure I'd be laughing at a lot of it - especially the low-techiness of the effects. We'll see...

Ah, Jr. Member status... very fond memories.  And I had learned to italicize.

Of course, like those who came before me, becoming a Full Member will always hold a special place in my heart.  Remember 3:19:28 AM on December 09, 2003?  Just in case you don't, here's a reminder of that very special occasion:

Oooohhh, I'm a Full Member now!

That statement is fraught with innuendo.

-I shed my Newbie status with those words.

-Ah, the errors of my youth - I was already no longer a Newbie by that post and time.

Oh, and then there was the penultimate milestone: Sr. Member.  December 23, 2003 at 1:21:03 PM will forever be etched in my memory.

YES! YES!! YES!!!

*Oh, a When Harry Met Sally reference...
-And what's this "stuff" about a stage version being produced in London with Luke Perry?

-Glad to hear that the cookies are going over so well. Truly one of my favorite recipes. I have another variation I try every now and then, and I'll see about sending you a batch of those ones too sometime.

Oh, so since I'm a "Sr. Member" now does this mean I can sit at the Big Table? Or does this just mean I get my 10% discount at Gelson's?

So, as I position my cursor over the Post button, I can already feel the change coming over me.  All the strain, sweat, tears, laughter, and cravings for chocolate, popcorn, potato chips, pistachio nuts, bridge mix, pancakes and licorice... All of them, and all of you have made this journey worth the eye-strain, the late nights, the calloused finger-tips, the sciatica flare-ups, the lousy dial-up connections, and all the innuendo.

In the esteemed words that were first passed onto me from our esteemed, svelte, guapo and omniscient BK-

"What is it, fish?"

And, finally, to borrow a phrase from a film classic-

"I'm ready for my close up..."
« Last Edit: January 10, 2004, 06:41:31 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

Michael

« Reply #229 on: January 10, 2004, 06:41:11 PM »

an amusing story from BK

I received a nice surprise in the mail, another residual check from The Faculty - some kind of showing in Spain. This check was for $0.01. It was originally for $0.02, but I have to split it with my writing partner, David Wechter.
Never stop dreaming.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #230 on: January 10, 2004, 06:42:23 PM »

So... Now... I will position my finger over my touch pad, gently manuever the cursor over the Post button, close my eyes... then apply pressure to the left button until I hear that click...

And when I open my eyes, I know life will never be the same again.  I will never be the same again...

To the HHW gods who have treaded this path before...  See you soon!
Make Your Own Luck.

Jane

« Reply #231 on: January 10, 2004, 06:42:39 PM »

My dad was a real softie when it came to the animals.  I know your going to laugh but I remember a night like tonight when we moved the kitchen table to between the living room and  the kitchen, then we lined the kitchen floor thick with newspapers and brought the 2 cows & pony into the house to be warm.     My mom almost had a fit but she was pretty good about it.  She didn’t want them to be cold either.

My kind of people.  When asked, Keith and I tell people we don't have  horses because they would have to sleep in the house with us.  That goes for cows & sheep too.

Michael

« Reply #232 on: January 10, 2004, 06:45:25 PM »

Oh, and re the topic of the day: I don't believe I've ever seen either a Bogart or Bacall film. Or a Gregory Peck.

Don;t be so proud of it. Go rent a movie! You should be embarrased to admit that.

Gregory Peck:  Gentlemen's Agreement, Spellbound, To Kill a Mockingbird, Cape Fear, Moby Dick, The Yearling, Duel In the Sun, Roman Holiday, Guns of Navarone!!!!

He has more classic films than someone like Tom Cruise will every have!
Never stop dreaming.

Jane

« Reply #233 on: January 10, 2004, 06:46:43 PM »

Oh Ann I’m so sorry about Shy.   :'( What did he look like?

Jane

« Reply #234 on: January 10, 2004, 06:49:29 PM »

Jed has the NEW option.  Is anyone else missing it? ???

Jed

« Reply #235 on: January 10, 2004, 06:50:37 PM »

Welcome new HHW God, Jose!!!  Sorry if my suitcases are clogging up the entryway, but I'm still wandering around, taking in the glorious sights from up here. :D
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Jed

« Reply #236 on: January 10, 2004, 06:54:34 PM »

As long as Michael Shayne is giving us some of BK's classic What If's, I thought I'd repost one of my own from January 2002.  I reversed what BK had earlier done, instead asking "What if Stephen Sondheim wrote Guys and Dolls?"

(to the tune of "Pretty Women")
---
Sky and Nathan, fascinating
Playing craps while dancing
Sky and Nathan, are a wonder
Sky and Nathan

Sky seducing Sarah that
so-straight-laced lady
With some help from
Bacardi

Nathan Detroit, has a show girl
Fourteen years she sniffles
Will they marry? She's still coughing
Sky and Nathan, Sky and Nathan

Nicely and the others, a-
bout their souls don't care
But for the finale they're all there
They're there…yes…

Sky and Nathan, Sister Sarah
Getting souls saved, pay the marker
More song and dance, plus some romance
Such a happy ending!
Lying gamblers, find some answers
Sky and Nathan, sir, Sky and Nathan
Here's to Sky and Nathan!

Michael

« Reply #237 on: January 10, 2004, 06:54:57 PM »

Laura:

More Gregory Peck films

The Paradine Case, McArthur, The Omen, The Boys From Brazil, Marooned, I Walk the Line, Arabeque, How the West Was Won, On the Beach.

Now I have given you a great list of films to see and when you do you'll see films by Alfred Hitchcock, Elia Kazen, Billy Wilder, William Wyler, J. lee Thompson, Stanley Donen, John Huston, King Vidor and others. You'll get an education!!!
« Last Edit: January 10, 2004, 06:56:50 PM by Michael Shayne »
Never stop dreaming.

Jed

« Reply #238 on: January 10, 2004, 06:56:19 PM »

And my other What If from 1/17/02... this time asking, "What if Stephen Sondheim wrote Fiddler on the Roof?"

(to the tune of "The Miller's Son")
---
Tzeitel married the tailor boy
Turned down Lazar and all of his poultry
And as if that's not bad enough,
They go dancing…meanwhile…

It's a stitch and some mending and they're singing all the day
While I dream of growing wealthy
I hock milk and cheese to all the customers who pass me by

It's a very short road from the girls who obey
To the stories about Fruma-Sarah
It's a very short road to the pogroms and such
And the cows that begin to go dry
In the meanwhile…

There are matches to make and more kids to be fed
And a lot in between in the meanwhile
And a Jew ought to celebrate what passes by

Now Hodel's married the rebel man
He's in jail clear off in Siberia
Oy, that Perchik, he was the one
To start dancing…meanwhile…

It's a girl and a student and they somehow fell in love
With no dreams of growing wealthy
He laughs at our customs, yet I like him and I can't think why

It's a very short time till he goes off to fight
And he leaves her at home all heartbroken
It's not much of a shock when she says that she's going to
Leave us to be by his side
In the meanwhile…

And I pull my own cart 'cuz my horse he complains
Of a pain in his leg in the meanwhile
And a Jew ought to celebrate what passes by

And Chava married the Christian boy
Now she asks me to try and accept them
But I'd rather tear out my beard
And go dancing…meanwhile…

It's a step past the line and I must turn my back
Even though he may be wealthy
She pleads, but I simply must walk away and let her cry

It's a very short time till I'll lose the last two
My young ones Shprintze and Bielke
It's a very short day till you're stuck home with none
And your wife, she just sits there and cries
In the meanwhile…

And my horse still complains of the pain in his leg
Yes, my life is quite rough
But I'll not have been dead when I die!
And a Jew, he should celebrate
Everything passing by.

And Tzeitel married the tailor boy…

MBarnum

« Reply #239 on: January 10, 2004, 06:58:05 PM »

Oh, and picked up a few new DVDs today, including season one of Curb Your Enthusiasm, Judy Holliday in It Could Happen To You, two strange Japanese Yakuza movies, Pale Flower, and Blackmail is My Life.  I've really enjoyed all these strange Japanese b-films from the sixties, so I took a chance on them.  No one in the world was making more outre and weird films than these Japanese b-film makers in that decade.  They are, in fact, sublimely weird.

BK, have you seen MANJI yet? Both JRand53 and I give it two thumbs up! Very colorful and very unusual, in a VALLEY OF THE DOLLS sort of way!
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 14   Go Up