Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 14   Go Down

Author Topic: SHAZAM!  (Read 33402 times)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
Re:SHAZAM!
« Reply #180 on: January 10, 2004, 04:59:12 PM »

OH!!! OH!!!! OH!!!

DR SWW - You're just two posts away from your voice dropping, your stomach getting flabby and your hair turning gray!!!!

What a cause for celebration, huh?

:D

Ooohhhh... And I guess I'm just a few posts away from own personal ascension.. AND it's a Trading Spaces night too!
I'm already a bass (hence the jokes about my singing sounding like Jabba the Hutt), I'm 50, and I'm a Bear.  Sounds to me that by changing to a Senior Member nothing really is going to change.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #181 on: January 10, 2004, 05:00:58 PM »

Re:  Wicked and Norbert.    However, my comment after listening to Norbert on "Dancing through Life" is that my friend Brooks Ashmanskas should sue him for vocal style infringement.  I mean, it was one thing in Last 5 Years, as JRB apparently had Brooks' voice in mind when writing that score, but this is ridiculous.

Just for the sake of argument, has your friend Brooks copyrighted his "style"?  Many singers sing similarly.

Having never heard of Mr. Ashmanskas, but having ample access to recordings by Mr. Butz, perhaps it's just wishing better luck for your friend that makes you feel that way?

What exposure did JRB have to your friend that makes you believe he had that voice in mind?  And why would he not have hired your friend if it's your friend's voice he wanted?

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #182 on: January 10, 2004, 05:01:02 PM »

DR Dan, gave I HAD A BALL another listen, and my reaction was identical to my reaction in the theater 40 years ago: nothing noteworthy about the score, no hidden gems I could hear, and not one song that I wanted to hear again after it finished playing. And Karen Morrow's voice veers flat a couple of times in the song "I Had a Ball." I know the record these albums right after they've opened when everyopne's exhausted, but ouch! Sounds like her voice was a bit out of control throughout that song.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #183 on: January 10, 2004, 05:01:18 PM »

Happy Dance, Page Seven!

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%] ;D[/move]
[move=right,scroll,6,transparent,100%] 8) 8)[/move]
[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%] :D :D :D[/move]
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #184 on: January 10, 2004, 05:03:25 PM »

Having never heard of Mr. Ashmanskas, but having ample access to recordings by Mr. Butz, perhaps it's just wishing better luck for your friend that makes you feel that way?

What exposure did JRB have to your friend that makes you believe he had that voice in mind?  And why would he not have hired your friend if it's your friend's voice he wanted?
Ashmanskas is on (and was in) Brown's Songs for a New World.  Predates Last 5 Years by a bit.  (By more than 5, as a matter of fact.)
« Last Edit: January 10, 2004, 05:07:15 PM by S. Woody White »

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #185 on: January 10, 2004, 05:08:13 PM »

We're just three hours away from the women's figure skating finals, plus tape delay of the pairs.  

I cheated and looked up the results of the pairs from last night.  Wow!  What a thrill!  What I thought should have happened after the short program (proper ranking of the best short programs instead of the pairs being "propped up") seems to have happened after the long program.  The team with the best short program won the whole competition, although they were not in the lead going in.  And the overrated top pair managed to hang onto third.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2004, 05:31:22 PM by Ron Pulliam »

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #186 on: January 10, 2004, 05:10:40 PM »

Something that bugs me:

Prior to the last Olympics, it came to my attention that one of the top ice dancing pairs is ineligible to participate in the Olympics for the U.S. because one of the skaters isn't a U.S. citizen.  

Now I learn that is still the case, plus I think the current ice dancing champion team also has an Olympics-ineligible member -- and the commentators make it sound like it's an immigration/state department holdup based on lengthy citizenship requirements, or something like that.  They can compete for the U.S. everywhere but in the Olympics, so far.

« Last Edit: January 10, 2004, 05:13:47 PM by Ron Pulliam »

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #187 on: January 10, 2004, 05:12:09 PM »

Ashmanskas is on (and was in) Brown's Songs for a New World.  Predates Last 5 Years by a bit.  (By more than 5, as a matter of fact.)

That answers that element of my ignorance of Mr. Ashmanskas.  

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #188 on: January 10, 2004, 05:13:32 PM »

Mr. Wechter got busy, stayed busy, and we've never progressed past the first fifty pages of what was a pretty funny script.  Some good songs, too.  I, of course, went off and wrote some books.

Checking out my new DVDs:  Two for the Road - sadly, not enhanced for widescreen TVs, but it looks okay and is at least on a par with the long-out-of-print laserdisc.  I really like this movie a lot.  How To Steal a Million - why this one's enhanced and Road isn't is anyone's guess, but this is a spectacular transfer.  I've never seen the film but so far I'm enjoying it.  I mean, Hepburn (Audrey), O'Toole, Charles Boyer, William Wyler, Harry Kurnitz and John(ny) Williams - even if it's terrible HOW terrible can it be?  It looks luscious, what with Alexander Trauner, Charles Lang and Givenchy.

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #189 on: January 10, 2004, 05:15:50 PM »

And Hugh Griffith, BK!  Don't forget the delightfully zany Hugh Griffith!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #190 on: January 10, 2004, 05:17:16 PM »

Yes, and he's wonderful as always.  And Williams' score is a total delight.

Laura II

« Reply #191 on: January 10, 2004, 05:17:43 PM »

DR SWW: May I call you Uncle Woody? I feel as if you have almost adopted me because you said that. You put a huge smile on my face! Thank you SO very much for taking the time to write all of that about Casablanca and to even suggest follow-up films. I will be asking my friends if they'd like to do a movie night now, and even if that doesn't work out, I will watch them on my own!
(Oh, thanks to DR Matt H for clarifying which actor is which re. the "As Time Goes By" performer. :))

DRs Jed and BK: I have had chocolate covered cherry twizzlers before. They were pretty good, just not my junk food of choice.
"I believe that my life's gonna see the love I give returned to me."

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #192 on: January 10, 2004, 05:18:12 PM »

Eye witness report, DR's... I went over to bk's to look at the cover art. It is indeed grand. Lovely, very atmospheric, something slightly mysterious about it. In the present, yet in memory. And that sky is to die for.
It's really interesting to compare the three covers and witness Benjamin grow (physically and emotionally) - and see the colors shift from primary to autumnal.
After the viewing, as  we went for lunch and a very long walk in this incredibly glorious weather, the image of the painting kept coming back to me. Very evocative.

Panni

« Reply #193 on: January 10, 2004, 05:20:53 PM »

Forgot to mention that during the long walk I bought ONE, TWO, THREE, which I haven't seen in years and am really looking forward to revisiting.

Laura II

« Reply #194 on: January 10, 2004, 05:20:58 PM »

DR Panni, I would've liked to take a walk tonight, but it is 17 degrees out!
"I believe that my life's gonna see the love I give returned to me."

William E. Lurie

« Reply #195 on: January 10, 2004, 05:21:10 PM »

Arnold---
I've been off-line since your question.  E-mail Michael@allmusicservices.com and ask for the latest list and to be added to his e-maillist for all future listings.  There are some really good bargins and some rare titles you won't find elsewhere.  You can mention my name if you want.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Panni

« Reply #196 on: January 10, 2004, 05:30:03 PM »

Robin & Jane, here's another thing I've noticed about male stars of yesterday...and for that matter, the female stars.  They were adults!  The men were men, not little boys, the women had class and grace;

Oh how totally I agree with that! Furthermore, as a writer, it's difficult to try to do scripts about anyone over 40. "Who cares?" is the prevailing attitude at the Networks and studios.

Panni

« Reply #197 on: January 10, 2004, 05:31:52 PM »

DR Panni, I would've liked to take a walk tonight, but it is 17 degrees out!

As I said earlier today, it good to be in Kaliforneea.

Jason

« Reply #198 on: January 10, 2004, 05:32:17 PM »

Mr. Brooks Ashmankas is currently playing Mr. Goldstone and Pastey in the Broadway revival of GYPSY. I love his work, and you may tell him so if you so choose, JMK--but I'll be honest, I hear a few similarities between their voices, but I can definitely tell who's who.

I got two loverly plants at the supermarket. They were cheap, but they are quite nice...just the right size for where I needed a little greenery.

I'm still in the process of cleaning. I just got rid of two huge eyesores that I've been putting off throwing out for over a year now. Now if I could just bite the bullet and throw out another year's worth of junk, I'd be in good shape!

BK: the art is fantastic. I think it's the best of the three. Mr. Schmidt wouldn't remember me (we met at a three-day musical theatre convention in Oklahoma City three years ago), but please let him know that we all think it's just lovely. Did anyone notice how many times I used the word 'three' in this paragraph??

Jason

« Reply #199 on: January 10, 2004, 05:36:30 PM »

Jose: I was already looking forward to your visit...now I really can't wait! If you can remember it, would you mind bringing that Trading Spaces video up with you, too? (Geez, I'm being awfully needy--sorry.)

Speaking of Trading Spaces...who are the designers tonight? And the carpenter? Is it a new episode? I need my Trading Spaces!!! God, how I wish I could afford cable!

Michael

« Reply #200 on: January 10, 2004, 05:41:16 PM »

Okay why are people home on a Saturday night? And what do you do on a Saturday night alone?
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #201 on: January 10, 2004, 05:41:53 PM »

The reason I am home is that I am doing a project for Mr. Bruce Kimmel.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #202 on: January 10, 2004, 05:46:39 PM »

Brooks Ashmanskas was also on the cast recording of Little Me that Bruce recorded. When I tried to post a link to his Bio page i realized it was missing so I will post the link a little later. But here is an out dated playbill bio.

Brooks Ashmanskas's Playbill Bio
BROOKS ASHMANSKAS Broadway: Little Me (Roundabout), Dream (Royale), How to Succeed... (Rodgers), On A Clear Day... (Encores!). Off-Broadway: Wise Guys (NYTW), Labor Day (MTC), Fit to Be Tied (Playwrights Horizons), Songs For a New World (WPA), London Suite (Union Square), It Changes Every Year (Malaparte), Tonight at 8:30 (Lincoln Center), Fair Fight (Naked Angels), The Holy Terror (Promenade). Regional: Rough Crossing, The Comedy of Errors (Hartford Stage), Bye Bye Birdie (Sacramento), Animal Crackers (Arena), Paper Moon the musical (Paper Mill), The Old Boy (Phoenix), Noises Off. Education: Bennington College, RADA, The Shakespeare Institute, Welsh College of Music and Drama. Thanks, Mom and Dad.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2004, 05:49:10 PM by Michael Shayne »
Never stop dreaming.

Panni

« Reply #203 on: January 10, 2004, 05:49:07 PM »

Okay why are people home on a Saturday night? And what do you do on a Saturday night alone?

I guess because I work in a home-office and don't have the regular 9 to 5 routine, Saturday night for the most part doesn't seem much different from any other night. If I have a tight deadline, I work on Saturday night (and every other night). Otherwise, I do whatever I feel like doing - sometimes with other people, sometimes alone.

Michael

« Reply #204 on: January 10, 2004, 05:52:59 PM »

It didn't take as along as I thought it would...

http://www.brucekimmel.com/ashmanskasbio.htm
Never stop dreaming.

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #205 on: January 10, 2004, 05:53:20 PM »

Where else should we be?

Alone?  Who's alone?  I've got my TV, my DVDs, my CDs, my LDs, my PC and this forum.

If worse came to worse, I'd pick up the phone and call someone.  But "alone" is not a problem for me.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2004, 05:54:05 PM by Ron Pulliam »

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #206 on: January 10, 2004, 05:53:35 PM »

DR Jason -  I will do my best to bring the "Trading Spaces" tape up, however, I can't seem to find it right now - ???  I'm soooo sorry... (I just wanted to warn you that I might be coming empty-handed in that respect.)  :( However, tonight's episode - the one that is on right now is very, very interesting - I may run out and get a blank tape so I can record the rebroadcast later.  It's that good/bad!

*And I think you can look up tonight's episode info on www.tlc.com - although, they may not post the updated episode guide until after tonight.

DR SWW - WOOF!
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #207 on: January 10, 2004, 05:54:26 PM »

People are home because this is a sparkling and safe place to be on a Saturday night, that must be it.

My pal Cary Mansfield at Varese put out two dynamite Best of Dot Records CDs.

I just sampled the chocolate covered red licorice (small bits, not vines) and it's not bad at all.  I love these posts.

Emily

« Reply #208 on: January 10, 2004, 05:55:34 PM »

call me wacky...

But while Norb and Brooks might share some vocal similarities I could probably easily identify either of them (like DR Jason).  Is it possible that Norbert has a eensy weensy bit of gravel in his?  I think so at least...

But heck... I love 'em both.

I DID however pull a blank when I was flipping through the program at GYPSY during the big NY trip.  Picture me going...

"Ashmankas... Ashmankas... why is that name familiar?"

I glanced over the bio but didn't see SFANW (I think the house lights were going down)

Then right in the middle of the cast singing "Happy Birthday" to Louise I remembered.  

I think the people behind me were curious as to why I gasped.
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Emily

« Reply #209 on: January 10, 2004, 05:57:08 PM »

Oh and Andrea...

I doubt parts II and III will be coming out anytime in the next couple of weeks.

Some day maybe... right now? Maybe if I start drafting it on the metro... :)

"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 14   Go Up