Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: THE UNSEEMLY BUTTO  (Read 26507 times)

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
Re:THE UNSEEMLY BUTTO
« Reply #90 on: January 21, 2004, 12:09:17 PM »

It is 10:00 pm in Romania and my son just called me for my sour cream cookie recipe.  I love it!  I could hardly hear him so he will call back in a few minutes.  I hope the connection is better.

Jennifer

« Reply #91 on: January 21, 2004, 12:09:47 PM »

OMG DR Emily: That is hilarious that your classmates thought George Washington was the first Prime Minister of Canada.  Although that is actually not the stupidest thing I've ever heard, especially for a 10 year old.

Btw, I know the answer, I know the answer! :)
(but i'm not American so I cannot answer).

I see now why you wrote what you did about the accent. Sometimes I write "I think" or "I believe" not to mean I'm unsure, but just because it sounds more humble :)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #92 on: January 21, 2004, 12:10:15 PM »

$3.99 for frozen nuts?
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jane

« Reply #93 on: January 21, 2004, 12:10:49 PM »

DERBRUCER I was going to make some rather negative comments on that gross picture, but then you were so nice to me in the following photo, I simply couldn’t. :)

When we lived outside Detroit I was far more aware of Canadian politics than I am now.  At that time I became aware of signs around town stating “we don’t accept Canadian money”, yet we can go just about anywhere in Canada and use American money.  It makes me feel bad we aren’t more obliging, especially in border towns.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #94 on: January 21, 2004, 12:11:08 PM »

Okay, I need to stop posting for a few hours. It's much too seductive and I have too much to do that I'm trying to avoid. (Like cleaining off my desk, doing some work-related reading, making some long-delayed phone calls... that kind of stuff.) Posting is much more fun, but I must have SELF-CONTROL!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #95 on: January 21, 2004, 12:13:03 PM »

der Brucer (who also recalls a Museum of Terror or Horror (or whatever) in the bowels of some warehouses on the East Bank of the Thames) (and also remembers some Gay clubs with similar decor 8)
Darling, those clubs were in Amsterdam, as I recall.   ::)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

MBarnum

« Reply #96 on: January 21, 2004, 12:14:44 PM »

It is 10:00 pm in Romania and my son just called me for my sour cream cookie recipe.  I love it!  I could hardly hear him so he will call back in a few minutes.  I hope the connection is better.

Sour Cream cookie recipe! Have you posted that recipe here before??? Oh, my gosh that sounds delicious!!

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #97 on: January 21, 2004, 12:15:40 PM »

JRand53: I think the overload of history is what is so great about London...Every foot you walk is steeped in centuries of history, everywhere you turn there's a plaque commemorating something or another famous building.  You should see me trying to peek into the windows of The Garrick Club on my way to Tesco's just to get a glimpse of the theatrical portraits on the wall. You're trodding over ground that Boudicca rode her war chariot, where great Kings and Queens paraded, passing the drinking holes of famous men of letters, standing where Shakespeare stood, sitting in theatres where plays like THE IMPORTANCE OF BEING EARNEST had their premiere, where Barrymore's Hamlet played, where Olivier's Hamlet and Richard the Third played, where Gielgud and Richardson performed.  I find it heady and wonderful and not daunting at all.  I remember going to a pub next to the Savoy one night with Ian Richardson after having seen him in a play, called the Coal Hole...Richardson told me it had been a favourite watering hole of Edmund Kean's.  How cool is that?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #98 on: January 21, 2004, 12:17:50 PM »

OMG - so true so true!  It's just like Lil Abner said - "You cain't spit what you don't hit a monument or somethin'!"
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Ben

« Reply #99 on: January 21, 2004, 12:18:09 PM »

DR Jane, yes we had our very own plum pudding, which we actually kept and brought back to the states. We shared it this past weekend with Anthony's parents. We were out on Long Island for the MLK holiday. Mmmm, mmmm, mmmm, I love Plum Pudding.

The rolled items are Christmas Crackers. They are held, one at each end, by two people and you both pull. The cap in the tube go off as you pull the tube apart and the person left holding the longer end gets the Christmas Crown, the groaningly (is that a word???) bad joke and a small prize (like a whistle or a toy boat, prizes similar to those in Cracker Jack boxes). Crackers are outrageously expensive here in the states but after Christmas I was able to find a box of 12 for a very good price, even considering the exchange rate, so we have Christmas crackers to last for the next few years.

Jane

« Reply #100 on: January 21, 2004, 12:19:41 PM »

I've always assumed they were more for baking. And, as I recall, they're horribly expensive. These were only $3.99.

We cook with them.  I'm nut even sure they have them all year, it just might be for the holidays.  They are good in bread stuffing & wild rice.  Keith throws them into various dishes (he is rather creative).  I substituted them for mushrooms at Christmas because my son won't eat mushrooms.  I would have preferred the mushrooms.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #101 on: January 21, 2004, 12:28:07 PM »

I have been told that Trader Joes frozen cheese blintzes are very good.  Since we can’t get Trader Joes to open a store in our area I don’t buy their frozen foods.
DR Jane: Have you checked the Trader Joe's Website?  They've got six locations in Oregon (not that any of them are necessarily near you  :-\).
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jane

« Reply #102 on: January 21, 2004, 12:28:14 PM »

Ben I always passed on the plum pudding at Christmas but I do love the Christmas cake with marzipan topping.  Don’t get sick Bruce.  I suspect my mother didn’t appreciate the loud noises because we never had Christmas Crackers when I was young.  I still have some unused charms that were meant for the pudding and I have my mother’s collection of Christmas cake decorations.  

Ben

« Reply #103 on: January 21, 2004, 12:29:33 PM »

Emily (and  Jennifer), I kept wondering what question you were talking about. I read your post but didn't realize that the question was imbedded in the comment. I went back a couple of times to re-read it, especially when Jennifer said "I know the answer". So, now I know the question "Who was the first Prime Minister of Canada?"

And the answer is:

A good Scotsman, John A. MacDonald. Note the Scottish spelling, Mac, not Mc.

I know something about Canadian history because I like history but also because my grandmother was born in Sheffield, England but emigrated across the pond when she was 12 years old. She came to Canada and lived with relatives in Windsor and at some point came across from Windsor to Detroit. My father was born in Michigan and grew up in the Detroit area. I have fond memories of crossing the Bridge or taking the tunnel to go into Canada as a child to visit my great-grandmother and other relatives.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #104 on: January 21, 2004, 12:29:56 PM »

The rolled items are Christmas Crackers. They are held, one at each end, by two people and you both pull. The cap in the tube go off as you pull the tube apart and the person left holding the longer end gets the Christmas Crown, the groaningly (is that a word???) bad joke and a small prize (like a whistle or a toy boat, prizes similar to those in Cracker Jack boxes). Crackers are outrageously expensive here in the states but after Christmas I was able to find a box of 12 for a very good price, even considering the exchange rate, so we have Christmas crackers to last for the next few years.

So, in other words, Ben, what you are saying is that as usual the guy with the bigger end gets the prize?
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Jane

« Reply #105 on: January 21, 2004, 12:39:36 PM »

Old-Fashioned Sour Cream Cookies
3 cups sifted all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
1 cup soft butter
1½ cups sugar
2 eggs
1 cup sour cream
1 teaspoon vanilla

Topping:
8 teaspoons sugar mixed with
3 teaspoons cinnamon

Sift flour, powder, soda & salt; set aside
At medium speed, beat butter, sugar & eggs until light & fluffy
At low speed beat in sour cream and vanilla until smooth
Gradually beat in flour mixture until well combined
Refrigerate 1 hour.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees,
Lightly grease cookie sheet
Drop batter by slightly rounded tablespoons onto cookie sheet
Sprinkle with topping
Bake 10-12 minutes until golden brown.

These can be frozen.  In fact, when I’m in the mood, I prefer them that way.

« Last Edit: January 21, 2004, 12:49:20 PM by Jane »

Jennifer

« Reply #106 on: January 21, 2004, 12:41:51 PM »

Emily (and  Jennifer), I kept wondering what question you were talking about. I read your post but didn't realize that the question was imbedded in the comment. I went back a couple of times to re-read it, especially when Jennifer said "I know the answer". So, now I know the question "Who was the first Prime Minister of Canada?"

Oh, I'm sorry we spoke about the question without making it clear.

I erased your answer. But of course you are right.

Yeah for DR Ben: you are two for two!

Ben

« Reply #107 on: January 21, 2004, 12:43:07 PM »

TCB: You got it big guy.

Jane: Sour Cram cookies :-) They still sound great!

Tomovoz

« Reply #108 on: January 21, 2004, 12:43:47 PM »

Happy Birthday Minx from Fosca & Magnus. (and from Colin and me too).
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jane

« Reply #109 on: January 21, 2004, 12:44:37 PM »

DR Jane: Have you checked the Trader Joe's Website?  They've got six locations in Oregon (not that any of them are necessarily near you  :-\).

LOL-oh yes.  A couple of years ago I went to Eugene, the closet Oregon location, with a group of friends.  We took coolers that day but they were out of the frozen blintzes.  Petitions have been sent to Trader Joes to open a store in the area.  Last I heard they have decided to open a store in Redding, Calif. which is closer than the 3 hour drive to Eugene but not as interesting.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #110 on: January 21, 2004, 12:44:41 PM »

Jane -- If I didn't have so much respect for you, I would make a comment about the name of your cookies.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Jennifer

« Reply #111 on: January 21, 2004, 12:45:56 PM »

I'm curious about those sour cream cookies. Do they taste similar to anything I might have tried?

Jane

« Reply #112 on: January 21, 2004, 12:47:28 PM »

TCB I'm baffled ???  But then my mind doesn't work like yours does. :)

Tomovoz

« Reply #113 on: January 21, 2004, 12:52:01 PM »

TCB's mind works?
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Joy

• I want to be a horsie.
    • Our Wedding:  The Musical
« Reply #114 on: January 21, 2004, 12:53:12 PM »

I'm curious about those sour cream cookies. Do they taste similar to anything I might have tried?
On the heels of TCB's comment....er....nevermind. ;)
Farmer, pointing the way with radish.

Jane

« Reply #115 on: January 21, 2004, 12:53:57 PM »

Thanks Ben.  I've got it now :).  I modified my post to read cream, not cram.

Jennifer I served these at a large party once and people said those were the best snickerdoodles they had ever had and asked for the recipe.  I am not a fan of snickerdoodles and it took me a moment to figure out what they were talking about.  Hope that helped you.

Ben

« Reply #116 on: January 21, 2004, 12:54:39 PM »

Ah, Jane, I will have to go back up and edit my comment. Or, I could just leave it and see if people notice.

td

• td
« Reply #117 on: January 21, 2004, 12:57:57 PM »

He was my waiter!

Yes, but DID YOU HAVE HIM?
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Jennifer

« Reply #118 on: January 21, 2004, 12:59:11 PM »

Um, I've never heard of a snickerdoodle.

I'm almost afraid to ask what they taste like for fear someone might say "well they are like sour cream cookies". :)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #119 on: January 21, 2004, 01:00:04 PM »

Here is this week's Christopher Meloni picture of choice.
I could have put one of his "unseemly butto" OUT of underwear snapshots up but this being a family site, I chose this one instead.

« Last Edit: January 21, 2004, 01:01:36 PM by Matt H. »
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10   Go Up