Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: BEWARE THE IDES OF AUGUST  (Read 21559 times)

Cillaliz

Re:BEWARE THE IDES OF AUGUST
« Reply #120 on: August 08, 2006, 04:27:15 PM »

It makes 2 pies, you can store them in your freezer

Cillaliz

« Reply #121 on: August 08, 2006, 04:30:55 PM »

LOL, she told me the Peanut Butter Pie recipe was a secret.  I said, "Not any more"  She could have told me that a long time ago,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #122 on: August 08, 2006, 04:38:18 PM »

Finished my afternoon viewing with the Biography program on Truman Capote. Of course, this was produced before the movie CAPOTE so there's no mention of that. But it's a nicely compact summary of his life and times.

Was there any hint or suggestion in the Biography program that he might have been homosexual?
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #123 on: August 08, 2006, 04:41:52 PM »

Here's the recipe. Mom said to tell you there are lots of brands of cake mixes, but Pillsbury seems to work the best.

Chocolate Pie
1 Pillsbury Devil's Food cake mix
1 can Pillsbury Chocolate Fudge Frosting
3/4 cup water
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/2 gal vanilla ice cream (I think it would tast good with any flavor)

Mix 3/4 cup frosting, water, oil and cake mix.
Put in 2- 9 inch pie pans (this will form the crust)
bake at 325 degrees for 20-25 minutes
cool
Soften ice cream. Spread over cool crust.  Freeze hard.
Spread remainder of fudge over the top
Freeze.....enjoy

Thanks for posting this!  At work, we're having a b-b-q potluck on Thursday.  I think that I might just try this! ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #124 on: August 08, 2006, 04:42:21 PM »

H
A
P
P
Y

B
I
R
T
H
D
A
Y,

“One thing’s universal,

td

• td
« Reply #125 on: August 08, 2006, 04:42:36 PM »

I'd worry more about who is the fatted calf!   :o

It ain't me, babe. . .I've dropped thirty-five pounds! (I call it the Wal*Mart Diet:  one meal daily, several Special K Bars, lots of water and maybe a Snickers).
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #126 on: August 08, 2006, 04:44:10 PM »

D
E
R
B
R
U
C
E
R
!
!
!
[/color]
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #127 on: August 08, 2006, 04:45:43 PM »

A
N
D

M
A
N
Y

M
O
R
E
[/size][/b][/color]
“One thing’s universal,

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #128 on: August 08, 2006, 04:45:58 PM »

It makes 2 pies, you can store them in your freezer

Ahh...I was thinking (since you didn't specify in the recipe) that the second cake-crust was put on top of the ice cream to make the top of the pie crust and then the frosting would go on top of that.  Thanks for the clarification.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #129 on: August 08, 2006, 04:47:18 PM »

Okay, can someone make the Peanut Butter Pie and Fed Ex it to me?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #130 on: August 08, 2006, 04:51:13 PM »

I wonder what the food situation will be at the birthday party this evening.  I've only eaten the fried catfish sandwich (which, I was suprised to discover) only had three tiny little pieces of catfish), so that's not all that much.  However, I'll try to be very, very good and maybe only have a dessert rather than food I don't really want - unless, that is, there IS food that I really, really want.  I think this is going to be a huge party with lots and lots of people, and since it's a 50th, I think everyone's going to have to get up and say something and maybe they'll have a video and I may just have to escape after an hour or so.  I do not like crowded parties - they drive me crazy.

Tomorrow night will be similar - the opening night parties at the Ahmanson are hugely crowded affairs and I get really claustrophobic.  You can never get to the food table, either.  

MusicGuy

• ...at an audition to accompany Guy Haines...
« Reply #131 on: August 08, 2006, 04:55:28 PM »

DR Ginny.....for the span of the years that you mentioned, I was already gone from Organ Stop in Phoenix.  I was resident there from 1973 to 1978.

MusicGuy

« Reply #132 on: August 08, 2006, 04:58:16 PM »

Hello to DR Rodzinski (sorry if the sp. is wrong)....... I can't believe that you actually have a George Wright record!!  Even though he was one of my main mentors and also a friend, the field of theatre organ music is incredibly tiny and esoteric.  

I also agree with you -- the cover to "Have Organ, Will Travel" is a really great art piece .  

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #133 on: August 08, 2006, 05:12:16 PM »

td-35 pounds, congratulations!  Will you be in NY between Oct. 3rd & 8th?

Cillaliz

« Reply #134 on: August 08, 2006, 05:19:03 PM »

Ahh...I was thinking (since you didn't specify in the recipe) that the second cake-crust was put on top of the ice cream to make the top of the pie crust and then the frosting would go on top of that.  Thanks for the clarification.

Yup you get 2 pies.  The chocolate are 9 inch pies. The peanut butter are 2- 8 inch pies or one big one.

Jane

« Reply #135 on: August 08, 2006, 05:21:05 PM »

Last year Danise advised me to join the Choice Privileges rewards program, which I did.  This year when I booked my room at the Comfort Inn I had enough points for two free nights but was told to call back in July for them.  Now I’m told they don’t book more than 30 days prior to your stay and my points are only good for one night.  Also, it might change the rate of the room for the other nights, depending on the hotel’s policy.  

At least, according to choice privileges, they still have my reservation on file.  Maybe I should check the hotel.  

Cillaliz, did you speak to the hotel or reservations?  I really hope you stay at the Comfort Inn.

Cillaliz

« Reply #136 on: August 08, 2006, 05:24:56 PM »

Last year Danise advised me to join the Choice Privileges rewards program, which I did.  This year when I booked my room at the Comfort Inn I had enough points for two free nights but was told to call back in July for them.  Now I’m told they don’t book more than 30 days prior to your stay and my points are only good for one night.  Also, it might change the rate of the room for the other nights, depending on the hotel’s policy.  

At least, according to choice privileges, they still have my reservation on file.  Maybe I should check the hotel.  

Cillaliz, did you speak to the hotel or reservations?  I really hope you stay at the Comfort Inn.

I've been speaking to the manager of the hotel. Her name is Ranji. The Choice website/privileges still has my reservation on the internet, but the hotel had no record of it.  I really think we'll stay at the Milford Plaza, but it's only a couple blocks and we have cell phones. It' ist'n that big a deal

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #137 on: August 08, 2006, 05:25:12 PM »

I'd worry more about who is the fatted calf!   :o

I'd suspect the DR with the 10 lousiest films list!

Yep, the bitch is back!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

MusicGuy

« Reply #138 on: August 08, 2006, 05:25:27 PM »

Dear esteemed, quixotic, mysterious, hunkolicious, and sinewy BK --

One highlight of this past week's trip to cabaret land (also known as Los Angeles), was when I was subjecting DRs Laura & Sandra & Kerry to one of my rambling car tours around L.A..  I love to point out various historic sites, buildings used for film or TV locations, etc.

Well as we were driving on 8th street, I suddenly pulled to the curb and told everyone "...OK, we have to get out here!"  They all thought I was crazy, until I told them that we were going to walk across the street (in the middle of the block!), and then we would be standing in front of the very real, very actual Erro restaurant.  No, we couldn't go inside and eat shrimp cocktail shrimp out of the barrel like Benjamin used to.  But we were here just the same.  

After looking closely at the front of the building for a bit, I turned around and my eyes really widened and I smiled a huge smile.  From standing in front of the Erro and looking north, I could see the blue-green top part of the Wiltern Theatre building.

That means, in December, 1964, if Benjamin had been coming out of the Erro around 10:00 in the morning, he could have walked a few blocks over to the Wiltern and come in and heard my very first public concert!

What a great Los Angeles driving tour we had.....and with wonderful Kerry sitting next to me!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #139 on: August 08, 2006, 05:28:01 PM »

I also agree with you -- the cover to "Have Organ, Will Travel" is a really great art piece .  

Is that a Johnny Wadd film?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Cillaliz

« Reply #140 on: August 08, 2006, 05:30:50 PM »

Welcome Home ELMORE!!!!

Ginny

« Reply #141 on: August 08, 2006, 05:31:20 PM »

DR Elmore - glad to see that you've arrived home safely.  Did you have a smooth trip?
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

MusicGuy

« Reply #142 on: August 08, 2006, 05:35:55 PM »

the TOD:

1.  Some Like It Hot
2.  The Sunshine Boys
3.  A Little Romance
4.  Swingtime
5.  On Golden Pond
6.  The King & I
7.  North By Northwest
8.  A dub of our home movie of DR Kerry & I in Italy in 1976
9.  The Godfather (compilation of all 3)
10.  Desk Set

Of course, for DR Kerry and I, I would want very good audio and video equipment on this island, electricity, hot & cold running water, someplace to order really good Chinese, and our sleep number bed and Sugar (our dog).

Ginny

« Reply #143 on: August 08, 2006, 05:37:47 PM »

DR Ginny.....for the span of the years that you mentioned, I was already gone from Organ Stop in Phoenix.  I was resident there from 1973 to 1978.

Well, for some reason your name was real familiar when I saw it on the CD's.

Looking at all the info about theater organs also made me think of a place that used to be here in SW Ohio - The Shady Nook.  It was a restaurant between Cincinnati and Oxford, OH (where my DH Richard and DR Elmore went to college).  You'd sit at tables around this pit from which the WLW Moon River Organ would ascend.  What fun and how sad that the place has gone out of business.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

td

• td
« Reply #144 on: August 08, 2006, 05:45:48 PM »

td-35 pounds, congratulations!  Will you be in NY between Oct. 3rd & 8th?
Uh, noooooo.  I'll be in NYC between October 19th and 24th. . .(unless Alice and Emily move their concert up a couple of weeks).

td

• td
« Reply #145 on: August 08, 2006, 05:48:29 PM »

This is me, thirty-five pounds lighter, after a swim and before THE CAKE. . .

Jane

« Reply #146 on: August 08, 2006, 06:01:41 PM »

td you look great.  

Darn and double darn, I'll miss you in NY again.

Jane

« Reply #147 on: August 08, 2006, 06:11:45 PM »

Well as we were driving on 8th street, I suddenly pulled to the curb and told everyone "...OK, we have to get out here!"  They all thought I was crazy, until I told them that we were going to walk across the street (in the middle of the block!), and then we would be standing in front of the very real, very actual Erro restaurant.  No, we couldn't go inside and eat shrimp cocktail shrimp out of the barrel like Benjamin used to.  But we were here just the same.  

After looking closely at the front of the building for a bit, I turned around and my eyes really widened and I smiled a huge smile.  From standing in front of the Erro and looking north, I could see the blue-green top part of the Wiltern Theatre building.

That means, in December, 1964, if Benjamin had been coming out of the Erro around 10:00 in the morning, he could have walked a few blocks over to the Wiltern and come in and heard my very first public concert!

If I had been down the block at my father's office I could have joined him. :)

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #148 on: August 08, 2006, 06:11:59 PM »

That's awesome musicguy! I have quite a few organ albums, but I'm sure just a tiny percentage of what is out there. Here is the work of art of which we speak...

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #149 on: August 08, 2006, 06:15:47 PM »

The cool thing about organ LPs is that besides the great sounds, they often had great covers.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Up