Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: BEWARE THE IDES OF AUGUST  (Read 20738 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
BEWARE THE IDES OF AUGUST
« on: August 08, 2006, 12:33:40 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you know all about the Ides, and now it is time for you to post until the cows come home - they're currently bewaring the Ides of August - no fools they.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2006, 12:24:00 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:BEWARE THE IDES OF AUGUST
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2006, 12:35:01 AM »

And the word of the day is: PUKKA!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2006, 12:37:02 AM »

I'm quite tired right now, but am not quite ready to go to bed.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2006, 12:44:31 AM »

Happy Birthday, Der Brucer!! ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2006, 12:47:30 AM »

There are a lot of HHW birthdays in August...and my dad's is on the 20th.

« Last Edit: August 08, 2006, 12:54:23 AM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2006, 03:46:10 AM »

[size=20]Happy
Birthday
Der
Brucer[/size]

Duck for dinner.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2006, 03:48:47 AM »

There are no anagrams for PUKKA.  Ain't that fine and dandy.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2006, 03:49:27 AM »

Der Brucer is, of course, quite pukka.

You all knew that, natch.

td

• td
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2006, 04:28:52 AM »

happy birthday, fellow LEO, Der Brucer!
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

td

• td
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2006, 04:30:17 AM »

No desert island would be complete without LAWRENCE OF ARABIA, THE SOUND OF MUSIC, CASABLANCE, THE FIRST NUDIE MUSICAL and BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN. . .although, I could also throw THE APPLE into the mix. . .
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Danise

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2006, 04:33:24 AM »

Good morning all!

Dear TCB, Thank you for the offer of a shrine.  You are sweet as always.

I think I had to buy the two plots because they are in the military section.  It was odd how it all came about but a good lesson  for some.

My Mother told me for years after Dad died that I didn’t have to worry about a thing for her, that everything was paid for except the opening and closing (which was union) of the grave.

We fought for years about my getting one near them.  She didn’t want me to be down here in Florida by myself.  My stand was that when the pioneers made the trek out West and one of them died, they buried them where they fell.  They didn’t drag the bodies with them all the way to California or where ever they were going.  I couldn’t see the expense of having my body shipped to a place I never lived and didn’t give two figs about. Not to mention that I thought I wouldn’t be anywhere near them since Dad was in the military section.

Anyway, she kept at me until one day I said I would call and ask about it.  The sales guy told me it was odd that I had picked that day to call because there was a pair of plots that had just been given up by a couple that had made other plans.  They were one row down and two or three over from where my Dad is and since I was the daughter of a vet, I could get them.  

I bowed to fate and said I’d take them but I wanted payments for the entire package like my Mom had.  That’s when I found out that Mom hadn’t bought the entire package for herself—she had only bought the plot itself.  Dad was taken care of but she was not.  

What a shock a roo that was and has now been corrected.  

Anyway let that be a lesson to you to make sure you understand exactly what you are buying.   In my case, I chose that one of the graves I have is the full package and the other is only the ground.  I think that if I ever marry, since I bought the plot, the least he can do is take care of the rest but I will make sure that is understood.

Not exactly a pleasant morning topic but one we all have to deal with sooner or later.   :D

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Danise

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2006, 04:35:01 AM »

Happy, Happy, Happy Birthday to DR Der B!  A much nicer subject by far!
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Danise

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2006, 04:46:44 AM »

Safe travel vibes to Dear Elmore!

Congrats to DR Maria!

And DR Ginny, I'm sorry but I had to shut down before I had the chance to see your post.  Your welcome to "ride the bus" with me anytime!

I also wonder where Vixmom is.  I thought it was just me, missing her posts.  I hope all is well for her and her family.  

Hi TD!  Sorry that I can't stay and chat--my bus is almost to my stop.

And with that, have a wonderful day all!
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Ben

« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2006, 04:58:33 AM »

I'm sure Deb (Vixmom) is OK, she's just very busy with her new job. Darn those work hours. She can't post like she used to.

At least one of my desert island movies would be West Side Story. Imagine sitting on the sand with nothing but palm trees and the surf slapping on the shore watching West Side Story! I'll have to think about the other 9 movies.

Ben

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2006, 04:58:56 AM »

Happy, Happy Day to der Brucer!

Ben

« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2006, 04:59:30 AM »

And travel vibes to our dear Elmore. New York eagerly awaits your return.

Ben

« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2006, 05:06:36 AM »

Larry, you have a show coming up in the Musical Theatre Festival and Anthony may be in one of the shows also. He did a show three years ago as part of the Fringe Festival (different from the Musical Theatre Festival) called Captain Gravy's Wavy Navy. It will be done again as part of this year's MT festival.

Here are a couple of links to information about the show

Captain Gravy's

Wavy Navy
« Last Edit: August 08, 2006, 08:01:18 AM by Ben »

Ben

« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2006, 05:07:26 AM »

I scared everyone away and now I must get back to work.

Later, gaters.

Ben

« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2006, 05:20:04 AM »

Tom (Rodzinski) and any others interested in British musical theatre, on Stage and Screen this week (BBC Radio 3) Edward Seckerson re-runs an interview he did from 2002 with Sandy Wilson and the great Julian Slade (of Salad Days fame). The program will be up until next Monday at around noon (Eastern Standard Time). Click on the link then click on Listen to Latest Programme.

Julian Slade
« Last Edit: August 08, 2006, 06:22:34 AM by Ben »

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2006, 05:47:48 AM »

Good morning, all!  Thanks for the travel vibe so far!  I hope you will keep them coming.  My flight is late this afternoon, around 4:45.  We will probably begin the trek to Dayton around 1:30PM.

This morning I have some laundry, a search in the car I was driving for a CD case, and some writing for Miss Klea Blackhurst.

DR Ben, good news about Anthony's show!  I will be working on the Singing Nun show, but I'm also represented by "The Night of the Hunter," which I love.  They're also doing Brad Ross' "Little by Little," of which I'm a huge fan.  I got a call about the orchestrations I did for my dear friend Bruce Kimmel's recording, but I'm not sure where they are.  When the show went into the Samuel French catalogue, I asked them to buy the charts and they turned me dow.  Now I don't know if they're in my apartment, thrown out after the 2004 bookcase collapse, or in the Library of Congress with all my recording work.  Oy!

Happy Birthday to Der Brucer!  And my wishes for many many happy and healthy more!

TOD:
The Night of the Hunter
Tom Jones
Nashville
The First Nudie Musical
Double Indemnity
and five more I need to consider
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2006, 06:12:12 AM »

Happy Birthday, DR Der Brucer!
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2006, 06:19:44 AM »

The Ides of August are not until next week.  The Ides are the 15th of the month.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

FJL

« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2006, 07:11:27 AM »

Wow, I haven't been the High Winner in the Trivia Contest in a long long time.  Caps off a great weekend for me - getting to meet the wonderful George and PennyO (with PennyO joining us at - and generously driving us to and from - the Meet the Artists party), getting to be on a talkback panel with Jonathan Betuel (the Last Starfighter screenwriter) and Lance Guest (the Last Starfighter screen star), being assured I didn't make too much of a fool of myself on those panels (the first I've ever done),  most importantly my dear friend Michael getting out of the ICU after 30 days and being in a more regular hospital room.  Definitely a  weekend of highs, finished off by being the HHW Trivia High winner.

FJL

« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2006, 07:13:30 AM »

Been distracted about catching up on the weekend's posts.  Must get to that.

FJL

« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2006, 07:22:18 AM »

I guess we've got to get used to feeling melancholy about all the NYMF talk.   We were so honored to have been asked to do Last Starfighter at NYMF, and it does seem that NYMF is turning out to be a real premier event as far as the NYC fall theater season is concerned.  But our creative staff scheduling problems proved insurmountable within the time frame we had, so we're very much hoping that we'll be asked again next year.  Meanwhile, we'll live vicariously :) - hearty congrats to Larry and Ben's Ant on their involvement.  And to Brad Ross (who lives in our building, BTW).
« Last Edit: August 08, 2006, 07:23:55 AM by FJL »

Cillaliz

« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2006, 07:30:35 AM »

Happy Birthday DR Der Brucer!!!!!

Cillaliz

« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2006, 07:33:01 AM »

Ginny, Jane and anyone else with reservations at the CI - I just called to try to drop the first day - I'm having a todo with them about the fact that it raises the rates and it will be cheaper for me to leave the room empty that night.  

Anyway, the manager didn't have any record of my reservation! So I emailed her the confirmation I received and she is investigating.  Just in case this is a more widespread problem, you may want to call and confirm your reservation with the hotel.    

Cillaliz

« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2006, 07:33:19 AM »

Gotta run.....laters

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2006, 07:34:05 AM »

Good morning!

Pretty day, but it's going to be hot and we'll probably have another thunderstorm this afternoon, too. FOur homes got hit by lightning here yesterday, and that's always a scary thought that it could happen to you.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2006, 07:34:34 AM »

A big happy birthday wish to DR der Brucer!!!
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up