Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: PROMISES, PROMISES  (Read 22315 times)

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
Re:PROMISES, PROMISES
« Reply #120 on: January 22, 2004, 12:07:28 PM »

Hey, gang. Anyone of ya in LA who could play piano for me a few times in the next 2 weeks? I'm rehearsing my show for PA, and need an accompanist... it's a paying gig, btw.
PennyO

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #121 on: January 22, 2004, 12:09:24 PM »

Traveling expenses, DR PennyO?  Course I live in Indiana.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Joy

• I want to be a horsie.
    • Our Wedding:  The Musical
« Reply #122 on: January 22, 2004, 12:13:46 PM »

DERBRUCER, that is hilarious!  What on earth are they thinking??  Are they serious?
Farmer, pointing the way with radish.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #123 on: January 22, 2004, 12:15:56 PM »

Michael Shayne I was watching the movie about the National Spelling Bee.  Last night when I posted we had just been watching an interview with a rather strange & annoying child.  Once the movie progressed to the spelling bee it really did become interesting.  At that point I had favorites, far too many, I was rooting for.  As one who is hopeless without spell-check, I found the movie rather fascinating.  Keith was having fun spelling along with the contestants.  I did surprise myself a few times, even to the extent that I was correct when the contestant wasn’t.

I should have taken one of those sleeping pills.

TD are you going to post a picture of the plate?

Jason & JoseSPiano-THE BEST OF VIBES!

Jennifer ovens are VERY HOT and sometimes the dangling towel just needs to briefly rest in the oven for it to catch on fire.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2004, 12:21:09 PM by Jane »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #124 on: January 22, 2004, 12:18:39 PM »

West coast man said the whole thing started when he was taking biscuits out of his oven!   ;D

Joy

• I want to be a horsie.
« Reply #125 on: January 22, 2004, 12:20:10 PM »

JRand, that movie poster is oddly compelling.  I think I would like to see it.  Is it available for rental?

Ben

« Reply #126 on: January 22, 2004, 12:20:25 PM »

Oh, my, DerBrucer. We took a picture of me holding a box of Pork Faggots at the Tesco. I was going to post it soon. I may post it right now to show you. We took many such grocery store pictures at Sainsbury and Tesco.

DR Joy - Whachu talking about??? Are you making fun of the way Minnesotan folk talk? I'm from Minnesota so be careful or I'll find a virtual snowball (I hope you know I'm kidding   :) )

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #127 on: January 22, 2004, 12:20:29 PM »

Hey, gang. Anyone of ya in LA who could play piano for me a few times in the next 2 weeks? I'm rehearsing my show for PA, and need an accompanist... it's a paying gig, btw.

Check your private message box, Dear Reader PennyO.  Ask, and you shall receive.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2004, 12:20:54 PM by Jay »
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #128 on: January 22, 2004, 12:20:59 PM »

Oh yes DRJoy - it is a good movie!  Edward Judd!

LOL DRBen .....  Brains & Beauty!  ;D
« Last Edit: January 22, 2004, 12:21:43 PM by JRand53 »

Jane

« Reply #129 on: January 22, 2004, 12:22:44 PM »

JRand53-LOL

Jane

« Reply #130 on: January 22, 2004, 12:29:16 PM »

When I was young we had a gas stove.  I can recall many a time the broiler bursting into flames.  I think it had something to do with dripping fat juices.  That sounds so gross, no wonder I don’t eat meat anymore.

There was the day I turned on the gas for the fireplace and the whole thing lit up in my face.  I had the reflexes of youth and only singed the front of my hair.  I have had numerous close calls with fires and, as much as possible, Keith doesn’t allow to do more than light a candle.  

Joy

• I want to be a horsie.
« Reply #131 on: January 22, 2004, 12:37:58 PM »

DR Joy - Whachu talking about??? Are you making fun of the way Minnesotan folk talk?
You betcha.

td

• td
« Reply #132 on: January 22, 2004, 12:41:08 PM »

GOOD VIBES TO DR JASON!

ANSWER to DR Jane (and Keith, of course) If I could figure out how to scan a plate, I'd post a pic.  teeheehee
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #133 on: January 22, 2004, 12:46:55 PM »

(In response to the picture of a fish basket)
Doesn't it spark in the Microwave?

der always curious Brucer
From Uncle Woody's Rules:

Never pitch woo to someone who wears braces while standing in a microwave.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #134 on: January 22, 2004, 12:58:51 PM »

I don't have any good fish recipes yet.  I think that's partly due to having been in SoCal for so long, which really isn't fish country.  That's due to change now that I'm on the other coast.  (Der Brucer is already planning on my learning how to make Lobster Bisque.  Step one: save the shells from previous lobster dinners.)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Robin

« Reply #135 on: January 22, 2004, 01:15:04 PM »

The Significant Other hates fish, and anything with fish in it; and he hates the lingering aroma of fish.  Therefore in the interest of Domestic Harmony, I will only have fish dishes in restaurants.  And even then, he'll wrinkle up his nose at what I ordered; but it's cute, so I don't mind.  
Mankind needs God...like fish need bicycles!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #136 on: January 22, 2004, 01:17:44 PM »

Oh, DR Jason, I logged on at 4 p.m., too late to send you vibes for your audition, so I'll send them to the director/casting person in hopes that they get to the right person at the right time.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Tomovoz

« Reply #137 on: January 22, 2004, 01:24:52 PM »

DR JRand: Have not checked the other posts for answers as yet! In OZ the change over from 78 rpm to 45 rpm took about 5 years. You could still buy 78rpm recordings in 1959. My first purchase was "April Love" and it was on a 78 rpm disc. Albums were not big sellers - too large a proportion of income was needed. It had to be special. Albums came into their own with "Stereo" demonstration records in the early 60's . In 1961 if you went into a store you were likely to hear "Bert Kaempfert's "A Swinging Safari" being played.  I think the Beatles" recordings were really the beginning of album buying on a large scale here. For pop music, people had usually only bought "Greatest Hits" albums or Elvis soundtrack albums like "Blue Hawaii" and "G I Blues".  The first Cast album to make any impact here was "My Fair Lady". We had to wait until Christmas 1958 for it to be issued here. The old 78 Show album collections were not that common.
I remember explaining to my students that the cost of a Long Playing record in 1960 was the equivalent of more than half my sister's pay packet - she was a junior secretary in a law firm and not poorly paid by the standards of teh day.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jason

« Reply #138 on: January 22, 2004, 01:25:18 PM »

Back from the audition. I think it went very well. I sang beautifully, if I do say so myself, and I read pretty well. The casting director gave me some notes for the cold read and then told me that he thinks that I may be too--are you ready for this?--SMALL for the part! I've been told many things in my life, but I've NEVER been told I was too small for anything. I should be flattered, but I think that may have killed any chance of me being cast. He said he'd call tonight to let me know if I should come in tomorrow for the callback, but that he knew I'd be good for the role and that he was glad to have called me in. We'll see what happens. Thanks for all the good vibes, you guys...keep 'em comin' if you can until tomorrow around 4:00--that way we'll cover all our bases. :D

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #139 on: January 22, 2004, 01:28:07 PM »

DerBrucer...I think you Log Cabin folk oughta come over to the other side...
Somehow, that doesn't sound like a good idea.  I know the far right keeps jerking the Republican party in their direction (much like the far left keeps jerking the Democrats), but there are still a fair number of Republicans who are moderates and who look to Log Cabin to help voice the moderate viewpoint.

I've been there and seen the process work.  I remember very well when der Brucer got involved with a candidate for state assembly, who was originally somewhat anti-gay, and through a series of talks turned him around to being one of our staunchest supporters, which paid off when he went on to Congress.  Notice, it took a series of talks; this change never takes place overnight.

The problem is, most of the anti-gay crowd cannot identify ordinary, run-of-the-mill gay people.  The extrordinary drag queens and leather guys and "hairdressers" they can spot.  They would be shocked to find Ben and Ant are a couple.  MBarnum wouldn't register with them.  They probably couldn't pick TCB from a lineup.  Which is why der Brucer and I, and most other Log Cabin members, end up being being as effective as we are when we go to DC to meet with people: we're well-educated, but boring.  Just like them.

I'm not saying we don't have our work cut out for us, because we do.  But so do the Democrats.  It was Clinton, after all, who signed the Defense of Marriage Act, as well as Don't Ask, Don't Tell.

This is going to be a very interesting year.

Robin

« Reply #140 on: January 22, 2004, 01:35:34 PM »

If you're a fiscal conservative or a social liberal, this was a speech that succeeded in making you take a second look at the Democrats. I sure am.

I would be the first to welcome Andrew Sullivan (and any of the LCR!) into the ranks of the Democratic Party.  I've heard and read the Log Cabin positions, and while I believe they're honest and sincere, they've taken on an impossible task--they'll never be taken seriously by the party they're loyal to, which means they cannot change it from within.  The Republican party is too driven by the religious right, who will never, ever willingly see GLBT folk as anything but de facto second-class citizens.  Jerry Falwell and Pat Robertson's followers make up too much of the voting base for Bush or any major Republican candidate.  

(As far as I know, no high-ranking Republican official is openly supportive of equal rights for GLBT folks.  If I'm wrong, I apologize in advance for my error.)
Mankind needs God...like fish need bicycles!

Jason

« Reply #141 on: January 22, 2004, 01:37:10 PM »

FYI: Ann Miller has passed away.

Tomovoz

« Reply #142 on: January 22, 2004, 01:40:02 PM »

Left over from a day or so ago!
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #143 on: January 22, 2004, 01:40:33 PM »

Thanks TOMOVOZ.

Ann Miller....   :'( :'( :'(

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #144 on: January 22, 2004, 01:41:15 PM »

I have had numerous close calls with fires and, as much as possible, Keith doesn’t allow to do more than light a candle.  
Oh, oh, here comes a story.... When I was a child in Hungary, the dear Russians set our building on fire (During the Revolution, of course. Even mean old Ruskies didn't do things like that under normal circumstances.)
Understandably, I had issues with fire thereafter. So fast-forward to my days as a young actress in Canada... I mentioned the other day the educational anti-smoking film I did. The opening shot was a close-up of my hands striking a match and lighting a cigarette. Now in those days I couldn't strike a match without my hands shaking uncontrollably, so I never lit matches. Used a lighter if I had to. But a shot is a shot and the director was adamant. It was hilarious - not for me, natch. But I can't tell you how many takes and how much will-power it took to steady my hands for that one stupid shot.

I'm fine with matches now. A few years ago I even started lighting the fireplace and I was very proud of myself. May not be much to you...

Panni

« Reply #145 on: January 22, 2004, 01:45:47 PM »

Ann Miller. How sad. Saw her a short while ago in MULHOLLAND DRIVE (again) and she was terrific. Explained to my daughter,  who was watching with us, who Ann Miller was - couldn't think of enough superlatives.

Jane

« Reply #146 on: January 22, 2004, 01:49:03 PM »

The problem is, most of the anti-gay crowd cannot identify ordinary, run-of-the-mill gay people.  The extrordinary drag queens and leather guys and "hairdressers" they can spot.  They would be shocked to find Ben and Ant are a couple.  MBarnum wouldn't register with them.  They probably couldn't pick TCB from a lineup.  Which is why der Brucer and I, and most other Log Cabin members, end up being being as effective as we are when we go to DC to meet with people: we're Just like them.

It sounds like many of my experiences-“gosh you aren’t like the typical Jew”, expressed as a big compliment.  Wish I had a nickel for every time I have heard that statement.  I hope many of my conversations that followed made a difference, for the better, in their opinions.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #147 on: January 22, 2004, 01:49:42 PM »

DR WEL was talking about the phonograph scene in THE RED SHOES....such memories.  Those of us of a certain age remember finding a track or "phrase" on a record the hard way!

ABC News obit for Miss Ann Miller:

http://abcnews.go.com/wire/Entertainment/ap20040122_1651.html

I hope God remembers that dear Ann doesn't do Game Shows!!!  :D
« Last Edit: January 22, 2004, 01:55:02 PM by JRand53 »

Panni

« Reply #148 on: January 22, 2004, 01:50:10 PM »

Okay, the reason I logged on in the first place but was sidetracked by fire and dear Ann Miller...  Was just looking through the Sunday NY Times and saw that the Stratford Festival of Canada is presenting KING LEAR, starring Christopher Plummer, for 10 weeks at Lincoln Center. Starting in February. Those of you in and around NYC MUST see this production - directed by the great Jonathan Miller. Friends who saw it at Stratford say it is one of THE performances of the decade. I'm sure you can read about it on the WEB. So get your tickets NYC Hainsies and Kimlets.

Tomovoz

« Reply #149 on: January 22, 2004, 01:51:24 PM »

A good reason for me to watch  "Mulholland Drive" again. I have meaning to borrow/rent it again. A fascinating movie. (I still don't "Get" the bit in the theatre).
James Thurber 1957
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9   Go Up