Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: THE TRIP  (Read 34654 times)

Cillaliz

Re:THE TRIP
« Reply #90 on: September 23, 2006, 11:46:39 AM »

I almost forgot tonight is the opening of the Sioux City Symphony Season.  It's been especially fun since Xian Zhang became our conductor/musical director. She's  also an Associate Conductor with the New York Philharmonic.  She is so much fun to watch and she has brought out the talents of our orchestra in amazing ways. Should be a fun evening

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #91 on: September 23, 2006, 11:48:42 AM »

DRJOSE - sounds like you're having a grand time!  You are earning your living doing THEATRE!!!!

Well, if "having" and "earning" means being able to sit out in the house when I want and taking trips back up to NYC when I want, well...   -It has been grand.

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #92 on: September 23, 2006, 11:52:31 AM »

Good afternoon!

The opening of the show went fine, so...

The stage manager left a little note on the callboard about our patron from last night.  Her name is Elizabeth, and she did indeed grow up during Hitler's reign of terror.  Last night was the first time in a long time where all the horrible memories of watching her friends and family being taken away by the Gestapo came back to her in full force.  Watching the events unfold during the course of the play truly was like watching and going through it all over again. Thankfully, she is OK.
Make Your Own Luck.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #93 on: September 23, 2006, 11:56:51 AM »

I almost forgot tonight is the opening of the Sioux City Symphony Season.  

The Russians Are Coming, The Russians Are Coming!

Well just one:

Tchaikovsky - Piano Concerto #1 and Symphony #5

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #94 on: September 23, 2006, 11:57:14 AM »

DR edisaurus- Yes, be sure to check out the Skyline if you ever get a chance.  It may be a little far from Times Square for some people, but the trade off is is that is very quiet on that side of town.  There are two wings - one old, one recently remodeled.  I like the newer wing, but sometimes some of the rooms in the old wing can be had for a low as $78 a night. However, the rooms in the newer wing are very nice, and LARGE.  When I've gone up with friends and gotten a room with two queen size beds in it, there's always still been plenty of space left in the room to relax and put or stuff.   *And parking is still a very reasonable $8.00 a night if you're a guest - and sometimes if you're not a guest and the parking attendant remembers you.  :)

On the 11th floor of the "west wing" there is a heated indoor pool.  It's all surrounded by windows, and it provides a gorgeous view of the Empire State Building.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #95 on: September 23, 2006, 11:57:48 AM »

Well, I need to head on over to Union Station to catch my train back up to NYC...

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

Ginny

« Reply #96 on: September 23, 2006, 11:59:24 AM »

DR Jose - that's some story about your audience member from last night.  I'm glad to hear that she's OK.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #97 on: September 23, 2006, 11:59:47 AM »

Good afternoon!

The opening of the show went fine, so...

The stage manager left a little note on the callboard about our patron from last night.  Her name is Elizabeth, and she did indeed grow up during Hitler's reign of terror.  Last night was the first time in a long time where all the horrible memories of watching her friends and family being taken away by the Gestapo came back to her in full force.  Watching the events unfold during the course of the play truly was like watching and going through it all over again. Thankfully, she is OK.

I wonder if anyone prepared her ahead of time? (Not everybody knows plot lines before seating.)

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Cillaliz

« Reply #98 on: September 23, 2006, 12:06:12 PM »

The Russians Are Coming, The Russians Are Coming!

Well just one:

Tchaikovsky - Piano Concerto #1 and Symphony #5

der Brucer

And the world premier of a new work

Huang Ruo's - Shattered Steps

Cillaliz

« Reply #99 on: September 23, 2006, 12:15:50 PM »

Huang Ruo will be here for the premiere. Kind of cool to have the composer here in  Sioux City for the premier of his work.

Cillaliz

« Reply #100 on: September 23, 2006, 12:20:51 PM »

It's really fascinating to me to watch the cats figure out their pecking order.  The most interesting thing is that Boo seems to be slipping right into Nilla's paw prints. She's the one who cuddles in the middle of the night and wakes me purring in the morning. She's becoming the lap cat etc. I didn't think it would work out this way

Cillaliz

« Reply #101 on: September 23, 2006, 12:30:40 PM »

I'm watching the Travel Channel's 10 Best of the West.  Right now they are calling what my nephew Adam called Bad Carl's Tavern (maybe it was Cavern) when he was a little kid.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #102 on: September 23, 2006, 12:34:48 PM »

Food report - My Rosh Hashanah meal last night consisted of pretzels, Granny Smith apple rings from Trader Joe's and red licorice. Not the usual meal for the occasion - but quite yummy.

Clearly the meal of an Anna Rexic.  My God!  And I guarantee that was, most likely, the ONLY meal - maybe there was a bowl of oatmeal in the morning.  I am dieting and careful about what I eat, but I EAT at least one EXCELLENT MEAL a day.  Pretzels, apple rings, and red licorice - brilliant, and classic for a ninety-five pound person.  End of personal opinion.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #103 on: September 23, 2006, 12:35:59 PM »

There will follow outrage and denials - but that "meal" is ridiculous.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #104 on: September 23, 2006, 01:01:32 PM »

Another favorite Dean Martin movie is BELLS ARE RINGING (well, it's really a Judy Holliday movie). Dean is perfectly cast in the film, but as I've mentioned in the past, he looks like he's barely trying during "I Met a Girl." He doesn't know the lyrics to the song and in some points doesn't even bother opening his mouth as the playback is going with his voice ringing out.

BELLS ARE RINGING is my favorite Dean Martin film, too!  I cannot believe that I could not think of it this morning.

I watched SCARED STIFF recently after watching GHOST BUSTERS for the first time.  It's still funny.

I'm back from a lovely day with DRs vixmom, WF Orr, Rodzinski, Tomovoz, Colin, and the vixter.  We got5 to Rosie O'Grady's on 46th Street, had a pleasant lunch and chatted there for about 3 hours.  The staff was great and quite patient with us.  I had never been there before and enjoyed the lunch a lot.  I'd recommend it as another possible dining spot for any HHWers coming into the City.

I'm going to have a bit of a nap and then do some brain surgery.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #105 on: September 23, 2006, 01:03:12 PM »

DR PENNYO is a coed!

Is there a musical in it?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #106 on: September 23, 2006, 01:10:59 PM »

LA National tour of La Cage!

der Brucer

Walter is one of the nicest men!  He was cast as Barnaby in the Houston Grand Opera BABES IN TOYLAND, a cursed production in which I was tangled: the night before the final dress Walter leaped offstage after his first scene and broke his ankle.  We had to replace him.

On another note, his audition song, "The Olive Tree," was one of the most beautiful things I have ever heard.  I am quite fond of Mr Charles.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #107 on: September 23, 2006, 01:12:42 PM »

He has the credentials for elective office:

Jackson's Secret Papers Revealedder Brucer

On makeup and noses alone!

Ginny

« Reply #108 on: September 23, 2006, 01:17:32 PM »

...the night before the final dress Walter leaped offstage after his first scene and broke his ankle.  We had to replace him....

You tend to have that effect on actors, DR Elmore  ;)

Isn't Rosie O'Grady's right near the Comfort Inn where Richard and I will be staying?
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #109 on: September 23, 2006, 01:27:25 PM »

I saw Cabaret in NY a few years back, with Marion Ross & Tom Bosley and Neil Patrick Harris as the master of ceremonies. I didn't know he had such talent for musical theatre. He was just great! I wasn't impressed with Debbie Gibson as Sally Bowles...I guess I have trouble seeing anyone but Liza Minelli in that role!

Thank goodness you mentioned Debbie Gibson.  I was starting to have terrible visions of Marion Ross singing "Mein Herr."
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #110 on: September 23, 2006, 01:29:50 PM »

Back from a brisk jog - I'm bringing my jogging clothes to NY, and am hoping there'll be some time when it's not raining and/or too cold to jog - I don't really want to go a whole week without jogging - if it's impossible, then I might do a day pass at a gym somewhere - just to do forty minutes on the bike - any suggestions?

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #111 on: September 23, 2006, 01:32:16 PM »

Walter is one of the nicest men!  He was cast as Barnaby in the Houston Grand Opera BABES IN TOYLAND, a cursed production in which I was tangled: the night before the final dress Walter leaped offstage after his first scene and broke his ankle.  We had to replace him.

Was it a suicide attempt?
“One thing’s universal,

Ben

« Reply #112 on: September 23, 2006, 01:34:11 PM »

Yes, Rosie O'Grady's is on 46th St. between 6th and 7th Avenues, closer to 6th (and the Comfort Inn). I've walked by on my way to the Equity office but I've never been inside. I think it's fairly new. It used to be something else but I can't remember the name.

Don't know where we will end up tomorrow. It seems that Tom and Colin will have an eating tour of New York. They did the Cloisters and Top of the Rock by themselves and now we New Yorkers take them out to eat!

Ben

« Reply #113 on: September 23, 2006, 01:39:59 PM »

Gold's Gym is on 54th Street between Broadway and 8th Avenue.
250 W 54th St, (212) 307-7760

Gold's Gym

You're also staying at a "boutique" hotel. The concierge can probably arrange something. Also, Fred may have information about the Manhattan Plaza Health Club (Fred and Skip live in Manhattan Plaza). It's a bit of a walk from your hotel but it's supposed to be a good place.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2006, 01:40:46 PM by Ben »

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #114 on: September 23, 2006, 01:50:31 PM »

Growing up, my sister and I watched some Martin/Lewis and Jerry Lewis (without Dean) movies.  I can remember that we enjoyed them, but I can't remember which movies we watched, other than "The Nutty Professor."  Otherwise, I wasn't a specific fan of either of them as I got older (not that I had anything against them).  I do love "Bells Are Ringing"...especially now that I have the DVD. ;D

But we also watched "The Dean Martin Show."  We loved that...from what I can remember. ;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #115 on: September 23, 2006, 01:53:46 PM »

I'm at work but now must leave.  One of my co-workers has what she calls a "chair-and-a-half" and is giving it to me. ;D She's buying a new Mission-style chair and no longer has room for it.  I'll take it!  I should have room in my soon-to-be-new living room downstairs.  That's good, because it's supposed to be big and I don't want to have to haul it upstairs. :P It's bad enough that I have to get my bed up to the third level!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jennifer

« Reply #116 on: September 23, 2006, 02:02:32 PM »

Re: last night's GHOST WHISPERER (spoilers)

DR TCB wrote last night:

DAMN IT TO HECK!  

I cried my eyes out at the season finale of GHOST WHISPERER last Spring; I didn't realize I was going to cry all over again as the new season got under way.  As much as I hate the fact that Andrea is dead, I think the addition of Jay Mohr in the recurring role of the college professor will help the show.  And it could have been worse, they could have killed off Melinda's husband which would have been a real tragedy

Last season's season finale was one of the best ever. I was also going crazy watching it.

I didn't realize Andrea would be in so much of the show. And when i saw her name listed in the credits i thought she might stick around.

I wish they had done it. That whole "she was in a coma" dream could have been real.

Very dark scary show now. That guy is so creepy.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #117 on: September 23, 2006, 02:31:02 PM »

Speaking of cursed productions, years ago, I was in a production of RING AROUND THE MOON, that was so horrible; that to this day the cast and crew refer to it as RING AROUND THE TOILET.  We had a superb cast, but it seemed that the whole show was crused from Day One.  Naturally, the audiences still tell us that it was one of the best shows we have ever done.

:o
“One thing’s universal,

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #118 on: September 23, 2006, 02:33:16 PM »

Thank goodness you mentioned Debbie Gibson.  I was starting to have terrible visions of Marion Ross singing "Mein Herr."

LOL and argh! I think I would have liked Marion Ross better in the role!

Just heard a really nice interview on the radio with Marnie Nixon, who has recently written her bio: "I Could Have Sung All Night". Lots of good stories about being the ghost-singer for Audrey Hepburn, Natalie Wood and Deborah Kerr.

DR TCB, I just popped something in the mail for you!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #119 on: September 23, 2006, 02:45:54 PM »

Just heard a really nice interview on the radio with Marnie Nixon, who has recently written her bio: "I Could Have Sung All Night". Lots of good stories about being the ghost-singer for Audrey Hepburn, Natalie Wood and Deborah Kerr.

DR TCB, I just popped something in the mail for you!

Thank you so much, Edisaurus!

Marnie Nixon is a delightful woman.  A good friend of mine took singing lessons from Marnie for years.  I guess she is back living in New york, now; but she lived out here for years.[/size]
“One thing’s universal,
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11   Go Up