Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: THE RIOT ACT  (Read 24246 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:THE RIOT ACT
« Reply #90 on: February 10, 2004, 09:33:41 AM »

The show last night (if you don't know whereof I speak read the notes or you run the risk of being read the riot act - today is the official Read the Riot Act Day) was not well-thought out by its creators.  As we all pointed out, they didn't know what story they were trying to tell.  It is amazing how many of the shows I've seen in these workshops have that problem.  What story are you trying to tell?  Why should I care about these characters?

Stephen Schwartz told an interesting story about the Wicked tryout in San Francisco.  At the end of the run, he and book writer Winnie Holtzman were sitting in the back of the theater.  After two years of workshops, and a month of seeing the show in a full production, Stephen turned to Winnie and said, "I'm still not sure of the story we're trying to tell in terms of Elphaba.  I think we need to examine it again."  And they spent that whole summer doing so.  There is nothing harder than writing a musical - I take that back - it's easy to write a musical - it's hard to write a GOOD musical.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #91 on: February 10, 2004, 09:47:35 AM »

I have just finished reading the early morning posts.  If I didn't know better, I would swear that BK, Jed, and derBrucer had been out on a bender last night.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #92 on: February 10, 2004, 09:51:12 AM »

And here is your Allison Hayes picture of the week.

As Tonda in 'The Disembodied', she gets the drop on Paul Burke.  :o

I used to dream about getting the drop on Paul Burke!
“One thing’s universal,

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #93 on: February 10, 2004, 09:52:16 AM »

Yes, we were on a posting bender.

One of the other reasons I wanted to make sure everyone has read today's notes (not to beat a dead horse) is because of the special message contained therein.  

I think I shall go beat a dead horse now.

Ben

« Reply #94 on: February 10, 2004, 10:00:53 AM »

BK, the show on Broadway this season was Six Dance Lessons in Six Weeks, starring Mark Hammil and Polly Bergen. It started in LA w/David Hyde Pierce and Uta Hagen. She became ill and the move to NY was postponed. It was then done in Florida w/Rue MacLanahan. She came to NY with the transfer but left during rehearsals and was replaced by Polly Bergen. The show got generally bad reviews, though many critics did like Miss Bergen. It closed fairly quickly.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2004, 10:02:03 AM by Ben »

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #95 on: February 10, 2004, 10:07:08 AM »

I think words like "arc" and "journey" were developed by studio people just so they wouldn't feel intimidated by dramatists.  Sorta like the way various enthic groups periodically change what they want to be called just to unsettle the majority (It's always been baffling to me why the terms African-American, Hispanic-American, Asian-American...which let's face it, are mouthfuls...apply to people who were not born in any of these countries and may have never even seen them.  I do not call myself a Scot-Irish-Dutch American.  Does Panni call herself a Hungarian-American?  Geography is not a racial description).

End of mini-rant.  Back to main rant.  I think a bunch of studio executives and writing gurus...who rarely, if ever, made a living actually writing...invented these terms because they had no actual literary or dramatic skills and found themselves getting lost in notes sessions with people who actually did have literary/dramatic skills...namely writers.

The one that grates on me is "backstory".  Whenever I hear it, I like to say..."Oh, you mean all that stuff that happened to the characters before our story actually begins and all that information we need to know to understand what is about to unfold on the stage.  Yes, in the theatre, we call that 'exposition.'  It's a big word, I know, and a lot harder to remember and say than 'backstory'.  But that's what it's called. "

What's worse is all these executives take their Syd Field course or some other guru and come back with a bunch of guidelines for amateurs that they fiercely embrace as the Word come down from the Mount.

I actually had an executive once tell me, "All our first acts end on page forty-two."  "How odd,"  I replied, "Because my first acts end wherever they naturally need to end in the service of the piece of drama.  Each piece is different.  I've had first acts end on page thirty, or page fifty, occasionally even page sixty.  As I usually like a long set-up and each following act to escalate so that by the time you get to the third act, you're going hell-bent-fer-leather and not stopping for anything...in a 120 page script, I say they usually go...fifty-forty-thirty.  But nothing's hard and fast and each script is different.  Sometimes I write a four-act script or a five-act script like Shakespeare.  But the truth is, I don't write to acts at all...but I can show you where they all are when I'm through...so why page 42?"  

As I further pressed him and he could find no adequate dramaturgical answer (I wouldn't accept: "They just do."),  it came out that this number had been culled from some guru book.  A guideline for amateurs.

The fact is I just don't even think of all those terms I learned as a drama student...exposition, inciting incident, rising and falling action, climax, denouement (terms you rarely hear in a Hollywood notes session).  I learned all this stuff at the time, it's ingrained or forgotten or has been absorbed by omosis, and I just write with an instinctive dramatist's eye anymore. Is it too much?  Is it too little?  Does it accomplish what I need and want it to do?  Does it cover all its bases?  Does it play?  The worst thing about dealing with these people is that they do not understand that everything must be geared toward performance.  Does it play?  When you put it up on it's feet, does it compell and entertain?  

William E. Lurie

« Reply #96 on: February 10, 2004, 10:10:33 AM »

Regarding standing ovations, if a few people in front of me stand I have to stand too in order to see the stage.  I'm sure in many cases much of the audience would not be standing if they didn't have to in order to see... and to let out the rude people who can't even wait until after the curtain calls to leave the theatre.

This is not as common off-Broadway where shows can get great applause and cheers at the end but people remain seated.

By the way, when I saw SOUR SMELL OF FAILURE, I knew I wasn't the only one who didn't care for it  when it did not get a standing ovation... a rarity for any Broadway musical in the last five or ten years.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Donna

• It's never too late.
    • Cabaret West
« Reply #97 on: February 10, 2004, 10:12:01 AM »

Does she [Susan Powter] still look the same - short "white" hair, etc.?

Her hair is longer and its color was pink and blue--it  resembled a rooster's headdress.

BK - Whenever I get biting angry or nervous (like at an audition), the first place it shows up is in my back. I get terrible spasms. What helps me in the short term is taking deep breaths directing the breath to the pain.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #98 on: February 10, 2004, 10:18:56 AM »

New first-time-on-CD reissues coming from Decca Broadway:
5/25 - Song of Norway
6/29 - Ankles Aweigh
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #99 on: February 10, 2004, 10:29:08 AM »

FS Pogue - RE your main rant - This Hugarian-Canadian-American Jewess couldn't agree with you more.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #100 on: February 10, 2004, 10:42:41 AM »

Correction:

To my trivia question from yesterday--which no one has addressed, by the way.

I said that one of Captain Picard's singing lady friends had been recorded by BK.  That, of course, is less than the truth.  Actually, two of them have starred in musicals whose cast albums were recorded by BK--and one of the ladies had part of her role dubbed by BK himself, because, talented as she may be, she was unable to perform that particular bit, and BK was.

So, anyone have a guess on at least one of them?  Or all three?
Well, I definately know who one of the ladies is, but the other one, for whom BK had to dub...I don't think Carol Channing ever appeared with Patrick Stewart.

;D
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #101 on: February 10, 2004, 10:43:45 AM »

LOL DR TCB - Barbara Parkins would disagree!

MR BK - I would imagine that the words "Kimmel" and "Kritzer" were said more around your Galley Proofing Place yesterday and today than ever before in the history of said Galley Proofing Place!

I don't think DR WFO reads MY posts.   :(
« Last Edit: February 10, 2004, 10:45:44 AM by JRand53 »
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #102 on: February 10, 2004, 10:46:21 AM »

Even though I used this very word at this very site yesterday, I do think the word "brilliant" is overused. When everything from Zsa Zsa's performance in that 1950s sci-fi movie (the name escapes me but I'm sure there are many here at HHW who know to which film I refer) to 1970s television shows is labeled as "brilliant" the word loses it's special quality. It becomes just another adjective. And yes, I have a friend who insists that Zsa Zsa's performance in that movie is brilliant and he's serious about it. The word brilliant now, for me, seems to be on the same level as a standing ovation. Broadway shows routinely get standing ovations, deserving or not. People seem to think that if you don't stand you're being rude. Miss Stritch, in my humble opinion, was deserving of a standing ovation. The recent revival of Gypsy, as much as I enjoyed it, was not. But that's just my humble opinion.

Thank you, Ben, for a brilliant post!

I certainly agree with you when it comes to standing ovations.  I have said this before, and although I hate to be repetitious, I will say it again: Not every public performance deserves a standing ovation.  I have said this before, and although I hate to be repetitious, I will say it again: Not every performance deserves a standing ovation.

Just because the local symphony brings a guest soloist to town, it doesn't mean that the soloist's performance will be inspired, brilliant, unique, or even good.  What motivation is there for an artist to push themselves, if they know they are going to be getting a standing ovation just by showing up?

“One thing’s universal,

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #103 on: February 10, 2004, 10:49:43 AM »

Jed & JRand:

Okay, that's 2/3 of it.  Donna Murphy played Anij in Star Trek:  Insurrection.  Picard fell heavy for her, but there was a bit of a generational problem when he learned she was 300 years old.

Amanda McBroom was Captain Phillipa Louvois in the episode "The Measure of a Man".  She had to determine whether Data could be taken apart against his will to see how he works.  She and Picard had been an item several years earlier.

Unfortunately Bebe Neuwirth never met Picard.  She played Nurse Lanel in the episode "First Contact".  Commander Ryker needed her help escaping from a hospital where he was being held on a pre-warp planet.  Her answer:  "I've never made love to an alien before."  They evidently struck a deal.

The third singing love of Picard is not a musical theatre person, although she did have, as I said, a hit single of a Rogers and Hart song--with a group not normally associated with that sort of music.  Hint:  the key word is Paris.
"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #104 on: February 10, 2004, 10:58:16 AM »

That is wonderful news about your Frances Farmer research, JMK.  It would be nice to think that Miss Farmer could, at last, be at peace.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2004, 10:59:54 AM by TCB »
“One thing’s universal,

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #105 on: February 10, 2004, 11:02:12 AM »

I don't mind standing ovations so much; sometimes, they help exercise the legs, which will get stiff during a long show.  What I do mind is figuring out when to stand.  If everyone is seated while the chorus and secondary characters take their bows, then stands when the third lead comes out, what the hell are we supposed to do when the first and second leads come out?  Particularly if they were nowhere near as good?  Sit down again?
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #106 on: February 10, 2004, 11:03:37 AM »

It goes well beyond Broadway shows.  It seems any performance of any sort is now instantly greeted with a standing ovation.  I've become quite accustomed to being "the jerk who won't stand up."

I know what you mean, Jed.  I refuse to stand up for a lot of shows that I see in Seattle, and I usually get quite a few dirty looks from other patrons.
“One thing’s universal,

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #107 on: February 10, 2004, 11:08:24 AM »

Frances Farmer, Frances Farmer - what about MIMSY Farmer?

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #108 on: February 10, 2004, 11:09:40 AM »

...but first…

I get it!  From high on your perch SWoodyWhite, our newest God

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]CONGRATULATIONS!![/move][/size]

Sorry I was so dense.

You are never dense, DR Jane.  Don't let anyone suggest that.

As it is, der Brucer and I have been chuckling for the last day and a half, wondering when somebody would notice my trasition.  (Technically, that took place in the wee hours of Monday, as part of Sunday's posts.)  He thought he was being very obvious with his picture postings, go figure.

Now he's threatening to scan and post some pics from my earlier years, which I find very unfair since I have none of him as a sprig of a twig.  (What I'd really love to have scanned in is the pic of him in his Navy uniform.  Ask and show and tell!)

Anyway, virtual karma, DR Jane!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #109 on: February 10, 2004, 11:10:15 AM »

How intriguing....I really didn't remember if Bebe met Picard or not, but I remember seeing her and thinking it was weird to see Fraser's wife in space!

MBarnum

« Reply #110 on: February 10, 2004, 11:14:48 AM »

I guess we Gods were sleeping on the job! Welcome, welcome, and welcome again SWW! Glad to have you up here...let the party begin!!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #111 on: February 10, 2004, 11:14:52 AM »

Mimsy Farmer, I'm talkin' about Mimsy Farmer.  WEHT Mimsy Farmer?

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #112 on: February 10, 2004, 11:20:58 AM »

If Mimsy isn't in the Borogoves, she might be found here.  And also here.  And a little clip can be found here.  Dance, little Mimsy, dance!
« Last Edit: February 10, 2004, 11:33:59 AM by S. Woody White »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #113 on: February 10, 2004, 11:23:58 AM »

Pogue: While I felt the backstory of your post was fine, I didn't feel its arc our journey were sufficiently explored.  Also, the third act of your post felt rushed.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #114 on: February 10, 2004, 11:28:24 AM »

I felt the same way, and it wasn't double spaced either.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #115 on: February 10, 2004, 11:40:44 AM »

I think Mimsy Farmer is working as John Dean's campaign manager.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #116 on: February 10, 2004, 11:53:12 AM »

I'm talkin' about Mimsy Farmer.  WEHT Mimsy Farmer?  I need to be jiggy about Mimsy.  Soon I will be off to my luncheon meeting and then I shall return and be in fine fettle?  Have you ever been in fine fettle?  Did you ever test your mettle whilst in fine fettle?   Or put on the kettle whilst in fine fettle?  Can you be in fair fettle?  Can you test both your mettle and your metal whilst in fine fettle?

Panni

« Reply #117 on: February 10, 2004, 12:01:35 PM »

Congratulations and welcome, SWW!!
[/color]

What a careless goddess I was not to notice.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2004, 12:03:28 PM by Panni »

Tomovoz

« Reply #118 on: February 10, 2004, 12:02:34 PM »

Congratulations SWoody. I"ve not been home much over the last two days and must admit to a "Rush through" read of pages and pages. I think I shall be home all day today - phoning my internet provider as my email "server" does not want to recognise my password anymore; most annoying when I know there will be so many enlightening words to read from people on the other side of the world.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2004, 12:03:35 PM by Tomovoz »
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Panni

« Reply #119 on: February 10, 2004, 12:07:48 PM »

According IMDB, Miss Mimsy Farmer's birthday is coming up this month. February 28th. We must celebrate at HHW.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up