Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: MY USUAL SELF  (Read 31388 times)

MBarnum

Re:MY USUAL SELF
« Reply #120 on: February 26, 2004, 02:29:44 PM »

Thanks for the get well wishes Jane and Jay!

Why do they say "Sick as a dog" anyhow? I guess it doesn't make any sense, really.

Tomovoz, good vibes to Magnus from Freddy the cat and myself!

THE CREW...that was it Der Brucer...you are amazing in your abilities to identify the most obscure and short lived of TV programs! Ha ha! It was a very funny show, by the way!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #121 on: February 26, 2004, 02:31:51 PM »

Don't know where he got this information, Jennifer. That's why I said in my post that these were his words, not mine. Clearly the intent seems to be to give the judges SOME power (selecting some of the people for the two different wild card shows) but leaving final selection to the audience which to me seems totally fair. It's the audience, after all, who votes for the eventual winner and then BUYS the CDs the winner and runner-up make.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #122 on: February 26, 2004, 02:33:16 PM »

Oh, I meant to wish you well, DR MBarnum, and hope you get better quickly. It's no fun to be sick.

Jennifer

« Reply #123 on: February 26, 2004, 02:47:25 PM »

Don't know where he got this information, Jennifer. That's why I said in my post that these were his words, not mine. Clearly the intent seems to be to give the judges SOME power (selecting some of the people for the two different wild card shows) but leaving final selection to the audience which to me seems totally fair. It's the audience, after all, who votes for the eventual winner and then BUYS the CDs the winner and runner-up make.

Sorry, I thought maybe you knew where he got the info.

I'm not sure how I would feel about the judges not choosing any of the wild cards (to go to the top 12).  IMO, they usually choose the best singers.

In theory, I do like the idea of the audience voting.  However, I don't think they always choose the best performers.  Plus there are so many people voting hundreds of times, that anyone could really get the most votes.  I sort of wish that people could only vote a limited amount of times.

Matt H.

« Reply #124 on: February 26, 2004, 02:53:48 PM »

Well, the judges have had their say-so from the get-go. EVeryone we're seeing was an ad-hoc choice of at least two of the three judges. Also, if you've noticed, most of their choices have gotten in (all their first chocies have), and in the case of Camille, undeservedly.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #125 on: February 26, 2004, 03:00:00 PM »

Has anyone listed the marvelous Joe Raposo Sesame Street songs?  Being Green, Sing, Rubber Duckie - all great.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #126 on: February 26, 2004, 03:10:46 PM »

i was going to write a nice long post, but I need to find a file urgently (don't ask!) - but I shall be back. FS Pogue said everything I would have said about the screen writing article - only he said it better. I also started my career as an actress (he wasn't an actress, I know) which was/is invaluable to me as a writer. I also act/speak my dialogue as I write. And I've never worn a baseball cap backwards. More later.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #127 on: February 26, 2004, 03:10:47 PM »

Some of us, BK, were supposed to be too old to listen to kid's songs when Raposo was writing his best stuff.   :-[

But I do wish he could have been with us longer, much longer.  He had a rare talent.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #128 on: February 26, 2004, 03:38:28 PM »

Has anyone listed the marvelous Joe Raposo Sesame Street songs?  Being Green, Sing, Rubber Duckie - all great.

Damn!  I always forget so many good songs.

Anyway, "Being Green" is one of my sister's favorite songs.  She's looked for a long time to get an original (meaning Jim Henson) recording of the song.  She's heard a couple different versions with Jim Henson, but they're bigger arrangements/orchestrations than what she remembers hearing and wants.

Also, I have a copy (from a songbook) of the music to "Rubber Duckie" and have wanted to sing it in public.  Someday I'm just going to have to on my own (a Les Miz reference).
« Last Edit: February 26, 2004, 03:42:00 PM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Danise

« Reply #129 on: February 26, 2004, 03:52:20 PM »

Good evening all.

JMK thank you very much for the offer of helping me around SLC.  I will take you up on the offer.  I called AAA and requested a map of the city and the tour book.  Once I figure out where I’m going to be, I will have many questions and yes, I would like to see the place named after your father, if it is in walking distance from where I’ll be.

Good vibes to you, Mbarnum.  I hope you feel much, much better by this time tomorrow!

Kiddie songs, I have many, many favorites but have a hard time remembering names.  “While sitting in the Barber chair”, “The Battle Hymn of the Children”, “Dunderbeck”, “Grandfathers Clock”, to name but a few.  

Don’t feel bad about doing something dumb, Bruce, we all do it.  If I paid for a trip to SLS and can’t get the tickets for the show (which STILL shows no signs of a ticket sales no matter where I look on the net), I’m going to be kicking myself from here to Utah and back.  
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #130 on: February 26, 2004, 04:38:51 PM »

Is anyone else getting error messages when trying to access the site or post?
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #131 on: February 26, 2004, 04:39:16 PM »

As I recall, Clay Aiken was chosen by the AUDIENCE in the Wild Card round....and Simon cluck-clucked about how unsuitable Clay was as an "American Idol" at every turn.

Doesn't seem like the judges knew what they were about, does it!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #132 on: February 26, 2004, 04:46:31 PM »

Yes.  I kept getting this message:

Warning: mysql_connect(): Too many connections in /home/haineshisway/community/index.php on line 58
Too many connections

I'm able to get to the site now, obviously, but it seems to be moving a bit slowly.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Danise

« Reply #133 on: February 26, 2004, 04:49:17 PM »

Me too!  Same message.
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #134 on: February 26, 2004, 04:52:14 PM »

Good evening!

Another good class tonight, and we got through all but one of the duets too!  I'm only with the class for three more sessions... It will be sad to leave them.

"American Idol" - As for the judges influencing the public.... Well, that's what they are there for in a way.  And as was proven last night, the public did not go with the judges opinions.  Also, the final rundown of who the judges think should go on to the next round is not revealed until the beginning of the "announcement" show.  So...  What was I saying?...

I've actually heard the same thing about the upcoming wild card show.  It's the twist for this season.  -Besides having a very "canned" sounding band.  Oh, and strangely enough, I thought I heard about the Wild Card selections on some promo for this season.  ???

In any case...

I think it would be neat if the judges picked two of the Wild Card contestants.  It would really not be that different from them picking the initial 112 (or whatever that figure was) or the 32.  *And after some of the people they let slip through, this could be a way for them to make up for some of their questionable decisions.  It would also add an interesting dynamic to the Final 12.  Will the public automatically not like the two the judges picked?  And will it cause the other contestants to step up their performances since they would have an idea who the favorites are?

Since this is my first time watching the prelims, how were the Wild Cards chosen in the past two seasons?  And how many rounds of prelims did they do?

Matt H - I WANT SNOW!!!   >:(  Yes, I do.  I know snow does cause problems of many sorts, but I really do like one major snowfall each winter, and, imho, we have yet to have it in Richmond this winter.

"Sesame Street" - I love those songs! Love, Love, Love!  -That's three Love's, ya' know.  -I guess that could be a Godspell reference too.

And, although it was probably "borrowed" from someone else, I once played for a great singer who included "Rubber Duckie" in her cabaret act.  Just slow the tempo down a bit, add a bit of a swing, and jazz up some of those chords...  And let the innuendo fly!  :o  It always stopped the show!

DR Danise - When exactly is the Michael Ball concert supposed to be?  Maybe some of us could keep an eye out for ticket announcements for you.  *Hopefully, it won't be like the current brou-ha-ha with the Josh Groban tour - so many of the tickets have been sold in advance of the public sale (to fan clubs, internet clubs, special groups, etc.) - people line up at the box office and the "Sold Out" sign goes up immediately - which is basically what happened here in Richmond.  -Oh, sorry to be "negative" - but I'm sure you're on top of the box office situation.

DR MBarnum - Feel better!  Shall I send some chicken soup?  Or some cookies?  ;)

DR Tomovoz - A virtual dog bone/treat for Magnus.   :D
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #135 on: February 26, 2004, 04:56:54 PM »

I was getting the error message too... All seems better now.  Ah, the joys of technology! ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #136 on: February 26, 2004, 04:57:25 PM »

Not me...no problems.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #137 on: February 26, 2004, 05:00:13 PM »

THE CREW...that was it Der Brucer...you are amazing in your abilities to identify the most obscure and short lived of TV programs! Ha ha! It was a very funny show, by the way!

Not "amazing", just quick with a search engine.
A little sependippity helps:

you posted:

Ok, Der Brucer here is another show for you to identify. The show was on FOX back in the 90s. It mostly took place on an airplance with 4 flight attendents as the main characters, 2 women (one black one white) and two men (one gay and one straight).

So, I went to Yahoo and typed in "GAY FLIGHT ATTENDENT FOX TV".

The very first hit I got was for:

GLBT Television Characters web site, which instantly identified THE CREW.

Before making this post, I went back and attempted to retrace my steps - and dutifully enetered GAY FLIGHT ATTENDANT FOX TV - the link was now missing, but the ninth entry down was for TV Tome which also listed the show.

In case you haven't caught the humor - you ,the professional writer, mispelled "attendant", me, the eternal critic missed the error, and the Canadian GLBT site also has the same misspelling)!

It must be a Gay Gene thing.

der luckey Brucer

We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Danise

« Reply #138 on: February 26, 2004, 05:06:54 PM »

Thanks, Jose.  The concerts should be on May 14th and 15th.  I want the best tickets I can get to both since I'm not coming home until Sunday.  

What scares me is I can't use the computer at work to check for them going on sale because I could get in MAJOR trouble for doing so.  Up to and including being fired.  I don't want to chance that!  

I've been getting up early every morning to check before I go to work and then again almost as soon as I step in the door at night.  

I've got others looking for me on a couple other boards as well but I greatly thank anyone who wouldn't mind checking as well.  What one misses, another may catch.  

Bought my Le Miz tickets today.  I'll get to see that the weekend after I come home from Utah.  May is going to be a busy month for me!

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

JMK

« Reply #139 on: February 26, 2004, 05:14:49 PM »

OK, here's a short-lived tv trivia question for you (and I do not remember the answer):

What was the name of the half-season or less comedy from the "Get Smart!" people about the star of a tv western?  All I can remember is his car had horns (as in antlers) on the hood.  It was definitely on NBC and was probably in the 66-67 or 67-68 season.

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

« Reply #140 on: February 26, 2004, 05:20:11 PM »

Danise:  The error messages kept me from responding to you earlier.  Downtown SLC is quite easy to get around, though the first thing you will notice is how wide the streets are--Brigham Young planned them that way to allow for plenty of room for horse-drawn carts to be able to do U-turns.

All the streets in SLC are numbered from Temple Square.  Therefore all you need to do is look at street signs to see where you are from "ground zero."  In other words, 300 E. 100 So. would be 3 blocks east of the Temple and 1 block south.  Even the streets with actual names have the numbers underneath.

You will obviously want to do Temple Square (prepare to be majorly proselytyzed--it's unavoidable) and the Beehive House (Brigham's first home).  The state Capitol is a fairly easy jaunt up State Street from downtown.

Oh, and pay attention to the statue of Brigham Young downtown--notice how his back is to the Temple and his hand is reaching out to the bank (or at least it was a bank when I was growing up).

The Kauffman Military Museum is at Ft. Douglas, which is up in the foothills by the University of Utah.  It is not within easy walking distance (probably 2 miles from downtown), but there are numerous buses, and I think even lightrail now which could take you right there.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2004, 05:20:39 PM by JMK »

JMK

« Reply #141 on: February 26, 2004, 05:22:16 PM »

I think the sitcom about the tv star had Clu Gulager in it.  WEHT to Clu?  Does anybody have a Clu?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #142 on: February 26, 2004, 05:24:49 PM »

It's been happening sporadically for the last three hours.  I'm going to send an e-mail to the tech support people who handle us, and hopefully I'll find out what's going on.  It doesn't seem to last more than a few seconds, so it may just be some glitch they're experiencing.

MBarnum

« Reply #143 on: February 26, 2004, 05:28:42 PM »

In case you haven't caught the humor - you ,the professional writer, mispelled "attendant", me, the eternal critic missed the error, and the Canadian GLBT site also has the same misspelling)!

It must be a Gay Gene thing.

Ha, ha! Actually with me it is just the lazy forgot to reread my post before hitting "post" thing! I am sure my spelling at times on this board is atrocious, particularly when I am posting from work and I am trying to be sneaky and quick so as not to be seen on the internet  by any co-workers! Snicker!

Is there a spell check on this here sight?

Tomovoz

« Reply #144 on: February 26, 2004, 05:28:57 PM »

Thanks Jose from Magnus. He will settle for the virtual until you bring the real thing. He seems fine (we have removed the collar/bucket from his head). Fosca is also very pleased to have her little brother (by three weeks) home.
Thanks also to MBarnum and Freddy.
I have not really explained that Freddy and Miss Vickie are not dogs. As far as I know, Magnus has not met a cat.

Error message appears to be the same one I had a few days back.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

MBarnum

« Reply #145 on: February 26, 2004, 05:34:15 PM »

thanks Jose, MattH, and Danise...I am feeling a bit better in that I have my appetite back and in fact am quite hungry right now. So shortly I shall fix me some soup and watch some TV.

And a big ole thanks to Tomovoz who has swiftly carried me from India to Iceland! I am loving this tape of Icelandic pop songs that just arrived in the mail today! They are all quite catchy!! You must really have a most unusual CD collection Tom! Thank you, thank you!

DERBRUCER

« Reply #146 on: February 26, 2004, 05:48:17 PM »

Is there a spell check on this here sight?

Nope - I often cut to Word, spell check, and paste back
(also keeps a copy of the post for when it gets lost in cyberspace during the posting process).
« Last Edit: February 26, 2004, 05:48:51 PM by DERBRUCER »

Tomovoz

« Reply #147 on: February 26, 2004, 05:50:39 PM »

I hope you don't become an ice maiden as a result MBarnum.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

DERBRUCER

« Reply #148 on: February 26, 2004, 05:53:25 PM »

Bought my Le Miz tickets today.  I'll get to see that the weekend after I come home from Utah.  

Remember to potty first! The first Act is a bladder buster!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #149 on: February 26, 2004, 05:53:59 PM »

Whatever the problem was it's been solved.  I spoke to tech support, and they found the glitch and fixed it right away.  Now, at least, I know where and who to call when there are problems since Mr. Mark Bakalor isn't hosting us anymore.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up