Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: MY USUAL SELF  (Read 30529 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
MY USUAL SELF
« on: February 26, 2004, 12:01:58 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you know from the notes, the notes know from you, who could ask for anything more?
« Last Edit: February 27, 2004, 12:01:25 AM by bk »

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
Re:MY USUAL SELF
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2004, 12:10:15 AM »

I had a physics teacher named Mr. Lent in high school. I hated physics. And I wasn't very fond of Mr. Lent. So could I give up Lent for Lent?

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2004, 12:14:31 AM »

So could I give up Lent for Lent?

So cruel to give him up, why not let him go temporarily; run an ad:

Lent to Rent for Lent

We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Panni

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2004, 12:16:15 AM »

Why am I not sleepy?? I've been up since 5:30 AM. It's been a very weird day. Had the scariest experience early this morning. Was taking my morning walk and I suddenly couldn't breathe and started to black out. Luckily I was right beside a row of trash cans, so I grabbed onto one and leaned on it until my breath came back. Then I was fine and finished my walk, no problem. Maybe this is the Twilight Zone and I'm actually lying dead next to the trash can  - and that's why I'm not sleepy. The Dead don't get sleepy. Cue Rod. Cue Music.

Tomovoz

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2004, 12:19:52 AM »

The songs of my childhood were the popular novelty songs of the day. Patti Page "How Much Is that Doggie In The Window", Rosemary Clooney with "Where Will the Dimple Be? and Frankie Laine & Jimmy Boyd with "Tell Me A Story". I also remember liking and singing along with Rusty Draper's "The Railroad Runs Through The Middle Of The House" and Rosemary Clooney & Gordon McRae singing "The Place Where I Worship".  I also remember thinking how clever was the Dinah Shore song "Sweet Violets".
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Panni

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2004, 12:22:11 AM »

Lent to Rent for Lent
Clever! I may not be sleepy, but my brain is fried, otherwise I'd try an continue it. Maybe one of the other late night denizens...

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2004, 12:22:14 AM »

Not  necessarily "childhood" songs - but actual songs targeted to young listeners.

Panni

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2004, 12:25:11 AM »

Childhood songs. I don't think I liked children's songs when I was a child. We had a fake Jolson album - someone singing Jolson songs, imitating him. I used to sing along with that. "Sonny Boy" was a favorite. I was a weird kid.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2004, 12:31:45 AM »

As promised last night:

In Defense of Gay Marriage

(excerpts)

So just shut up and buy Adam and Steve a nice present already

by Jim Washburn

Responding to the Massachusetts ruling, Bush released a statement saying, "Marriage is a sacred institution between a man and a woman. If activist judges insist on re-defining marriage by court order, the only alternative will be the constitutional process. We must do what is legally necessary to defend the sanctity of marriage."

Before we all go into knee-jerk paroxysms of knee-slapping hilarity over this non-issue being hoisted by these moral morons, consider their side for a minute: Does allowing gays to marry threaten the institution of marriage?

If you really think about it, the answer is an unequivocal yes.

If you’re straight and married, you’ve almost certainly got gay people to thank for it. Wedding planners, florists, clothiers, hairstylists, caterers, priests: it’s no mere stereotype that these professions abound in gay folk, and your wedding would have been drab if not impossible without them. Add to that the gay friends and officemates who make such a pleasant and positive fuss about your nuptials. And TV’s Queer Eye spiff-up squad is only a distillation of what gay people have been doing for ages: making straight men and women look desirable, or at least survivable, to each other so that they might hook up.

If gays were busy getting married themselves, do you think they’d have time to preen the rest of us? We’d all be back in the trailer park in our overalls, picking scabs off our unmoisturized faces and wondering why the phone doesn’t ring. It is only because gays can’t marry that they get caught up at all in the romance and filigree of heterosexual marriage, and they’d be off us like fleas off a wet dog if they could go to weddings that didn’t depend upon our breeder antics. It’s not just marriage, but the very survival of the species that depends upon gays being forcibly kept—by constitutional amendment, if need be—in their role as our eternal best men and bridesmaids.
But gay marriage would make a mockery of marriage! And that’s the job of heterosexuals, right? Can they possibly screw it up worse than straight folks? The divorce rate’s higher than 50 percent, and couples are bailing out of marriages quicker than ever; something like 60 percent of married men and 40 percent of married women have extramarital affairs; and their kids who aren’t busy shooting their classmates are packed with so many pills they sound like maracas when you shake them.

But for all of history, marriage has meant the sacred bond between a man and a woman! Except for when it meant a man and several women, or a man and a woman and his deceased brother’s wife, or a man and his slave, which wasn’t significantly different from being his wife since women were chattel with no say in their own lives and certainly no vote. Let’s be guided in all things by historical precedent, shall we? I’ll go lock up the slaves and child laborers while you go get the horse—but don’t hook no buggy to it because that ain’t how we done things—and we’ll go downtown and shout down those apostates trying to introduce antibiotics, electricity, pavement, baseball and all that other newfangled nonsense.

But what about the Bible? Oh, you mean the part where Jesus chased the gays from the temple with a stick? Hold on, I read that wrong: it was the money changers Jesus was after, suggesting that today he’d be whacking heads on Wall Street not Christopher Street. But what about the time he berated the mob of gay people? Oops, sorry, it wasn’t gays; it was a mob of judgmental zealots that he told off, remember, when he admonished that only he who was without sin should cast the first stone.

Panni

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2004, 12:31:45 AM »

Oh. New definition. Songs targeted to young listeners. Skinny Mi Rink (sp?) - Sharon, Lois and Brams's Elephant Song.
And Supercalifragilistic (sp.) from Mary Poppins.
More tomorrow. I really should at least get into bed. Maybe if I snuggle in and read, I'll fall asleep. 'Night all.
Good good good vibes to all who read this.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2004, 01:00:15 AM »

I was silent (meaning non-posting) over the last couple of hours or so because I was catching up on reading the posts as well as being interrupted by "The Daily Show With Jon Stewart" and "South Park" (it was absolutely hysterical!  The boys t.p.'d their art teacher's house and the cop had to get information from a Hannibal Lechter-like kid who was also a t.p.er).  Then on a local cable access channel, they were showing "Classic Arts Showcase" and Samuel Ramey (sp?) was singing "Joey, Joey, Joey" from The Most Happy Fella.  I knew that he had recorded the song, but I didn't know that he (an opera singer) had made a music video of a musical theater song.  Pretty cool...well, the idea behind it, I mean.  The video itself was kind of boring.

As for the Topic of the Day:
"Bare Necessities" from "The Jungle Book"
"Zip-A-De-Do-Da" from “Song of the South” (I can remember seeing this in the very early 1970s when my dad was in the army and we lived in Germany)
"Snoopy and the Red Baron" (I consider this a children’s song...even if it wasn’t originally intended to be)
Other than those, I don’t think I really cared for "children’s songs."
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2004, 01:21:56 AM »

And Supercalifragilistic (sp.) from Mary Poppins.
Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious.

Dociousaliexpisticfragilcalirupes being a case of going too far.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2004, 02:57:32 AM »

DR JOSE I love "Ice Castles."  

Hmmmmmmm....first song that came to my mind was Hey Jimmy Joe John Jim Jack sung by Miss Debbie Reynolds!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2004, 04:22:31 AM »

I think everyone who uses EBAY and/or PayPal has done that at least once.  I know I did - the email makes it sound so urgent...."do this NOW to protect your account...."  And it was a pain in the neck, I had to get a new credit card and change all my accounts....it was mess.  Now I just delete them - or forward them to spoof@paypal.com and ask if it is legitimate before responding.  

OH - I just bought the 4 OMEN movies in one DVD set for about $23!  Whew....I logged on to buy CAMP, and just happened to think of THE OMEN - and there it was!  

I think my favorite is OMEN 3 with Sam Neilll....whew!

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2004, 05:24:28 AM »

BK, I sort of hate to tell you this, but Lent started yesterday, so it's too late to give up stupidity now.  Instead, think of something you didn't do or didn't have yesterday, and continue not to do it or have it until Easter.  It may be retro-lenting, but at least it's retro.  And anything that's retro is trendy and cool!

I happen to be an old hand at giving up things for Lent.  I'm very detailed and organized with my self-sacrifices.  I keep tabs on everything through spreadsheets and my PDA.  This year I'm giving up potato-chips and chocolate.

Favorite childhood song?  I have two.  The first is "Found a Peanut".  It had humor, drama, pathos and irony--it was an emotional roller coaster of a song!  I also like something that I think was called "The Orchestra".  The teacher would divide the class into groups and each group would sing about a musical instrement and then all the groups would sing together in counterpoint.  I was always in the clarenet group.  The real neat thing about this song was that, at the end, when all the groups were singing their parts, you could pretty much get away with singing whatever you wanted.  My best friend (a fellow clarenetist) and I would often go off on a verse of "The Name Game":  "Chuck!  Chuck! Bo buck! Banana fanna fo--" well you get the ideal.

I also enjoyed listening to the Mary Poppins soundtrack a lot.  "I Love to Laugh" was probably my favorite track.

DVD question:  I want to buy the UPSTAIRS, DOWNSTAIRS Complete Series boxed set but I've heard that the transfers are so bad, I might as well save money and buy it on VHS.  Can anyone verify if this is true or not?  Thanks...
« Last Edit: February 26, 2004, 05:28:17 AM by Dan (the Man) »
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2004, 05:32:18 AM »

Childrens' songs!  I really like some of the Christmas ones:

1.  I'm gettin' nothin' for Christmas (Barry Gordon)
2.  Suzy Snowflake (Rosemary Clooney) and I seem to recall a sequel, "Egbert the Easter Egg" as well on Little Golden Records
3..  Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer (Gene Autry)

I can only think of one Classical to enter the Pantheon:

4.  Evening Prayer from Hansel & Gretel (Elisabeth Schwarzkopf/Elisabeth Grummer)

A lot of my favorite Disney songs, while written for films in the family market, seem to me more geared to the adults in the family, such as "The Second Star to the Right" and "When you Wish Upon A Star," even Peggy Lee's "He's A Tramp," so I'll mention only a few Disney I loved as a kid:

5.  Zip-a-dee-doo-dah
6.  Bibbidi-Bobbidi-Boo (Verna Felton)
7,  I've Got No Strings (I always liked Barbra on this one)
8.  Heigh-ho and all the other Dwarf songs, especially "Silly song"
9.  Painting the Roses Red (Mellow Men?)
10.  Bare Necessities (who did sing that?(

In musical theatre, there have been tons of family musicals, so a few I like would be these:

11.  March of the Toys and almost the entire score of BABES IN TOYLAND
12.  Raggedy Ann (Kern) from STEPPING STONES
13.  Wendy (Mary Martin)
14.  March of the Siamese Children
15.  Whistle a Happy Tune

Film and television:

16.  In My Own Little Corner (Julie Andrews)
17.  The Good Lord's Blessing (Mr Magoo's Christmas Carol), but "Winter Was Warm," which I love, is not a children's song
18.  Wonderful Copenhagen (drove my mother crazy with it!)

19.  This Old Man (wasn't that used in a film?)

On another classical sideline, if you DRs don't know Roger Quilter's "Children's Overture" you might want to hear what he does with a bunch of nursery rhymes.
It's a great piece of light classical music.

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2004, 05:52:37 AM »

I also like something that I think was called "The Orchestra".  The teacher would divide the class into groups and each group would sing about a musical instrement and then all the groups would sing together in counterpoint.  I was always in the clarenet group.  The real neat thing about this song was that, at the end, when all the groups were singing their parts, you could pretty much get away with singing whatever you wanted.

I did that with my song improv class last night.  Had everybody choose an orchestral instrument, and we improvised a symphony.

"Feed the Birds" is my favorite song written for children.

It was Walt Disney's, too.  He had a piano in his office, and, during the making of Mary Poppins, would often have the Sherman Brothers come in and sing it for him.  The brilliance of Mary Poppins is due, in part, to the hands-on approach of a studio head: The Sherman Brothers played a lot a songs for Disney which he rejected, sending them back to the drawing board again and again.

"Hey Jimmy Joe John Jim Jack" as recorded by The Limelighters, was my favorite children's song when I was a child.

But it was actually not written for children, but the rather adult musical, Let 'Em Ride.  (I don't mean in the x-rated sense.)  My appreciation for this song, expressed a year ago on ratm, sent the Scourge of Ratm, Stephen Newport, into such a lather he started bad-mouthing me on animal rights newsgroups (!).  He  sees malicious torture where it ain't, and misses it in his own behavior.

There's always something wrong with America, right?  A president gets to look at the country, with all its problems, and prioritize, proclaiming: "This is what I want to fix."  Does anybody believe that what's wrong with America today is gay marriage?  And, a few years ago, the inheritance tax?  His father passed only one piece of major domestic legislation (the disabilities act) and was decried for "the vision thing."  But looking at America today and thinking "We need to ban gay marriages in the constitution" goes beyond myopia.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Ben

« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2004, 05:54:31 AM »

Larry (elmore3003) asked:

10.  Bare Necessities (who did sing that?)

It was Phil Harris, wasn't it? In the Jungle Book movie if I'm remembering correctly.

I like the John Lithgow CD Singin' in the Bathtub with all sorts of kid's songs or songs aimed at a young listener.

I also love I've Got No Strings (again thanks to Larry for mentioning it).

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2004, 05:56:14 AM »

Aha - reading all the wonderful choices!

When I was a child, I heard a song in a movie, and I learned it (since it was sung SEVERAL times in said movie) bought the record....and even though there are others I like A LOT....this is my favorite.

By the original singer....Miss Doris Day....

QUE SERA SERA

td

• td
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2004, 05:58:05 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~ ~ ~ ~ ~ MINX sends good vibes to MAGNUS ~ ~ ~ ~ ~[/move]

I think that DR Elmore stole my childhood songs!   ;)

Still, i'd add:
"The Dressing Song" - 5,000 Fingers of Dr. T.
"I Can't Do the Sum" - Babes in Toyland (Oooh! Annette!)
"I'm Henry the Eighth, I Am" - Herman's Hermits
"Little One" - High Society
"Mairzy Doats and Dozey Oats"
"High Hopes" - A Hole in the Head
"Inchworm" - Hans Christian Anderson
"The Monkey's Uncle" - (Oooh! Annette again!)
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Ben

« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2004, 06:12:36 AM »

Also The Tiny Scout from An Affair to Remember (I love that movie - hankies at the ready)

And even though they are very adult-oriented, I love the Alan Sherman parodies.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2004, 06:39:40 AM »

There was a children's show host in Chicago during the very early days of television in Chicago named Dick "Two Ton" Baker and he sang songs like "I'm A Lonely Little Petunia in an Onion Patch" and "I'm a Little Teapot".  I liked those and "The Itsy Bitsy Spider".
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Jennifer

« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2004, 06:39:50 AM »

Good vibes to doggie Magnum on a speedy recovery ~~~~~~~~~~~

Btw BK, aren't you Jewish. Why are you giving up anything for Lent? :)

Thinking about your paypal fraud email, I think what happened will help many people (at least everyone here).  I've gotten fraudulent paypal emails before.  But never one where they are able to show your username.  Some of us might think that the only way they can scam us is if we ENTER our personal info.  Some of us might not realize that simply entering our password could give them this info.  So really you've done us a public service. Feel better now? :)

Btw, I'm sure everything will be fine. You were quick to act on it. And if they had done anything, wouldn't it have been yesterday?
« Last Edit: February 26, 2004, 06:42:25 AM by Jennifer »

Jennifer

« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2004, 06:47:24 AM »

Re: last night's American Idol.

Obviously LaToya was going to move on. I'm very surprised all 3 judges thought Leah would be the second.  I did like her.  But I did not think she would be in the top 3 last night.

Somewhat predictably (especially if you read the idolonfox message board) it was Amy (pink hair) second and Jon (pen salesman) third.  I actually really wanted Jon to advance (although I was pretty sure he wouldn't).

Anyone have any guesses for the wildcard show?

I think #3 guy from the first show. Maybe Lisa from last week's show (since the judges thought she was robbed), and hopefully jon, leah, and eric from last night's show.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2004, 07:02:37 AM »

19.  This Old Man (wasn't that used in a film?)

Yup. Extracted from Republican News:

Close to the bone
By Eoghan Mac Cormaic

My own favourite, ever since I first saw Ingrid Bergmann in `The Inn of the Sixth Happiness', was `This Old Man'. Remember it? This old man, he played one, he played knick-knack on my thumb, with a knick-knack paddy-whack give the dog a bone, this old man came rolling home'. A classic.

der Brucer (see third word of quote and author's name for a hint about the source)

DERBRUCER

« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2004, 07:07:35 AM »

Btw BK, aren't you Jewish. Why are you giving up anything for Lent? :)

Jewish men give up a lot very early in life.

der Brucer - HHW honarary mohel

DERBRUCER

« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2004, 07:17:37 AM »

Gay Marriage hits a bump(er)!

A Florida woman was upset when here husband of 10 years came out of the closet and met a man and filed for divorce. His wife strongly opposes gay marriages like our dear President. He decided to create a bumper sticker that reads the following:

"If you let us marry each other...we will stop marrying YOU!"

Did not see it yet but did see an interesting bumper sticker at a GOP gathering and the sales person was wondering why several guys bought a batch of them.

For sale at a GOP gathering:

SINGLE & CONSERVATIVE....
 Looking for Mr. Right

The sales person was wondering why several guys bought a batch of them ::)

der Brucer (wondering about stickers for hogs - the "vrooom" type, not the "oink" type)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2004, 07:51:19 AM »

It's a cinch one of the judges will pick Leah fro last night as a wild card. I thought Lisa from last week was more talented than Leah, so I hope someone else remembers her. Matthew Metzger was the fella from the first show who finished third. I did not think he had a very versatile voice, at least not in the song he sang that night, but both he and Jon seem to be audience favorites so one of them might very well be the audience wild card selection.

Just a comment: it's snowing like crazy here and supposed to go on all day and night. A real blizzard for the South!
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2004, 07:55:34 AM »

Growing up PETER PAN was always my favorite Disney film (I fully believed one day scientists would develop a pill that would allow everyone to fly), so the songs from it, especially "You Can Fly" and "The Second Star to the Right" were sung and played on the piano all the time. When I saw the Mary Martin PETER PAN, I also added "Neverland," "I Gotta Crow," and "I'm Flying."

When my brother had his first child, my mom used to babysit a lot, and I heard her sing "Little Sir Echo" to my nephew all the time. She said it was my favorite song as a baby, but I didn't remember it at all.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2004, 08:02:16 AM »

Snow!!!???

DRNOEL - I liked the Limelighters version of  Hey, JJJJJ, as well....heard them sing it at a Pavilion during the 1964 World's Fair in New York...Flushing Meadow, I think....  Have you heard Debbie's version?  It's a kick!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up