Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 15   Go Down

Author Topic: THE SWIMMING HEAD  (Read 35327 times)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
Re:THE SWIMMING HEAD
« Reply #150 on: June 25, 2007, 11:08:26 AM »

By coincidence, I tried to watch the DVD of Godspell after we got home.

I'd forgotten how bad it was.   :P
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #151 on: June 25, 2007, 11:09:02 AM »

And not even Victor Garber dancing the Page Six Dance could redeem that film.   :P
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #152 on: June 25, 2007, 11:16:39 AM »

Today is my lone day off from work this week.

We're celebrating by taking grandlad William to swimming lessons, and attending grandlad Alex's final baseball game of the year.

After that, I don't think I get to rest much until after the Fourth of July.  If then.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #153 on: June 25, 2007, 11:20:43 AM »

It's funny about the film of Godspell - I went to a matinee showing in Westwood when we were in rehearsals for Forget-Me-Not Lane at the Taper.  I had a Sunday off, or maybe I had a late call mid-week.  For some reason I really enjoyed it and found it quite entertaining and liked the location filming.  Then I didn't see it for twenty years, and I was shocked to watch it and realize just how awful it is.  I could barely get through it.  But if I were like all those imdb yokels, I'd go on there and say "MASTERPIECE" - I saw it when it came out and LOVED it, and therefore I LOVE it now."  So much of the moviegoing experience is tied to how you were feeling at the time you saw things - what your mood was, how your life was, etc.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #154 on: June 25, 2007, 11:34:41 AM »

I liked Godspell more when I first saw it, back in my college days.

I didn't know much, back then.

Time to leave for swimming lessons.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #155 on: June 25, 2007, 11:43:31 AM »

TOD:
Mame
Xanadu however it is a bit of cheesy fun - it does have some good music
Grease II was a horrendous rip off of Grease. It is BAD!!! I did not like it at all.
Chorus Line is watchable but the stage version is much better.  I would take it any day over an Adam Sandler film.

Not a huge fan of Tommy or Hair [film versions]

Brigadoon is one of my guilty pleasures as is BAbes in Toyland

I am mixed on how I feel about Oklahoma! for I have never seen the stage version and only the film version. It has some very catchy tunes.

LIked Chicago, Music Man, My FAir Lady (Audrey was excellent) and  Grease.
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #156 on: June 25, 2007, 11:43:58 AM »

For DRLaua & Sandra:

Plaid Tidings

Our favorite squeaky-clean 1960’s guy group is back again with a new show. Once more they are allowed to slip through the thinning ozone layer to return to Earth on “an undisclosed mission to perform Harmonal duties.” At least part of their mission involves creating a Plaids Christmas Special as their idol, Perry Como, used to do. In addition to “new” old songs like: Stranger in Paradise, Sh-Boom, Amor, Mambo Italiano, Hey There, and Bésame Mucho, we are also treated to a snowstorm of classic holiday songs with crystalline harmonies and arrangements: Let It Snow, Carol of the Bells, Joy to the World, Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas, I’ll Be Home for Christmas, Cool Yule. Plus a new edition of the Ed Sullivan Show in 3 minutes and 11 seconds! Great fun for the whole family.

November 16 -- December 31
Previews November 14 & 15

Performances nightly @ 8:00 except
November 19, 22, 27, December 4, 11, 18, 24 & 25
Also Sunday brunch matinees @ 1:00

Previews $19; Sunday Evenings $19; Sunday Matinees $23; Weeknight $23/$25; Friday/Saturday Evenings $27/$29

Oregon Cabaret Theatre, Inc.
Box Office (541) 488-2902

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #157 on: June 25, 2007, 11:45:05 AM »

I don't care for GODSPELL the movie now nor did I like it then.  For one thing, I can't stand "Beautiful City".  For another, it looks like it was filmed by the same guy who did the Burger King commercials back then.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #158 on: June 25, 2007, 11:46:43 AM »

The stage version of Annie is much better. I was not a fan of the movie version but it was watchable. Watched it once and that was enough
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #159 on: June 25, 2007, 11:47:32 AM »

I can safely say I have never seen Godspell

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #160 on: June 25, 2007, 11:48:42 AM »

Jesus Christ, Jesus Christ!
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #161 on: June 25, 2007, 11:49:07 AM »

That's a line from GODSPELL.  I don't mean to offend.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #162 on: June 25, 2007, 11:50:05 AM »

I'm having trouble with the last question of the Unseemly Trivia Contest.
-- Anaïs Nin

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #163 on: June 25, 2007, 11:57:07 AM »

Good Afternoon!

Well, I hope DR MusicGuy has landed safely at LGA and is on his way into the City by now.
Make Your Own Luck.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #164 on: June 25, 2007, 11:58:25 AM »

Are you going to see Plaid Tidings, Jane? It is a lot of fun. We saw it every year when it was in Pasadena, then the last two years when it was in Las Vegas. I do not know what we will do next year, now that Plaid has closed in Las Vegas.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #165 on: June 25, 2007, 11:59:40 AM »

Well, it appears they really like me.  The really, really like me.  I'm now covering a few more rehearsals for A Chorus Line, as well as a few more performances.  And my debut of Key 2 has been moved up from next weekend to the matinee of July 4.  Heck, for a "sub", I sure do seem to be playing a lot.  HOO and RAY!
« Last Edit: June 25, 2007, 12:00:15 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #166 on: June 25, 2007, 12:02:26 PM »

I've always liked the movie of Godspell.  Don't know why, I just do.  However, the movie of Jesus Christ Superstar is another story.  I don't mind watching it, but I also don't mind not watching it.  -And when I watch it now, I usually end up playing, "I Spy Baay(ork)!".  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #167 on: June 25, 2007, 12:04:05 PM »

DR singdaw - Aw!  Thank You for your lovely package.  Or something like that.  ::)
Make Your Own Luck.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #168 on: June 25, 2007, 12:05:30 PM »

I've always liked the movie of Godspell.  Don't know why, I just do.  ;)

It's because you're a young, positive, upbeat person.

You see it through different eyes than many of the rest of us.

I was never wholly fond of it as I was too into "traditional" Hollywood musicals.

Oddly, though, "Jesus Christ Superstar" was quite satisfying.  I still find it so after all these years, too.  Dunno why.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2007, 12:16:44 PM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #169 on: June 25, 2007, 12:05:59 PM »

...And I also received a big ole packet from the Walt Disney/Fidelity Investments Services Co. today.  Hmm...  I've only ever done contract work for them, and I don't ever recall having money taken out of my checks for any type of savings/retirment plan, but apparently, I did.   Guess I should make a phone call or two.
Make Your Own Luck.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #170 on: June 25, 2007, 12:08:31 PM »

What song did Charlotte Rae sing/not sing?

"My Conviction"
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #171 on: June 25, 2007, 12:10:36 PM »

Back to an earlier time, they ruined LADY IN THE DARK, too.

They were ruining them long before that! Much as I like several of Jeannette MacDonald's films, all of them from THE MERRY WIDOW on diverge wildly from the stage originals.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jane

« Reply #172 on: June 25, 2007, 12:12:35 PM »

Jose-Of course they like you! :D

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #173 on: June 25, 2007, 12:13:33 PM »

As for PHANTOM OF THE OPERA, I found the leads all lacking. Butler's untrained voice was a chore to listen to after awhile (though I enjoyed LOOKING at him; he's got the charisma in spades.)

Emily Rossum had ZERO spark for me, and her voice was so tinny that the songs lost any interest and color they might have had with a more experienced singing actress.

Patrick Wilson had the voice, but his screen persona is so bland that I was pulling for the Phantom at every moment of their encounters. I didn't want him to end up with Christine.

I must concur with DR MATTH on this--I found the film lacking. I wanted to like it, but just couldn't.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #174 on: June 25, 2007, 12:13:41 PM »

TCM's Gay Images in film continues tonight with TEA AND SYMPATHY, but I'm more interested in STAIRCASE which is being shown at midnight. I've never seen this, and while I understand it's terrible, I'm interested to see what Stanley Donen did with these two male stars in such an offbeat piece of material.

Wait till you see Cathleen Nesbit in it! I think it's she in the role of the mother.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #175 on: June 25, 2007, 12:15:00 PM »

Just been doing Brain work here, trying to figure everything out.  Haven't had my NYMF call returned yet, but hopefully it will be soon.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #176 on: June 25, 2007, 12:16:10 PM »

Hmm... So, I guess they are making opera singers - at least the men - take their shirts off during auditions now.   -From the current Covent Garden production of Mozart's Don Giovanni:

Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #177 on: June 25, 2007, 12:16:55 PM »

Oops... I didn't realize all the pics were linked.  But since it didn't put us into Cinemascope...
Make Your Own Luck.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #178 on: June 25, 2007, 12:18:19 PM »

Hmm... So, I guess they are making opera singers - at least the men - take their shirts off during auditions now.   -From the current Covent Garden production of Mozart's Don Giovanni:

There are at least three guys in those photos you just KNOW didn't take off their shirts!
« Last Edit: June 25, 2007, 12:18:51 PM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jane

« Reply #179 on: June 25, 2007, 12:19:30 PM »

Are you going to see Plaid Tidings, Jane? It is a lot of fun. We saw it every year when it was in Pasadena, then the last two years when it was in Las Vegas. I do not know what we will do next year, now that Plaid has closed in Las Vegas.

We have never seen them.  

We would happily go see the show with company & there is now a non-stop flight from Phoenix to Medford.  Ashland is about a two day road trip away.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 15   Go Up