Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: JUST THE FACTS, MA'AM  (Read 23285 times)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re:JUST THE FACTS, MA'AM
« Reply #90 on: March 29, 2008, 11:36:25 AM »

Detrain! Detrain!

http://www.weirdasianews.com/2008/03/11/shopping-while-dodging-trains-bankock-style/

That clip actually brings back a few memories from the one and only time I visited the Philippines when I was six years old... As well as when I worked in Nappanee, Indiana.  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #91 on: March 29, 2008, 11:37:06 AM »

Add to my TOD list:

Mr. Minnelli's "An American in Paris" -- exquisitely filmed in Technicolor, it's a joyous explosion of color and light and music.  The Gershwin score  is magnificently orchestrated and performed. By no stretch of the imagination a perfect film, it's overlong and has an Oscar-winning screenplay that was not worthy of a nomination.  What it does have is a glorious "I Got Rhythm" with Gene Kelly and some adorable kids, a hauntingly beautiful "Our Love is Here to Stay" pas de deux by the rvierside between Kelly and Leslie Caron; an infectiously delightful "I'll Build A Stairway to Paradise" with Georges Guetary on a stairway featuring director Vincente Minnelli's landmark lighted-stair-step effect; and one of the screen's great leaps of imagination -- the "An American in Paris" ballet featuring sets designed to  recreate great works by French artists brought to scintillating life by Minnelli, Caron and a terrific Hollywood corps de ballet.  There are dollops of kitsch, sappy sentiment, a rather sad  character played by Nina Foch, and more than  one or two groans liberally strewn throughout, but they never affect the musical presentation except, perhaps, in the numbers  featuring Oscar Levant...but then when did anyone ever capture the sardonic humor and wit that  Oscar  Levant  was supposed to have been famous for.  Dated, yes.  But its great moments are  truly great.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2008, 11:58:28 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #92 on: March 29, 2008, 11:37:51 AM »

PAGE FOUR MISS PETTIGREW DANCE

Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #93 on: March 29, 2008, 11:40:32 AM »

As for the Topic of the Day...

Off the top of my head - which is currently in a cookie-baking-induced haze - the three that come to mind right now for me are:

"An American In Paris"
"The King & I"
"Tommy"

And I guess I'd have to add my sentimental favorite - and source of my first audition song - "Flower Drum Song".  :)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #94 on: March 29, 2008, 11:43:14 AM »

Well, I have some cleaning up to do.  The bowls, cookie sheets and baking utensils are already washed, dried and (almost) put away, but now I need to get myself all washed, dried and put away.  ;)

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #95 on: March 29, 2008, 11:54:25 AM »

DR Jose, those peanut butter cookies look yummy, baked just the way I like them.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #96 on: March 29, 2008, 11:56:23 AM »

DR Jose, those peanut butter cookies look yummy, baked just the way I like them.

I was searching for a pattern among the cookie sheets.  I thought I detected batches of 12, but then one batch had only 11, and a  couple of batches seemed to have only 9 or 10.  So....hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm........

I guess the baker has some prerogatives.    ;D
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #97 on: March 29, 2008, 12:05:28 PM »

I've been working on my reports and listening to "Windflowers: The Songs of Jerome Moross." Philip Chaffin began "Ridin' On The Breeze" and I totally lost it. It's like "The Cowboy Waltz" sung by Mr Guy Haines: somethng in the performance, the text, and the music reaches into your chest, grabs your heart, and tears it out.

DR Ron Pulliam and I will have to disagree on AN AMERICAN IN PARIS, even though my beloved Johnny Green worked on it: I don't like the musical arrangements, I detest the Big Ballet primarily because I think Irene Sharaff's work is ugly, I love Leslie Caron in everything but this. I did like Georges Guetary and Nina Foch.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #98 on: March 29, 2008, 12:11:18 PM »

...somethng in the performance, the text, and the music reaches into your chest, grabs your heart, and tears it out. ...
OK, a little graphic but I get the idea.

;)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #99 on: March 29, 2008, 12:13:23 PM »

Which reminds me, re the TOD:

Raiders of the Lost Ark
Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #100 on: March 29, 2008, 12:27:05 PM »

It's sort of cheating, since animated films are pure graphic arts by nature...

Sleeping Beauty
Tim Burton's The Nightmare Before Christmas
The Incredibles
The Hunchback of Notre Dame

I'm certain our esteemed BK could point out one or two of Miyazaki's ouvre as examples - I'm really only familiar with Spirited Away (my bad).

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #101 on: March 29, 2008, 12:27:36 PM »

Time to do an Hasta La.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #102 on: March 29, 2008, 12:52:38 PM »

Good Afternoon!

Well, I'm all ready to head out with my box of goodies for the denizens of the orchestra pit of the New Amsterdam Theatre, but before I do...
« Last Edit: March 29, 2008, 12:52:59 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

Cillaliz

« Reply #103 on: March 29, 2008, 12:58:20 PM »

DR Cilla, I’m sorry about your squirrel.  In the past we have become attached to some of our backyard visitors.

Thanks.  I know it sounds goofy, but he was so unique.  It was definitely him.  There are a couple squirrels out there today, but none of them are even going near the bird feeder.  Twinkletoes would have been dangling there all day.  

Cillaliz

« Reply #104 on: March 29, 2008, 01:03:02 PM »

I am glad I got some good photos of him yesterday. I've got to work with them a little beacuse shooting through the screen is difficult.  I may frame a couple of the best ones of the cats looking at him

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #105 on: March 29, 2008, 01:08:23 PM »

I was searching for a pattern among the cookie sheets.  I thought I detected batches of 12, but then one batch had only 11, and a  couple of batches seemed to have only 9 or 10.  So....hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm........

I guess the baker has some prerogatives.    ;D

DR Ron Pulliam - I guess I'm flattered in a sense that you chose to pay such close attention to the "patterns" on my cookie sheets, so, in return for your attention, I offer you the following breakdown:

I ended up with 35 Peanut Butter Cookies this time round.  The original recipe actually yields 18 large(!) cookies, but cookies that large just don't seem conducive to "friendly" distribution.  So, instead of using a 2 oz. scoop/disher, I used a 1 oz. one which sometimes yields me 36 cookies, sometimes 37, sometimes 35.  By the time I had taken the picture, I had already bagged up some of them.*

As for the Oatmeal-Chocolate Chip-Pecan Cookies, this morning I ended up with 46 cookies - which would explain the batch of 10 on one sheet.  The original recipe - which I doubled this morning - is supposed to yield about 36 cookies (so I should have ended up with 72 cookies, give or take a few), however, I make them slightly larger than the "rounded teaspoon" called for in the recipe.  (Again, I used my 1 oz. disher.)

*Since I had forgotten to adjust my baking time accordingly due to the smaller size of the cookies I was making, I ended up with one sheet getting a little "dark" on the bottom.  So, as soon as that batch was cool enough, I went ahead and tasted one just to see if tasted burnt.  It did taste a little burnt, but more like burnt caramel, rather than burnt flour.  Needless to say, the over-baked ones are not going to the theatre, but they should be good crumbled over some vanilla ice cream sometime later today.  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Cillaliz

« Reply #106 on: March 29, 2008, 01:10:56 PM »

Tonight is going to be a blast. Paul's show is graffiti and litter.  There has been a huge campaign here to stamp out both litter and graffiti. So, we are going to do a mock protest...picket with signs saying "Litter is a sin" "Stamp out graffiti" "Stencils aren't art" etc.  Paul will LOVE it. It's right in line with his sense of humor.  Then he'll see all of us wearing stenciled clothes of either his face or the logo of the show...a rat.

I'm taking my camera and decided today what to give him for his 60th birthday.  I have photos of all of his public art in progress and the finished product. I'm going to take my camera tonight and then start doing a book for him.  In addition to photos, I'm going to make stencils of some of the photos and put them in the book too.  I've watched him for so long that I know how to do it.   It will be a really big project, but I have until May 30 to complete it. The photo part will be easy, it's just the rest that will take me time.  I'm looking forward to it.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #107 on: March 29, 2008, 01:17:39 PM »

DR Jane - The Peanut Butter Cookie recipe I use is sort of unique.  First of all, the dough is mixed up, then scooped out into balls, then those are placed in the freezer to harden up for at least 30 minutes before baking.  They have a relatively high peanut butter to flour ratio (1-1/2 cups of PB to 1 cup of flour), so they need to firm up a bit before baking in order to help their "spread" as they bake.  -The recipe also calls for 2 cups of brown sugar, 2 eggs, 12 tablespoons of just-melted butter, (and 1-1/2 teaspoons of baking soda, 1 teaspoon of vanilla and 1 cup of coarsely chopped peanuts),so it's a very loose dough and needs the time in the freezer to firm up.  -The very nice thing about this part is that you can also make up a batch way in advance, and then bake them whenever you want to have a just-out-of-the-oven peanut butter cookie.

Secondly, when the cookies first come out of the oven, they are still quite fragile.  They have to cool before you can pick one up off of the cookie sheet without it falling apart in your hand.  Otherwise, it would be like eating "molten" dough.  Ouch!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #108 on: March 29, 2008, 01:19:24 PM »

DR Cillaliz -

-Sorry about squirrel.
-It's nice to know you can relax and have a bit of fun this weekend.
-Paul's exhibit - and art, in general - sounds and looks wonderful.
-Your gift idea is sure to be something he'll treasure.
Make Your Own Luck.

Cillaliz

« Reply #109 on: March 29, 2008, 01:27:00 PM »

DR Cillaliz -

-Sorry about squirrel.
-It's nice to know you can relax and have a bit of fun this weekend.
-Paul's exhibit - and art, in general - sounds and looks wonderful.
-Your gift idea is sure to be something he'll treasure.

Thanks Jose. I appreciate it.   Time to get moving. I have many things to do before going to the art center and only a couple hours to get it all done.  

Your cookies look wonderful....

Laters!

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #110 on: March 29, 2008, 01:29:58 PM »

Moulin Rouge

Luhrmann or Huston?

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #111 on: March 29, 2008, 01:37:32 PM »

DR Elmore:

You asked me about this the other day, and I'm happy to tell you that the second season DVD set of PSYCH will street (so sorry, DR George)

Yeasurewhatever.

;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #112 on: March 29, 2008, 01:38:50 PM »

Luhrmann or Huston?

der Brucer

There's more than one?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

DERBRUCER

« Reply #113 on: March 29, 2008, 01:59:55 PM »

I'm certain our esteemed BK could point out one or two of Miyazaki's ouvre as examples - I'm really only familiar with Spirited Away (my bad).

I'll say, "bad".

Also sitting on the shelves:

Howls Moving Castle
Princess Mononoke
Kiki's Delivery Service
Castle in the Sky

der Brucer

DERBRUCER

« Reply #114 on: March 29, 2008, 02:06:21 PM »

Add to my TOD list:

Well, if we're doing add-ons:

David Lean's Oscar (Best Cinematography and Set Direction) winning "Doctor Zhivago" - using essentially the same team as he did on L of A.

der Brucer

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #115 on: March 29, 2008, 02:09:56 PM »

Quite possibly...from near the end of season one?

Yes, m'am, as in J. O'M.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #116 on: March 29, 2008, 02:14:38 PM »

I've had a nice afternoon of viewing.

I began with two NUMB3RS episodes to complete the third season box set. The first was a good adventure tale with a truck full of $50 million and $2 million worth of drugs for the diseased in Africa hijacked by a gang and being chased not only for by FBI but also by a company who claimed the $50 million by rights belonged to it.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #117 on: March 29, 2008, 02:17:38 PM »

Thanks.  I know it sounds goofy, but he was so unique.  It was definitely him.  There are a couple squirrels out there today, but none of them are even going near the bird feeder.  Twinkletoes would have been dangling there all day.  

Why Twinkletoes was so agile:

Quick and nimble, tree squirrels are able to make their seemingly gravity-defying movements through the trees primarily because of the structure of their feet and ankles. Flexible and rotatable, the joints of their ankles can instantaneously adjust to most any surface, while their slender toes with sharp, pointed claws enable them to hold on. Thus, squirrels can easily accomplish feats, such as descending trees headfirst, at an astonishing pace with very little effort.

I have my own version who constantly delights by hanging upside-down to nibble at  the caged  bird-seed bar. He also enjoys a total upside gymnastic to defeat the "squirrel proof" bird feeder that would close up if he stepped on one of the perches. Who said "dumb beasts"? (While he is engaged in enjoying the birds food, they, in turn, are making frequent trips to his squirrel food box to steal corn and peanuts).

der Brucer

Matt H.

« Reply #118 on: March 29, 2008, 02:18:04 PM »

The second episode, the season finale, involved the introduction of a spy list called the Janus List spilled by a former MI-6 agent who had been poisoned and was dying. One of the names on the list was a HUGE, HUGE surprise cliffhanger for the end of the season. Since I'm not watching the show, I have no idea how this was resolved, but since the spy was a member of Don's FBI team, it was a big shock. I have to assume that this person was undercover in some way and not really a Chinese spy. Guess I'll have to be on the lookout for the Season 4 box set. Since it's a Paramount show, I should get it later this year to review.

Matt H.

« Reply #119 on: March 29, 2008, 02:20:13 PM »

Next, I finished watching APOLLO 13 on HD-DVD. Like '1776,' we go into the film knowing how it's going to turn out, and yet so craftily has the movie been put together that it's still super-suspenseful and a tremendously emotional experience watching it.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12   Go Up