Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: ALL THE NEWS THAT'S FIT TO PRINT  (Read 22710 times)

MBarnum

Re:ALL THE NEWS THAT'S FIT TO PRINT
« Reply #90 on: June 22, 2004, 10:56:40 AM »

DR MBarnum: I'm not lying about this, we were just sorting through the mail bins that came in and lo and behold, there was a postcard advertising your friend's show! We'll see if I can maybe make it...I'll try to bring friends from MTI.

Anyone else here a fan of corn pudding? Mmmm...

Cool! Do try to go Jason and take as many people with you as you can!!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #91 on: June 22, 2004, 10:57:09 AM »

OK - Time for me to log off my computer and get something done today... Anything done today... Well, I'm most likely heading up to school to get some more practice in...

-And I still want my music back! :(

OH! - But I did just get a good laugh from watching "The Bold & The Beautiful"! - That has the be THE biggest newborn baby ever!  EVER!!  And, of course, it was delivered at home.  In a candle filled bedroom.  And the cute doctor arrived just minutes after the the father - the REAL father - had delivered the baby.  Gotta love the soaps!
Make Your Own Luck.

MBarnum

« Reply #92 on: June 22, 2004, 10:58:07 AM »

I have never tried corn pudding but it sounds good!

I would love to try this Scapple that is being mentioned. I must find a place here that serves it!

Jason

« Reply #93 on: June 22, 2004, 11:00:22 AM »

OK. This is what's going to happen. When I get to Louisville, I'm going to post all of my mother's best recipes so all y'all can try 'em. I think you'll enjoy them.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #94 on: June 22, 2004, 11:02:37 AM »

RE: Corn pudding... YUMMERS!  Along with Spoon Bread, Cheddar Cheese Spoon Bread, Spinach "Souffle", Green Bean Casserole, etc...  The Ukrop's grocery store chain here in Richmond has a pretty good line of prepared foods.  Sometimes, I just make a meal from the side dishes!  Oh, and Broccoli and Rice (and Cheese) Casserole too!  ...And Cinnamon Apples... And... And... :D
« Last Edit: June 22, 2004, 11:05:06 AM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #95 on: June 22, 2004, 11:03:50 AM »

NOW I'm logging off... NOW! ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #96 on: June 22, 2004, 11:10:12 AM »

Some of the songs listed above for the 100 Best Movie Songs originated on Broadway.  Is the list songs written for the movies or songs from any source used in a movie?
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #97 on: June 22, 2004, 11:13:15 AM »

And George, when I get there, I'll post the recipe for that orange bundt cake, which also makes for a yummy breakfast treat.

Thank you!! ;D :-*
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #98 on: June 22, 2004, 11:21:31 AM »

I'm probably the only board member with a copy of Food Lover's Companion at hand, so here goes:

SCRAPPLE:  The name of this Pennsylvania Dutch dish is derived from the finely chopped "scraps" of cooked pork that are mixed with fine-ground cornmeal, pork broth and seasonings before being cooked into a mush.  The mush is packed into loaf pans and cooled.  Slices of the scrapple are cut from the loaves, fried in butter and served hot, usually for breakfast or brunch.

GRITS:  Though it's now commonly used to mean "hominy grits," the term "grits" actually refers to any coarsely ground grain such as corn, oats, or rice.  Most grits come in a choice of grinds - coarse, medium and fine.  Grits can be cooked with water or milk - usually by boiling or baking - and eaten as hot cereal or seved as a side dish.

Which leads us to...

HOMINY:  One of the first food gifts the American Indians gave [to the colonists, hominy is dried white or yellow corn kernels from which the hull and germ have been removed. ...Hominy is sold canned, ready-to-eat or dried (which must be reconstituted before using.  It is commonly served as a side dish or as part of a casserole. ...  When ground, it is called hominy grits, or simply grits. ... Hominy grits are generally simmered with water or milk until very thick.  The mixture can be served in this mushlike form or chilled, cut into squares and fried.

Rough translation: think of grits as polenta with soul.

CORNED BEEF:  Beef (usually brisket, but also round) cured in a seasoned brine.  The term "corned" beef comes from the English use of the word "corn," meaning any small particle, such as a grain of salt.  

HASH:  A dish of finely chopped meat (roast beef and corned beef are the most common) usually fired together until lightly browned.  Other chopped vegetables, such as green pepper, celery and onion, can be added.  Hash is sometimes served with gravy or sauce.

Which leads us to the Chicken Hash served at the '21' restaurant in NYC.  It is made from skinless, boneless chicken breasts that have been poached in chicken stock and then cooled and cut into 1-inch cubes.  This is then rewarmed in a veloute-style cream sauce (heavy cream, dry sherry, thickened with a light roux), and served over wild rice.

Something tells me we ain't losing weight with today's TOD!!!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #99 on: June 22, 2004, 11:22:22 AM »

Thanks George and Ben for clewing me in on the vomit-on-the-floor inducing site. I hate to be in the dark. Especially when vomiting is involved.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #100 on: June 22, 2004, 11:23:28 AM »

AFI just says that they are the greatest songs from the movies.  Therefore, I assume that if it was sung, heard, played, or possibly even mentioned at any time in any movie -- it qualifies.  Among those stars announcing the selceted songs tonight will be Peter Boyle, which I assume means that Puttin On the Ritz will be among the songs honored.

And to think that the special will be hosted by the one person most closely idetified with music from the American motion picture industry, Mr. John Travolta.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #101 on: June 22, 2004, 11:25:05 AM »

Some of the songs listed above for the 100 Best Movie Songs originated on Broadway.  Is the list songs written for the movies or songs from any source used in a movie?

It's very wierd but it's songs as they were used in movies.  F'rinstance, they have "It Had to be You" from When Harry Met Sally, "That's Amore" from Moonstruck and "I'm Still Here" from Postcards from the Edge.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #102 on: June 22, 2004, 11:25:43 AM »

Well...since Gene Kelly and Fred Astaire are dead...who's left who has been in a movie musical?

Richard Gere?

Franco Nero?

Peter O'Toole?

They could get Howard Keel, I suppose, but he hasn't "performed" in years...and they want to draw an audience.

I'm guessing Travolta is the biggest name that has more than just a passing association with musical films.

« Last Edit: June 22, 2004, 11:32:38 AM by RLP »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #103 on: June 22, 2004, 11:26:47 AM »

I'm up for Breakfast at almost any time of the day, but I especially love it at around 2 or 3 in the morning.

One of my favs is the traditional British Breakfast which besides the eggs, sausage, bacon, and fried, yes, I said fried, toast (slathered in butter, of course) includes baked beans!  Yum!  It also includes tomatoes and mushrooms usually.  Not so yum!  And, of course, there's that edible of perfection...THE SCOTCH EGG!  Double yum!

Like Dan the Man, I can get into Steak and Eggs.

When in the South, Grits as a side-dish is de rigeur. Peppered and slathered in butter, of course.

One of the best places for Breakfast out here in LA, though I haven't been in years, is the PANTRY, which is open 24 hours and has never been closed since it opened, even when it was moving to a new location.  There is usually a line outside the door waiting for seats almost any time, day or night.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #104 on: June 22, 2004, 11:29:23 AM »

I like corn pudding.

And speaking of grits, The Lovely Wife makes great cheese grits!

Emily

« Last Edit: June 22, 2004, 11:30:57 AM by Emily »
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #106 on: June 22, 2004, 11:32:23 AM »

OK. This is what's going to happen. When I get to Louisville, I'm going to post all of my mother's best recipes so all y'all can try 'em. I think you'll enjoy them.
THIS sounds like a real treat!  Thank-you!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #107 on: June 22, 2004, 11:32:59 AM »

Well...since Gene Kelly and Fred Astaire are dead...who's left who has been in a movie musical?

Richard Gere?

Franco Nero?

Peter O'Toole?

If it is music from films, and not just from musicals, why does it have to be someone who starred in musicals?  What about Burt Bacharach?  What about John Williams?
“One thing’s universal,

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #108 on: June 22, 2004, 11:34:13 AM »

I recall that they're using the "used in" definition.  Otherwise, "As Time Goes By" wouldn't fit (wasn't written for it's most famous usage, in Casablanca).

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #109 on: June 22, 2004, 11:34:41 AM »

Richard Gere?

Franco Nero?

Peter O'Toole?

There's also Clint Eastwood, Liv Ullman, Burt Reynolds and Michael Douglas.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #110 on: June 22, 2004, 11:34:44 AM »

What about Barbra Streisand?  What about Shirley MacLaine?  
“One thing’s universal,

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #111 on: June 22, 2004, 11:36:38 AM »

If it is music from films, and not just from musicals, why does it have to be someone who starred in musicals?  What about Burt Bacharach?  What about John Williams?

Do you mean John Williams of the Longines Symphonette Society commercials?
-- Anaïs Nin

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #112 on: June 22, 2004, 11:37:52 AM »

DR CP: The Original Pantry HAS been closed...once!  It was briefly shut down by the health department, for some violation.  Problem was, the doors hadn't been locked for so long that no one could find the key!

Der Brucer and I are off to do some major shopping.  I've printed a list of the AFI song nominees; we'll be discussing it during the drive.

Later!

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #113 on: June 22, 2004, 11:43:14 AM »

Okay, where are those donuts and danishes DR Jennifer mentioned a while ago?  It's time for that little breakfast that comes between lunch and dinner--Luneakfanner (it's an old Norwegian tradition.)
-- Anaïs Nin

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #114 on: June 22, 2004, 12:11:59 PM »

... and fried, yes, I said fried, toast (slathered in butter, of course)...

Lucy, 'splain!  It sounds too, too yummy.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #115 on: June 22, 2004, 12:12:50 PM »

Well, BK, did ask what our favorite breakfast foods are, so I can eliminate those foods that I should be eating for breakfast, and only list those things that I want to have for breakfast – healthy or otherwise.

I am not a big fan of pancakes or waffles, which, I suppose, would probably include those disgusting syrup-filled things that McDonalds is pushing lately.  I do eat French Toast from time to time, but I usually stay away from sweets for breakfast.

Omelettes are my favorite breakfast food, usually with cheese, sausage, and veggies.  Plus the hash browns, preferably with gravy, and white or sourdough toast.  Also, Eggs Benedict, or a wonderful variation is Shrimp Benedict which replaces the Canadian Bacon or Ham with shrimp.  Yumm!

And another vote for cold pizza.
“One thing’s universal,

MBarnum

« Reply #116 on: June 22, 2004, 12:17:00 PM »

I have had hominy, both by itself and in Menudo. I prefer it in Menudo.

MBarnum

« Reply #117 on: June 22, 2004, 12:17:51 PM »

Yes, TCB, there is a BIG difference between what I can have for breakfast and what I want to have for breakfast! LOL!

But quite often I cheat!

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #118 on: June 22, 2004, 12:36:43 PM »

I have had hominy, both by itself and in Menudo. I prefer it in Menudo.

Isn't Menudo that Latin boy band???
“One thing’s universal,

William E. Lurie

« Reply #119 on: June 22, 2004, 12:39:05 PM »

Actually "That's Amore" was written for the movies, just not for "Moonstruck".  It was written for the Martin & Lewis film "The Caddy:.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up