Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 15   Go Down

Author Topic: I AM THE STEAM MAN  (Read 28502 times)

Tomovoz

Re:I AM THE STEAM MAN
« Reply #180 on: November 21, 2003, 01:31:02 PM »

François are you out there?
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #181 on: November 21, 2003, 01:34:50 PM »

DR Ron, did George Cukor replace some other director in JUSTINE, and that's why it's not too good. If I remember correctly, it was not his project originally but only a takeover from someone else.

After original director Joseph Strick wrapped on his stunningly beautiful location work in Alexandria, Strick departed, the production shut down, and then Cukor was brought on board.  Cukor did all the studio shooting, which encompassed much of the storyline.  It's Cukor's work that is so interesting in the film (and it blends seamlessly with Strick's location work)...I'm thinking the trouble was the adapted screenplay.  The cast was slap happy with Cukor and his visual eye lights up the screen.  I have no idea why Strick was dropped...or why he left.  He may have gotten sacked with help from Ms. Aimee whom I understand was very difficult on the film.

Something else came to my attention last night.  As much I really liked Michael York at that time, especially in "Cabaret" a few years later, his narration isn't very effective in the opening.  Something about his voice grated on me....and I began thinking how it would have been if someone like Guinnesss or Gielgud or Olivier had done the narration.  Sometimes, I cannot understand what York is saying, and he also uses a lot of mannerisms I found charming in "Cabaret" which now seem like affectations after seeing "Justine" and "Something for Everyone."

Oh, well...!
« Last Edit: November 21, 2003, 01:58:04 PM by Ron Pulliam »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #182 on: November 21, 2003, 01:40:10 PM »

I tell you I was FORCED.  FORCED to eat a yummilicious dessert.  Lulu, if you tell us how you're attempting to attach the jpeg we can help you.  Also, there is a whole long thread about such things on the Technical Discussion thread.  

180 posts by 1:30 - I have to believe that soon we will be the most popular site on all the Internet, and that we already are the envy of these other sites who like to brag that they have 800 posts a day when the real fact is that sometimes they have 10% or 20% of that figure.  I wish I could lose 10 or 20% of MY figure, but that is another story, especially when one is FORCED to eat whipped cream.

Emily

« Reply #183 on: November 21, 2003, 01:40:34 PM »

The new girl at work found out that our boss (who works out of Toronto and makes it a point NEVER to talk to we Montreal underlings except by pointed e-mails) is having her 50th birthday this sunday.

She, without talking to anyone else in the office, arranged for flowers to be sent.  

She e-mailed me a bill for $15 for a present I wasn't even consulted about nor one that I would have wanted to send if I had been consulted.

Sigh.

Some people... :(
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #184 on: November 21, 2003, 01:44:03 PM »

Thanks for that background info, Ron. THat's very interesting. I know Cukor said some very negative things about working with Aimee. Glad you got it in widescreen.

OK, here are my guys, and NO cracks allowed about my sweet boy Marty (David Stollery) though I'll admit I liked Spin the best myself.

If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Maya

• I've always wanted to see the lights of Broadway..
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #185 on: November 21, 2003, 01:44:33 PM »

Good vibes to Kristi Chenoweth!!!

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[/move]

Lulu

• "Big hair makes the rest of me look smaller!"
« Reply #186 on: November 21, 2003, 01:45:03 PM »

OK.

Let's see if anyone can guess who this is in my new picture.
NOW: Becca in "Rabbit Hole."

William E. Lurie

« Reply #187 on: November 21, 2003, 01:45:54 PM »

Forcing a doctor to report what a patient told him or her is awful.  Are priests now forced to tell what they learned in confession?   What about a lawyer whose client has told him in confidence that he is actually guilty? Doing away with doctor/patient confidentiality in any situation is just one more step in the errosion of our basic rights.  With doctors forced to report what they were told in confidence Big Brother is definitely watching you.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

SwishySarah

• Swish On!
« Reply #188 on: November 21, 2003, 01:47:01 PM »

"After the show, it's the afterparty and...after the party it's the hotel lobby and...after the lobby it's up to the be-"

I have to stop because this is a family site. Kind of ironic seeing as I am the only minor who posts here, yet I'm having to be careful.

IT'S FRIDAY! I love Fridays, even though I'm working from 5-10 tonight. I hate the thought of GOING to work, but once I get there, I don't mind it.

In my CD player is The All-American Rejects CD. I know, it doesn't exactly fit in with the genre of CD's that YOU all are listening to, but I must act like a sixteen year old SOMETIME.

In the DVD player is LOTR II, but I haven't watched it yet. Baby steps: Take off the plastic, Open the case, Take DVD out...

In the VCR is 10 Things I Hate About You. Yet another 16 year old moment. I'm feeling my age today, what can I say?

If anyone has tips on factoring, they would be GREATLY appreciated, as apparently I was supposed to learn how in 8th grade, and that never happened. If I don't learn how soon, I shall have more low grades in Algebra, and then I'll never be able to come back to HHW. (Some people's eyes just lit up ;))

I LOVE that picture that Jose posted. I love seeing the faces of people from this site, because on the old site, I developed images of what people look like. Sometimes I'm dead on, other times I'm completely 100% in the other direction.

Eh...time for work.
...Walk in the sunshine...

Lulu

• "Big hair makes the rest of me look smaller!"
« Reply #189 on: November 21, 2003, 01:47:54 PM »

I've gotta go make dinner but Emily...I had to commiserate with you.  I HATED that %&@#!

I'm SO glad I'm self-employed now.  Why is there always one supercilious control freak like that in every office?
NOW: Becca in "Rabbit Hole."

Tomovoz

« Reply #190 on: November 21, 2003, 01:48:03 PM »

I hope you are not paying the bill Emily. Lower than low behaviour. Not acceptable work place behavior.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Emily

« Reply #191 on: November 21, 2003, 01:52:32 PM »

I'm going to have to pay the bill... it would suck to make the other assistant who KNEW about the present, voiced her objections and then agreed to paid relunctantly get a even larger slice of the chunk.  Plus she supposedly put my name on the card.  Sigh.

$15 is 5% of my pay for this month!  I think I may have to ask for cash for Christmas... if only so I can actually afford gifts for other people! :(
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #192 on: November 21, 2003, 01:55:00 PM »

DR Emily - it happens often, and the sad thing is....the Toronto boss won't even appreciate the effort!

HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMm DRLulu.....familiar and yet.....damn...I am intrigued.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #193 on: November 21, 2003, 01:56:40 PM »

I agree!  Don't pay the bill, Emily.  If your coworker wants to brown nose the boss a bit, let her pick up the tab

Joy

• I want to be a horsie.
    • Our Wedding:  The Musical
« Reply #194 on: November 21, 2003, 01:57:35 PM »

Today:
In my portable CD player is the "Rocky IV" soundtrack, which I like to use at the gym.  I can't run without pumping music, and I HATE LOATHE AND DESPISE techno.

I'm with Ann and my husband on the vanity post issue.  It's hard to enough to keep up with the goings on here during my limited breaks and "free time" at home, but scrolling through pages and pages of one-word posts and "10 more to go!" posts makes it a million times more difficult.  I'm a believer in freedom of speech, so I'm not trying to tread on anyone's expression -- you're free to post whatever you want, keeping within the site guidelines.  Just keep in mind that it makes being a member here much more work and less fun when you have to spend so much time wading through this stuff.

Again, no offense intended and I'm not trying to berate anyone...and I hate that I have to add that disclaimer...but it's just my opinion.  Who am I, the post police all of a sudden?

Yesterday:
How I deal with jerks and cretins, ideally, is to act as a container for their bitching and moaning, to listen to what they are truly saying underneath their venom, and to not take it personally.  I listen, then I consider and admit anything I might have done wrong to contribute to their problem.  Then I immediately start working toward a solution to the problem.

Ideally.  ;)
Farmer, pointing the way with radish.

Matt H.

« Reply #195 on: November 21, 2003, 01:58:26 PM »

Lulu, it looks a little like Tuesday Weld before she went blonde, but I knw it's not her.

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #196 on: November 21, 2003, 01:59:00 PM »

ooh, that's such a rotten place to be put in, Emily.  But I'd probably pay the bill too, if I were you...

Tomovoz

« Reply #197 on: November 21, 2003, 02:00:31 PM »

I hope that you are in a position to voice your objections too Emily. Your colleague should not have been intimidated into paying either. The corporate world is full of ferals. Your colleage surely can not be asked to pay more. The organiser must pay the difference if she has made decisions on behalf of others. It is so easy to make moral decisions when I am living on the other side of the world and don't work any more!!
James Thurber 1957

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #198 on: November 21, 2003, 02:00:40 PM »

Dorothy Provine...what a talented lovely woman.  A star of  The Roaring Twenties and The Alaskans and some pretty high-priced movies.  

I liked her in Good Neighbor Sam and The Bonnie Parker Story in addition to her BIG flicks, IAMMMMW and That Darn Cat are also favorites.

And I still play her Warner Albums of 1920's songs.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #199 on: November 21, 2003, 02:00:56 PM »

Joy, is that a new pic of you?  Very pretty!

Matt H.

« Reply #200 on: November 21, 2003, 02:03:05 PM »

Dorothy Provine - loved her song and sequence in THE GREAT RACE.

Joy

• I want to be a horsie.
« Reply #201 on: November 21, 2003, 02:03:05 PM »

Emily:
Don't be a martyr.  Tell her and the other coworker, at the same time, that she should have consulted you on it first, and you can't afford to pay an extra $15 that you didn't agree to pay.  Tell her that if she had consulted you first, you might have agreed to chip in, but for a less expensive option; and that she will have to pay your share herself, as it is not fair to force the other coworker to pay for her (the kiss-ass') mistake.   If she gives you any trouble, remind her that it was inconsiderate and thoughtless of her to assume that you had $15 to throw around.  Then send your boss a card.

Joy

• I want to be a horsie.
« Reply #202 on: November 21, 2003, 02:04:04 PM »

Ann,
It's from the same session as the other pic, just a slightly different look.  Thank you!

Maya

• I've always wanted to see the lights of Broadway..
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #203 on: November 21, 2003, 02:04:10 PM »

Joy--I agree!  Lovely pic!

Gotta run!  Will check in later!

Tomovoz

« Reply #204 on: November 21, 2003, 02:06:06 PM »

Now if the thousands of teachers working for State education here had all paid 5% of their salaries for my 50th birthday present (even though they did not know me)..........
James Thurber 1957

Joy

• I want to be a horsie.
« Reply #205 on: November 21, 2003, 02:06:55 PM »

By the way, Emily, I just told my friend Katina at work about this situation, pretending that I was the Kiss-Ass coworker and she was you.  She had the following to say:

"Hell, no."

:)

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #206 on: November 21, 2003, 02:15:50 PM »

I'm going to have to pay the bill... it would suck to make the other assistant who KNEW about the present, voiced her objections and then agreed to paid relunctantly get a even larger slice of the chunk.  Plus she supposedly put my name on the card.  Sigh.

$15 is 5% of my pay for this month!  I think I may have to ask for cash for Christmas... if only so I can actually afford gifts for other people! :(

When you pay her, tell her NEVER EVER to do anything like that again.  She had NO RIGHT to do this and you owe her NOTHING.  how dare she presume to spend your money!!!!!!!!!!

Matt H.

« Reply #207 on: November 21, 2003, 02:16:35 PM »

Here she is as the wonderful Lily O'Lay in THE GREAT RACE.

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #208 on: November 21, 2003, 02:16:51 PM »

P.S.  In many workplaces it's very bad form for employees to give presents to employers.  In government service it is severely frowned upon.

Joy

• I want to be a horsie.
« Reply #209 on: November 21, 2003, 02:25:51 PM »

I LOVE this Broadway Radio Show!  What a great idea!  I love classic rock about as much as I love showtunes, so what a wonderful way to combine them!
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 15   Go Up