Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15   Go Down

Author Topic: I AM THE STEAM MAN  (Read 27928 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
I AM THE STEAM MAN
« on: November 21, 2003, 12:09:50 AM »

Well, I've read the notes, have you?  If you have then you, like me, know what you need to do.  Let's also discuss the meal I had last night.  Let's start writing right now and post until the cows come home.

« Last Edit: November 22, 2003, 12:14:45 AM by bk »

Tomovoz

Re:I AM THE STEAM MAN
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2003, 01:10:02 AM »

CDs" Connie Francis "Greatest Hits" & Connie Francis "Christmas In My Heart.
Waiting for its first play: "Hank Plays Cliff" (Hank Marvin)
DVDs Waiting to be played: "Jaques Brel is alive....."
AND
Olivia Newton John in "Sordid Lives" - a friend told me that this is riot of fun! We shall see.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Michael

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2003, 01:10:48 AM »

DVD: Lord of The Rings: Two Towers Extend Version & Once Upon a Time in The West

CD: All of Nancy LaMott
Never stop dreaming.

Tomovoz

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2003, 01:12:47 AM »

I notice that by the time I arrive back here in the morning there could well be a celebrity GOD. I do hope our house is in order as it would be most unseemly for gods to be bitch slapped.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2003, 01:23:49 AM »

A few weeks before I get to see LOTR TT Michael. I hope the extra footage is worth the wait. Are you awake very late or very early?
James Thurber 1957

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2003, 02:56:46 AM »

Pictures of DR Andrea in her dancing costume.  Lots of news from DRJose - Panni on the street (I always blame it in new glasses) - and tons more stuff!  Whew what a lot of posts we have!  ::)

SORDID LIVES has some funny bits and interesting performances, but certainly betrays its stage origins.  I did laugh at it!  Some of the performances are a bit clumsy, however - but Bonnie Bedelia does a very nice job.

In my CD player: Forever Plaid, Gypsy (soundtrack), Doris Day  & Andre Previn Duet.  ;D

In my DVD player: Horrors of the Black Museum.  In the vcr:
I Was a Teenage Frankenstein and I Was a Teenage Werewolf.  Yes I am having a Herman Cohen festival! :P

On the phonograph:  The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse score by Mr Andre Previn.  His later score for Dead Ringer has some of the same "feel" - but I think this is my favorite score of his, along with Valley of the Dolls done of course with Dory.  ;)
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Michael

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2003, 04:10:34 AM »

A few weeks before I get to see LOTR TT Michael. I hope the extra footage is worth the wait. Are you awake very late or very early?

I was up very early when I did my first post. I woke up and had a little trouble falling asleep. Read BK blog and then did some more reading was able to get some more sleep. This is roughly the same time I post Monday-Friday.

To answer your question about TT Extended Version I would have to say yes and the extra material or extended scenes really doesn't (at least to me) added on. I wasn't disappointed.

Looking forward to watching it again, the documentaries and also watching Once Upon a Time In the West for the second time.
Never stop dreaming.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2003, 05:26:25 AM »

Sha na na na na....hey hey hey...goodbye  ;D  by

STEAM

Ben

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2003, 05:56:34 AM »

I am officially back from Cleveland. I just finished reading yesterday's notes. I will have to wait until tomorrow or Sunday for Wednesday's notes (far to many to work through in one sitting).

Welcome back Panni.

I love the Rankin Bass specials, especially Rudolph (I felt a kinship with Herbie) and I love A Charlie Brown Christmas.

There were so many messages I can't remember everything you all talked about in my abscence. I just know that Miss Jennifer does not need to post more (I saw that comment, my little pretty, you can't hide yourself in old notes   ;)).

When you put a close parens (I'm such an editor) next to a smiley insert it looks very strange because the smiley is inserted as the left parens and it looks like you have too many of them.

I have nothing in nothing (like DR Kerry last week). I must spend the day writing my report about my work in Cleveland and I must submit my expense report, including the two days I spent in a hotel that borders on the line of low-cost and dump. Anyone contemplating a trip to Cleveland should avoid the Comfort Inn Downtown Cleveland at 18th and Euclid. It's not worth the low price.

I'll probably listen to something during the day. I'll be back later. And next week, a short week at the office, will probably be light work-wise so I may be able to post aplenty before the Thanksgiving holiday which then leads to time off work, volunteering at Broadway Cares making gift bags for people with AIDS and then my long-awaited Christmas vacation which will lead to an extended period of errant and truant behavior and it will give my rival ( ;)) Miss Jennifer yet another change to achieve God/Goddess/Queen/Ruler of All That is Important at HHW, etc. status before moi.

Au revoir, abientot, later gaters.

Ben

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2003, 05:57:58 AM »

Re: Steam

They look so 70s. Back when men in photographs did not have to be buff and hairless. Oops, this is a family site. I will restrict my comments to what I have just written for fear of veering off into another dimension.

Kerry

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2003, 06:02:05 AM »

OH MY God.  Another week has gone by.  I have a few days worht of notes to catch up on, AND I have to have something in someting else?!?!?!?!?!!   THE PRESSURE IS ALMOST TOO MUCH!!!!

I'll let you know what ends up getting put in what later.
........But only if you're good.
I like boat races.

Ben

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2003, 06:19:33 AM »

I am not the Steam Man, I am the Walrus (koo koo ka choo)

Ben

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2003, 06:20:48 AM »

Oh, yes, thanks for any and all good thoughts for my work in Cleveland. The presentations were successful and I came back happy and fulfilled, even if my flight out of Akron/Canton Airport (cheaper than flying into Cleveland) was delayed for one hour due to excess air traffic at LaGuardia.

Ben

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2003, 06:23:20 AM »

TFO, my, my over 600 posts. You've surpassed JRand. That broadband connection certainly has changed things for you. I guess the next question for RP and TFO is what happens at 1000?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2003, 06:27:58 AM »

Yes, I have been eclipsed...but life goes on.

Maybe my new photo will help!  ::)
« Last Edit: November 21, 2003, 06:40:43 AM by JRand53 »

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2003, 06:45:02 AM »

Sorry for the delay in posting.  I was ironing Dear Wife Joy's pants before she went to work.

In my youth, I stood up to bullies and railed against their mistreatment.  At some point, I just got tired of fighting.  Now, I'm criticized (here and there) for NOT standing up to morons and cretins and giving them what for.  But I did so much of that when I was younger, I feel I've done more than my share.

The two CDs come from around the world.  First, there's the 2003 Scotland production of Murder at the Savoy, or, Pulley of the Yard (Gee, I wonder who wrote THAT?) and then there's something from New Zealand called the Robbie Ellis hybrid.  Mr. Ellis was perspicacious enough to ask for a copy of my 2000 musical, Area 51 and included his own CD in the return package.

Today I'm going to tell my college students why they shouldn't be doing Eurotrash songs.  More later.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Philip Crosby

• Another German tourist just got off of the plane .
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2003, 06:57:31 AM »

Well, I have been ridiculously errant and truant and only now have had the time to post and even figure how this here new site!  WOW.  Pretty cool beans.

In the DVD player: just finished Elaine Stritch At Liberty and have all the Indiana Joneses ahead of me.  Does anyone have the Looney Tunes collection?

Philip Crosby

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2003, 07:00:02 AM »

DR Noel - is your AREA 51 a UFO musical or am I confusing my areas?

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2003, 07:08:57 AM »

Looks like a glorious weekend ahead here in the South with temperatures in the 70s for the weekend. Of course, I'll spend a lot of it inside watching movies and television.  :)

Media check:

CD - THE VERY BEST OF THE RIGHTEOUS BROTHERS

DVD - THE HAUNTING (yes, I'm finally getting to it! I finish the boxed set of the 5th season of FRIENDS and then on to Robert Wise's wonderful film)

VHS - last night's WILL & GRACE and SCRUBS. I'm also feeling like watching one of the Joan Hickson Miss Marple TV shows, perhaps MURDER AT THE VICARAGE.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2003, 07:09:59 AM »

DR JRand, your pictures get sexier and sexier. I'm almost afraid what's in store for us when next you change your photo!  :)

Emily

« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2003, 07:10:02 AM »

You guys crack me up everytime!

I have been ordered back to work today, ending my one day strike.  It appears that I may be an essential service - who knew? ;)

Luckily my father was driving downtown today, so he was nice enough to give me a lift.  Unfortunately he had to stop before getting me to McGill because of a strike/protest happening outside a hotel near here.  I had to walk through the crowds which always gives me the heebie jeebies.

The one and only time I have ever had a panic attack was when I was swallowed by a protest a couple of years ago.  It was arguing to end the Israeli occupation of Palestinian territory (a cause which I support which makes my reaction all that more weird) and I just started shaking and feeling my throat closing up.  

Ever since, I can not be near protests without getting all panicky again.

But now I am drinking a nice cup of Tim Hortons' coffee... so I might just live.  :)

Other News/Responses:

Jrand, your pic is dee-lite-ful :)

Ben, am I the only person who LOOOVES how in A Charlie Brown Christmas, the kids' mouths as they sing Hark the Herald Angels Sing are perfect "O"s?  :o

Has anyone noticed how Skippy has been e and t ever since we gave him that wonderful nickname?  Coincidence?  I think not... :)

My Audio-Visual Pleasures of the Week:

CD discman: Zanna Don't which today replaced Avenue Q.  God, I love both of these cast albums so much!

REAL Player: "Popular" and "Defying Gravity" from Wicked which I think I have played at least 8 billion times each.

DVD Home: Finding Nemo

DVD Sister's House: Lord of the Rings the Two Towers
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

William E. Lurie

« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2003, 07:12:56 AM »

CD - An Australian classical singer whose first name I forget but whose last name is something like Brockelhurst - He sings opera and operetta arias and other classical solos and is excellent

DVD - Most recently watched JACQUES BREL and will try to find time for LOST IN THE STARS next

VHS - Nothing

I was thinking yesterday what a varied site we have when in one paragraph BK can discus both Cyndi Lauper and Federico Fellini.

I noticed an ad in the Times today for Goodspeed's A TREE GROWS IN BROOKLYN and discovered that the lead is being played by HHW's very own Remy Zaken.  Also in the cast is Deven "Batboy" May.  I wish there was a train or bus from NYC to Goodspeed but there is no way of getting there without a car.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Matt H.

« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2003, 07:21:50 AM »

I had NO idea you couldn't get from NYC to Goodspeed on a train or bus. Really! I just assumed people could hop on a train and be there in 45 minutes. Shows what I know!

BTW (By the way in internet lingo), I've never been to Goodspeed. FOr those who have, can you tell some of your experiences there. I know the theaters aren't huge. How are the sight lines? Acoustics? I'm really curious about it since I've heard about it for so many years.

MusicGuy

• ...at an audition to accompany Guy Haines...
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2003, 07:26:04 AM »

Good morning early H/Ks....and good morning to esteemed, steamy, frothilicious BK --

Like DR Kerry, the past week has been pretty busy, between work and new "parenting" duties with Sugar.

CD -- part of the wonderful McGlinn recordings of "Babes In Arms," "Swingtime," and "Showboat."

DVD -- got to watch a couple more episodes of season 4 of The Sopranos.

Cassette -- part of several wonderful compilation cassettes that DR Kerry has put together over the years.  Pieces of music, snippets of dialogue from films and TV show, all woven in a uniquely "Kerry" tapestry.

8)

Lulu

• "Big hair makes the rest of me look smaller!"
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2003, 07:27:50 AM »

:-[  DARN YOU ALL TO HECK, Dear Reader Ben!  I was gonna do the "I am the walrus" thingy, then you went and did it.  Tarnation!

DVD: Ferris Bueller's Day Off ("So THAT'S how it is in their family!")

VHS: Harold Lloyd stuff

CD: Les Paul and Mary Ford (Greatest Hits)

I feel like wakka-cha-wakka-cha-wow guitar music should be playing in the background when I look at Jrand's picture.  Also, looking at it makes me feel kinda funny, I can't explain how...but I feel like it's something I should confide to an adult I can trust.

I had the coolest thing happen to me last night.  One of my students (I do private tutoring...in ENGLISH, you pervs, get your minds out of the gutter) gave me a completely unexpected card and gift!  The gift was a little candle with stuff on it about how good teachers impart wisdom, vision, inspiration, etc.   ;D  This is a 17-year-old boy...not really known as a group for sentimentality.  How cool is that??  

Have a good day, everyone.
NOW: Becca in "Rabbit Hole."

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2003, 07:29:18 AM »

DR Noel - is your AREA 51 a UFO musical or am I confusing my areas?

You're in the right area, although no UFO lands during the show.  Area 51 - The Musical is about the secret government laboratory underneath the Nevada desert where stuff that falls from outer space is taken for examination.  This includes aliens in glass tanks who like nothing better than to sing background doo-wop vocals.  Also under the ground is an evil insurgent organization that performs a floor show (it's not far from Las Vegas) and steals scientists from Area 51 by shooting in a ray of negativity.  Every number in it is a comedy song.

My computer keeps disconnecting from the internet... as if SOMEBODY doesn't want the truth about Area 51 to get out!  (There's a lot of singing and dancing down there.)
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

MusicGuy

« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2003, 07:29:54 AM »

Dear esteemed, guapo, and (last-night_ well fed BK  --  

I'm glad you enjoyed Bizou......I just assumed that it would have already been on your list of yummy places.  Also, out there on Ventura Blvd. is a place at which I've had repeated good meals....Wine Bistro.  If you haven't tried it, give it a go sometime.

May you steaminess last all through the day, oh mensch-like Poobah!

MusicGuy

« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2003, 07:34:32 AM »

DR Ben --  My condolences on your recent trip to Cleveland.  I had to fly in and out of there last Thursday (on a trip to Erie, PA) , and it was the night of the storm/tornado stuff in that area.  My connecting flights were all cancelled, and I had to stay in a hotel that night, and go out the next morning.

I know some very nice people in that area, but the place itself is pretty low on the "pretty city" scale to me.

Will you and Ant stay in the city for Thanksgiving. or go out to L.I. ?

Matt H.

« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2003, 07:35:04 AM »

I have to say I really like bk's smilie this morning. It's almost hypnotic to sit here and watch that pencil drawing.....

MusicGuy

« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2003, 07:36:46 AM »

OH...and by the way  --  BK, details please on the other main courses last night.  What did Jane and Jay have for their main meals?

I'm hungry, and I haven't had breakfast yet!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15   Go Up