Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: THREE CRICKETS IN THE FOUNTAIN  (Read 54449 times)

Cillaliz

Re:THREE CRICKETS IN THE FOUNTAIN
« Reply #90 on: January 21, 2005, 10:48:52 AM »

I've never seen it. My sister got the album years and years ago and it somehow just ended up in my record collection when I left for college in 1979 ;)   I love the songs you mentioned as well as Fugue for Menage a Trois, and Singles Bar

I take that back, sort of, I've never seen in in person, I have a vague memory of seeing it on tv, PBS or something....at least I think I remember that....

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #91 on: January 21, 2005, 10:52:11 AM »

It just occurred to me that there is a Six Degrees of BK connection between BK and Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66.   ;D

Karen Philipp, who replaced Janis Hansen in the group starting with Fool on the Hill, played Nurse Dish on 2 episodes of the first season of M*A*S*H.  Though she had signed a contract for the entire run of the series, she was written out after the second appearance, though she continued to appear in the credits for the entire run of the series.  She later married producer Pat Proft.  Here's a photo of the absolutely gorgeous Karen (if you want a shot of her as Mother Goddess, get the first Brasil '77 album, Pais Tropical).  (She's the one on the left  :D ).
« Last Edit: January 21, 2005, 10:53:54 AM by JMK »
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Cillaliz

« Reply #92 on: January 21, 2005, 10:52:20 AM »

Not enough bad weather to call a snow day yet. Gotta go back to work.

So how many posts do I need before I'm not a Newbie anymore?

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #93 on: January 21, 2005, 10:52:31 AM »

DR Panni - And if the practical side is looking for an option, I still highly recommend The Skyline over on 10th and 50th.  Yes, it's a few blocks away from Times Square, but that can be a good thing at times.  *It also puts you closer to some of the wonderful bakeries and restaurants over on 9th Ave.  The rooms are big, and the rates can't be beat.  Be sure to ask for a "Deluxe" or "Superior" room - they're only about $10-20 more per night.  Most of those rooms are in the remodeled and refurbished West Tower - which also has an indoor pool on the roof!  -And nice views of the Empire State Building too.  *I've also found that I get a better calling their reservations desk - which closes at 5:00pm - rather than booking through their website.  You'd probably also qualify for a corporate rate since you'll be in town for business.  *And, lately, it seems that all you need to get a corporate rate a hotel is just to give the name of a company when you make the reservation - they don't check at check-in.
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #94 on: January 21, 2005, 10:56:11 AM »

All right, already - BraSil 66.  I'm elderly, you know.  

I'm not liking the whole Drama Book Shop vibe in terms of a reading/signing.  They're happy to host it, they're happy to sell books and make money, but they don't want to do anything to let people know it's happening.  I don't want the whole onus on my shoulders.  We're checking out Murder Ink to see if they'll do it on that same date or on the Friday, or maybe even on Saturday afternoon.  We shall see.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #95 on: January 21, 2005, 10:56:38 AM »

Oh, and I'm listening to the album with The Look of Love on it.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #96 on: January 21, 2005, 10:59:22 AM »

Speaking of snow...

Richmond got about three inches last night...  And it's still snowing lightly right now apparently.  And then tomorrow, they will be hit again with the same storm(s) that will be hitting the DC Metro area.

I just hope the theatre makes a decision about the evening show faster than the last time we dealt with this sort of situation.  It started snowing right before the matinee started.  We finished the matinee, then drove around trying to find a place to have dinner.  Places were closing up due to the snow.  Well, we found a place, I think it was La Lomita, Mexican.  As soon as we were back within spitting distance of the theatre parking lots, the production manager called... "We're cancelling tonight.  Go home."

Of course, by that time, there was at least five inches of snow on the ground, and the drive home was quite the adventure.

We shall see...

I do like snow.  However, I don't like being on the road in it.
Make Your Own Luck.

Ben

« Reply #97 on: January 21, 2005, 11:00:08 AM »

Saturday Afternoon at Murder Ink would be great! Then we could all head downtown to Miss Penny's show (of course, Miss Penny will be performing in the afternoon so she gets an excuse).

Elmore, sorry to hear that about the director of Little Women (It's hard to wish any show directed by the current director of this production well since she's such a "Cora," one of the most unpleasant people I've ever met.). I've never had any direct contact with her but I did love her revival of Sweeney Todd with Bob Gunton and Beth Fowler at Circle in the Square.

Ben

« Reply #98 on: January 21, 2005, 11:02:03 AM »

I'm listening to BBC Radio 2 waiting for a program hosted by Desmond Carrington which will be about the wonderful, and mainly unknown by the general public, Flanders and Swann.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #99 on: January 21, 2005, 11:02:35 AM »

I'm not liking the whole Drama Book Shop vibe in terms of a reading/signing.  They're happy to host it, they're happy to sell books and make money, but they don't want to do anything to let people know it's happening.  

Dear Friend BK, when I left the store, I was never notified of a single event although invitations used to be sent out via guests lists the author/publisher provided.  Whenever I'd stop back in the shop, I was told by the owners that I never came around enough, and I wanted to say "you could invite me to an event, ya know."

Murder Ink is a lovely shop at Broadway and 92nd?

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #100 on: January 21, 2005, 11:03:48 AM »

BK - Does Applause do readings?  Are they still around? Or do they only deal with their own publications?  I know they moved too sometime in the past couple of years.  I think...
Make Your Own Luck.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #101 on: January 21, 2005, 11:04:10 AM »

Elmore, sorry to hear that about the director of Little Women (It's hard to wish any show directed by the current director of this production well since she's such a "Cora," one of the most unpleasant people I've ever met.). I've never had any direct contact with her but I did love her revival of Sweeney Todd with Bob Gunton and Beth Fowler at Circle in the Square.

DRBen, TEENEY TODD, the little show?  Give me Harold Prince!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #102 on: January 21, 2005, 11:04:16 AM »

Not enough bad weather to call a snow day yet. Gotta go back to work.

So how many posts do I need before I'm not a Newbie anymore?

50  ~ nearly here!!
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

vixmom

« Reply #103 on: January 21, 2005, 11:06:27 AM »

Saturday Afternoon at Murder Ink would be great! Then we could all head downtown to Miss Penny's show (of course, Miss Penny will be performing in the afternoon so she gets an excuse).

Definitely that would be absolutely perfect!!

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #104 on: January 21, 2005, 11:06:47 AM »

BK, I was just funnin' ya, after my post a couple of weeks ago to La Jolie Femme on the same subject.

Here's a little more Brasil '66 trivia for you:  The Look of Love features a very rare lead vocal performance by Janis Hansen.  As you may or may not know (or indeed care), Sergio used that newfangled multi-tracking stuff to double Lani on all of the first A&M album (there was no second female vocalist, despite a picture of Bibi Vogel on the front cover and Janis Hansen on the back) and a lot of Equinox (Janis did do some supplementary singing on Equinox).  It was only on Look Around that Sergio really began to exploit using both singers equally.  It wasn't until Ye-Me-Le, however, that he tracked them separately (usually splitting them into different channels in the stereo mixes).  There, that ends my Sergio Mendes rant of the day.  Or at least moment.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #105 on: January 21, 2005, 11:06:55 AM »

BK - Does Applause do readings?  Are they still around? Or do they only deal with their own publications?  I know they moved too sometime in the past couple of years.  I think...

I tried Applause last year for KRITZER TIME.  The owner was never in for my several stops in the store to leave my card or my several phone calls, which he never returned.  The man's a rude one.  I was in 2 or 3 times and I made 3 or 4 calls.

vixmom

« Reply #106 on: January 21, 2005, 11:07:50 AM »

I'm listening to BBC Radio 2 waiting for a program hosted by Desmond Carrington which will be about the wonderful, and mainly unknown by the general public, Flanders and Swann.

Oh I love them!!

'Twas ona Monday Morning..........

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #107 on: January 21, 2005, 11:13:57 AM »

..Oh, and that reminds me... I keep meaning to track down that Flanders and Swann songbook that apparently was released in the US sometime in the past year or two.

...I think...

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Ben

« Reply #108 on: January 21, 2005, 11:18:07 AM »

I will post the link to BBC 2 so you can listen to the show if you are so inclined. It's a half-hour segment and will be on the BBC Web site until next Friday at 2pm Eastern Standard Time. It's great to hear the recordings again. I have two records which have not yet been transferred to CD. They are high on the list.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/shows/carrington/

Ben

« Reply #109 on: January 21, 2005, 11:19:08 AM »

BTW, it's been a long time, but I think the number of posts to move from Newbie is 51, then you become a Junior Member.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #110 on: January 21, 2005, 11:19:59 AM »

I've had the same experience as elmore with Applause.  HATE them.  We'll see about Murder Ink, which is indeed at 92 and B'way.

vixmom

« Reply #111 on: January 21, 2005, 11:26:47 AM »

I will post the link to BBC 2 so you can listen to the show if you are so inclined. It's a half-hour segment and will be on the BBC Web site until next Friday at 2pm Eastern Standard Time. It's great to hear the recordings again. I have two records which have not yet been transferred to CD. They are high on the list.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/shows/carrington/

Thank you!!!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #112 on: January 21, 2005, 11:33:16 AM »

Shortly I will be on my way to luncheon.  Keep the home fries burning until my returning.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #113 on: January 21, 2005, 11:39:42 AM »

YEAH!

ATTN DRs in the Indianapolis, IN area...

It's official official... I'll be in Indy for MAMMA MIA! at Clewes Hall from April 4-10.  I'm not sure where I'll be staying - company management will be contacting me next week regarding flight and hotels.  Again, I can put in house seat requests once the date draws closer.  Start saving those pennies now!

...Now, if JEWISH THIGHS turns out to be the runaway hit it's destined to be and it extends... Hmmm...

Anyone out there who can recommend a good agent?

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Jennifer

« Reply #114 on: January 21, 2005, 11:48:46 AM »

DR Panni, you could always book more than one hotel and then decide later.

Jennifer

« Reply #115 on: January 21, 2005, 11:57:26 AM »

The pic that DR JMK posted reminded of Evangeline Lily (sp?) who plays Kate (the pretty fugitive girl) on LOST. She was on the Ellen Degeneres show and she was talking about how many accidents she'd been in (driving).  She said she was a terrible driver.  But she was laughing about it.  She said she'd never hit another car (which i suppose is good). But she hit a person, and i suppose other things on the road like poles.  Well Ellen had her get in a mini car and back up.  And she hit everything in sight!

She said that she only passed her driving test cause her instructor thought she was cute!

Now, if you were her, wouldn't you take more lessons or something.  I hope I would.

vixmom

« Reply #116 on: January 21, 2005, 11:58:04 AM »

..Oh, and that reminds me... I keep meaning to track down that Flanders and Swann songbook that apparently was released in the US sometime in the past year or two.

...I think...

;)

Is this the one?
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1859094392/qid=1106337362/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/102-5060823-9541711?v=glance&s=books

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #117 on: January 21, 2005, 11:59:27 AM »

Oh, almost forgot...  Media Check...

DVD and VCR - Still nothing, but... with a snow day possibly coming up...

As for CDs - I'm still dealing with last week's rotation, but I bring back a few CDs with me from Richmond this past week:

Sally Mayes - "Our Private World"  ...Sings Comden & Green.
Five After Eight (OCR)
Promises, Promises, (OCR)
Yo-Yo Ma - "Soul of the Tango", The Music of Astor Piazzolla
Emmanuel Ax & Pablo Ziegler - "Los Tangueros", The Tangos of Astor Piazzolla  - Guess I'm on a Piazzolla/Tango kick right now.
Make Your Own Luck.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #118 on: January 21, 2005, 12:03:55 PM »

Thank you for all the hotel suggestions, DRs! Sure, Ginny, if I'm across the street we can have a pajama party. What the hell, everyone bring your pj's and it's pj partay at Panni's.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #119 on: January 21, 2005, 12:06:56 PM »

Is this the one?
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1859094392/qid=1106337362/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/102-5060823-9541711?v=glance&s=books

Thank you!

Hmmm... It was released back in 1997!  I'm surprised I never saw it come through the music store, unless it was part of Warner Bros. specialty line, but still... Guess I know what I'll be purchasing when I head back to my "old" music store...

Is "I'm Tone Deaf" a Flanders & Swann song?  I've played that a few times at auditions - tricky, tricky, tricky!
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13   Go Up