Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: PIE DAY  (Read 28665 times)

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
Re:PIE DAY
« Reply #120 on: February 05, 2005, 01:59:28 PM »

I just found this on eBay, for all of you John Barrowman fans  :)
« Last Edit: February 05, 2005, 02:00:03 PM by Matthew »

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #121 on: February 05, 2005, 02:00:47 PM »

WOW - Page 5 dance, the picture worked!!!!!  (I won't dance, don't ask me)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #122 on: February 05, 2005, 02:10:41 PM »

Holy moley on rye - page five!  EFFLUVIA!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #123 on: February 05, 2005, 02:11:10 PM »

Hopefully, our pie reports will start coming in as the dinner hour approaches.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #124 on: February 05, 2005, 02:43:45 PM »

Does anyone know anything about a new movie called Hide and Seek?  I can see it tonight, but don't want to go if it's no good.

Well, I'm back from Barnes & Noble, and I stopped at Artie's.  I was thinking of rice pudding but I bought a slice of pecan pie, which I shall try later.  Artie's cakes look delicious but they're not too tasty.  Their rice pudding is a chunk of heaven, however.  We'll see how the pecan pie goes.  I'll judge it for crust, quality of the custard filling and the quantity of pecans.

Dear Friend BK, my friend and former B&N colleague Jeff, who left B&N for a full-time elementary teaching job, are seeing HIDE AND SEEK in two hours!  Isn't that too too?
« Last Edit: February 05, 2005, 02:46:56 PM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #125 on: February 05, 2005, 02:45:32 PM »

I know HIDE AND SEEK has gotten horrendous reviews almost across the board. I think you could find a better way to spend your evening, bk.

It's a general rule, DRMattH, that horror films get slammed.  PSYCHO got bad reviews.  The only films I can remember that got fairly good ones were THE INNOCENTS and THE HAUNTING (original, not the remake).
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #126 on: February 05, 2005, 02:46:02 PM »

Success, finally!  Well it's been a frustrating 24 hours.  My internet service, ATT Worldnet, has been getting steadly worse over the last few months...bad connections, refusing to load pages, just horribly frustrating.  

I decided last night it was time to swtich providers.  First I signed up with Netscape, but being the world class dummy I am, I neglected to first make sure they were mac compatible.  Those of you familiar with standard comedy situations have already deduced that that Netscape is indeed non-mac compatible.  *smacks hand to forehead*  

So I tried for NetZero, because I've heard good things about it.  Only to find out a few minutes later that I could have gotten a better deal from Juno.  Through all of this, pages refused to load, it would often take 5 minutes just to get one step done.  At this point it was 4 am, and I was ready to throw the computer out the window.  I decided it was best to try again in the morning after I'd calmed down.  

So this morning I did...or I tried.  Pages still weren't loading.  Fed up with it all, I threw my computer in it's case and took it to Starbucks where the glory of the HotSpot airporter connection was a soothing balm to my frazzled nerves.  I was able to cancel my ATT service, find out that NetZero really is a good deal, download the software, and install it...and now I'm home, so far so good on NetZero, and I'm celebrating with some grape juice.  Perhaps later I will celebrate with some pie...

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #127 on: February 05, 2005, 02:46:17 PM »

Zeus is gone.

For those of you who haven't been keeping track (or score), Zeus is the Shetland Sheepdog that der Brucer and I have been taking fostering for the past six months.  Over that time, we've had several nibbles by people interested in adopting him, but nothing more.

This week, der B was contacted by a woman living in Salisbury, MD.  She and her teenaged sons were interested in Zeus, who they had found on the Internet.  

Today, we drove down and met the family, with Zeus with us.  Talk about a loving group; the boys immediately took to the dog, and vice versa.  The boys are both old enough that they don't need a puppy, and Mom needs a companion more than someone to raise at this point.  So, we signed the paperwork, and Zeus now has a new home.

Right now, I'm feeling a contented sort of sad.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #128 on: February 05, 2005, 02:47:54 PM »

Success, finally!  Well it's been a frustrating 24 hours.  My internet service, ATT Worldnet, has been getting steadly worse over the last few months...bad connections, refusing to load pages, just horribly frustrating.  

I decided last night it was time to swtich providers.  First I signed up with Netscape, but being the world class dummy I am, I neglected to first make sure they were mac compatible.  Those of you familiar with standard comedy situations have already deduced that that Netscape is indeed non-mac compatible.  *smacks hand to forehead*  

So I tried for NetZero, because I've heard good things about it.  Only to find out a few minutes later that I could have gotten a better deal from Juno.  Through all of this, pages refused to load, it would often take 5 minutes just to get one step done.  At this point it was 4 am, and I was ready to throw the computer out the window.  I decided it was best to try again in the morning after I'd calmed down.  

So this morning I did...or I tried.  Pages still weren't loading.  Fed up with it all, I threw my computer in it's case and took it to Starbucks where the glory of the HotSpot airporter connection was a soothing balm to my frazzled nerves.  I was able to cancel my ATT service, find out that NetZero really is a good deal, download the software, and install it...and now I'm home, so far so good on NetZero, and I'm celebrating with some grape juice.  Perhaps later I will celebrate with some pie...

DRAnn, I have a Mac and I use Netscape!

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #129 on: February 05, 2005, 02:49:43 PM »

SWW, good news and congrats on a job well done.

Back to work.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #130 on: February 05, 2005, 02:52:21 PM »

I meant to remark on my day at B&N; I spent three hours on the second floor acting as the fiction clerk, which was a great deal of fun.  There's this curious series of mysteries out now in which my beloved author Jane Austen plays Nancy Drew when she's not writing my favorite novels.   Today, I discovered there's a new mystery series in which Elizabeth and Darcy of PRIDE AND PREJUDICE have become the Nick and Nora Charles of 1815!  Most peculiar.  I guess sitting around Pemberley with all the dogs and that evil frump Caroline Bingley is enough to make anyone think of murder.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2005, 02:53:15 PM by elmore3003 »

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #131 on: February 05, 2005, 02:54:55 PM »

elmore3003 - you do???  as your ISP?  Or just as a browser...

Ginny

« Reply #132 on: February 05, 2005, 03:05:23 PM »

I meant to remark on my day at B&N; I spent three hours on the second floor acting as the fiction clerk, which was a great deal of fun.  

DR elmore, at my library we call the committee members who select our fiction "The Fiction Goddesses."  Guess your assignment today makes you a Fiction God, huh?

DH Richard and I saw Finding Neverland this afternoon and both enjoyed it very much.

Now, I think I'll go make that pecan pie...
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #133 on: February 05, 2005, 03:16:07 PM »

elmore3003 - you do???  as your ISP?  Or just as a browser...

DRAnn, as a browser.  Sorry!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #134 on: February 05, 2005, 03:20:13 PM »

I've always felt sorry for poor Luvia.  She was just trying to be like her friend, Hester, and all they gave her was an "F"?  Talk about criticism, that about takes the pie!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Ben

« Reply #135 on: February 05, 2005, 03:22:16 PM »

We just finished dinner of creamy chicken soup with wild rice and a big salad. We shal partake of pumpkin pie as we settle down to watch the 1953 Titanic with Barbara Stanwyck, Clifton Webb and Robert Wagner.

More later.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #136 on: February 05, 2005, 03:36:34 PM »

Woody & Der Brucer, sorry for your loss, but glad that Zeus went to home that met with your approval.

I confess it.  I miss MUSAK.  More.  I long for MUSAK.  Something unobstrusive, innocuous, soothing, with the occasional tune you could unconsciously whistle along with.  I just got back from the grocery store where I was assaulted by the sound system with its really irritating so-called rock screeched by pitchy anemic voices with all the panache of a beauty contestant trill.  I can understand it if a store caters to an 18 to 30 market of the "hip", "trendy" and undiscriminating, but by and large the folks who buy groceries are middle-aged geezers like me.  I don't remember them playing my rock and roll at the store when my parents went grocery shopping....or almost anywhere else for that matter.  When did we Baby Boomers...the largest population out there...abdicate our power to our children?  We should have remained in control until we started to die off.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #137 on: February 05, 2005, 03:46:50 PM »

elmore the Elizabeth/Darcy mysteries sound like a clever idea.  Howcum I never have an idea like this?  Co-opt someone else's public domain characters for my own profit and gain...  

I'm very much a fan of historical mysteries.   There's a group of Elizabethan mysteries that revolve around the prompter in a theatre, Nicholas Bracewell, by Edward Marston and a series of Roman ones feature a character named Marcus Didius by Lindsey Davis that are fun.  I recently started a series about a Bow Street Runner solving crimes and another that features an actual historical personage, John Fielding, the blind beak of Bow Street.  And, of course, there is the great Toby Peters, the  30-40's detective who mixes it up with real Hollywood stars, by Stuart Kaminsky.

Jane

« Reply #138 on: February 05, 2005, 03:50:56 PM »

CP I know what you mean about the so called music in some stores.  Sometimes I just leave.

Jane

« Reply #139 on: February 05, 2005, 03:51:42 PM »

Table is set, the guacamole is yummy (Keith liked my fried corn chips), the Spanish rice and the enchiladas are ready to cook.  The string beans and shitake mushrooms are ready for Keith to sauté together.   The flour is sifted for the cornbread.  The lemon slices are in a pitcher ready to add ice and water.  Hmm… oh I know, I need to put the dessert on a nice try.  I cheated there and made something super simple-peanut butter haystacks.

Now all I need to do is dry my hair, get dressed and do last minute cleaning.

Ginny

« Reply #140 on: February 05, 2005, 03:52:56 PM »

CP & Jane - Coffee shops (Starbucks and others), where I'd like to read and have a cup of coffee, are also guilty of too-loud, too-intrusive music.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #141 on: February 05, 2005, 03:58:09 PM »

I'm not feeling bad about Zeus being gone.  We gave him the best home we could, knowing that ours was just temporary for him.

One thing we have learned because of Zeus, is that two humans cannot give the attention needed by six dogs.  Five seems to be the limit.

We've also learned that some of the people associated with Animal Rescue organizations are just plain bonkers.  Yes, there are a few people out there who want dogs as training material for their pit bulls or whatever, but those sadists are the exception, not the rule.  Unfortunately, some of the AR people are so wrapped up in their fear of the sadists that they cannot see the good people out there for who they are.  As a result, animals don't get placed, and instead end up being fostered by people who take in too many pets and cannot give the animals the attention they need.

My be is that der B will be screamed at by certain parties, because he decided this was the right home for Zeus on the basis of one home visit.  That's all right, we've kept the ten-minute scream from one of the ARs that was left on our answering machine, simply because he suggested they were being too cautious.  One of these days, I'm going to transcribe that thing, just for the fun of it.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #142 on: February 05, 2005, 04:02:15 PM »

The best Muzak story I've got is about the time I was in the grocery store and suddenly realized that the melody they were playing was from one of Frank Zappa's raunchier songs.  Sans lyrics, damn them all to hell, but at least the arranger's heart was in the right place.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #143 on: February 05, 2005, 04:02:36 PM »

elmore the Elizabeth/Darcy mysteries sound like a clever idea.  Howcum I never have an idea like this?  Co-opt someone else's public domain characters for my own profit and gain...  

I'm very much a fan of historical mysteries.   There's a group of Elizabethan mysteries that revolve around the prompter in a theatre, Nicholas Bracewell, by Edward Marston and a series of Roman ones feature a character named Marcus Didius by Lindsey Davis that are fun.  I recently started a series about a Bow Street Runner solving crimes and another that features an actual historical personage, John Fielding, the blind beak of Bow Street.  And, of course, there is the great Toby Peters, the  30-40's detective who mixes it up with real Hollywood stars, by Stuart Kaminsky.

DRPogue, I've read most of the Sir John Fielding mysteries.  I liked them, but occasionally the author would turn a phrase and I would think "that's not 18th Century!"  Sme of his plots were a lot of fun.  I read them in order as the narrrator aged, but I haven't read the latest.  I liked the Gordianus Roman mysteries by Steven Saylor quite a lot as well.  Maybe I'll go buy the Darcy-Elizabeth mystery and see what it's like.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #144 on: February 05, 2005, 04:05:34 PM »

I forgot to mention the pie!  The only good dessert at Artie's is the rice pudding.  The pecan pie was coarse in texture, some awful prefab crust that may be cardboard, and a real disappointment.  Damn them all to hell, I want a good bakery on the Upper West Side with a flare for light, flaky tasty crust, and an appreciation for the other components of a pastry!

And now to the movies . . .

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #145 on: February 05, 2005, 04:06:15 PM »

DRPogue, I've read most of the Sir John Fielding mysteries.  I liked them, but occasionally the author would turn a phrase and I would think "that's not 18th Century!"  Some of his plots were a lot of fun.  I read them in order as the narrrator aged, but I haven't read the latest.  I liked the Gordianus Roman mysteries by Steven Saylor quite a lot as well.  Maybe I'll go buy the Darcy-Elizabeth mystery and see what it's like.

Ginny

« Reply #146 on: February 05, 2005, 04:06:42 PM »

Oooo, I just noticed that I've attained another star and become a Sr. Member!

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #147 on: February 05, 2005, 04:25:08 PM »

Yay!  NetZero works better than I could have dreamed.  Pages load, downloads are faster...everything is just splendidly splendid.  

A funny note about the whole thing...throughout the whole problem with my other service, there was one site that would always load, even if nothing else would...Haineshisway.com

td

• td
« Reply #148 on: February 05, 2005, 04:28:59 PM »

But it's a queer romance.  ::)
Come on, big boy. . .
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Ginny

« Reply #149 on: February 05, 2005, 04:29:40 PM »

And, DR Ann, how are you feeling?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9   Go Up