Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: PIE DAY  (Read 28280 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
PIE DAY
« on: February 04, 2005, 11:58:56 PM »

Well, you've read the notes with gay abandon whilst flitting about like a gazelle on a bi-plane eating a piece of pie, and now it is time for you to post until the pied cows come home.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2005, 11:59:50 PM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:PIE DAY
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2005, 12:02:50 AM »

And the word of the day is: EFFLUVIA

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2005, 12:14:37 AM »

I simply do not understand this Attack of the WUSSBURGERS of late.  It's the weekend - we must partay.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2005, 12:15:00 AM »

I, for one, and doing the Pony right now.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2005, 12:15:20 AM »

Apparently I'm also doing a monologue.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2005, 12:16:18 AM »

Also love Bogie in Casablanca and In a Lonely Place.  Also love Eddie G. in Soylent Green.  Also love Cagney in White Heat.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2005, 12:16:37 AM »

Mother of mercy, is this the end of Rico?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2005, 12:17:08 AM »

I'm not tired, I tell you.  I am doing the Pony and behaving with gay abandon.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2005, 12:18:08 AM »

The iPod is on, and I'm listening to my latest playlist (on shuffle) - The Music of Joe Hisaishi.  I've only entered three soundtracks so far  - about fifty-nine tracks - but I have lots more to go.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2005, 12:18:35 AM »

This whole page is nothing but ME.  

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2005, 12:35:21 AM »

Well, much as I'd like to carry on a conversation with myself, I shall toddle off to the bedroom environment since there is no one here to have discourse with.

And to that, I say EFFLUVIA!

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2005, 12:45:15 AM »

Now's me too.  First off, I'm still unclogging pie from my arteries after our gluttony at the House of Pies thursday night (Though the thought of a good pork pie is suddenly tantalizing to me right now...My arteries are setting off a distress alarm to chase away that thought).

I checked the showstoppers's website...they seem to be rolling out a passable line-up and a few faces I've never seen at them before...Freddy "Boom-Boom" Cannon?  Who knew he was even still alive...?  Shani Wallis?  Babs McNair, used to be quite a looker in her day...

I agree Gladys George is terrific in ROARING TWENTIES. Haven't seen it in years.  Must soon.

Favourite Bogie:  Hands down, MALTESE FALCON...I know most will say CASABLANCA, but it's the FALCON for me, probably followed by THE BIG SLEEP.

Eddie G. in KEY LARGO. His whispering unheard obscenties in Lauren Bacall's ear is just so creepy.  Also his making Claire Trevor sing and his delight when Bogie says"I'll tell you what he wants...more."  "Yeah, yeah, that's what I want...More! More!"  His Wolf Larsen in the SEA-WOLF I remember being pretty menacing, and let us not forget his turn in 1O COMMANDMENTS: "Where's your Moses now?!"  I remember liking him inDOUBLE INDEMNITY, but I must see it again.

CAGNEY: Man, this is hard to pick. I think ONE,TWO,THREE is a tour de force performance.  I like him in FOOTLIGHT PARADE and most of his musical stuff.  WHITE HEAT is pretty chilling stuff.  Another comedy...BOY MEETS GIRL is great fun!  His TIME OF YOUR LIFE is a wonderful amiable performance.  I never saw the film until about a year ago...and quite enjoyed it.

Robinson is also good in ALL MY SONS.  and I could swear I once saw him in a film version playing Tony in THEY KNEW WHAT THEY WANTED.

Some other nice Bogies:  High Sierra, Dead End, To Have and To Have Not, and The Desperate Hours.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2005, 12:52:05 AM by Charles Pogue »

Charles Pogue

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2005, 12:46:58 AM »

Well, Effluvia to you too. And Phlegm as well!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2005, 12:53:47 AM »

Phlegm will definitely be a word of the day very soon.

Charles Pogue

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2005, 12:58:05 AM »

I noticed that showstoppers is undercutting Ray Courts by charging only 12 bucks and that Joanie Sommers is going to be there.  Ain't she a buddy of your'n, BK?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2005, 12:58:22 AM »

I just visited the website, and the show is now a must-do for me.  My old pal Joanie Sommers will be there, and Gary Lockwood, who I guest-starred with on The Young Lawyers, and who was so wonderful to me on that, my first TV acting gig.  And Patty Andrews!  And a handful of other really interesting folks.  It's actually a more interesting lineup than the Courts show, I hate to say it.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2005, 12:59:05 AM »

There are a couple of people I was quite certain were dead - glad to see they're still with us.

Charles Pogue

« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2005, 01:00:00 AM »

I see that Jed has not yet fled, but he ain't postin' neither. But even if Jed has not fled, that said, I'm for bed.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2005, 01:00:34 AM »

For example, I had no idea Robert Horton, the original 110 in the Shade Starbuck, was still alive.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2005, 01:08:47 AM »

I shall now toddle off to bed-e-bye.

EFFLUVIA!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2005, 05:12:53 AM »

Good morning, all!  This is the first morning in some time that DRBen, Michael Shayne, or Hisaka is not on site as well.  20 minutes to Barnes and Noble, which sounds like the title for an Agnes DeMille ballet from a 40s musical.

I picked up two interesting books on the Chicago Iroquois Theatre fire of 1903 yesterday, which I hope will help me with my BABES IN TOYLAND reportage, and I was looking at a new history of the Black Death, which seemed interesting.

As I type this, Miss Daisy Egan is singing "44 Sunsets."

TOD:  
  Bogart:  THE MALTESE FALCON
  Robinson:  DOUBLE INDEMNITY
  Cagney:  YANKEE DOODLE DANDY

Pie?  Sorry!  I find no good pie in New York these days, and I mourn the dearth of good bakeries on the Upper West Side.  Apple pie a la mode would be lovely today and perk me right up.  The best pies in New York at the moment are those at the Little Pie Factory on West 43rd, but I'll never get down there today.

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2005, 06:19:25 AM »

First of all, many belated thanks to DR td for his very complete and informative information on the Doris Day boxed DVD set. No, I don't read the forums at Scarlet Street (or anywhere else but here for that matter).

I was a bit dismayed that Warners "stuck in" CALAMITY JANE and THE PAJAMA GAME, not that they are terrific films and among my Doris favorites but that they've been out for years now and I'd think that most people who were going to buy them would have already done so. I have no need for two more copies so I'll have to pass on the boxed set and buy the other films individually. Can't wait to get them.

(Warners did the same thing with the Hitchcock box including the same - excellent - transfer of NORTH BY NORTHWEST thus making it ridiculous to buy the whole box.)
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2005, 06:24:19 AM »

I like the three actors in question when they show their softer, gentler sides so my favorites would include:

Cagney - CITY FOR CONQUEST

Bogart - CASABLANCA

Robinson - DR. ERLICH'S MAGINC BULLET

But they're such wonderful actors that you can't go wrong with any of their performances even when the films in question are a bit lacking.

Yes, I think Cagney is unmatched in ONE, TWO, THREE and YANKEE DOODLE DANDY; Bogart unparalleled in THE MALTESE FALCON and THE AFRICAN QUEEN, Robinson mesmerizing in LITTLE CAESAR and DOUBLE INDEMNITY. They really were born screen actors.

Ginny

« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2005, 06:29:53 AM »

Cagney - Yankee Doodle Dandy

Bogart - Casablanca and African Queen

Haven't seen much Robinson, but I have been to Malabar Farm, near Mansfield, OH, and walked down the same staircase Lauen Bacall walked down when she and Bogie were married there.  The tour also included the bedroom where they spent their wedding night.

Today, I just might bake a pie...
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Matt H.

« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2005, 06:31:56 AM »

Charles Pogue, my letter to EW concerned a review/think piece on the current status of WILL & GRACE. Rather than simply blindly attacking the show which has been on a downward slope for a couple of seasons now, the writer gave a thoughtful analysis on where the show has gone wrong and what can be done to save it. I appreciated the extra effort that went into his well reasoned and admirable think piece and wanted to tell him so. A cheaper writer would have just used his 500-700 words to mud sling, but this was full of much more constructive criticism which I feel many critics today could take a lesson from especially those writing about TV which CAN change the direction a series is going if someone is astute enough to recognize what's right and what's wrong.

MBarnum

« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2005, 07:02:13 AM »

I am planning to go to the April Court's show, but this Showstoppers show looks pretty good too...I would love to see Robert Horton and Robert Colbert! And of course JRand54 would certainly want to get Dawn Lyn's autograph! LOL!

Alas, I can only afford to go once so Court's it will have to be.

MBarnum

« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2005, 07:06:31 AM »

James Cagney: FOOTLIGHT PARADE

Humphrey Bogart: THE DESPERATE HOURS

Edward G. Robinson: THE RED HOUSE

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2005, 07:45:39 AM »

Good Morning!!

The radio went off at 8:00. The buzzer went off at 8:30.  And I got out of bed by 8:40.  And I was downstairs doing my lunges and leg lifts and crunches by 9:00!  Whew!

Oh, and I slept rather well last night.  Surprisingly well considering how quasi-restless my sleep has been the past couple of days.

I've had my breakfast, read my paper, gone over the sale ads for tomorrow - love that "plastic pack", and folded my laundry.  WOW!  All of this BEFORE 11:00 - that's saying something.  For me, at least.

So... I want to run a few errands before the show, so...  And I'm still on the fence about the new digital camera, so... There is a store that has a few in stock, but it's a little out of the way, so... But... Ah, well...

Where was I?

Oh, I know...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2005, 07:47:32 AM »

James Cagney: "Yankee Doodle Dandy"

Edward G.Robinson: "Soylent Green"

Humphrey Bogart: "Casablanca"

*I have to say my choices are limited by limited viewings of the films of these fine thespians.  Sort of.  I've also just seen these films multiple times.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2005, 07:47:59 AM »

Ah... So sad to be all alone in the world....
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Up