Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE TEENY TINY NOTES  (Read 20805 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
THE TEENY TINY NOTES
« on: December 06, 2003, 12:05:19 AM »

Wow, two topics of discussion - you've read what they are, so to it, you dear dear people, and post lots because I need lots to read whilst working all the livelong day.

« Last Edit: December 07, 2003, 12:15:13 AM by bk »

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re:THE TEENY TINY NOTES
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2003, 12:44:37 AM »

Hmmmm....

Toy from my childhood:  Probably my Anniversary Monopoly set.  The one that had the "carousel" that held the cards.  I loved that set, and took very good care of it.  I even ironed the money when it got too wrinkled!  All in all, I wasn't too much of a "toy kid" - at least I don't think I was.  But I really liked board games (yesterday's topic), and "kits" - science, plants, etc.

As for the TV shows... I haven't really seen any of the new ones on the major networks.  But cable-wise, I am a "Six Feet Under" fan (not so new anymore), and I like the original, BBC version of "Coupling".  Yes, it's very shallow and filled with sexual innuendo, but it's done well, imho.  I tried to like "The Office", but I guess it's just too droll for me.  I've like some of what I've seen, but not all of it.

WOW!  It's 3:45AM EST and I'm still wired - ?!?!!?!?

I really should try to get some sleep....
Make Your Own Luck.

Jed

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2003, 12:45:27 AM »

First of all, many thanks to all my HHW friends for all the good vibes for opening night!  HHW truly has the ginchiest folks around.

I'm happy to report that the vibes helped, and we had a very successful opening night.  Played to a sold out house, everything was solid musically and dramatically, our tech glitches from the last couple rehearsals were ironed out, and it was just an all-around good show.  The audience was VERY receptive and appreciative, which always makes things more fun.  Our director was quite pleased, and deservedly so.  It's been her first directing job, and she's really done very well.  If I didn't know she hadn't directed before, I'd never have had a clue.

Must now read the new notes and comment on the topic(s) de jour...

Oh, and this gives me my Sr. Member 4th star!
« Last Edit: December 06, 2003, 12:46:51 AM by Jed »
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Jed

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2003, 12:53:53 AM »

Childhood toys?  Wow... that's a toughie.  I was never really much of a toy kid.  Was much more often reading or doing something else, and didn't really have much in the toy department.  Maybe I'll think of something later...

Newer TV shows?  Most of the newer shows I've seen are pure dreck.  That said, I am a fan of Without A Trace, now in its second season.  Just about any other show I can stomach has been on for at least four years or so.

Must be off to bed... 2 shows tomorrow.
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Kerry

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2003, 05:42:33 AM »

First -- from yesterday:

CD player in my car:  Jeepers Creepers (hadn't heard it in a few weeks)

Second, Jed, congratulations on a successful opening night.  How did your tights hold up?

Back later.
I like boat races.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2003, 06:27:31 AM »

Catching up from last night: DR Ron, you are priceless! "Laying a fine table" indeed! No comment necessary.

Favorite toy from childhood: Well, the one I remember the most fondly was a Robby the Robot mechanical man toy that could move and talk. Low tech for these times, but ultra high tec for 1957 or so.

Of the new shows this season, the trashest fun is LAS VEGAS on NBC. Lots of good looking men and women, glitzy settings, several storylines per episode that all get wrapped up neatly before the end of the hour. It's on Monday night.

Best new drama that I've seen is COLD CASE by the producers of CSI and WITHOUT A TRACE. This is on CBS on SUnday nights, and the show revolves around investigations of old cases in trying to give closure to families of old victims.

Comedy with the most potential is IT'S ALL RELATIVE on ABC, Wednesday nights. A young couple becomes engaged but their respective families are anything but receptive since they come from such varied backgrounds. His family is Irish Catholic working class who run a neighborhood pub. Her family is two upscale gay dads who raised her from age 6. It's a variation of ABIE'S IRISH ROSE for the new millenium. The show began the season as basically an insult show with each side firing shots back and forth at each other, but the show is slowly evolving as the two sides get to know and trust each other slowly. The cast is made up of great Broadway talent: John Benjamin Hickey, Harriet Sansom Harris, and Christopher Sieber. I have great hopes for it as it matures and settles into a more sophisticated groove.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2003, 06:29:53 AM by Matt H. »
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2003, 06:33:01 AM »

Speaking of Robby the Robot, who else besides me is anticipating a new special edition of FORBIDDEN PLANET in 2004? I have loved this movie since I was a kid, and am SO hoping the new special edition (1) gets the original aspect ratio right for the movie, (2) has a new transfer that cleans up some dirt and other problems and punches up the lousy Eastman Color from the laserdisc I have, (3) has tons of extras on the fantastic special effects which really were state of the art at the time.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2003, 06:35:17 AM by Matt H. »

Michael

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2003, 06:46:37 AM »

I really don't watch much television and have not seen any of the new television shows, but was surprised that Lyon's Den did not make it. HOWEVER I was channel surfing was trying to find something to watch and FOX had a special program about bloopers from around the world. Mostly taken from news cast and talk shows and some from series programs.. Most of them were from England, Australia and New Zealand. But some of them were so funny and I must have been in the right frame of mind that I laughed so hard that I cried and I cannot remember the last time I did that!!!
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2003, 06:47:50 AM »

A Question For Tom from OZ:

Did you ever see the Australian version of the British series Are You Being Served? It was with John Inman who was in the British version.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2003, 06:58:25 AM »

While going through my parents basement before moving down to the USA I came across a pseudo toy and decided to take it with me. It was a contraption that pumped air into balloons. Nothing really special except that name and as an adult it has a totally different meaning. Instead of describing it I decided to take a photo of it.

The words that you cannot see to the left of the clown on the bottom are "It's So Easy".
« Last Edit: December 06, 2003, 07:00:29 AM by Michael Shayne »
Never stop dreaming.

Matt H.

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2003, 07:00:51 AM »

Hahahahaha. Whatever possesses people to come up with these names! They can certainly lead to some hilarious results decades later!

Matt H.

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2003, 07:04:06 AM »

I watched THE LYON'S DEN before it was taken off. The series set-up was fine, but the mix of ongoing stories (a murder within the firm and underhanded dealings between partners trying to ruin one another) and cases that wrapped up within the episode just wasn't handled smoothly. I could see people being VERY confused if they didn't start with the series from the first episode.

Matt H.

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2003, 07:10:31 AM »

BTW, in reference to the poster (Maya?) who mentioned that the Captain Kangaroo picture I posted didn't look like the one she remembered. I amended the photo to say that this was the 1950s incarnation of the Captain. His look (like all of us) evolved over the years. That's the Captain I remember, but I doubt it's the one most would remember unless you're my age.

Michael

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2003, 07:12:24 AM »

I watched THE LYON'S DEN before it was taken off. The series set-up was fine, but the mix of ongoing stories (a murder within the firm and underhanded dealings between partners trying to ruin one another) and cases that wrapped up within the episode just wasn't handled smoothly. I could see people being VERY confused if they didn't start with the series from the first episode.

Maybe that was part of the problem that the cases were wrapped up at the end of each episode. perhaps they should have been a story arc that went a few episodes.
Never stop dreaming.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2003, 07:13:22 AM »

Good question of the day. There are two childhood toys I'd love to have. The first is my puppet theater. I was a rather solitary child and my favorite thing in the world was to put on puppet shows for an imaginary audience. I'd crouch in the back, open the curtains to great fanfare and do the show. This was in our apartment in Budapest - before the Ruskies torched the place. Sometimes my older cousin, Janos, would take part in these shows, but mostly it was just moi, the puppets and the imagined crowd. When we escaped from Hungary I could take very little with me - so an entire theater was out of the question. I still think of it whenever I see anything resembling it in a toy store.
The other toy (get out your handkerchiefs) was a stuffed monkey my father gave me just before he died. The monkey I did carry with me when we escaped. And I promptly lost it in Vienna. I was devastated. When we came to Canada, I saw a kid with a toy monkey on the plane and pointed it out to my mother. She went out and bought one just like it. I never gave it a name - it was just "Monkey" and I slept with it every night for years. It was so worn that my mother made a totally new "skin" for it from the lining of an old faux-fur coat. Monkey I still have.
As for new TV shows - I haven't seen any of them. Don't watch much TV. I'm going to try to watch (or tape) ANGELS IN AMERICA on HBO on Sunday.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2003, 07:28:14 AM by Panni »

Michael

« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2003, 07:18:44 AM »

This is how I remember the captain

and they revived the show without Bob Keeshan. Not sure if it is still around

Never stop dreaming.

Jennifer

« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2003, 07:33:04 AM »

BTW, in reference to the poster (Maya?) who mentioned that the Captain Kangaroo picture I posted didn't look like the one she remembered. I amended the photo to say that this was the 1950s incarnation of the Captain. His look (like all of us) evolved over the years. That's the Captain I remember, but I doubt it's the one most would remember unless you're my age.

No, it was me who made that comment. I think the picture that was posted today by Michael Shayne is much closer to what i remember (I guess I used to watch it in the 70s). But I don't remember him wearing a suit :)

Jennifer

« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2003, 07:39:09 AM »

New tv shows to recommend to BK.  Well I'm not so sure that the same type of shows would interest us.  I'm not about to recommend my favorite Gilmore Girls to you :)

One show that just started this year, which I like (and which is quite different) is Nip/Tuck. I started watching it because the lead character used to play Cole on Charmed. It is definitely not for children.  It's been playing a few months behind here on CTV.

Speaking of being behind on shows, I cannot wait to watch last night's season finale of Sex & The City (we watch on Bravo, 3 months behind the US schedule).

I was just commenting that it will be tortuous for me when the new season starts in the US. Because we will be 3 months behind. And when you guys get the series finale, I will not be able to see it, yet I will probably hear all about it. How depressing is that!

Matt H.

« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2003, 07:55:24 AM »

We had the same trouble with OZ at the Christopher Meloni forum. Canada was usually a season behind or three to six months behind us, so a separate thread was set up for us to discuss the episodes so Candians wouldn't be tipped off what happened. I suspect we'll just watch and keep quiet about it. There are only 8 episodes I go for us. They start back up in January.

Danise

« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2003, 08:01:05 AM »

Good chilly morning!  It's now 10:26 AM and it's 46 degrees here in the land of sunshine.  

Toys: Oy, That’s a hard one.  I loved my Johnny & Jane West dolls.  Anyone remember them?  I remember my horse, Thunderbolt, came out of the box with a broken tail.  My parents wanted to take him back but I was so upset as to what would happen to him, I kept him and loved him all the more for it.   I guess I took the story about the Island of Misfit Toys to heart.  I didn’t want him to go there.

I confess I was a spoiled brat when it came to toys.  My parents were very good to me.  I had the Barbies and all the clothes, dolls, dolls and more dolls,  stuffed animals a mile high, the Robot from Lost In Space, Frankenstein’s Monster (who walked and talked), Bryer Horses, the Jolly Green Giant that you could put elastic on over your feet so you could dance with him,  to name just a little.  There was more and God only knows where it all is now.  :)

Favorite New show:  I'd have to say Joan of Aracadia.  I only started watching it because I'm such a JAG fan and since JAG now comes on Friday at 9 now, I figured I was just killing an hour until it came on.  

Now that I've started watching Joan, I find I really like it.  It's about a girl who talks to God.  God can show up as anything, a bum on the street, a lady walking her dog, a kid on the playground, etc.  you never know and He always wants her to do something.  You & Joan don't understand why at the time but it always turns out.  You might want to give it a look see.   

Glad to hear that Jed had a good show.  Isn’t it a shame you have to break a leg to do that?

Well, I’ve GOT to work on my Christmas cards today.  I have a few gifts to pack and mail also.

Have a good day.  Be warm and safe.  Posters and lurkers both.  We can't have anyone being sick like last week.

D

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Matt H.

« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2003, 08:01:17 AM »

Another show that's only two years old that I would heartily recommend is MONK. USA airs the original episodes, and I read recently that ABC is once again going to broadcast reruns during the second half of the season, but not sure if that's going to start in December or January.

It has to do with a detective who has obsessive/compulsive disorder and how he manages to solve his cases despite an almost debilitating handicap. The mysteries aren't usually the most important things about the show, but it's a real showcase for actor Tony Shaloub who won last year's Emmy for his performance.

MusicGuy

• ...at an audition to accompany Guy Haines...
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2003, 08:41:44 AM »

Good morning DRs  --

And a sunny Phoenix G'morning to dear esteemed, suave, and working-on-the-weekend BK --

First, the QOTD ;  well, this will be terribly obscure, but as far as childhood toys, the one that stands out in my mind was one that I played with at a friends house, but never had my own.  It sounds something like what DR Panni was talking about;  it was a very elaborate puppet theatre, but not the marionette variety.  These puppets were supported on sticks that you could move around, via slots and openings in the stage floor.  The whole thing was beautifully crafted, and I'm pretty sure fairly expensive.  Strangely, I can still remember the brand name of the puppet set...."Baps" .  I seem to think it was made in Scandanavia somewhere.

DR Jed --  Congratulations on your opening last night.  I hope the run is a good one.

DR Jose --  Yes, you assumed correctly yesterday...if you don't drive carefully and take care of yourself, you will indeed be punished.  You will be flown to Arizona, and you will be made to play "The Randy Vicar and The Young Piano Student".....and I'm the Vicar!!   So there, that should be enough to put the fear of Allah into you!

William E. Lurie

« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2003, 08:48:46 AM »

The snow is here.  While it is not nearly as bad as the media makes it seem we did change our Musicals Tonight tickets (the Gershwin's PRIMROSE in its North American premiere) for next week.  And we can't put the lights on the terrace but can get the indoor decorations done (except the tree which we'll get closer to Christmas).  By the way, even if you aren't in New York to see their shows you should check out the Musicals Tonight website (www.Musicalstonight.org).  It's very well designed and informative.

I don't want any toys back - I want my old comic books.  Who knew how much they would be worth.

As for new television shows, try HOPE AND FAITH (Fridays at 9:00 - 8:00 Central - on ABC).  Kelly Ripa and Faith Ford are very funny (almost as funny as Lucy and Ethel - more like Laverne and Shirley without some of their awful supporting cast - NOT GUEST STARS, BK ).  As for the most improved old show, catch THE PRACTICE (Sundays at 10:00 - 9:00 Central - on ABC).  James Spader has turned it into a whole new show.  And if you missed them originally, catch the Sharon Stone arc in re=runs.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2003, 08:50:12 AM »

I for got the BEST new television show this season has already been cancelled: THE BROTHERHOOD OF POLAND, NEW HAMPSHIRE.  It was too good for the average television viewer.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

MusicGuy

« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2003, 09:02:05 AM »

My second favorite toys were always the science and experiment type of stuff.  I was (okay, still am) fascinated with anything that resembles parts of Frankenstein's laboratory, or the flight deck of a StarCruiser.

I guess this explains, maybe, why I play the type of instrument that I do....

MusicGuy

« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2003, 09:12:48 AM »

DR Jrand --

HUGE  THANKS AND GRATITUDE !!

We received the most fabulous package from DR Jrand yesterday afternoon....and last night, we watched the opening TV show.......a vintage "Queen For A Day" that had me on the floor.  I had forgotten just how mis-matched the prizes were to the possible recipients.  A Ship 'n Shore outfit that looked fabulous on Miss Jeanne Cagney, would hardly do the same for some gal with a sad story, too many chores to do, and no waistline left.

The funniest part of the contestants stories, was the one lady (she didn't win) who, with a perfectly innocent staight face, said that she wanted "bunking gear" and extra beds.  She explained that she needed
 this because both of her sons were in the Navy, and on weekends they always brought lots of their Navy buddys home to stay over, and often times they had to sleep 4 in a bed...........

Do I have to say anymore..........?

Apologies to the younger DRs and those easily shocked.  But to quote Anna Russell, "I'm not making this up you know!"

Jack, thanks a million for your thoughtfullness.  I'll see if I can get you a weekend stay at "The Park Carleton"......do you remember that one?

Maya

• I've always wanted to see the lights of Broadway..
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2003, 09:30:25 AM »

Good morning, DRs!  Today is going to be a very un-fun Saturday for me...I have to go get my flu shot (this is our THIRD attempt...the waiting room was too filled the other times) and then work on two college applications, one for JMU and the other for Nothern Kentucky University.  

I was a very girly little girl.  I suppose I had a few GI Joes and Hot Wheels cars and things like that, but mostly I played with My Little Ponies, Polly Pockets, and Barbies.  

If I ever have a little girl, I don't think I would go out of my way to buy her Barbies.  I think they are just too destructive on the formative feminine ego.  Well, at least they were when I was growing up and just about all of them were your standard blond hair-blue eye beauties and came in such guises as Movie/Rock Star Barbie, Nurse Barbie, Beach Barbie, Cheerleader Barbie.  How about Corporate CEO Barbie, Doctor Barbie, Professor Barbie, PRESIDENT Barbie.  

Oh god...I went and turned an innocent discussion on toys into feminist propoganda!  Go me!

As for today's other topic, I can't really comment too much because I've been too busy to watch a lot of prime time.  I stick with my tried and true favorites...Six Feet Under, Sex and the City, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Will and Grace.  As for the new shows, I DID see Hope and Faith and agree with WEL that it's quite well done.  Somehow Kelly Ripa annoys me less here than she does with Regis.

Jed--I'm so glad that your opening night went well!  WE MUST HAVE PICTURES OF YOUR CUTE SPECTERY SELF.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2003, 10:13:04 AM »

While going through my parents basement before moving down to the USA I came across a pseudo toy and decided to take it with me. It was a contraption that pumped air into balloons. Nothing really special except that name and as an adult it has a totally different meaning. Instead of describing it I decided to take a photo of it.

The words that you cannot see to the left of the clown on the bottom are "It's So Easy".

Michael, you're not the only one with a Gay product!  A woman that I work with found this and thought of me...I wonder why?  ::)  Actually, I collect keychains and it's an unopened display for "24 K Gold Plated" (otherwise plastic) football keychains.  As you can see, it's a Gay Company!  I don't have a digital camera so I tried to scan it.  It's very hard to see, but the words on the bottom half of the picture are "A GAY BETTER PRODUCT".
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2003, 10:18:30 AM »

As for the topics of the day:  I used to have a "Time Machine" that had little plastic squares where you heated them up in the "Time Chamber" (it was a heating element covered by a wire mesh! with a plastic cover that held the heat in) and they became the monsters.  After they cooled, you could play with the monsters.  When you were done, you heated them back up in the time chamber then squished them back into the squares by a press that was part of the whole thing.  VERY unsafe by today's standards...well, probably by anyone's standards.

As for new shows, I watch "Jake 2.0," mainly because it comes after Star Trek: Enterprise.  I try to watch the new Ellen DeGeneres talk show, but I usually forget to tape it.  I also like "Hope and Faith."  Other than that, I don't watch many new shows.  I have my favorites, but most of those are much older.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jennifer

« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2003, 10:24:17 AM »

As for new television shows, try HOPE AND FAITH (Fridays at 9:00 - 8:00 Central - on ABC).  Kelly Ripa and Faith Ford are very funny (almost as funny as Lucy and Ethel - more like Laverne and Shirley without some of their awful supporting cast - NOT GUEST STARS, BK ).  As for the most improved old show, catch THE PRACTICE (Sundays at 10:00 - 9:00 Central - on ABC).  James Spader has turned it into a whole new show.  And if you missed them originally, catch the Sharon Stone arc in re=runs.

I watch Hope and Faith cause I like Kelly Ripa. It is cute, but slightly over the top. I think your comparisons are good ones though.

I agree about The Practice. It is a totally new show this season.  It is basically the James Spader show. But he is so good, he makes it fun to watch.

Oh and btw, WEL, in case you didn't catch yesterday's later notes, Mark solved your search problem.  If you do an ADVANCED SEARCH (instead of a regular one) apparently you can go back further.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up