Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE TEENY TINY NOTES  (Read 20787 times)

Jennifer

Re:THE TEENY TINY NOTES
« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2003, 10:30:10 AM »

I was a very girly little girl.  I suppose I had a few GI Joes and Hot Wheels cars and things like that, but mostly I played with My Little Ponies, Polly Pockets, and Barbies.  

If I ever have a little girl, I don't think I would go out of my way to buy her Barbies.  I think they are just too destructive on the formative feminine ego.  Well, at least they were when I was growing up and just about all of them were your standard blond hair-blue eye beauties and came in such guises as Movie/Rock Star Barbie, Nurse Barbie, Beach Barbie, Cheerleader Barbie.  How about Corporate CEO Barbie, Doctor Barbie, Professor Barbie, PRESIDENT Barbie.  

Your comments about being a girly girl reminded me of a scene I witnessed last night at the Dollar Store (Dollarama for DRs Emily & Andrea).  This little girl was standing behind me in line.  She came up and showed her dad what she wanted to purchase (the dollar store is great, because everything is a dollar, so parents can let their kids buy whatever they want).  Anyhow she showed up with this bizarre packaged GI Joe type thing with guns in it.

Now, I can't even imagine a little boy loving this. But it just seemed like such a weird item for a little girl to want.  Her dad was not happy saying something about how he didn't like her having guns, and didn't she have stuff like that already. But I think he was more perplexed why she kept wanting these little boy items.

As for Barbies, I don't mind them. I always liked playing with them when I was little.  I sort of like how they don't all look the same now.  My sister's niece has dark brown/black hair. And when buying her Christmas gifts I was able to buy dolls that looked just like her!

« Last Edit: December 06, 2003, 10:31:40 AM by Jennifer »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2003, 10:37:52 AM »

And just where IS Jrand?  I do hope yesterday's little contretemps didn't send him away - these little contretemps happen and no one is being mean, you just have to trust me on this.  Someone go get him back, will ya?

Jed

« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2003, 10:48:18 AM »

I believe we're having a photo call after the show tomorrow afternoon, so I will hopefully be able to share a pic or two with you all sometime this next week.

Must be off for the double feature (with a 5 hour intermission)!
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2003, 10:56:16 AM »

Good morning all.
I slept a good eight hours last night, from about 2 to 10...wow that felt good.
Toys...well, there are a few that stand out in my mind.  The first was a porecilan doll that my grandmother bought me the day I went in for my first operation when I was eight.  The operation part wasn't that big of a deal (I would have seven others in the next 10 years) but this grandmother NEVER bought unpractical gifts, so a doll was amazing coming from her.  
The next was a Popple.  Does anyone here remember Popples?  I loved mine...it was white with purple on the face...I loved tucking it up into itself.
The third...well, Barbies.  I confess...I played with Barbies.  I am living proof that little girls can play with Barbies and have their self esteem relatively intact (Shut up, Jed) But I guess I didn't play with them in a normal way.  I had and still have a tremendous imagination, and my Barbies were always involved in long and complex stories, either historically set or modern day, depending on my mood.  They were always doing stuff like rescuing animals, raising children alone, exploring new countries, etc...if they were princesses, they were princesses in hiding, who had to work as maid to hide their identity, or something like that.  Whether all this was a mark of my mother's feminist influence or my lack of Ken dolls, I will never know...

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2003, 11:12:27 AM »

Side note, if Jed is unable to post pics from the photo shoot, I will be sure to grab a couple when I go over there in a few weeks and post them.  We all want to see him in his bright purple tights, I'm sure :)

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #35 on: December 06, 2003, 11:36:13 AM »

a lull

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2003, 11:39:06 AM »

Favorite toy from childhood: Well, the one I remember the most fondly was a Robby the Robot mechanical man toy that could move and talk. Low tech for these times, but ultra high tec for 1957 or so.

I remember one Christmas we gave my younger cousin Robby the Robot.  But before we wrapped it we had a grand time playing with it.

Jane

« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2003, 11:49:39 AM »

I watched THE LYON'S DEN before it was taken off. The series set-up was fine, but the mix of ongoing stories (a murder within the firm and underhanded dealings between partners trying to ruin one another) and cases that wrapped up within the episode just wasn't handled smoothly. I could see people being VERY confused if they didn't start with the series from the first episode.

I thought there was a running theme-who killed the man that previously had the job Rob Lowe’s character replaced.  I didn’t know the show was cancelled.  We were about to stop watching anyway-just wanted to know who the murderer was.

Craig

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #38 on: December 06, 2003, 11:50:05 AM »

For those not on the tri-state area.... enjoy this picture....

Jane

« Reply #39 on: December 06, 2003, 11:58:47 AM »

My favorite toys were a stuffed elephant I always slept with and my Ginny Alexander doll I received for my fourth birthday.  I still have the doll and should have the elephant.  I know I had it when we moved here but can’t find it now.

Danise I agree with Joan of Acadia.  I find Joan very appealing.

Matt H I agree with Monk, though technically it isn’t a new show.  I also like Peace Makers, another show on USA.  I’m waiting for both shows to return.

We are having company for tonight and I must get to work preparing dinner

Andrea

« Reply #40 on: December 06, 2003, 12:02:02 PM »

I adored barbies, and I echo DR Ann's comment that they did nothing to my self esteem. I had many different coloured-haired barbies and infact, I often punked up the blonde ones and made them into villans! My story lines were always about Joe (cause I had the NKOTB dolls) trying to convince my poor maid servant barbie to get married, and her refusing until he loaded her up with jewlery... Other times it was corporate barbie in power suits and heels who would be the recipient of attention from an underling.

Actually... maybe it did affect me cause I have a strange affinity for jewlery and power.

Danise

« Reply #41 on: December 06, 2003, 12:31:07 PM »

I remember the Time Machine and Creepy Critters and Incredible Eatables.  They were cool but don't ever mix up your Creepy Critters with your Incredible Eatables.  LOL!

Hey Craig--what's that white stuff?  Sand??   ;)

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Emily

« Reply #42 on: December 06, 2003, 12:32:42 PM »

I am back from the worst day of work ever.

There were NO phone calls at all for me to answer.  Not one.  Not even my boss calling to check up on me. It actually made this summer's infamous  "least seen press conference ever" seem like a media frenzy.

I did data entry for four hours straight and was bored out of my mind.

It is god-awfully cold here, too!  Just a little snow started to fall a half hour or so ago, but othewise we are in pure Nanuk of the North mode.  Currently it is -8C (19F) with the all important windchill at -18C (1F). That is coooooooooooollllllldddd...

I'm also feeling slightly nauseous which I am desperately hoping is NOT the start of the flu or a cold.  I can not get sick during exams!  It's just undoable!

On the upside I discovered that adding egg-nog to tea and/or coffee instead of sugar and cream/milk make it taste yummy!  Woohoo!  I should be a chef. :)
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #43 on: December 06, 2003, 12:38:49 PM »

WE HAVE SNOW!

So far, we've had about an inch or so here in Rehoboth Beach.  Buster and Bonnie are having a wonderful time, running outside and playing tag.  (They haven't gotten around to making snowmen, but they don't have opposable thumbs, just dew claws, so snowmen might be beyond their reach.)

If last night was a good night for soup, this will probably be a good night for stew.  I might have to trudge to the store for some veggies, but that will be fun in it's way.

TOYS: I admit I miss my old Teddy, or more rightfully Teodore (no "h").  He was a big 'un, and a good friend when I was quite young.  By the end he was quite ragged and missing an eye, the way all proper teddys should look.

NEW SHOWS: I'm not the television watcher; that's der Brucer's role in the family.  This is partly because I'm not really interested in the new shows, and partly because we're in the habit of late dinners and I'm the chef.  Der Brucer does like I Married Joan of Arcadia and Cold Cut Case this year.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2003, 12:41:48 PM by S. Woody White »
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #44 on: December 06, 2003, 12:45:55 PM »

My favourite toys as kids were various sets of plastic men...I had a knight set, I had a Captain Gallant Foreign Legion Set, I had a Civil War set, Roy Rogers Ranch Set, A Farm Set, dinosaur set...these always came with a building of some sort --barn, castle, fort, ranch house.  I got hours of fun from them.  Once I hid some Indians from my cowboys in one of those adjustable cone lamps on a pole.  My Indians melted somewhat and I had the most interesting tribe of deformed Indians you ever saw.  Another time I took my Roy Rogers to share in kindergarten.  He got lost; a big trauma for me, but he showed up a few days later...some kid had painted him.

I also had several of those Hartland Western Figurines, mostly cowboys that came on a horse and had removable hats and saddles and guns and in the case of my favourites, Robert E. Lee and General George Custer, removable swords that they could hold.  Needless to say, I played with them a lot and they didn't stay in very good  condition.  The swords were the first to go, replaced by those little sword-martini-skewers for olives and pearl onions.  but stirrups broke off saddles, guns were lost, paint got chipped.  I've still got my Robert E. Lee, sans stirrups and sword, but with his hat, the rest of his saddle, and Traveller, his horse with a chipped ear.  Had I taken care of these figurines they'd probably be worth hundreds of dollars today.  Of course, that could be said of almost any of the toys I had.  Unfortunately, these things all seem to disappear when you have younger siblings and cousins who get them handed down or your mother just pitches them when they get too tatty.  I think somewhere in my mother's home is still a basket with the remanents of various soldiers and cowboys and whatnot from all the  sets I had over the years.  What I really miss are the many Golden Books we had and record albums...like Bozo and does anyone remember Gossamer Wump who was a triangle player narrated by Frank Morgan?  Man, I just pulled that out of the dark recesses of my memory just now.

As for new TV shows, I have found I just cannot invest any time in being a regular, committed viewer to anything anymore.  Other than SNL, I watch literally NO network TV.  I have never seen an episode of Sopranos, Sex and the City, and ,other than American Idol, I resolutely refuse to watch any reality shows.  Those take the food out of the mouths of fiction writers like myself...and I find their premises usually appeal to the lowest common denominator...really, shit like Temptation Island, promoting cheating on your other half.  What a sleazy, scummy  idea.

We just got  HG/TV added to our  cable system and I'm enjoying it a lot.  Very calming. More like PBS This Old House...without all the freneticness of Page Davis and the trumped-up, but non-existenct conflict they try to create.  And they usually offer real, permanent fixes to house problems...not quick-fix MDF shit thrown up or tacking crappy, dust-catching fabric everywhere.

I like what I've seen of Brit comedy,THE OFFICE; I enjoy Colin Quinn's new show on the Comedy Network where he and comics pseudo-discuss current events (It's Bill Maher played strictly for laughs); I like Bill Maher's new show on HBO, but it seems to come and go awfully quickly;  I like DEAD RINGERS, an impersonation show on BBCAmerica...but if one is not up on the British political scene or their TV personalities, it can be a bit vague.

The only two shows...which are hardly new...that I consistently watch are  SOUTH PARK, still the most savagely incisive satire on TV and terribly, terribly funny, and THE McGAUGHLIN REPORT.

My stations are pretty much TCM, Fox Movie Channel, BBCAmerica, HG/TV and The Comedy Network.

Jane

« Reply #45 on: December 06, 2003, 12:52:21 PM »

Emily that is too cold for this time of year.  I do hope you make it through finals without getting sick.  Maybe you should stay away from the egg-nog and other dairy products for now.

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #46 on: December 06, 2003, 01:03:59 PM »

Oh, forgot to comment on new shows.  I don't have a lot of time for TV, and since I am sadly without any kind of cable, I'm limited to network.  Most of my TV veiwing consists of DVD's and movies.  That being said, I have caught a few episodes of Tru Calling, and I find it watchable.  I faithfully watch CSI (not really a new show) and Without A Trace, both of which I really enjoy

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #47 on: December 06, 2003, 01:05:44 PM »

I just came back from wandering around my new neighborhood and discovered that tonight is the night of the Annual Studio City Holiday Parade...which features Ed Begley Jr. as Grand Marshal - an interesting choice - AND the Original - yes the Original - Monkees Mobile! Plus vintage cars and carolers and Marching Bands and Santa, of course. I'm there, man. ( I probably won't last longer than 15 minutes, but they will be 15 quality minutes.)

Jane

« Reply #48 on: December 06, 2003, 01:06:34 PM »

Tom from Oz, my copy of Cloudstreet I ordered should arrive any day now.  I hope by Tuesday so I can take it to L.A. with me.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #49 on: December 06, 2003, 01:07:36 PM »

No lulls.  I need reading matter for my mental delectation.

Danise

« Reply #50 on: December 06, 2003, 01:32:42 PM »

Christmas in Connecticut Starring: Barbara Stanwyck & Dennis Morgan.  Does anyone remember that one?  I love it.  I haven't seen it yet this year.  

I put an request to Amazon to notify me when it's released to DVD.  I find I don't want the tapes any more.

I've seen the "new" version and think it is just horrible.

Thoughts?
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Maya

• I've always wanted to see the lights of Broadway..
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #51 on: December 06, 2003, 01:35:00 PM »

Enjoyed everyone's Barbie stories!  Hmmm...you girls were more creative children than I was...I just had them act out conventional soap opera story lines and go on dates with Ken.  I don't really think that playing with Barbies scarred me or anything, and I have a pretty decent level of self esteem...I just kind of more object to them now on principle.  

SWW--I've always thought that the sight of snow on a beach must be one of the most beautiful visions ever.  Intermingled sand and snow....sooo pretty and pristine.  

Emily--I hope you're not getting sick!  Drink lots of fluids, yada yada...you know the drill!

Well, I've done one application...one more to go.  Then I may be off to see a movie and do a sleepover with my best friend.  

Have a nice Saturday everyone!

Andrea

« Reply #52 on: December 06, 2003, 01:35:01 PM »

At this point, I don't even remember how to turn on my tv!

Can't wait till finals are over.

Tomovoz

« Reply #53 on: December 06, 2003, 01:49:48 PM »

Dr Michael Shayne. Yes I did watch the Oz "Are You Being Served". The talented June Bronhill played the Mrs Slocomb "(?) roll. The show could not use " Mr Grace" as a title as we do in fact have a Grace Bros department store  (Sydney). Almost the same format as the UK show and June and Inmann were terrific. More people should know June Bronhill  - "Robert & Elizabeth"and many recordings of operas and operettas in the early sixties in the UK. She played Maria VT in the first Oz production of TSOM and was wonderful.

Congratulations Jed on the show and the new status.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jane

« Reply #54 on: December 06, 2003, 01:54:15 PM »

Christmas in Connecticut Starring: Barbara Stanwyck & Dennis Morgan.  Does anyone remember that one?  I love it.  I haven't seen it yet this year.  

I also love Christmas in Connecticut.  I checked but couldn’t find a listing on T.V. for it.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2003, 01:54:54 PM by Jane »

Tomovoz

« Reply #55 on: December 06, 2003, 02:09:25 PM »

Great news Jane. Despite the setting of Perth (I am from the other side of the country), the time frame is very much my childhood. I do hope you enjoy the book.
Toys: Toys R Not US. (or were not us). All I ever wanted at Birthday and Christmas were books. I did have a clockwork boat that I would play with on our backyard fish pond. I do remember falling into the pond quite often when the boat stalled in the centre and I was trying to reach it. I think my dad was more concerned about me damaging his waterlily plants than about me or the boat or the goldfish.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #56 on: December 06, 2003, 02:12:35 PM »

DR Ron did you discover the answer to your question of yesterday by looking at the member list?
TV shows: "Six foot Under" is about it and I guess I have to wait another 10 months for more!
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #57 on: December 06, 2003, 02:19:13 PM »

I mentioned a week or so ago that I had ordered a copy (on recommendation) "Sordid Lives" which most certainly did not have a theatrical release in OZ. We watched it last night. Theatrical yes but enjoyable, very. Delightful film full of black humour and good performances by the ensemble. It is unusual for me to laugh out loud at a movie but I did with this one.
James Thurber 1957

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #58 on: December 06, 2003, 02:19:31 PM »

DR TomFrom Oz:  I'm clueless in Oakland.

What question did I ask yesterday that could be answered by looking at the member list?

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #59 on: December 06, 2003, 02:29:55 PM »

Okay, does anyone know if Mark B can control the ads that come up on the top of the page?  I swear, this is uncanny.  Last time we were discussing Krispy Kremes, ads for Krispy Kreme stock came up on the top of the screen...now we're talking Barbies and toys, and all sorts of Barbie and toy ads are up there...coincidence?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up