Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE DAY OF THE SOUND MIX  (Read 16717 times)

FJL

Re:THE DAY OF THE SOUND MIX
« Reply #60 on: April 29, 2006, 09:47:25 AM »

Rodzinski - I wonder if TPunks' friend was working for Joel Grey in 1993, when Mr. Grey was starring in one of Skip's show, HERRINGBONE (Skip was going by his full name, Walter Edgar Kennon, in those days), at Hartford Stage.  Mr. Grey was as far as I could tell a great artist, and gave a phenomenal performance.   This is an excerpt form the NY Times review back then:  

June 6, 1993, Sunday

SUNDAY VIEW; In a One-Man Show, Joel Grey Is a Crowd
By DAVID RICHARDS

If Joel Grey rolls up his pants to the knees, opens his baby blues to their full circumference and puts a little red-and-white schoolboy's cap on his head, he can, at the age of 61, pass for 8. By puffing up his cheeks, extending his arms out from his sides and lowering his body to a seated position -- although there is no chair nearby for him to sit on -- he is able to transform himself rather convincingly into a frog. And when he lets his wrists melt, allows his hips to expand in a circular swivel and draws his mouth into the shape of a rosebud, he could be any floozy in the lobby of a third-rate hotel looking for a good time.

Mr. Grey can also sing and dance, by the way.

All of this makes him the right person to take on "Herringbone," a bizarre one-man musical in which the man in question, a bowler-hatted, cane-twirling entertainer named Herringbone, plays 10 different characters -- among them, an 8-year-old boy, a floozy and a frog, or at least a crazed vaudevillian who was once part of a team called "The Chicken and the Frog." Written by Tom Cone, with sprightly music by Walter Edgar Kennon and singular lyrics by Ellen Fitzhugh, "Herringbone" attracted attention at Playwrights Horizons in 1982 when the late David Rounds was doing all the transformations and having to change sex, voice and personality every other line or so.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #61 on: April 29, 2006, 09:50:30 AM »

Brought Ye Olde Laptop to work, so here I am "on location".  We're starting to lay in the sfx now.

One of my favorite bit of "borrowing" stories is when a columnist for a theater website had the chutzpah to use "dear readers" - it was so  blatantly obvious where he'd cadged it from and I wrote him and told him he looked like an idiot for doing it.  He never did it again.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #62 on: April 29, 2006, 11:41:03 AM »

So, let me get this straight - not one post in over ninety minutes.   I may vomit.

François de Paris

« Reply #63 on: April 29, 2006, 11:46:04 AM »

So, let me get this straight - not one post in over ninety minutes.   I may vomit.

ON THE FLOOR???

How gross! How unseemly! :D

Ben

« Reply #64 on: April 29, 2006, 11:46:19 AM »

Oh, please don't vomit!!!

I'l post, I'll post.

François de Paris

« Reply #65 on: April 29, 2006, 11:48:25 AM »

My next play's title:

"Oh, Please Don't Vomit" (I'm British!)".

Ben

« Reply #66 on: April 29, 2006, 11:48:42 AM »

Bonsoir Monsieur François! Comment ça va ce soir?

My French lesson for the day  :D

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #67 on: April 29, 2006, 11:58:17 AM »

E&T yesterday with final rehearsal for the wee play I'm directing. Today it opens. I've done all I can do. And I think it has really come together and should be a cute piece. One of the actresses is making her return to the stage after some time away, so I worry a little about her nerves.

The other thing is we only got to rehearse in the actual space one time, so I hope they don't get thrown in the somewhat unfamiliar surroundings.

Vibes requested!!

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~VIBES FOR RODZINSKI AND HIS CAST!~~~[/move]
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

François de Paris

« Reply #68 on: April 29, 2006, 11:58:20 AM »

May I say something?

Well, if Miss Reese Withercuillière deserved an Oscar (And she did!) so did Felicity Huffman for her work in TransAmerica, imho!

There! I said it!

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #69 on: April 29, 2006, 12:00:21 PM »

Oh, hey! I forgot to mention yesterday: Bruce looks so svelte - he has lost a lot of weight since I last saw him a few weeks ago at the final show of DECEIT. Wow. His face is taking on a very chiseled look, cheekbones, jaw line... this is probably because the weight loss has been so rapid - but he does look quite lovely.

But we want to hear about his BUNS OF STEEL.
“One thing’s universal,

Maria

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #70 on: April 29, 2006, 12:01:25 PM »

Has anybody mentioned JAWS? The shark attacks would IMHO be pretty lame without Williams' music. In fact, it's so powerful that once it's established you don't even need to see the shark - just hear the ominous theme -  to be petrified.

François de Paris

« Reply #71 on: April 29, 2006, 12:02:43 PM »

Bonsoir Monsieur François! Comment ça va ce soir?

My French lesson for the day  :D

Oh.... I'm cranky! Yes, I'm cranky!
We're having some Thanksgiving weather here and I don't like it!

In other words (I Love You!): ça ne va pas! :-\

(Never use Monsieur with a first name! That's for PIMPS... and G*d knows how hard it is to be a pimp these days! ;)

"Remember" Madame Claude or... the Mayflower Madam.... and I'm NOT talking about Louis Malle's wife! :-X :o ;D

Kerry

« Reply #72 on: April 29, 2006, 12:08:54 PM »

Happy Birthday VIXTER!!!!!!!

I like boat races.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #73 on: April 29, 2006, 12:10:31 PM »

[size=8]HAPPY BIRTHDAY[/size]

[move=down,scroll,6,transparent,100%]VIXTER![/move]

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]VIXTER![/move]

[move=right,scroll,6,transparent,100%]VIXTER![/move]

[move=up,scroll,6,transparent,100%]VIXTER![/move]
“One thing’s universal,

François de Paris

« Reply #74 on: April 29, 2006, 12:10:35 PM »

May I say something:

SEXY MOVIE plays in 30 theaters all over Paris and Greater Paris!

TRANSAMERICA plays in 14 theaters only!
First week for both!!

Need I say more?

(Of course it's Springbreak here!

GIVE ME A BREAK!!)

Maria

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #75 on: April 29, 2006, 12:10:58 PM »

And how about VERTIGO? Herrmann's music as Jimmy Stewart follows Kim Novak in his car (or, really, any scene in that film).
Morricone, THE GOOD, THE BAD AND THE UGLY - the final scenes.

Enough - I have things to do. just wanted to prevent projectile vomiting.

***VIBES TO DR RODZINSKI!***
« Last Edit: April 29, 2006, 12:14:59 PM by Maria »

Maria

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #76 on: April 29, 2006, 12:12:21 PM »

Forgot to say...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY DD VIXTER!

François de Paris

« Reply #77 on: April 29, 2006, 12:12:34 PM »

Has anybody mentioned JAWS? The shark attacks would IMHO be pretty lame without Williams' music. In fact, it's so powerful that once it's established you don't even need to see the shark - just hear the ominous theme -  to be petrified.

Yes! Hitchcock knew all about that; it's what one does not see that's scary... plus the music! Plus our own weird minds....
« Last Edit: April 29, 2006, 12:15:38 PM by François »

Kerry

« Reply #78 on: April 29, 2006, 12:13:06 PM »

Movie music:

the three that come to mind immediately are:

Kim Novak and William Holden starting to dance to "Moonglow" when the "Picnic" theme sneaks in and solidifies the whole thing.  Sheer perfection.

The next two would be Bernard Herrman's scores for "Vertigo" and "Obsession"  (particularly the palces where Jimmy Stewart and Cliff Roberstson, respectively, are kissing Kim Novak and Genvieve Bujold- repsectively) with the camera encirlcling them and the music giving you a great sense of climax and foreboding.

Another is John Willimas' flying theme from "E.T."
I like boat races.

François de Paris

« Reply #79 on: April 29, 2006, 12:13:52 PM »

But we want to hear about his BUNS OF STEEL.

Just "about", nothing more from... his buns! ;)

Maria

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #80 on: April 29, 2006, 12:17:26 PM »

Kim Novak and William Holden starting to dance to "Moonglow" when the "Picnic" theme sneaks in and solidifies the whole thing.  Sheer perfection.

Yes! How could I forget that one? I melt each time I see it.

MBarnum

« Reply #81 on: April 29, 2006, 12:17:28 PM »

Well...the scene where Sally (played by June Kenney) discovers for the first time that her hunch is right and yes, her fiance Bob (played by John Agar) has indeed been turned shrunken into a Barbie sized doll by her boss Mr. Franz (played by John Hoyt) in this very tense scene from ATTACK OF THE PUPPET PEOPLE.

The music is quite dramatic.

MBarnum

« Reply #82 on: April 29, 2006, 12:18:59 PM »

The neighbors dog has figured out how to open my backyard gate. He likes to come over and eat Bosco's outdoor food every. He has done this several times so far.

I wish the neighbors would remember to feed their dog.

MBarnum

« Reply #83 on: April 29, 2006, 12:21:17 PM »

Bosco had his first bath today...he wasn't to pleased with it, but went along with the process.

Then we went for a walk and he is now collapsed on the floor taking a nap...and snoring.

In a few hours we will hie ourselves up to Mark and James so that he can play with the newly neutered cousin Digger while we adults have a barbecue.

François de Paris

« Reply #84 on: April 29, 2006, 12:22:00 PM »

Yes! How could I forget that one? I melt each time I see it.

Always loved a Panni Melt! Err... a Patty Melt! ;)

François de Paris

« Reply #85 on: April 29, 2006, 12:22:41 PM »

The neighbors dog has figured out how to open my backyard gate. He likes to come over and eat Bosco's outdoor food every. He has done this several times so far.

I wish the neighbors would remember to feed their dog.

Sounds like something Fletcher would do!!

François de Paris

« Reply #86 on: April 29, 2006, 12:23:58 PM »

Bosco had his first bath today...he wasn't to pleased with it, but went along with the process.

Then we went for a walk and he is now collapsed on the floor taking a nap...and snoring.

In a few hours we will hie ourselves up to Mark and James so that he can play with the newly neutered cousin Digger while we adults have a barbecue.

Newly Neutred Cousin Digger

is the title of my new Country Song!! :D

MBarnum

« Reply #87 on: April 29, 2006, 12:25:16 PM »

And a grand happy birthday to one of the neatest kids I have ever met...DD Vixter!

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #88 on: April 29, 2006, 12:28:48 PM »

HAPPY, HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO OUR VIXTER!!!

TOD- I just love the opening to RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK - virtually no dialogue, the actors, the jungle, the director and THE MUSIC!! by John Williams... and finally, their plane takes off!! BIG THEME!!! Oh, boy!

The boys, on their bikes, are trying to get ET home... they are being chased by the Feds... can they get away? Oh, no, they can't! Suddenly, the bikes soar off into the air, the music soars, my heart leaps out of my chest, it's so beautiful.

PENNY!! thanks I could not remember that oen for some odd reason..

Many of John Wiliams scores are amazing.. Even though the movie was not one of Ron Howards better ones, I thought the score Far and Away was great. I also liked how they incorported the Irish music in the scene i call "fighting for dough".
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #89 on: April 29, 2006, 12:30:52 PM »

E&T yesterday with final rehearsal for the wee play I'm directing. Today it opens. I've done all I can do. And I think it has really come together and should be a cute piece. One of the actresses is making her return to the stage after some time away, so I worry a little about her nerves.

The other thing is we only got to rehearse in the actual space one time, so I hope they don't get thrown in the somewhat unfamiliar surroundings.

Vibes requested!!

Directing Vibes to Rodz!!!
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up