Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: THE FINAL THROES OF APRIL  (Read 20147 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:THE FINAL THROES OF APRIL
« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2006, 08:55:00 AM »

elmore, both The Heiress and Double Indemnity are out in the UK on region 2 DVDs (have them both) and they're both very nice transfers, so I assume region ones will be coming (Double Indemnity has already been announced as a two-disc SE and our very own Mr. Nick Redman has participated in at least one of the extras).

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2006, 08:56:20 AM »

Mr Joel Gray/aka Joel Katz.

When they were filming the musical remake of BROTHER RAT called ABOUT FACE at Warner Bros in the early 1950's, Mr Katz  had a role.

I guess he was pretty happy to be in the movie and he was trying VERY hard to be good.

After one particularly trying scene in which Mr Katz did his "thing" - another star of the picture turned to the director and said: "Whose boyfriend is HE?"

And if you've ever seen About Face (I saw it many, many times on the Million Dollar Movie) you've gotten to see Mr. Grey with his real nose.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2006, 09:24:06 AM »

elmore, both The Heiress and Double Indemnity are out in the UK on region 2 DVDs (have them both) and they're both very nice transfers, so I assume region ones will be coming (Double Indemnity has already been announced as a two-disc SE and our very own Mr. Nick Redman has participated in at least one of the extras).

It really pisses me off that DVDs in different regional codes aren't released at the same time; OH WHAT A LOVELY WAR! has been available in the UK, along with Peter Brooks' THE BEGGAR'S OPERA.  Damn!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Maria

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2006, 09:47:52 AM »

I was listening to Lee Remick singing while I walked this morning ("Anyone Can Whistle")... What a lovely voice she had! And what a wonderful actress - and so beautiful.  Thinking of her brought to mind a TOD... Performers who passed away far too soon. Obviously James Dean comes to mind. Natalie Wood, of course. Thoughts?

Ginny

« Reply #34 on: April 30, 2006, 09:49:40 AM »

Sunday greetings!  I did manage to sleep in all the way 'til 9:30 this morning.  Sorted through a week's accumulation of mail and read both Sunday papers (Middletown and Cincinnati).  We are all home today, taking it easy.

My choice for DVD - Advance to the Rear, musical score provided by The New Christy Minstrels.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #35 on: April 30, 2006, 09:49:49 AM »

I was telling a friend yesterday about the Kern number "They Didn't Believe Me" having been sung by a male chorus in one of the most hauntingly beautiful finales of any film -- "Oh! What A Lovely War!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #36 on: April 30, 2006, 09:51:19 AM »

Woke up a bit morose this morning.  

The last day of my 4-day weekend...sigh.  The weather is glorious.

Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ginny

« Reply #37 on: April 30, 2006, 09:54:43 AM »

...The centerpiece: The Leading Lady sits Center Stage to open wads of great stuff - During which, one by one, several ladies look furtively at their watches several times, surreptitiously gather up their purses and jackets, and head for the door, waving and blowing kisses.

Though a perennial favorite, for me the show is dated, un-funny, and devoid of melody; the set was lovely, if somewhat static; direction all but non-existent -- it's just taxing and not all that entertaining to watch a beautiful young woman read the card and open the gift thirty or forty times in two hours, two weekends in a row. The show needed better dialogue, some better dance numbers. I have to say the food was great, and a lot of it. And lots of Hershey's Kisses all over the tulip-festooned tables - kudos to the propsmaster.

DR PennyO - LOL - been there several times in the not-too-distant past for nieces of my DH, bridal showers for both and, more recently, a baby shower for one of them.  And they're not even my relatives!  I made my DH pay for the presents, though.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #38 on: April 30, 2006, 09:55:10 AM »

And if you've ever seen About Face (I saw it many, many times on the Million Dollar Movie) you've gotten to see Mr. Grey with his real nose.

Yes....though it's more of a NOOOOOOOOOOSE.  :P
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Cillaliz

« Reply #39 on: April 30, 2006, 09:55:42 AM »

Still raining.

It's been raining here since thursday night.  It isn't supposed to stop until Monday or Tuesday....Thursday I go to Philadelphia where the forcast is....RAIN!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #40 on: April 30, 2006, 09:56:02 AM »

Performers who were taken from us too soon:

Robert Francis
River Phoenix
Sharon Tate

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #41 on: April 30, 2006, 09:56:12 AM »

DR PENNYO - not too many men get to see that particular show....not that I'm complaining!

DR ELMORE - I would guess that the Moth Queen's Palace would only have been included in a film version if it had been produced by Ross Hunter....and starring Sandra Dee!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #42 on: April 30, 2006, 09:59:07 AM »

DR PENNYO - not too many men get to see that particular show....not that I'm complaining!

DR ELMORE - I would guess that the Moth Queen's Palace would only have been included in a film version if it had been produced by Ross Hunter....and starring Sandra Dee!

Yes, but it might have had a lovely orchestration by Andre Previn and been as wonderful as THOROUGHLY MODERN MILLIE.

Or as god-awful ghastly as LOST HORIZON!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #43 on: April 30, 2006, 10:00:22 AM »

I watched "Suddenly, Last Summer" on DVD last night.  A very strange, compelling film with some over-the-top-yet-chillingly compelling performances by Kate Hepburn and Liz Taylor.

Although I've seen this film numerous times, this was the first time I felt the motivations of Ms. Hepburn's "Violet Venable" to have been totally transparent throughout the proceedings.  

A strange, yet wonderful, film experience.  And was anyone ever like Mercedes McCambridge in any way?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #44 on: April 30, 2006, 10:02:26 AM »

Performers who were taken from us too soon:

Robert Francis
River Phoenix
Sharon Tate

Though the US release will be a one disk version (says AMAZON) - there is a DVD called Screen Tests from Fox that shows some of Sharon Tate's scenes from VD....and she is MUCH better in all of them than she was in the same scenes in the movie.  Patty Duke wrote that director Mark Robson was so unimpressed with Sharon Tate and her abilities that he gave her line readings and counts (unbutton the coat on this word, turn on this word)....and drive her to distraction on the set so that she became completely unsure of herself.....  But if you've seen her screen tests, she could have been a LOT better in the biggest role of her career.

There is no denying her beauty....and certainly other directors got some nice performances from her.  I thought she was very funny as secretary Janet Trego (in a black wig) in a few episodes of THE BEVERLY HILLBILLIES.  The scenes with her and Nancy Kulp were terrific.  ;D

And in the morass that was the VD movie....Tate's final scene was VERY moving....and watching it onscreen during a re-release (top billing at last) after her tragic demise was moving and eerie.   The Previn music helped greatly, but Tate was stunning!  I will never forget those moments on the BIG screen.  :'(

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #45 on: April 30, 2006, 10:03:52 AM »

Yes, but it might have had a lovely orchestration by Andre Previn and been as wonderful as THOROUGHLY MODERN MILLIE.

Or as god-awful ghastly as LOST HORIZON!

My guess is ghastly with an emphasis on the latter.  ;D

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #46 on: April 30, 2006, 10:05:44 AM »

Will DECEIT have underscoring?

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #47 on: April 30, 2006, 10:06:07 AM »

I was telling a friend yesterday about the Kern number "They Didn't Believe Me" having been sung by a male chorus in one of the most hauntingly beautiful finales of any film -- "Oh! What A Lovely War!

I really love the film, and the ending stays with you for a long time!

Mabel Barrison, who became a star at the age of 22, singing "I Can't do the Sum" in BABES IN TOYLAND in 1903, died of tuberculosis in 1912.  She never recorded anything, and one Chicago critic said she should turn her toes out and her tunes in while another said her voice needed sandpapering.  She died too young!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #48 on: April 30, 2006, 10:08:30 AM »

My guess is ghastly with an emphasis on the latter.  ;D

I don't know if a Ross Hunter film would have a Giant Spider's lair, but I'm sure he knew several moth queens or moth-eaten queens!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #49 on: April 30, 2006, 10:08:43 AM »

Hmmmm....more rain DR GINNY?  I think it's headed your way!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #50 on: April 30, 2006, 10:09:43 AM »

There is no denying her beauty....and certainly other directors got some nice performances from her.  I thought she was very funny as secretary Janet Trego (in a black wig) in a few episodes of THE BEVERLY HILLBILLIES.  The scenes with her and Nancy Kulp were terrific.  ;D

I really like her in THE FEARLESS VAMPIRE KILLERS.

MBarnum

« Reply #51 on: April 30, 2006, 10:10:25 AM »

TOD... Performers who passed away far too soon. Obviously James Dean comes to mind. Natalie Wood, of course. Thoughts?

Audie Murphy, Suzan Ball, Jeffrey Chandler and Jeffrey Hunter all come to mind.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #52 on: April 30, 2006, 10:12:08 AM »

I don't know if a Ross Hunter film would have a Giant Spider's lair, but I'm sure he knew several moth queens or moth-eaten queens!

My guess would be that Ross Hunter's office (AND Herman Cohen's) were probably known as the Giant Spider's lair...  ::)

And as for moth-eaten queens....yup...he not only knew them, he cast them in his movies....though George Cukor was the King of that!  How many movies can you put Sammy Colt in?  :P  And when I see some of the Hollywood hustlers and whores he put in the crowd scenes of MY FAIR LADY - well, Mary, I tell you!  8)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #53 on: April 30, 2006, 10:12:47 AM »

I really like her in THE FEARLESS VAMPIRE KILLERS.

She's certainly front and front and center in that movie!  ;D

MBarnum

« Reply #54 on: April 30, 2006, 10:14:24 AM »

More yard work today, and by golly I WILL get to cleaning out the garage today!!!

I also will interview a popular 1960s TV star this afternoon who was a co-star of Annette Funicello's in one movie!

MBarnum

« Reply #55 on: April 30, 2006, 10:15:56 AM »

Oh, Sammy Colt...now why haven't I interviewed him!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #56 on: April 30, 2006, 10:16:52 AM »

Over the past couple of days, I've devoured three of the five DVDs in the Classic Musicals set:

"Ziegfeld Follies" --  The highlights, for me, remain the peerless "Limehouse Blues" and "This Heart of Mine."

Actually, I think a case could be made for "Limehouse Blues" being the first MGM musical ballet...at least in execution.  I think "The Pirate Ballet" is the earliest "named" number that says, "Hey! This is a ballet!"  But these numbers in "...Follies" were filmed in 1943...a couple of years earlier, at least.

In this film, and in "Till the Clouds Roll By," I was reminded of the delights of Virginia O'Brien, the deadpan muse.  In "...Follies," she has that terrific "Bring on the Wonderful Men" number (which reminded me of the terrific "Wild, Wild West" number she has in "The Harvey Girls.").  I wish I had access to more movies in which she was a featured player.

On Friday, I had planned on hitting a few numbers in "Till the Clouds Roll By" but found myself irresistibly drawn into the entire film.  The music throughout is superb, definitively performed and often quite stirring.  Dinah Shore's two songs -- "They Didn't Believe Me" and "The Last Time I Saw Paris" -- are wonderful.  Interestingly, the latter song was an Oscar Hammerstein lyric written after he learned the Germans had marched into Paris in 1940.  He gave it to Kern to work with.  Less than 24 hours later, Kern had set it to the music we know today.  It's first use in film was in "Lady Be Good" and it won the Academy Award.  Here, Shore sings it as b/w footage of Paris in better days is shown in the background.  Of interest is that the trailer (I think) shows Dinah singing the song without the video background...instead, there is an arty painting of the Eiffel Tower.

The movie looks wonderful, sounds incredible and remains one of MGM's splashiest musical treats.  The story creaks a bit, but with 20 songs, it doesn't get a chance to creak very often. (The Van Heflin character of Hessler and his daughter Susie are made up...inventions...no such persons ever were in Kern's life).

Yesterday afternoon, I took in "Three Little Words" -- my first viewing in more than a decade, IIRC.  The story is another "fabrication" since both Kalmar and Ruby had a terrific friendship/working relationship.  It really irritates me to learn that MGM's writers made up conflicts to keep the movie "interesting"...going so far as to invent people and situations that just weren't so.  I guess the conflict keeps things going, but I feel cheated in that I thought Kalmar was a frustrated writer of plays and screenplays...and he never did any such thing.

But the music is wonderful...still resonates to this day (for me)...and I continue to find Arlene Dahl simply sensational in this "musical" appearnace.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2006, 10:19:31 AM by Ron Pulliam »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #57 on: April 30, 2006, 10:24:05 AM »

But the music is wonderful...still resonates to this day (for me)...and I continue to find Arlene Dahl simply sensational in this "musical" appearnace.

Have you seen her turn as Van Heflin's wife in WOMAN'S WORLD...Arlene was beautiful....and there was some acting talent there, though it got lost in the makeup and furs and fashions.  ;D

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #58 on: April 30, 2006, 10:24:51 AM »

More yard work today, and by golly I WILL get to cleaning out the garage today!!!

I also will interview a popular 1960s TV star this afternoon who was a co-star of Annette Funicello's in one movie!

Tim, Tom, Dwayne, or Roberta?   8)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #59 on: April 30, 2006, 10:29:19 AM »

Really enjoy Tom Kirk's commentaries on SWISS FAMILY ROBINSON and THE SHAGGY DOG!!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up