Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: THE FINAL THROES OF APRIL  (Read 20146 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
THE FINAL THROES OF APRIL
« on: April 30, 2006, 12:13:09 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you've absorbed the notes like a Brawny paper towel, and now it is time for you to post until the cows come home - they're in the final throes of something or other and they'll be home directly after.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2006, 12:21:50 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:THE FINAL THROES OF APRIL
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2006, 12:13:44 AM »

And the word of the day is: CUCUMBER!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2006, 12:37:21 AM »

Later today, I'm going to see a not-so-local community production of Fiddler On the Roof (it's at The Lakewood Playhouse, which is about a half hour north of me...right next to Tacoma).  A friend of mine is playing Fruma-Sarah.  It should be pretty good.  It'll be a long day, but fun. ;D

« Last Edit: April 30, 2006, 12:48:23 AM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Tomovoz

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2006, 01:13:24 AM »

Now I shall be humming "Cucumber Cucumber bake me a few", "If I were a quiche man" and "Fruition".
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2006, 01:14:45 AM »

And the cake maker's  song "Some Rise some Set".
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2006, 04:23:31 AM »

Good morning, all!  We're almost six months into the year and it feels to me as if New Year's Eve were yesterday.  I sound like Gertrude Stein.  

I'm off to Toyland for about three hours, then my former intern Dylan is coming in for a visit.  He wants to spend the summer in New York, so he's beginning a job search before school lets out for the summer in three weeks.  I've been clearing out ephemera and detritus I no longer need nor desire to make a bit of room for him in this small apartment, and I now have 10 cartons of books, music, and videocassettes to dispose of.  In the next two weeks, I plan to continue the cleanup and clearout.  And I might even make some money out of all this.  Wouldn't that be loverly?

No word on the Mario Frangoulis work, so perhaps that's fallen through, but I've almost finished the number for Ron and Debbie, and I feel certain something else will come along.

TOD:  We haven't discussed this one for a while, but what films are we still wishing woud arrive on DVD?  I have at least four off the bat:
THE CAT AND THE CANARY with Bob Hope
OH, WHAT A LOVELY WAR!
THE HEIRESS
DOUBLE INDEMNITY
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2006, 04:42:43 AM »

Ah, yes, a direction oft heard in radio dramas, back in the 1930s.  To cumber, of course, means to weigh down or burden as in "was cumbered with many duties", or to hamper or hinder, as by being in the way.  At the appropriate moment, when the hero or heroine of the radio drama was beset with numerous duties or problems, the director of the radio drama would call out from the sound booth "Cue Cumber," at which point the foley man would drop a fifty-pound sack of flour on a resonant box, which when properly miked would give an appropriate thud.

I miss good radio drama, don't you?
« Last Edit: April 30, 2006, 04:43:35 AM by S. Woody White »
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2006, 06:10:40 AM »

All I know is - if you cut a cucumber in half and rub the two pieces together you can get rid of a lot of the acid or something.  I saw Connie Stevens do this on a cooking show on TV about 25 years ago.  I still do it, and it still works, but I don't know what it is that comes out.....could be all the vitamins, for all I know.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2006, 06:12:52 AM »

Great vibes for DR RODZINSKI's continued directorial success!

Lots of great music mentioned yesterday, including of course SOUTH PACIFIC, which is MY favorite of the R/H scores....slightly nudging out THE KING AND I.

However, my favorite R/H song is still "Love Look Away" from FLOWER DRUM SONG which was recorded by Mr Guy Haines on his latest CD and which has become my favorite recording of my favorite song....second only to the movie soundtrack version.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2006, 06:13:47 AM »

All I know is, I don't have to work today!

It is raining.  Blue is in her pen, has come out to play a few times, and if it thunders I will put her on the back porch, because she is afraid of storms.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2006, 06:17:26 AM »

Mr Joel Gray/aka Joel Katz.

When they were filming the musical remake of BROTHER RAT called ABOUT FACE at Warner Bros in the early 1950's, Mr Katz  had a role.

I guess he was pretty happy to be in the movie and he was trying VERY hard to be good.

After one particularly trying scene in which Mr Katz did his "thing" - another star of the picture turned to the director and said: "Whose boyfriend is HE?"

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2006, 06:18:02 AM »

So now of course when I see a particularly terrible or hammy or self indulgent performance, I always ask: "Whose boyfriend is HE?"

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2006, 06:53:20 AM »

They do wonders for the eyes....
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2006, 06:55:13 AM »

Lovely logo for Kritzerland for the Deceit DVD...
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2006, 06:55:35 AM »

Looking forward to the release...

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2006, 07:04:41 AM »

Great KRITZERLAND logo.

DRMBARNUM - my favorite musical moment from AOPP is the song sung by one of the puppet people herself.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2006, 07:19:18 AM »

Good morning!

Cool and very overcast here today. DOn't know if we'll get rain later today or not, but it's not getting out of the 60s. Then, we begin a gradual warming trend for the rest of the week.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2006, 07:20:58 AM »

DVDs I'd most like to have:

THE PIRATE

FLOWER DRUM SONG

THE YELLOW ROLLS-ROYCE

I LOVE MELVIN

TWO WEEKS WITH LOVE

Matt H.

« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2006, 07:22:50 AM »

I read recently that a new, remastered DOUBLE INDEMNITY is on its way this year. Anything would be an improvement over the last DVD issue which is practically unwatchable.

Matt H.

« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2006, 07:24:16 AM »

I'm invited to a friend's house for dinner tonight, so much of tonight's very crowded TV lineup will have to be recorded. Have no idea when I'll get home, but I'm guessing CROSSING JORDAN will be the only one I'll get to see "live."

Matt H.

« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2006, 07:25:41 AM »

And I plucked SONG OF THE SOUTH off the shelf to watch this afternoon sort of saving THREE LITTLE WORDS since it's the last of that marvelous MGM musical box set to be viewed.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2006, 07:50:41 AM »

Still raining.

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2006, 08:36:52 AM »

Yesterday's bridal shower was shorter than last week's - only 4 hours,one half hour having been edited from the 4 and a half hour length of the last one...

But I did get to visit a bit with some of my mother's cousins and my dad's niece - whom I haven't seen since the funerals last July. That was very nice.

Plot: A bunch of ladies enter a restaurant, there is much squealing and hugging. Dance number: they find their place cards and sit at gaily decorated tables. SONG (waiters): Which Would You Prefer? Chorale: Mmmm, What Did You Order?
The centerpiece: The Leading Lady sits Center Stage to open wads of great stuff - During which, one by one, several ladies look furtively at their watches several times, surreptitiously gather up their purses and jackets, and head for the door, waving and blowing kisses.

Though a perennial favorite, for me the show is dated, un-funny, and devoid of melody; the set was lovely, if somewhat static; direction all but non-existent -- it's just taxing and not all that entertaining to watch a beautiful young woman read the card and open the gift thirty or forty times in two hours, two weekends in a row. The show needed better dialogue, some better dance numbers. I have to say the food was great, and a lot of it. And lots of Hershey's Kisses all over the tulip-festooned tables - kudos to the propsmaster.
PennyO

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2006, 08:38:12 AM »

I'm back from my dangerous trek to Toyland, past the Giant spider's lair and the Moth Queen's Floral Palace (both locales mysteriously omitted by Hal Roach and Disney), and now I await the arrival of Dylan O'Brien.  I stopped at a drug store and picked up some toiletries for the dangerous trek to Ohio on Friday, all the while thinking I should maybe stop at a druggist working the corner of 72nd and Amsterdam for a few sedations when dealing with family crises next week as well.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2006, 08:39:21 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2006, 08:40:07 AM »

That's my new philosophy:  there is no problem so great that a few drugs can't remove.

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2006, 08:41:44 AM »

Good morning, Elmo and Matt!
PennyO

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2006, 08:43:20 AM »

Yes - drugs: faster and cheaper than therapy, and capable of totally anesthetizing one from the pain in the ass of may situations...
PennyO

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2006, 08:43:57 AM »

er... that's MANY situations... or MAY situations, beginning tomorrow...
PennyO

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2006, 08:46:11 AM »

Must be Sunday or something - folks sleeping in... oh, how I envy good sleepers...
PennyO

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2006, 08:48:14 AM »

I'm heading North to the cabin on Wednesday - take a few days in the forest, remind the blue jays and raccoons that I have returned, yank a few weeds, before going to Seattle for the play. I am looking forward to it! AND the weather up there is apparently nicer than here...
PennyO
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up