Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: OLD MAN RIVER  (Read 19420 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
OLD MAN RIVER
« on: May 09, 2006, 12:14:29 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes have rolled along and so have you, and now it is time for you to post until the cows come home - they're currently rolling along and trying to find old man river so the twain can meet.  However, the twain is at the station, so that's always a problem.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2006, 12:32:40 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:OLD MAN RIVER
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2006, 12:15:48 AM »

And the word of the day is: DELIVERANCE!

Tomovoz

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2006, 12:23:36 AM »

My favourite Stan Freberg track is "Elderly Man River"
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2006, 12:24:56 AM »

Word of the day - first thought of that Noel Coward line from "I Wonder What Happened To Him" - "Took to pig sticking in quite the wrong way"
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2006, 12:25:47 AM »

Boating stories?  I've only been on few boats and all experiences have been (thankfully) fairly uneventful.  And that is the end of any of my boating stories. :)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Tomovoz

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2006, 12:30:27 AM »

Trains and Boats and planes!

As a young teenager I used to spend many summer days on my Uncle's launch - fishing, and listening to Top 40 songs.

I did travel to England from OZ by ship in 1973 - via the Panama Canal.  

I also remember far from successful attempts at rowing a boat. I've never been sailing or in a canoe or kayak.
James Thurber 1957

George

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2006, 12:37:59 AM »

I did travel to England from OZ by ship in 1973 - via the Panama Canal.

That would've been cool!  My former supervisor and her husband used to take a vacation every May (for practically the entire month).  Usually, they would go to Hawaii, but once in a while, they would take a cruise.  One time, they flew down to Florida (I think), got on the ship, cruised down south, went through the Panama Canal and ended up in California, then they flew back to Seattle.  She did mention that it wasn't unusual at the end of each cruise to hear that at least one person had died!  Usually, older people falling off of the walkways...but still!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Tomovoz

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2006, 12:45:00 AM »

Perhaps TCB will regale us with tales of his days as cabin boy on the Tea clipper ships.
James Thurber 1957

George

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2006, 12:45:39 AM »

I must be off.  Good evening, Tom!

George

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2006, 12:46:35 AM »

Perhaps TCB will regale us with tales of his days as cabin boy on the Tea clipper ships.

I'm sure he has tales to tell! ;)

Tomovoz

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2006, 12:53:04 AM »

"Boot and knee on the Mountie"  A rugged tale of Canadian life in the protective services - injured parties being carried to safety by Stetcher Christians after being heel mauled.
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2006, 12:53:41 AM »

Goodnight DR George.
James Thurber 1957

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2006, 03:22:17 AM »

And the word of the day is: DELIVERANCE!
My hairdresser told me "De liver rinse will do de most mahveluss things for you hair, dahling.  We extract de juices from only de very best cuts of calves liver and massage it onto you scalp, where it adds body and vitamins and... no, wait, where you going?"

::)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2006, 03:22:59 AM »

Good morning, Danise!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Danise

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2006, 03:24:10 AM »

Good morning to all!

Hi S. Woody White, what are you doing up this early?

Just wanted to say Thank you to everyone for making my Birthday a special one.  

My boss brought in all sorts of sweet rolls for my Birthday and a Apple turnover (Yum!  My favorite) for me.  

I'm glad that David Blaine is alright.  Above all the hype, etc, he still is a human and I wouldn't want to watch anyone die for my "entertainment'.  

Gotta run!  

Laters all.  
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Danise

« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2006, 03:25:12 AM »

Good morning, Danise!

Good morning to you as well!   :D

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2006, 03:45:07 AM »

TOD:

Ever hear of a Folbot?

They are a kind of kayak, but can be taken apart and put back together.  My Dad decided it would be fun to have one to take with us on our camping trips.  The frame, which had to be put together in two parts first, was made of wood and aluminum piping.  After the fore and aft halves were assembled, they were inserted and then joined inside the hull, which was made of a rubberized fabric.  Ours was a steely blue color, with a sunshine yellow top.

The first time we put it together was in the livingroom of our home in Burbank, CA.  Since the Folbot was a two-person rig, it stretched from the far end of the livingroom on into the dining room.  Of course, since it was new everything was stiff, and putting it together was a bitch.  Not to mention how stiff my Dad felt the next morning.  After a few days, Mom complained that it was making housekeeping too difficult, so we took it apart again.  At least we knew what we'd be doing on our next camping trip.

Back then, the fifth member of my family was our dog, Shortz, who had quite the personality.  Shortz was a black and tan miniature Daschund, so named by my sister because everyone else in the family (save my mother) was tall.  I didn't care for the name, myself, and would often call him Hugo or Henrick or Herbert, anything that started with an H, and he fully understood that I was referring to him.

Well, it didn't take long for Henrick to decide that he, too, wanted to get in the Folbot when we were out on a lake paddling around.  At first, he was content just to put his front paws on the railing around the passenger section, and watch the world go by.  After a while, however, he decided it would be fun to get up on the yellow top of the hull.  It was strong enough to hold him.  And it would be fun to look down at the water.

And, oops, he fell in!

So of course we had to fish him out of the water, and dry him off.  And after he was dried off, he would watch the world go by...

And presently he would climb up on the top of the hull again...

He had a marvelous time riding in that boat, and swimming around it.  We learned very quickly to take several towels with us whenever he would go riding.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2006, 04:03:59 AM »

I'm up this early because I've got an early shift at the store today.

The week to come should be interesting.  Yesterday, four new cashiers started their training, in preparation for the summer.  Being a resort town, Rehoboth Beach gets very busy during those months, and a lot of the people who come into town don't eat all their meals in restaurants.  There will be lots of barbecues and parties, so we'll be selling a lot of food.

So, much of my shift yesterday was spent with Lauren, showing her how I do what I do, explaining as I went.  She's pretty sharp, caught on quickly, and listened well.  After our break, she spent some time watching a video on how to bag properly, and then came back and worked as my bagger.

And I needed one!  We had six registers running, and there was rarely a break between customers.  Quite often we had a line, just a short one but a line all the same.  I've a hunch it's going to be a very busy summer.

Whether or not I'll be training someone else today, I don't know.  I do know we've been short-staffed, what with some of our old hands transferring to the new store a half-hour south of here.  Three of the cashiers who are still with us have moved to other departments, and one is out on medical leave (after having both hips replaced, he's become addicted to the procedure and had the same done to one of his shoulders).  That's why I've been putting in close to full-time hours on this "part-time" job.

It's strange, realizing that I'm now one of the old-timers.  Good, but still strange.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2006, 04:10:04 AM »

We (der Brucer and I) are almost totally out of dog food.

I want to replace our fondue pot, since Fletcher broke our old one.

And I'm out of soda, but we're having a sale on Coke products, ten two-liter bottles for seven bucks, not a bad price.

That's the other reason why I work, aside from enjoying my job.  Have to earn the money to pay for this $..+.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2006, 04:11:10 AM by S. Woody White »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2006, 04:49:04 AM »

Well...I am only been on two boats - one was a .... no three....two outboard motorboats...and once flatbed riverboat.

Neither time was it exciting or interesting and I am not interested in repeating either experience.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2006, 04:50:27 AM »

Coyle & Sharpe!

Could we have the gnomes live in the house?
Well, I guess you CO-OULD!!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Tomovoz

« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2006, 04:56:26 AM »

Not even a Glass Bottom Boat with DD.
Good morning DR JRAND55
James Thurber 1957

Ben

« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2006, 04:58:41 AM »

I worked on a Showboat in 1976. We were docked and didn't travel at all but we were still on the boat. It was great fun and one of the highlights of my performing career.

I like boats but I have not taken any real boat trips. In spite of the cheesy aura usually surrounding cruises, I would love to take a cruise. I would like to leave from NYC on a ship such as the new Queen Mary and take a long, leisurely trip to Southhampton, get off, spend some time in dear old England and then return home on the same ship.

Ben

« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2006, 04:59:03 AM »

Good Morning all!

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2006, 05:18:34 AM »

Good morning, Ben.

TOD: While visiting my sister in Maine years ago, we went on a whale-watching cruise. And we took a couple of the ferry boat rides in Casco Bay.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Ginny

« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2006, 05:49:15 AM »

Tuesday morning greetings!  Yes, DR Elmore did pass up salsa and margaritas, but he and DH Richard and I have a breakfast date for tomorrow morning at the coffee shop near our house.

TOD - We live just north of Cincinnati, Ohio, which is on the Ohio River.  Every few years, since 1992, there has been a riverboat festival called

Tall Stacks

during which riverboats, both historic and new, rally on Cincinnati's riverfront.  We've gone to the fest every year, sometimes taking a cruise on one of the boats, sometimes just enjoying looking at them from the shore.  In 2003, DH Richard and I went with my mom and my aunt and rode on the Creole Queen in the Parade of Boats that was broadcast on WLWT-TV.  We were standing on the bow as we came into port, called DS Rob (who had just gotten home from school), and he saw us waving!

This year's Tall Stacks will take place during the week that many of us will be in NYC.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2006, 05:53:36 AM by Ginny »
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2006, 06:44:47 AM »

My dad bought his first boat when I was 10, a fiberglass 15 foot outboard... he worked in town and used to be home by 4:30  and it was only 15 minutes to the boatslip so almost every evening inthe summer he and I would go out fishing or just for a ride... it was beautiful watching the sun set over the Robert Moses Bridge across the Great South Bay.

The whole family (my two younger brothers, Mom , Dad & I) would often go out on a Saturday or Sunday with a cooler and a hibachi and go out to the State Channel where there were small barrier beaches.  We'd pull the boat up on the sand and  have a picnic and have the whole beach to ourselves.  Dad, the boys and I would go clamming with our feet and our parents (none of we kids could abide actually eating clams) would pop them open and eat them fresh from the sea (which I always found  a bit gruesome)

I once found a scallop... did you know they have blue eyes?  Hundreds of 'em!

We would also take trips over to Fire Island and dockl the boat at one or another of the little towns.... there is a Sunken Forest on Fire Island  a little forest below sea level between the Atlantic Ocean and the Great South Bay http://www.nps.gov/fiis/FireIslandTrek.htm

Later when we were teenagers,and then adults my parents bought a larger boat they would go to the far eastern end of Fire Island a spot called Watch Hill, a couple of miles east of Cherry Grove and The Pines and stay for a weekend or sometime as a week or more, several of their boating friends would go and dock up at the same time and they would have a little floating community there.

My friends and I  would take the Ferry over and spend the day  often wandering westward to Davis Park, Cherry Grove or the Pines or soemtimes taking the water taxi as far west as Kismet where they had two restaurants The Kismet Inn and The Kismet Out

A lot of my parents' boating friends passed away or moved away and after a while they decided it was too much work and too much money and they sold their last boat when the Vixter was about 2.  She has only ever been out on on large fishing boat when the Captree Boat Basin Annual Fair Weekend is on every falll and we go for a free ride.  

« Last Edit: May 09, 2006, 07:38:47 AM by vixmom »
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2006, 06:51:48 AM »

Good morning everyone! I am officially done- no more school, no more internship, nada! All I have to do is show up in two weeks wearing my cap and gown.

Ben

« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2006, 06:53:06 AM »

To quote yesterday's notes Hoo and Ray for TPunk!!!

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2006, 07:00:01 AM »

Congratulations, TPunk!!  How did your kids do when you said good-bye?
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up