Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: OLD MAN RIVER  (Read 19418 times)

Ginny

Re:OLD MAN RIVER
« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2006, 07:05:05 AM »

DR TPunk - Congratulations on your monumental accomplishment!  We must have photos of you in your grad garb.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2006, 07:19:59 AM »

We'd better have photographs of you in said cap and gown, TPunk.

My favorite boating experience was getting to cruise to Mazatlan, Puerto Vallarta, and Acapulco, first class, for free, and then getting to shoot an episode of The Partridge Family on the way back.  Now THAT'S a job!  The food was incredible, we were treated like royalty, and it was all very grand.

I also used to go with my ex-wife's family to Catalina twice a year, and I always took a speedboat out and cruised, which I liked very much.  Worst boating experience was when I went out with someone and we fished for sand dabs, and caught quite a few.  Unfortunately, the guy I was with cleaned the fish on the boat and I got so nauseous I thought I was going to die.

As a child, I used to do the motorboats at MacArthur Park (of the song).

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2006, 07:32:16 AM »

Good morning!

Gray skies here, and they're not supposed to clear up (apologies to Strouse and Adams) today. A little armer today than yesterday (high in low 70s), but it's been abnormally chilly at night, and I just can't seem to regulate correctly how much cover to put on the bed to get a warm night's sleep. Ah, well, I'll try again tonight.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #33 on: May 09, 2006, 07:33:41 AM »

Congratulations, DR TPunk!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #34 on: May 09, 2006, 07:36:29 AM »

Very gray here, too, but maybe it will burn off.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #35 on: May 09, 2006, 07:36:42 AM »

Have to figure out what I'm staging today.

Matt H.

« Reply #36 on: May 09, 2006, 07:38:22 AM »

I've never been on a cruise, but I've always thought it would be a fun venture. However, I would only want to do it with a bunch of friends, and all of my friends have been on cruises before and have no desire to repeat the experience. (Maybe that should tell me something!)

My late uncle was a creature of habit. He loved to travel to favorite places and do the same things he had enjoyed there before. Because he had no children, my brother and I were his children, and he took us many, many places. My first ten trips to NYC were with my aunt and uncle, and on EVERY one of them, we would take the boat trip around the island. Very enjoyable the first time around, and I didn't even mind the second time, but after the fourth or fifth time, it got OLD (the trip basically kills an entire morning or afternoon). I was glad when I became old enough for them to trust me out of their sight in NYC so I didn't have to go on that boat trip.

Ginny

« Reply #37 on: May 09, 2006, 07:40:18 AM »

My mother just booked her first cruise - to Alaska - and she will be almost 88 years old when she sets sail.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Matt H.

« Reply #38 on: May 09, 2006, 07:41:23 AM »

On my first trip to New Orleans, we took one of the paddleboats up the Mississippi. It was lots of fun, and the boat I was on served the BEST hurricanes I've ever had. Not Pat O'Brien's or any other place celebrated for their hurricanes could touch the one (or three!) on that paddleboat.

Matt H.

« Reply #39 on: May 09, 2006, 07:42:17 AM »

My mother just booked her first cruise - to Alaska - and she will be almost 88 years old when she sets sail.

Thanks, DR Ginny! That gives me hope that I will one day get to take one!   ;)

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #40 on: May 09, 2006, 07:42:27 AM »

My first ten trips to NYC were with my aunt and uncle, and on EVERY one of them, we would take the boat trip around the island.

We did this after our wedding with my parents and Vixdad's parents.  I also attended a wedding reception  on a boat that motored around NYC... very lovely they arranged for us to circle the Statue of Liberty at sunset

Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

Matt H.

« Reply #41 on: May 09, 2006, 07:43:11 AM »

I hope to get to Sunday's THE SOPRANOS today and also last night's OLD CHRISTINE and CSI: MIAMI.

On the DVD front, I have FALLEN ANGEL waiting for viewing.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #42 on: May 09, 2006, 07:43:23 AM »

Have to figure out what I'm staging today.
As long as you';re not staging another meltdown all should be fine  :D :-*
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

Matt H.

« Reply #43 on: May 09, 2006, 07:44:56 AM »

We did this after our wedding with my parents and Vixdad's parents.  I also attended a wedding reception  on a boat that motored around NYC... very lovely they arranged for us to circle the Statue of Liberty at sunset

That does sound lovely. A beautiful memory of your wedding day.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #44 on: May 09, 2006, 07:49:26 AM »

Cruise to Alaska is in my distant future....not that at my age I HAVE a distant future.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #45 on: May 09, 2006, 07:51:29 AM »

I took a paddleboat ride near Louisville when I was a kid. On the Ohio River.

Over at "Indiana Beach" aka Schafer Lake, we rode around on a pontoon boat. Mostly about that day, I remember going to eat at Burger Chef and one of the counter girls refusing to believe I was not Mikey from the LIFE cereals commercials. When my mom assured her I was not Mikey, I'll never forget the girl asking, "But is his NAME Mikey?"

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #46 on: May 09, 2006, 07:53:40 AM »

May I add my congratulations to the newly edu-ma-kated DR TPUNK.  And my outrage at Bosco's exclusion from the Park!

Also my congratulations to our local DOT - SR 267 now funnels four lanes down to two....which includes SIX lanes of Interstate 70 which exits onto the road necessitating three stop lights within 70 feet of each other.

AND for choosing this exact time to CLOSE old SR 267 which is one mile WEST of this road, runs parallel, and could carry MUCH of the traffic...were it not CLOSED CLOSED CLOSED CLOSED.

You truly cannot get there from here.  It took me 45 minutes to travel 1/4 mile.  So much for conserving gasoline.

Projected completion date:  November, 2006.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #47 on: May 09, 2006, 07:54:55 AM »

He likes everything!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #48 on: May 09, 2006, 07:55:57 AM »

AAMF, DR TOMovOZ...thanks to DRELMORE, I own and can enjoy Miss DD in the GLASS BOTTOM BOAT at my own leisure.

MR BK were you surrounded by autograph seekers - and did you wear sunglasses whiile on the filming cruise?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #49 on: May 09, 2006, 07:56:45 AM »

I have ONE Coyle & Sharp album....and the Home for Gnomes and 236 are two of my favorite cuts!

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #50 on: May 09, 2006, 08:01:42 AM »

My mom took us on a vacation to Wyoming once, and the highlight was rafting on the Snake River.

Did some canoeing in New Jersey near the Cheesequake State Park. I  like to type the word "Cheesequake."

Sometimes I take out-of-towners on a nice ride on the Staten Island Ferry which is free pleasure, especially when it is warm out.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #51 on: May 09, 2006, 08:02:56 AM »

He likes everything!

You don't know how many times I heard  that as a kid!

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #52 on: May 09, 2006, 08:05:16 AM »

The Home for Gnomes is great. And the Mole People.

Jennifer

« Reply #53 on: May 09, 2006, 08:10:43 AM »

Hey you guys are good. I was typing in asking for some postal vibes. Since an important package for my sister was to be delivered on Friday (and had yet to come). Anyhow it came as i was preparing to type. Although stuff was hanging out of it (and it was sort of half opened). What's up with that?

Anyhow I do still need postal vibes since i also sent a very important express envelope which should have arrived yesterday. It absolutely must arrive today! Fingers crossed.

Jennifer

« Reply #54 on: May 09, 2006, 08:16:13 AM »

DR MattH I am surprised that all your friends who have been on cruises have no desire to return. Every person i've heard of who has been on a cruise cannot wait to go back.

I went on a carribean cruise a few years ago, alone, and it was magnificent.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #55 on: May 09, 2006, 08:19:03 AM »

I have quite a few boating stories, as I was the (as they called it) "Featured Artist" on board a semi-popular dining cruise line here in Portland for almost 9 years, until they decided that they needed to match their mediocre food with equally mediocre entertainment, at which point I lovingly bid them adieu.  :)

Anyway, on one particular cruise, the captain, who claimed he had the patent on the hacky sack (I kid you not), ran us aground on a sandbar.  It was quite a violent little crash--all of the hanging glasses at the bar flew off and burst into a million little pieces (this was years before anyone had heard of James Frey), a chest of drawers fell over on a cruise manager and broke his arm, and I flew off the piano bench backwards.  There was much screaming and commotion.  Not wasting a moment, I picked myself up, dusted myself off, sat back down at the piano and began playing "The Morning After."  Personally I found it hilarious.  It was a major news event in Portland, and I was IV'd repeatedly, since most of the reporters knew I was married to Betsy, who was still doing news in those days.  I got royally reamed (hmmm....) by the owners of the cruiseline for deigning to speak to the reporters, even though I said that it was a Coast Guard buoy placing error (which later turned out to be entirely correct).  This was the first of many clues that this particular cruise line was managed by absolute idiots.  Here they had someone who knew all of the reporters making this the lead story on all the evening newscasts, and instead of using that to their advantage to get their side of the story out, freaked out and did a "Bush" and clamped down on all commenting.

Some other time I'll regale you with the story of the stowaway in the hold with the knife (shades of Clue)--and this was after the 9/11 protocols had been implemented to "beef up" security.  Oy.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #56 on: May 09, 2006, 08:22:01 AM »

I'm sure he has tales to tell! ;)

Tales AND tails....
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #57 on: May 09, 2006, 08:24:07 AM »

Good morning!  Good day!

« Last Edit: May 09, 2006, 08:24:25 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #58 on: May 09, 2006, 08:24:44 AM »

I don't know from the kinds of cruises you guys are discussing.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #59 on: May 09, 2006, 08:25:23 AM »

I once drove aboard an auto ferry in Corinth, Greece, and disembarked two days later in Rimini, Italy.  It was smooth sailing and an interesting experience.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up