Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: OLD MAN RIVER  (Read 19424 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:OLD MAN RIVER
« Reply #60 on: May 09, 2006, 08:25:33 AM »

Heading downstairs now to tend to some household chores and then on to lunch preparation.

WBBL.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #61 on: May 09, 2006, 08:28:07 AM »

Page Three Yzma and Kronk Dance!!!

If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #62 on: May 09, 2006, 08:33:15 AM »

Of course, I served on two aircraft carriers -- USS Carl Vinson (CVN-70) from 1984-87.  We had two Western Pacific "cruises" (called WestPacs, in Navy lingo).  One took me into the Bering Straits, then into the Sea of Japan with a brief stop in Osaka, Japan.  Next was Hong Kong.  From there we went to the Philippines for several days, and then onward to Singapore for another few days.  Afterwards we entered the Indian Ocean.  We had a couple of days in Mombasa, Kenya, and then spent a week or so off the coast of Somalia in December 1986 (that was the time when Somalia was getting international military assistance and supply drops, etc.).  We entered the Persian Gulf two days after Christmas that year and stayed there 97 days without setting foot on land.  Our first "landing" after that was Singapore (yes, again) and then on to Perth, Australia.  Then it was on to Honolulu and, finally, back into port in Alameda CA.  That was typical for that time of unrest in the Persian Gulf.  That was my second cruise.

On USS Kitty Hawk (CV-63) , Oct. 1992-Dec. 1993, our WestPac was a variation of that sans the Bering Straits/Sea of Japan diversion.  We were also not going to the Philippines any longer.  We did hit Singapore and Hong Kong.  During our Persian Gulf time (roughly 65 days), we made a port visit to Dubai in the United Arab Emirates which lasted about 7 days.  Of note during this time was that Saddam Hussein had violated the no-fly zone several times and the U.S. was, along with allied military forces, launching air strikes against military targets in Iraq.  My ship was the "launching pad", as it turned out, and we hosted a horde of international media on a daily basis for about two weeks.  My life, as assistant Public Affairs Officer and the ship's Chief Journalist/Broadcaster, was dedicated to meeting the logistical needs of those media reps while maintaining daily operations of ship's TV and newspaper.  Somehow it all worked out...it was euphoric and exhausting and one of the more interesting times of my life.  I lived on roughly 4 hours of sleep per day during those two weeks.

« Last Edit: May 09, 2006, 09:36:02 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #63 on: May 09, 2006, 08:42:47 AM »

I shall now be on my way to LACC, where I shall spend two hours doing something or another.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #64 on: May 09, 2006, 08:43:32 AM »

While I was serving on USS Carl Vinson, I took some time off and visited my parents back in South Carolina.  We went to their lake house and, for the first time in my adult life (actually, the first time since I was about 7 years old), I went out on a boat with my parents to fish.

I got sea sick!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #65 on: May 09, 2006, 08:51:10 AM »

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Express vibes for DR JENNIFER
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #66 on: May 09, 2006, 08:54:03 AM »

Did some canoeing in New Jersey near the Cheesequake State Park. I  like to type the word "Cheesequake."

Sounds like a new type of pizza at Pizza Hut.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

MBarnum

« Reply #67 on: May 09, 2006, 09:24:43 AM »

During the late 60s and early 70s my parents had a boat that we took to the lake often...my family was big into skiing. My dad sold the boat to finance my sisters wedding in 1971. However, my sister's marriage was to a river guide and we made many trips down the Rogue River throughout the 1970s.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #68 on: May 09, 2006, 09:26:33 AM »

Good morning everyone! I am officially done- no more school, no more internship, nada! All I have to do is show up in two weeks wearing my cap and gown.

CONGRATULATIONS TPUNK!!!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #69 on: May 09, 2006, 09:32:30 AM »

Re:  Last night's "Medium"

SPOILER POTENTIAL

I watched about half an hour and then started nodding off.  I was pooped/whipped/tired.  I was determined to outlast the show, however, but I admit I missed parts as I couldn't keep myself from nodding off.

Still....I got the gist of it.  And as for the last scene, as MattH commented last night, it seems they tried to be a little more clever than they needed to be...although, I think it does set up Grammer for future appearances as "death."
« Last Edit: May 09, 2006, 09:36:39 AM by Ron Pulliam »

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #70 on: May 09, 2006, 09:38:19 AM »

Anyhow I do still need postal vibes since i also sent a very important express envelope which should have arrived yesterday. It absolutely must arrive today! Fingers crossed.

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~SWIFT AS THE WIND POSTAL VIBES FOR DR JENNIFER!!~~~[/move]

« Last Edit: May 09, 2006, 09:39:35 AM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #71 on: May 09, 2006, 09:45:45 AM »

Good afternoon, all!  I got my father to the hospital by 8 am, and the technician told me to retrieve him from his PET scan in 3 hours.  I went to the hospital cafeteria, had a bit of breakfast, edited some of the new Act One libretto for BABES IN TOYLAND, read a bit of THE DAVINCI CODE (I've finished the Prada-wearing Devil), and my father joined me around 10:45.  He seems okay, so I took him out for a cheeseburger since the doctors are protein-ing him up for the chemo.

Now, I'm enjoying my  liesure at the public library.  Tonight, I have dinner with friends, tomorrow morning breakfast with DR Ginny.  The social whirl in Ohio is exhausting.  This town is so deplorable!

I never cruise, only chase.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #72 on: May 09, 2006, 09:49:13 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!ACCOLADES TO OUR DR TPUNK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[/move]
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #73 on: May 09, 2006, 09:51:17 AM »

Alas, the times I have been on a boat have been damned few and so I have no real interesting boating stories.  Those few times, I've been on a boat, I've always enjoyed it and it looks like a leisurely lifestyle...but one I've never actively pursued.  

Though with three lakes where I live and this lovely Kentucky spring, I keep thinking,  "Maybe I should get a boat."  Then I think: "Why?  You don't fish; you don't water ski; if you want to swim, you'd prefer a chlorinated pool...and think of the expense and up-keep, nah..."

We used to take a ferry across the river from Northern Kentucky to Coney Island in Cincinnati and that was always fun.  We've actually got a car ferry down on the Kentucky River.  And one of my High School reunions was spent on a paddle wheeler, going up the Ohio River for about three hours.

I've always want to take one of those steam boat cruises along the Ohio or Mississippi...probably in the fall.  I'm thinking it would be a lovely, leisurely way to spend the week and see the fall colours and the country.  But when I mention to other friends, no one else seems intrigued.  Maybe they regard as a sure sign of impending geezer-dom.

FJL

« Reply #74 on: May 09, 2006, 10:16:03 AM »

Congratulations to TPUNK!!!!

FJL

« Reply #75 on: May 09, 2006, 10:22:08 AM »

I enjoy the Circle Line around Manhattan when there's an interesting person doing the guiding announcements.  Also, the Jungle Cruise at the Magic Kingdom in Disney World is quite enjoyable, despite being attacked by an animatronic alligator.

And of course, I do enjoy the ferry across to Jersey from the pier on the West Side.  (That was for Tomovoz.)

Jennifer

« Reply #76 on: May 09, 2006, 10:30:52 AM »

Re: David Blaine from last night.

I happened to switch it over near the end (I was watching THE APPRENTICE). But I found it very unsettling to watch (he was in bad shape). So i switched it back and did not see the end.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #77 on: May 09, 2006, 10:32:23 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]! ! ! ! !  CONGA-GRATUALATIONS TO DR TPUNK  ! ! ! ! ![/move]
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Maria

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #78 on: May 09, 2006, 10:33:38 AM »

***CONGRATS, T'PUNK!***

If anyone wants an excuse not to celebrate Mother's Day, read, "Oh, mothers!"--  the cover article in the SCIENCE section of today's NY Times.

TOD - I was going to say I have no particular boat adventures to relate, but then I read DR Pulliam's post and remembered I'd been out on the aircraft carrier CONSTELLATION to do research for a screenplay. It was quite the experience. Nothing earth-shattering -- just really, really interesting. One thing that struck me was how incredibly young most of the sailors were.  

Jennifer

« Reply #79 on: May 09, 2006, 10:34:30 AM »

Congrats to DR Tpunk!

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #80 on: May 09, 2006, 10:35:51 AM »

Hey, I just made up a riddle:

What do they play when a mohel graduates?

(I bet DR FJL is the first one who guesses correctly.)
-- Anaïs Nin

Maria

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #81 on: May 09, 2006, 10:36:34 AM »

I should modify the last sentence of my post. But what the hey, go for it.

Postal vibes to DR Jennifer. (Although that sounds like I'm hoping she'll go out and shoot a few people.)

Jennifer

« Reply #82 on: May 09, 2006, 10:38:11 AM »

Re: last night's MEDIUM.

spoilers.

I did enjoy the show. Although it was pretty creepy having alison thinking she would die.  And i'm not quite sure why she didn't die.  I mean why do some of her dreams come true, but this did not.

I also think the demise of kelsey's character (not death) happened a bit too fast and didn't really make too much sense.

But it was interesting to see how everything unfolded.

FJL

« Reply #83 on: May 09, 2006, 10:38:54 AM »

Dan - Is it Pump and Circumcise?

Maria

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #84 on: May 09, 2006, 10:42:08 AM »

Hey, I just made up a riddle:

What do they play when a mohel graduates?

"Pomp and Circumcision"...?

Maria

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #85 on: May 09, 2006, 10:43:32 AM »

Great (Jewish) minds think alike.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #86 on: May 09, 2006, 10:44:47 AM »

I'll give a point each to DRs FJL and Maria.

Now how about this one:

How do you request a circumcision on the internet?
-- Anaïs Nin

FJL

« Reply #87 on: May 09, 2006, 10:46:00 AM »

I almost said The Theme from Shaft, but then I remembered this is a family site.

Maria

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #88 on: May 09, 2006, 10:46:07 AM »

...although I have to admit that FJL's "circumcise" is better than Maria's "circumcision"...

Maria

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #89 on: May 09, 2006, 10:48:23 AM »

Fun as this is, I have to get back to work. I don't think that the producer would accept "circumcision riddles" as a valid excuse for not getting my script in on time.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up